Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've been playing Slay the Spire all weekend and Monday morning and figured other imps are into these kinds of games. I'm also playing Inscryption but only at night time for vibes.

Got my first clears on each of the base three characters in Spire this morning. I think I got lucky with obvious/easy builds for the Ironclad and The Silent early on and cleared them after a try or two, but died something like 16 times in a row as The defect often in area one or two after reading the final boss first time. Finally got my first win this morning with a nice Darkness build going against the time slug, thankfully I got the donut brothers when I did a shiv run as The Silent.

Looking forward to trying out the DLC character next and then trying to unlock everyone's cards before the first levels of ascended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

phantom dust is free on windows, ive been thinking about trying that game for a while

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mbt posted:

phantom dust is free on windows, ive been thinking about trying that game for a while

Phantom Durst. It's just one of those decks

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

mbt posted:

phantom bust

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Phantom Durst. It's just one of those decks

its just one of those games
where you just wanna build decks
everybody plays
xbox is the best

you don't really know why
but you wanna justify
paying for the game pass

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mbt posted:

everybody plays
xbox is the best

but you wanna justify
paying for the game pass

Lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mbt posted:

everybody plays
xbox is the best

but you wanna justify
paying for the game pass

Lol

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

mbt posted:

everybody plays
xbox is the best

but you wanna justify
paying for the game pass

lol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

There's a cool Slay the Spire mod called Downfall that makes each act 1 and 2 boss a playable character and has you do a reverse climb and beat up the main characters at the end. Some of the decks are definitely way better than others but if you've conquered most of StS at the point it's great to check out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Plebian Parasite posted:

There's a cool Slay the Spire mod called Downfall that makes each act 1 and 2 boss a playable character and has you do a reverse climb and beat up the main characters at the end. Some of the decks are definitely way better than others but if you've conquered most of StS at the point it's great to check out.

Yeah it kind of throws a bunch of poo poo at the wall to see what sticks but the lack of restraint makes it cool. The boss fights against the main characters are really cool, i loved how they actually play cards against you

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

StS only gets better as you climb ascensions imo. I picked it up on PC to try downfall I'll stream it one of these days.

Right now I'm playing Monster Train and working on 100% completion. It's definitely a worse game than Spire overall but I can't put it down.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

This one is a little different but Backpack Hero released into EA today. There's an extensive demo I spent several hours on, it's a similar roguelike thing but instead of a deck of cards you're arranging items in a backpack. It's like a Resident Evil 4 suitcase inventory management roguelike. There's a bunch of little gimmicks to consider like magical items need to be connected to each other by "conduits" to power up, helmets give better armor bonuses when they're on the top row of your inventory and boots when they're on the bottom, stuff like that. It's sweet

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

everybody plays
xbox is the best

but you wanna justify
paying for the game pass

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

slay the spire ftw. dicey dungeons isnt rly a deck builder but it's similar enough to slay the spire, snappy life-or-death turn based fighting, always gambling on each move. good game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mbt posted:

everybody plays
xbox is the best

but you wanna justify
paying for the game pass

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mbt posted:

everybody plays
xbox is the best

but you wanna justify
paying for the game pass

lmfao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

slay the spire ftw. dicey dungeons isnt rly a deck builder but it's similar enough to slay the spire, snappy life-or-death turn based fighting, always gambling on each move. good game

It's like $5 on iphone and a good port, it's my go-to smoke break game

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mbt posted:

everybody plays
xbox is the best

but you wanna justify
paying for the game pass

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

mbt posted:

everybody plays
xbox is the best

but you wanna justify
paying for the game pass

nice

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mbt posted:

everybody plays
xbox is best

but you wanna justify
paying for the game pass

https://voca.ro/1akc2PyAbUw5

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I own Slay the Spire through some bundle or other, and someday I will install it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

amen, impsters

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lmfao

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

goferchan posted:

This one is a little different but Backpack Hero released into EA today. There's an extensive demo I spent several hours on, it's a similar roguelike thing but instead of a deck of cards you're arranging items in a backpack. It's like a Resident Evil 4 suitcase inventory management roguelike. There's a bunch of little gimmicks to consider like magical items need to be connected to each other by "conduits" to power up, helmets give better armor bonuses when they're on the top row of your inventory and boots when they're on the bottom, stuff like that. It's sweet

The demo was ftw and I'm looking forward to purchasing when back at my computar

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Played my first two runs as the watcher and this has been my experience to a tee.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Watcher is so cool, especially since it was just a surprise drop out of nowhere after the game had been out of early access for over a year. I've bought StS on 3 different platforms and it still has served me with one of the best $/hr ratios of any gaming purchase lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Played my first two runs as the watcher and this has been my experience to a tee.

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Watcher is so strong you just need to not gently caress up ever. She can pretty much beat act 1 with just her starter deck so you have leeway to fish for an infinite combo or some other busted strat

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Watcher is so strong you just need to not gently caress up ever. She can pretty much beat act 1 with just her starter deck so you have leeway to fish for an infinite combo or some other busted strat

shes fun to play but definitely the most difficult character, relies on lining up huge risky finishers and takes the gambling element to the max

my fave is silent, getting to the point where ur turns never end and playing 20 attacks and buffs at a time ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

all of them kick rear end except defect, idea behind defects cool but it just doesnt have enough oomph

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

all of them kick rear end except defect, idea behind defects cool but it just doesnt have enough oomph

the most fun i had playing defect was playing him as a dmg character and ignoring the power stuff

you can get a got combo going where youre passively zapping everything for 50 dmg before you even play a card but it takes so much buildup to get there

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I really like the Defect because when he goes off he's unstoppable, but he's hard to get a handle on, since his 'archetypes' don't mesh well into each other, and his strategy changes a lot as you go through ascensions.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah there's fun stuff like Claw that becomes unviable at high ascension so you just end up going for a million frost orbs most of the time.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
Griftlands is a mostly bad STS knockoff but the last character you unlock (Smith) is extremely fun and one of the better examples of rpg mechanics representing a character I’ve ever played, basically the closest thing we have to an Archer video game rn.

Runs are like 2-3 hours long tho and it really sucks to die on a final boss

On spire I’m on ascensions 16/16/15/8, I mostly play stoned and the watcher demands precision. I don’t like how samey all of her decks feel, she has a lot of really good commons and a lot of situational rares. In Switch but this downfall mod has me thinking about a double dip, is there a list of characters somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Yea, like silent can pick up Envenom and it'll work well in both poison and shiv, but there's no crossover if you're doing a Thunder heavy build and you want to transition a bit into claw/scrape, you have to do some really hard reads on what exactly you're playing very early.