Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Lol if you own Shogun the book and not Shogun the cool DVD set with all the extra materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Worf posted:

I don't even think that list had game of thrones

It lists the first two books

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Heath posted:

2015 was a really annoying year culturally

There were a lot of articles complaining about a specific type of guy that lives in New York City.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

No Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance on that list, really missing the ur-faux intellectual white man book.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i'm noticing that white men own a lot of books, as well

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
What was your defense?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Extra Large Marge posted:

There were a lot of articles complaining about a specific type of guy that lives in New York City.

This puts a lot of things in context, honestly

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No Qur'an?!?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Books huh what are they a good for
(absolutely NOTHING)

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

BUG JUG posted:

No Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance on that list, really missing the ur-faux intellectual white man book.

There's no Still Life with Woodpecker or Prometheus Rising either.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Books huh what are they a good for
(absolutely NOTHING)

You can eat them

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Worf posted:

You can eat them

Bookworm detected

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Icochet posted:

I laid a minefield in front of by bookcase and built two machine gun nests at the top, creating a nice little killzone for anyone foolish enough to attack my Witcher books

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I always talk to dates about Aurther C Clark before asking them an important mathematical formula: RU>18QTπ?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Szyznyk posted:

Got dumped for having a Jay Leno’s Headlines book. Clean shoot.
It was in the bathroom, wasn't it?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Who the hell owns books anymore?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

Who the hell owns books anymore?

(User was dumped for this post)

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got humped for defending the Canon of Dead White Men

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I know an English lit canon guard, she is a very silly person

"books in this language should only ever be about rich Victorian English people having rich Victorian English problems and NOTHING ELSE EVER"

Australian word

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Animal-Mother posted:

I know an English lit canon guard, she is a very silly person

"books in this language should only ever be about rich Victorian English people having rich Victorian English problems and NOTHING ELSE EVER"

Australian word

hey all im saying is that REGUARDLESS of the race of the author, any book written after 1990 is garbage*

*unless it has a major motion picture adaption

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

one time i brought a girl home and she made fun of me for flossing and for having howard zinn on my bookshelf. i made her sleep on my couch.

whelp thats my story bye

https://youtu.be/IlrmORO1a_w

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Mooey Cow posted:

Lol if you own Shogun the book and not Shogun the cool DVD set with all the extra materials.

What if you have the fancy VHS set?

poo poo got gifted to me 20 years ago and follows me like a curse. I open the box it's in, see it's in there, and just close it and scoot it back into the depths of my closet, exhausted by the evil it contains.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

Australian word

shrimp on tha barbie?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

Australian word

lol

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How many Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro books do you have on display?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i dont see color when i read OP

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

looks like my collection of warhammer, forgotten realms, and witcher books will survive another purge

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

War and Pieces posted:

hey all im saying is that REGUARDLESS of the race of the author, any book written after 1990 is garbage*

*unless it has a major motion picture adaption

A lot of old literature sounds better than it is because people were taught proper writing techniques back then.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

I don't care if it's good or not it's obviously easier to write an influential novel in a world with 1000 or 10,000 or even 100,000 books published a year than what we have today.

I really do think that we as a culture have move beyond books for our era defining medium and I think middle school kids are smart enough to be forced to read that boring old poo poo instead of something that speaks directly to them, they can get that from TikTok

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

War and Pieces posted:

I don't care if it's good or not it's obviously easier to write an influential novel in a world with 1000 or 10,000 or even 100,000 books published a year than what we have today.

I really do think that we as a culture have move beyond books for our era defining medium and I think middle school kids are smart enough to be forced to read that boring old poo poo instead of something that speaks directly to them, they can get that from TikTok

People just want idiotic poo poo that takes the piss out of everything and a thin book they can fold into their back pocket. :shrug:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

People just want idiotic poo poo that takes the piss out of everything and a thin book they can fold into their back pocket. :shrug:

is "back pocket" slang for butthole in this instance?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Yaldabaoth posted:

A lot of old literature sounds better than it is because people were taught proper writing techniques back then.

As someone who read a lot of old pirate books published in the 1880s, no.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Is this an Onion-like website? I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Also, I've only read one of the books on that entire list--Who Moved my Cheese. lol

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Clearly it is parody as everyone quit reading "Game of Thrones" after the first three books, not the first two.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Worf posted:

Is that what you call your jizz bottle

Stealing this to insult live white men.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Mooey Cow posted:

i bought my parents that cool dvd set

i like taipan the book better

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Das Boo posted:

Stealing this to insult live white men.

The most dangerous game

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I'm sorry you've been dumped. I've also been dumped and I don't like it when it happens. We have a lot in common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Overall I think we should read less books by dead white English guys and read more books by dead white Irish guys.