Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I am a martyr to high literature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Torquemada posted:

There’s probably ways you could defend it without getting dumped, did you use gamer words in your disquisition?

the only gamer words I used were "culture" and "progress"

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Arthur C Clark. Philip K Dick, Issac Asimov, you know the usual crew

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Icochet posted:

I laid a minefield in front of by bookcase and built two machine gun nests at the top, creating a nice little killzone for anyone foolish enough to attack my Witcher books

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Animal-Mother posted:

I know an English lit canon guard, she is a very silly person

"books in this language should only ever be about rich Victorian English people having rich Victorian English problems and NOTHING ELSE EVER"

Australian word

hey all im saying is that REGUARDLESS of the race of the author, any book written after 1990 is garbage*

*unless it has a major motion picture adaption

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

I don't care if it's good or not it's obviously easier to write an influential novel in a world with 1000 or 10,000 or even 100,000 books published a year than what we have today.

I really do think that we as a culture have move beyond books for our era defining medium and I think middle school kids are smart enough to be forced to read that boring old poo poo instead of something that speaks directly to them, they can get that from TikTok

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

frantically googling the author of the book i'm interested in to discern race, religion and gender before deciding if i can enjoy the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

syntaxfunction posted:

That list is weird. There's a bunch of stuff like Tom Clancy which is fair, but then you have Lord of the Flies, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and The Bonfire of the Vanities which are well regarded literature by most people?

But yeah most of it sounds like airport books. Like, Lord of the Rings? The hell is that supposed to be?

Sorry pal but everyone in those beloved classic books is just too white, well except for the Indian Chief, maybe he should cameo in every novel