Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

cat botherer posted:

Spoons are fine because they are too smooth to get arcing. Forks are fine if they are submerged in stuff with enough water, because that is going to be conductive too.

Here's a better thing than metal: Get a few matchheads together and put them in the microwave. Then, very quickly, light the matchheads, close the door, and start it.

What happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

really?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Grapes are another fun one. Cut almost all the way through then place cut-side down (so as to appear as tits) on a plate. Enjoy your homemade plasma.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

Grapes are another fun one. Cut almost all the way through then place cut-side down (so as to appear as tits) on a plate. Enjoy your homemade plasma.

You can do that with little smokies sausages too... Just just set them so the ends touch and there will be some sparks flying

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Don't put anything in a microwave that you wouldn't put in your rectum.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Good way to get rid of gremlins

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I wonder who was the dumb motherfucker who tried to dry their pet in there

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

BigBadSteve posted:

What happens?

The water molecules in the soap heat up and react with the air pockets whipped into the bar to create steam that puffs the bar up into what looks like a wispy cloud. It’s a cool and simple science experiment.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
If you put even one atom of metal in the microwave, it can set off a chain reaction that explodes your whole kitchen. Sure maybe it's "unlikely" and "preposterous" but are you willing to take the risk? It was in the news this morning. A mother in AR forgot to take the spoon out of the cup of cocoa and they all died. My prayers are with the father, who lost his children. I am truly sorry for your lots.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
gently caress your lies, OP

https://youtu.be/OyTmJX_TC84

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol I had to go to the comments... I guess newer microwaves sense the metal and decrease the wattage.

I was reheating some Mac n cheese in an ancient microwave as a kid and I left the spoon in. Big old zap fairly quickly scared the crap out of me

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I wish microwaves & metal worked like lasguns and shields :hellyeah:

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
A high school party thrown by a known dickhead. His parents were out of town. Friends and I went because there was a keg of beer and girls. We ended up in the kitchen and we got the idea to put several eggs into a soup bowl with a fork and set the microwave for 5 minutes.

We evacuated to the back yard where the keg was, refilled our cups.

In a little bit people from the living room, etc. start coming out to the backyard. "Something smells bad in there".

We evacuated quickly. Walked through the kitchen and just glanced at the microwave. The eggs had exploded, possibly caught fire, and it was a black mess of goop inside.

It smelled like Satan had come by and farted. Even for the guy being a dickhead, I still felt a little bit bad. I'm not sure if it was cleanable or had to be replaced.

We then went and enjoyed some Carl's Jr, so the night worked out okay.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Didn't some girl try heating up a jaw breaker in the microwave and it exploded in her face like a shrapnel grenade?

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
I don't trust "microwaveable plastic" either. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me to heat up plastic with food products.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

You've all been so busy asking if you could that you didn't stop to think about if you should

You definitely should put metal in the microwave tho

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint asked to use my microwave and then put a bomb in it and it destroyed my kitchen

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

One thing they usually don't tell you at the microwave store is that you can put a cup 'o wotta in it to make tea instead of using the kettle. Another thing is that if you are in a hurry in the morning an need to boil an egg you can just put all the goo parts of the egg (the egg but without the exterior shell) in a cup and put it into the microwave with a cover and if you turn it on for a while you get delicious omelette ... in a cup

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Vakal posted:

Didn't some girl try heating up a jaw breaker in the microwave and it exploded in her face like a shrapnel grenade?

I think Mythbusters tested this out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bodhidharma posted:

I don't trust "microwaveable plastic" either. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me to heat up plastic with food products.

Reheating food in styrofoam is fun too

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Reheating food in styrofoam is fun too

it adds flavor*

*the state of California is trying to keep hidden flavors from you don't believe their lies

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You can have my delicious carcinogens when... Well, soon probably

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

"Microwaves leech all nutrients out of food"

-guy smoking resin out of a bubbler that hasn't been cleaned since 2006

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I run my microwave empty as a kitchen timer

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

You're all asking about putting metal into microwave but ain't nobody considered putting microwaves into metal

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Remember that video where the kid puts the glow stick in the microwave and you hear the dad like, "don't do anything stupid" and it explodes in his face? Lol love that

Speaking of microwaves why come thru gotta have those shields on the door that you can't see through ? I am guessing they were put there by manufacturers because otherwise, people would see all the crazy cool poo poo what goes on in there, and you'd become addicted to seeing all the cool stuff that can happen in a moicrowave

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Speaking of microwaves why come thru gotta have those shields on the door that you can't see through ? I am guessing they were put there by manufacturers because otherwise, people would see all the crazy cool poo poo what goes on in there, and you'd become addicted to seeing all the cool stuff that can happen in a moicrowave

It's a faraday cage. It blocks the electro magnetic radiation from the magnetron from escaping the microwave and blasting you in the face

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mostly nothing happens if you put metal into a microwave. Electroboom did a ton of experiments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyTmJX_TC84

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What was that movie where someone puts cans of hairspray or something in the microwave then sets it to 30secs or whatever and then it explodes and completely blows up the building when the timer goes off?

Under Siege: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El4Ka5AbLVY

I couldn't find a clip where he sets it and it's been years since I've seen it, but he sticks a bottle or can of something in it.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Microwave is a stupid name.

Magnetron sounds way better.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Lol at the idiots in this thread who manged to get themselved microwave cursed.

Like just get cursed normally you absolute fools.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Wilkins Micawber posted:

The microwave oven is a resonant cavity that forms standing waves of microwaves inside (which is also why you gotta have a turntable in there, as there are places where the waves have zero amplitude). Metal reflects microwaves, and the grating on the door is fine enough to effectively be another metal wall. If it wasn't there, the resonance would not form and the oven would be way less efficient. It might also mess with your wifi, though some do that anyway.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
I don't care. What is this poo poo? Who cares about any of that. Take off the screen. Just take it off. Faraday cage. That sounds like some dork poo poo, or like the beard scientist in Lost. take it off! I want to see the food and I ALSO want a nice suntan at the same time. Come on we can do this . I also want to put melamine in the microwave and chew on tin foil . I am an demon

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
You can reheat old diapers in the radar range And reanimate frozen hamsters. It is the microwave

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
My old microwave had bigger holes so you could see everything that went on in there, maybe get one of those

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mooey Cow posted:

The microwave oven is a resonant cavity that forms standing waves of microwaves inside (which is also why you gotta have a turntable in there, as there are places where the waves have zero amplitude). Metal reflects microwaves, and the grating on the door is fine enough to effectively be another metal wall. If it wasn't there, the resonance would not form and the oven would be way less efficient. It might also mess with your wifi, though some do that anyway.

Not the poster I'd expect to teach me something at 3:27AM high off my rear end.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I think Mythbusters tested this out.
Its the episode that actually got Mythbusters cancelled. Season 9, Episode 7 : "Will a fragmentation grenade to the face kill Kari?"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Remember that video where the kid puts the glow stick in the microwave and you hear the dad like, "don't do anything stupid" and it explodes in his face? Lol love that

Here is why they have the glass, here's an idiot using one without glass to microwave matches. He probably got a fun dose of radiation making this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BZP7MkpS4I

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Guys. I just did it. I put metal in the microwave!

It's combination convection/grill so looks a bit gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Sorry about your imminent demise :rip: