Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mbt posted:

this and FTL have the exact same problem lol

its time for all of us to accept that FTL loving sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That Little Demon posted:

Devs knew, they titled their own game For The Lose

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

now imagine this post was about dark souls. now quadruple the genders, and reverse them.

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

90% of FTL kicked fuckin rear end but the boss is a pile of dogshit and makes th game way worse

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Fungah! posted:

90% of FTL kicked fuckin rear end but the boss is a pile of dogshit and makes th game way worse

it ruins the game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mbt posted:

yeah

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

at least you cn skip the last boss in this though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

it ruins the game

idk, i like the first seven zones a lot. i wish th last boss were optional though

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the only time i beat slay the spire was with that cheesy claw scrape deck for defect where you remove everything and make almost all of them 0 cost so you can stack claw damage three times a turn or whatever. and i still nearly died to the loving heartbeat.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I beat th last boss with (ty lyle for the strat) thorn silent bcause the last boss takes an jnsane amount of damage when it attacks

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

caltrops/thorns are really good against the heart. if you have the titanium bar or w/e that decreases all incoming damage by 1 it will do 12 0 damage attacks but still take a bunch of thorn damage.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When those stupid birds load up three 1x5 attacks while you have thorns

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also that skill that does 6 damage to enemies when you draw a status or curse card is so pleasing to have when you're up against the trio of guys who keep spamming double haze cards on your rear end

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Also that skill that does 6 damage to enemies when you draw a status or curse card is so pleasing to have when you're up against the trio of guys who keep spamming double haze cards on your rear end

this is absolutely my favorite build. stacking that with with a lot of draw when youre hurt+draw on a debuff+inflicting yourself w as many curses and grabbing as much selfdamage and life steal as possible. by the time i hit the a3 boss i roll up like

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

You can wreck time eater easy with a shiv deck, just play twelve cards a turn.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

caltrops/thorns are really good against the heart. if you have the titanium bar or w/e that decreases all incoming damage by 1 it will do 12 0 damage attacks but still take a bunch of thorn damage.

I had the tungsten rod and torii (reduces any damage under five to one) and went through 5 of those zero damage turns as my lovely low damage deck wore the heart down

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

P-Mack posted:

when I play sts I like to imagine the bosses as being human opponents. when I make shiv decks I imagine them saying "oh here we go, this poo poo again" as my third turn spams 20 shivs in a row

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

IDK how I became so loving bad at STS like I can't even win on A1 with anybody lol

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
You guys convinced me to reinstall this and now I'm getting tilted trying to do a Minimalist run, thanks a lot

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I played like five games of this and couldn't get past act 2. Forgot how to play this.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

P-Mack posted:

this but unironically. if you have shuriken or kunai then it's not hard to outscale it

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

P-Mack posted:

little munchkin posted:

this but unironically. if you have shuriken or kunai then it's not hard to outscale it

That was the key for me learning how beat TE consistently: Be prepared for his level up, but by scaling faster, not worrying about # of cards played.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rabid Boar posted:

You guys convinced me to reinstall this and now I'm getting tilted trying to do a Minimalist run, thanks a lot

it's pretty easy with a claw scrape deck but if you don't get the cards you need by act 2 you might as well restart lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Yeah, I wasn't joking at all, a shiv deck has a ton of flexibility on that fight to either run straight to the end of the counter or play a couple powers and wait for next turn. Awakened One with a powers deck is a much bigger "hard counter" problem for me than Time Eater with shivs.

Anyway, just finished C25 divine victory with every clan combo in Monster Train. Kind of have mixed feelings on the endgame- on the one hand the DLC adds a bunch of cool combos and the added difficulty is really needed, but the optional boss is different enough from the rest of the fights to cut off a lot of formerly valid strats and straitjackets you into building around a single massively scaling unit with multistrike or alternately putting holdover on some completely busted spell like Hallowed Halls. It's like if Spire revolved entirely around just finding different obscenely degenerate combos like Dead Branch + Corruption instead of building a well rounded deck.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!

Larry Parrish posted:

it's pretty easy with a claw scrape deck but if you don't get the cards you need by act 2 you might as well restart lol

I'll have to try that. My attempts were mostly as the Ironclad, and I once made it to the Act 3 boss with six cards which was sort of frustrating. Oh well, at least it killed me lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went to play slay the spire because we talked about it and my very first run was shiv build Silent into time eater. Lol. gently caress that

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I went to play slay the spire because we talked about it and my very first run was shiv build Silent into time eater. Lol. gently caress that

Skill issue, as discussed

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

IDK how I became so loving bad at STS like I can't even win on A1 with anybody lol

i restarted and beat it first try, then I havent beaten it a single time again lol. the unlocks give you more wiggle room for sure

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Got too ambitious with the fiend fire deck I was using and accidentally got the purity achievement before dying.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Choosing a random boss relic to replace your starting relic and getting the one with “… lose the ability to see enemy intent” ftl

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Choosing a random boss relic to replace your starting relic and getting the one with “… lose the ability to see enemy intent” ftl

thats the reason i 100% never pick that lol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Picked this up and immediately got my shiv deck time eaten.

I think the really sinister part of time eaters moveset is when he restricts your card draw. It's killer to try to play an appropriate tempo against him only to have him bust the rhythm of your deck.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Plebian Parasite posted:

Picked this up and immediately got my shiv deck time eaten.

I think the really sinister part of time eaters moveset is when he restricts your card draw. It's killer to try to play an appropriate tempo against him only to have him bust the rhythm of your deck.

yeah its not just shivs, if you have a lot of auto moves the stacks are pretty much out of your control. ive managed to claw out of a shiv build in a3 when i saw him but it was an extremely tight fight

i like that every enemy frenzies overtime so you're pressed to take risks, but timeeater's frenzy plus the time stuff feels super punishing. i kinda wish a miniboss in a3 had a similar mechanic so you could train up on the time mechanic a little bit.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Defect ftw, got up to A16 by picking a billion powers but now I just get pasted by the first act 2 elite. Next best is silent at like A7.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

defect is probably my favorite, i love passive dmg

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

It's not that bad if you run defect frost orb bullshit or similar where you're gonna put up a ton of block every turn anyway

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

EmmyOk posted:

The enemies have fairly regular movesets… so ostensibly you should be able to remember how they go…

I’m like 180h in, and I’m still not confident enough.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’ll probably just take the energy items with way less difficult modifiers lol.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

EmmyOk posted:

I’ll probably just take the energy items with way less difficult modifiers lol.

I think the real nerds who know everything by heart consider that one of the best but it's just not fun to me lol. Feel the same way about that frozen eye relic that lets you see the order of cards in your deck -- I don't want to have to think about that poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

I think the real nerds who know everything by heart consider that one of the best but it's just not fun to me lol. Feel the same way about that frozen eye relic that lets you see the order of cards in your deck -- I don't want to have to think about that poo poo!

yeah this! its too many extra steps man, just give me slaver's chain