Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

my friend has been playing "plate up" it's roguelite overcooked. i played through the demo and i'll probably pick it up if he ever wants to play multiplayer. apparently if you really get going it turns into factorio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Got the Purity trophy tonight for having 3 or less cards in your deck (in combat across your draw, hand, and discard piles). Was doing a frost run on the defect with the intention of taking on the heart. Run didn't seem that likely to go the distance mid Act 2 as I had decent defense but no real scalable damage. Hit the triple crow fight twice. Ended up picking up the Purity card to exhaust up to 3/5 cards in my hand. Also just got super lucky in shops and across ? events that I was able to remove a bunch of cards. First boss relic was the birdcage too (remove 2 cards).

Towards the end of Act 2 was near death and realised I had 10 total cards and with Purity could only purge it down to 5 in any combat. Then god smiled on me and I realised I had the Automaton as the boss for Act 2. Had like three combats left between me and him. Got to the bonfire with like 5 HP. Then managed to get Purity second turn, purged my whole hand (of all the cards I actually needed lol) and then thankfully his helpers took my two cards in turns 2 and 3. Might be even more stressful than it was getting to Donu with the Eat card.

honestly felt like JoJo's trick when I realised I could get to 3 cards by letting the automaton helpers confiscate them lol

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It’s big boy season

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

EmmyOk posted:

It’s big boy season

Incredible

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

It’s big boy season

mama mia

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

It’s big boy season

one of the best feelings in the game

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Arch Nemesis posted:

one of the best feelings in the game

I think it's tied with having thorns or fire barrier while the three birds are winding up 1x 5

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

It’s big boy season

the dream.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

EmmyOk posted:

It’s big boy season

Nice ice cream.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

It’s big boy season

glorious

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

welcome posted:

Nice ice cream.

that's how this boy got so big, baby!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

How many people have got this event?

quote:

The Divine Fountain is an event that can appear in Act 1, Act 2, and Act 3. You encounter a fountain of sacred water with a power to cleanse you of all Curses.

I never saw it before like like 100 hours and asked Go5 and she hadn't either. Wondered if it was new or only after certain level of ascended. Checking the wiki though that's not the case and there are comments saying they got it for the first time years ago. Feels like it's very rare.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I’ve ran into it a few times in Act 1. Don’t know if it matters, but I only ever play on my phone

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

How many people have got this event?

I never saw it before like like 100 hours and asked Go5 and she hadn't either. Wondered if it was new or only after certain level of ascended. Checking the wiki though that's not the case and there are comments saying they got it for the first time years ago. Feels like it's very rare.

not once lol

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I have a whole lot of hours logged and have never seen it. Maybe it only shows up if you have 3+ curses that can be removed or something?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I think I've seen it once, probably in a curse based daily.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
yeah i think it only happens if you have curses to remove. and for high ascension players its one of the events completely removed by "less favorable events" so those players will just never see it period

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I only had one curse when I got it, so one is enough. I do generally proactively remove curses but I've also been stuck with plenty like the bell curse for multiple acts. though on writing probably the bell doesn't count there do to being totally irremovable. Even so I'm surprised iv'e only seen it once and it seems to be rare! The highest A I'm on is 7 so haven't gotten the restriction on events yet

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

yeah i think it only happens if you have curses to remove. and for high ascension players its one of the events completely removed by "less favorable events" so those players will just never see it period

I saw it on A20 the other day, I think it's just really rare. Could have sworn I read something like it only appears in Act 1 maybe?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
its definitely common to all 3 acts. and yeah i thought there were a few events a15 removed but i checked and its literally only note for yourself lol. so my bad on that one.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

There are actually two types of events, standard ones and “shrine events.” The latter only appear after the act chest and i think they have a lower frequency too. I think that event is one of them, so you need to have a curse, in the back half of the act, roll a shrine, and then get that shrine

iirc you are guaranteed a combat on the question mark you take after a shrine

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

never seen it. ive played the game for over 1 hours.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Plebian Parasite posted:

I really like the Defect because when he goes off he's unstoppable, but he's hard to get a handle on, since his 'archetypes' don't mesh well into each other, and his strategy changes a lot as you go through ascensions.

I've been playing him a lot lately and it just feels like anything other than frost builds hit a wall pretty hard. I find lightning really needs Electrolysis by the time I get to act 2 or stuff like the triple crow or slavers, or robbers etc. become a nightmare, or the collector. Whereas any Frost run that gets motion will probably finish the run.

e: I guess mostly I find getting good blocking with him a struggle especially when you get a lot of frail encounters if you're not running frost. And if I'm running frost I'll usually grab a blizzard and then stick to frost vs mixing in dark or lightning or something.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
its totally cool on defect to take stuff like frost shard/glacier/chill without needing to grab a blizzard cuz you see it. its always worth remembering that this game is less about building out archetypes and more grabbing what you need to win atm. defect challenges you to remember that cuz a lot of its cards just look worse in a vacuum. but stuff like glacier/frost shard/doom and gloom/ball lightning are cool to just take as filler cuz you need more damage or block or w/e.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

its totally cool on defect to take stuff like frost shard/glacier/chill without needing to grab a blizzard cuz you see it. its always worth remembering that this game is less about building out archetypes and more grabbing what you need to win atm. defect challenges you to remember that cuz a lot of its cards just look worse in a vacuum. but stuff like glacier/frost shard/doom and gloom/ball lightning are cool to just take as filler cuz you need more damage or block or w/e.

I don't find that to be the case that often. Sure I'll pick up cards for specific moments in time especially early on picking up the laser attack to hit all enemies in Act 1. After that though I don't think it has enough blocking options outside of Frost. Something like blur or entrench to make even common block cards powerful. A mix of lightning and frost would work but I think just doing a pure frost/blizzard build will still be stronger and probably easier to set up.

Doing ascended isn't that fun for me so I expect to burn out in another hundred hours long before I get to A20 anyway. They mostly feel like they restrict each character to very limited builds instead of adding fun new twists imo.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Reinforced body is often a good pick up since it turns however much energy you want into block for only one card draw

But yeah defect does gets frustrating to me on high ascension cause it feels like you need to get all of frost generation, capacity, and focus to really stand a chance. My last defect run only ever saw a single defrag for scaling but I limped all the way to the heart on the back of self repair and meat on the bone.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I think defect's biggest problem, especially at high asc, is that it scales well through a fight but starts very weak after act 1. both powers and orbs take a little bit to come online, and defect's focus on those two makes it so you're likely to take more hits at the beginning of a fight than the other two characters, which bleeds you out unless you can find a tool to deal with it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, cards like buffer and genetic algorithm feel like an attempt to address that but it's still real easy to get chipped to death over act 2

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Defects my highest ascender by far but as soon as I got to A19 I started getting absolutely annihilated in act 1 half the time and by the first act 2 elite the rest of the time. I have no idea how I got this far in the first place. Time to work on Silent I guess..

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Good news! Silent is a whole different ballgame of getting annihilated by the first elite

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
lol silent. its a super niche topic so i have no idea about updates but last i heard silent was the character people used to find truly unwinnable seeds, and have found a few, because silent has a slight edge in that department. its genuinely some cool stuff they do its just pretty pointless outside of learning a cool factoid or two

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

lol silent. its a super niche topic so i have no idea about updates but last i heard silent was the character people used to find truly unwinnable seeds, and have found a few, because silent has a slight edge in that department. its genuinely some cool stuff they do its just pretty pointless outside of learning a cool factoid or two

Yeah, mathematically if silent gets a seed with Lagavulin as an unavoidable first elite and no attack cards offered before that it's unwinnable

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i could win it.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

decent pulls the first two turns, plus help from a duplication potion

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

he's gonna get hit by it a second time before he would cleanse it, right?

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

b_d posted:

Yeah he died after turn three

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

b_d posted:

yeah with very few exception the game is set up to benefit the player. so like poison always goes off before the enemy turn so you get one more tick of damage before cleanses, and lots of other smaller things.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

got this on pc and going back to low ascension is so chill now just playing cards and feeling the vibes

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

herculon posted:

decent pulls the first two turns, plus help from a duplication potion

Niceee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Poison is so good. Totally unaffected by any status effects, incredibly scalable, and totally ignores block or stuff like the birds damage reduction