Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

One thing that helps with defect is to really go after upgrades, there's a lot of Defect cards like Fission that are dogshit at first but amazing when upgraded. I'll pass up elites for campfires sometimes on Defect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

Yea, like silent can pick up Envenom and it'll work well in both poison and shiv, but there's no crossover if you're doing a Thunder heavy build and you want to transition a bit into claw/scrape, you have to do some really hard reads on what exactly you're playing very early.

yeah thats it exactly, and also most of its builds don't scale up hard enough to deal with ascensions regularly

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

P-Mack posted:

Yeah there's fun stuff like Claw that becomes unviable at high ascension so you just end up going for a million frost orbs most of the time.

I've had some success with the strat that plays/recurses your 0-costs with Claws at high ascension. But yeah, agree with others here that defect is really hard at high asc for a number of reasons. IMO at asc 20 easier to harder it's silent > ironclad > watcher >>> defect

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rogue book is like slay the spire if it was a lot slower and clunkier lol. the art is great and im really trying to like this game, giving it another shot, idk if anyone else has tried it and would sell/deter me on it lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

extremebuff posted:

rogue book is like slay the spire if it was a lot slower and clunkier lol. the art is great and im really trying to like this game, giving it another shot, idk if anyone else has tried it and would sell/deter me on it lol

It's one of the best indie treasures I've ever played bob and your going to love it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

It's one of the best indie treasures I've ever played bob and your going to love it.

130 hours in when i realize this was a troll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfxLerM80zY

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Wormskull posted:

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh yah monster train is this and it pwns, best one ive played that isnt slay the spire

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I couldn't get into Monster Train, STS ftw though

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

As a novice I liked The Defect but of the three base characters he's easily the trickiest for me. The Ironclad and The Silent both have pretty clear synergies and builds that are easy to figure out for a new player. The Silent especially is really self-explanatory with her two main set-ups. The Defect is really hard to know where your early choices will lead you and I find it hard to figure out a build based on my early draws. I think his starting stuff is so strong and he has a bunch of strong build-independent draws you can get through the first two areas with a bad build before getting creamed in The Beyond.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I don't know why but Watcher is by far my favourite and the one I find easiest. I'm on A20 with her and like 6 with everyone else.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i've played so many of these turds.

monster train and griftlands are the only sts likes worth playing. lots other people like inscyption but it didn't scratch the same itch for me.

dicey dungeons and luck be a landlord are good despite not really being deckbuilders

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

everyone already knows about sts and monster train but One Step From Eden was pretty fun. however it is not a turn based game like those, its like hectic battles on a grid where you have to dodge and stuff. the dev said its inspired by the battle network games idk i've never played those. you draft and upgrade cards that are your attacks like in every other stupid deck game released since sts tho. i got it on switch a few years ago, pretty cool. its also on steam and probably ps and xbox idk

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mysterious loyall X posted:

everyone already knows about sts and monster train but One Step From Eden was pretty fun. however it is not a turn based game like those, its like hectic battles on a grid where you have to dodge and stuff. the dev said its inspired by the battle network games idk i've never played those. you draft and upgrade cards that are your attacks like in every other stupid deck game released since sts tho. i got it on switch a few years ago, pretty cool. its also on steam and probably ps and xbox idk

yeah I like this one. it's on game pass on Xbox too so it's an instant ten with the game pass bump. it's very frantic and fast paced but it has a lot of cool poo poo to unlock

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

its like battle network but only boss battles and 10x as hard

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

one step from Eden is for pro gamers only. I loved it but I definitely have never beat it. I should give it another go

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i only played it for an hour or two but never got past the third region lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
has anyone tried the new Gwent game that came out recently?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

extremebuff posted:

I fell off really hard after the same day the game came out of early access they dropped a new champion DLC for like 15 dollars. Felt a little scummy. It's also the type of game where by the end of act 1 you have a pretty good handle on whether you're going to steamroll the rest of the game or whether you have zero chance of winning. So it's either boring or grueling depending on the draws. That being said it's far from the worst deckbuilder and you'll probably get your moneys worth by the time the game wears thin.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Helpful defect tip- having a stack of artifact from core surge or some other source lets you play biased cog with no downside, alternatively you can remove with orange pellets. Orange pellets is extremely good for everyone but especially so on defect.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I also was garbage at One Step From Eden's base game, but they introduced a mode that slows down enemy movement by 1% every time you die. So I eventually was able to see the final bosses and areas just from perseverance. Fun game, though am happy that Mega Man Battle Network remakes are coming to scratch that itch in an easier way.

I love Slay the Spire, haven't really played any other deckbuilders than it and One Step From Eden. I am interested in Tape to Tape, which is a roguelite "deckbuilder" where the deck you build is a hockey team, but that comes out at the end of the year.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

just bought a key for one step from Eden for like $3.50 off g2a so I can play it on my steam Deck :cheers:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Plebian Parasite posted:

I fell off really hard after the same day the game came out of early access they dropped a new champion DLC for like 15 dollars. Felt a little scummy. It's also the type of game where by the end of act 1 you have a pretty good handle on whether you're going to steamroll the rest of the game or whether you have zero chance of winning. So it's either boring or grueling depending on the draws. That being said it's far from the worst deckbuilder and you'll probably get your moneys worth by the time the game wears thin.

i got it on sale on switch after some youtube vids recommending it so it wont sting too bad if it sucks, tyty.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

when you play a turnbased shadowdark roguelike and battles don't resolve in 10 seconds max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0whUL3ol0dM&t=78s

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Building a poison deck in area one then the boss relic I take gives me three random relics almost all of which based explicitly around Shivs

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Building a poison deck in area one then the boss relic I take gives me three random relics almost all of which based explicitly around Shivs

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
For me, Ironclad is easiest.

Watcher is second easiest, with the caveat that she gets rolled if you stop paying attention.

Silent is third because it rewards conservative play… I sometimes get trapped with all block and no scaling.

Defect is hardest because their scaling is all combo driven and takes time to set up, but without Silent’s damage mitigation.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

picked up sts again because of this thread. switch version. i wish this had crossplay with pc

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Managed to collect the three keys for the first time! Got the final boss down to like 33% but never really had a chance. Had a strong Juggernaut deck going and had like 140HP and a res with 50% hp relic going in and it was a slaughter. At least I got the trophy for eating the donut boss lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Managed to collect the three keys for the first time! Got the final boss down to like 33% but never really had a chance. Had a strong Juggernaut deck going and had like 140HP and a res with 50% hp relic going in and it was a slaughter. At least I got the trophy for eating the donut boss lol

I don't like the final boss much. Some decks can get right to that point fairly easily but never really have a chance against it, which isn't good design imo, if you can get to a boss you should be able to beat it. I am kind of bad at the game though lol

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah, some of the last boss' gimmicks make it very hard to deal with the first time, when you don't know to prepare for them. Definitely doable though, good luck!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't like the final boss much. Some decks can get right to that point fairly easily but never really have a chance against it, which isn't good design imo, if you can get to a boss you should be able to beat it. I am kind of bad at the game though lol

agreed. I bascally dont bother with th last boss anymore and just do acts 1-3

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah, same. It is possible for sure that I don't know the classes well enough, but where I'm at ascension-wise, Ironclad is my favorite for feeling like it has the most varied deckbuilding options that stay consistently viable. I like Silent, too but feel like I'll probably just go poinson 100% of the time because it doesn't have pitfalls/enemies it is fairly hard countered by in the same way, and Defect feels even worse with being locked into using one million frost orbs.

Some deck themes are more readily apparent than others, but I don't feel like any class is really more difficult or advanced, and despite being the starter class, Ironclad ends up the most fun and interesting one to me because it feels like, other than weirdo builds/runs like an early Snecko eye, I have like 4 valid, fairly consistent deck themes, vs 1 or 2 with most other classes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't have much of an opoinon on the hearty eat because I only made it there once so far but it's definitely a big step up. Imagine I'll need something that scales more or a weakness attack to have more of a chance next time. Poison seems like it would do well as it seems to be one of the bosses that never removes a debuff on itself like the champion or awakened do.

I think the boss I'd delete from the game is the Time Eater (slug and watch). He's fine for most builds but just becomes an almost totally hard stop for shiv based builds. Every build has its strengths and weaknesses and share of nasty encounters. I don't think any of those is as hard a stopper as Time Eater is to a shiv build though and it occurs so late in the game you'll be locked in by then. I'm sure you can mitigate it somewhat but I think by act 3 you'll be set in your build and a strong shiv build is all about volume.

Go5 mentioned there are infinite decks that can even be active from your first turn if you play your cards right (lol) so I assume it's also a counter to that. It seems like those decks will only be stopped 1/3 times though and instead it massively penalises one of the most common synergies in the game. I like poison but I feel obliged to take it if it shows up over shivs just because of that boss.

I think if they raised his card limit from 12 to 20 or removed his buff of +3 str when the limit is hit that would improve things a lot.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I like Time Eater a lot of the time, but yeah, it's frustrating that you're basically hosed if you are playing a build that wants to play infinite low-value cards. Makes those builds just less desirable. Last boss has some of that too with the heartbeat ability and damage cap per turn. Weakness attacks/things that lower str are definitely valuable for the last boss, for the move that hits you ~30x for one damage. Thorns potions are very good against that boss for the same reason, can easily rack up 100+ damage on their own.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

now imagine this post was about dark souls. now quadruple the genders, and reverse them.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the best way to beat the heart is to set your game to ascenion level 1 so you get more elite spawns with none of the bad stuff with it, and then go for as many elites as possible for artifacts, beat the heart for the goofy beta version artwork, and then never try to beat the heart again. nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this and FTL have the exact same problem lol