Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

the holy poopacy posted:

is "back pocket" slang for butthole in this instance?

brb, boofing paperbacks into the club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

frantically googling the author of the book i'm interested in to discern race, religion and gender before deciding if i can enjoy the book

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
infinite jest is good

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i color in the photo in the "about the author" section with a sharpie so that any visitors casually perusing my bookshelf will think i have a vast collection of works by people of color

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

recently added justin trudeau's book to my collection

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

recently added justin trudeau's book to my collection

lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’ve never been dumped op.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I only have 4 books from this list and of those 4 I've only read 2 of them. An ex gf gifted me American Psycho and Freakonomics and I couldn't make it more than 20 pages into American Psycho and never even opened Freakonomics.

The other 2 are Wheel of Time and America The Book.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Extra Large Marge posted:

There were a lot of articles complaining about a specific type of guy that lives in New York City.

Is this like when it turned out all the bernie bro articles that started cropping up around the same time were largely referring to a specific couch surfing creep of a goon that for whatever reason hung out with a lot of journalists?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

limp_cheese posted:

I only have 4 books from this list and of those 4 I've only read 2 of them. An ex gf gifted me American Psycho and Freakonomics and I couldn't make it more than 20 pages into American Psycho and never even opened Freakonomics.

The other 2 are Wheel of Time and America The Book.

I didn't get through the whole list but for the first couple dozen it looked like 1 in every few entries was along the lines of "the grapes of wrath" that a good chunk of people probably just had to read in school as part of their basic "English" curriculum. It was confusing to see why they were included as a weird jab at whatever strawman the author is upset about. The other stuff like atlas shrugged or whatever, fine to make fun of but I mean then you're narrowing your window of attack down to libertarian dudes which while prevalent is pretty easy to avoid.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ArbitraryC posted:

I didn't get through the whole list but for the first couple dozen it looked like 1 in every few entries was along the lines of "the grapes of wrath" that a good chunk of people probably just had to read in school as part of their basic "English" curriculum. It was confusing to see why they were included as a weird jab at whatever strawman the author is upset about. The other stuff like atlas shrugged or whatever, fine to make fun of but I mean then you're narrowing your window of attack down to libertarian dudes which while prevalent is pretty easy to avoid.

bet you’re the type of guy on this list who owns a copy of lord of the rings, just shameful

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The list didn’t have The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Bad list.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

kntfkr posted:

infinite jest is good

that white man hasn't been dead for long enough. check back in a few decades

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Animal-Mother posted:

I know an English lit canon guard, she is a very silly person

"books in this language should only ever be about rich Victorian English people having rich Victorian English problems and NOTHING ELSE EVER"

Australian word

Show her Victorian erotica literature.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

is "austrialian word" a legal slur?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

On the Canon of Dead White Men, you do not, in fact, "got to hand it to them."

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I was like "heh yeah, lol Guns Germs & Steel, heh" all post-ironic and internetishly until she put Douglas Hofstadter on there and now I'm ready to fight someone

Szyznyk posted:

The list didn’t have The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Bad list.

Or Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6-XeyNMCJw

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint once got dumped because his partner found a shoebox full of cutout JCPennys models feet from the shoe section of the catalog

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i always remove the feet from my magazine cutouts too, hate seeing those

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

i always remove the feet from my magazine cutouts too, hate seeing those

William Henry Hairytaint will take them

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Worf posted:

Is that what you call your jizz bottle

Lmao owned

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

frantically googling the author of the book i'm interested in to discern race, religion and gender before deciding if i can enjoy the book

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

These days, there’s gotta be at least one volume of Nassim Nicholas Taleb on there. Most likely never opened, especially if the white dude in question is a loudmouth bitcoin bro.

I will cop to an original Naval Institute Press copy of Hunt for Red October being the only Clancy book I kept from when I was a literal loving teenager.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
That list is weird. There's a bunch of stuff like Tom Clancy which is fair, but then you have Lord of the Flies, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and The Bonfire of the Vanities which are well regarded literature by most people?

But yeah most of it sounds like airport books. Like, Lord of the Rings? The hell is that supposed to be?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

That list is weird. There's a bunch of stuff like Tom Clancy which is fair, but then you have Lord of the Flies, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and The Bonfire of the Vanities which are well regarded literature by most people?

But yeah most of it sounds like airport books. Like, Lord of the Rings? The hell is that supposed to be?

outed yourself as a white man. those are white man books

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there's only one lord of the ring i recognize :goatsecx:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
There's two rings in that picture.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I got dumped for having no goals or passions that can be monetized, and I guess my partner felt like a parent sometimes rather than a partner. She didn't address it to resolve any issues, just threw it at me during the announcement to separate. We own a house together, you'd think one would want to work things out but I guess not. I miss our cat and her laughter. And Dem tiddies

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Abandoning earthly attachments is the first step on the road to enlightenment. Or being a hobo goon:shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Steps on the path to dying alone

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hey you don't want to die in a group, that's way worse. Grandpa might have looked peaceful when he went but the screaming passengers in his car sure weren't

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Imagine being smug/lazy enough to copy paste a list of books, insert an insufferably smug title, and submitting it as content.,

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Am I wrong to believe the entirety of literary fiction is loving megalomaniacal bullshit written by suicidal drug addicts?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I love to read

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Yeah same here

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hate reading, love posting

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how to use a semicolon and if a book has even one I deem it too high-brow and stop reading. It's arty-farty pretentious punctuation acrobatics forced upon us by the liberal elites

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

https://youtu.be/lDeC5ifgTM4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

hate reading, love posting

yup.