Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

bought switch slay this morning and I'm already fighting the heart. silent ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

When I bought it on PC and did my first silent run I nearly blew it cause I went poison and I didn't realize Catalyst was an unlock. Had to kill the heart by piling 14 stacks of intangible and waiting for noxious fumes to ramp up.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Didn't think you could fight the heart on an initial run with any character.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Might have been A1 I can't remember

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Catalyst is a level 1 unlock, so you'd have it after beating the game with Silent once. Unlucky not getting it, though.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oh I'm shivving

edit: dude lol

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 22, 2022

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I got super lucky last run and maybe got the strongest deck I've had. It may fall apart on later ascensions, though, I'.m not that far. Got two earli Limit Breaks and then Rampage or whatever the name is of the card that does like 4 damage to everything and heals the same amount. Found a 2nd one and was able to just play that really. Next ascesions modifier is less heals on boss clears or something, but this run made that seems slightly less annoying.

Def curious about how much ascesions switch things up. Played a bunch of StS a while back but then started on Hollow Knight I think before digging into Ascensions & now back and half-remembering stuff.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

lol oh my god

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh I'm shivving

good lord lmfao

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The game only gets better on higher ascensions imo, early fights are harder which forces you to be a lot more creative in your deck building since you can't afford to just wait for all the pieces of a combo to show up. Unless you're Watcher.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh I'm shivving

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I should play this fuckin game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

P-Mack posted:

The game only gets better on higher ascensions imo, early fights are harder which forces you to be a lot more creative in your deck building since you can't afford to just wait for all the pieces of a combo to show up. Unless you're Watcher.

more common elites and harder enemies means you get more relics and more loot so you have more options in the first place too. it's ftw

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It kicks mondo rear end.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

slay the spire rules. i have it on multiple systems and Ive beaten it a bunch of times and its still so easy to lose yourself in

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sts has been my i dont know what else to play game for a while now, its so fun and now that i have all th unlocks it's easy to just throw on a random dude and slam a run out

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Turns out it's on sale on Switch for $10. Thank You Imp Zone

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/dinominal/status/1562133339552636928

:sweatdrop:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Good poo poo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol bad rear end

I had a run as The Watxher earlier where I accidentally let the goop boss hit me for 70 unblocked damage Emile in wrath. Went on to kill him when he split into two 7 hp slimes without taking any more damage

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKQOXYB2cd8

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Good work gamer

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Installed slay the spire last night and only got three hours of sleep for work and hell I’ll do g he same tonight after I eat this burrito

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Been playing Dicey Dungeons like a sucker when I should be playing Slay the Spire

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

oh one thing that's absolutely infuriating is that the x and y buttons do the same thing on PC and Switch versions, even though they're in opposite positions

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Boss swapped for broken crown and won with a cobbled shiv deck. Silent ftw

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only bad thing I can say about slay the spire is the phone one takes a long time to load for some reason

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

herculon posted:

Been playing Dicey Dungeons like a sucker when I should be playing Slay the Spire

its good. you can still setup infinites and bonkers stuff but it is a lot more basic then slay the spire where you have 20 buffs active by the end, since it's free/3 dollars and has 2 whole extra entirely different campaigns its got the bobseal of approval

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I like the "chapters" in dicey dungeons that just completely change the gameplay mechanics, there are some cool surprises in there

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh I'm shivving

i had the most insane shiv relics i've ever had on this run and just totally whiffed on a large damage turn against the heart when i drew mostly status cards, i'm heartbroken

i no-damaged the entire third act except Time Eater lol. and even then i only hosed up against Time Eater because i miscalculated energy and ended a turn with the clock at 11

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 24, 2022

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I was having a good time with dicey dungeons until I unlocked the witch and found out I'm just dogshit at it. Should try again now that it's on mobile.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

I like the "chapters" in dicey dungeons that just completely change the gameplay mechanics, there are some cool surprises in there

i just really appreciate it when games know they're simple and keep it short. animations are instant and everything is really satisfying and kinetic because of the excellent sound design

cannot play roguebook anymore for this reason. everytime you play a card you need to watch a 3 second animation and it gives me an ulcer lol. no option for speedier combat. avoid

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

welcome posted:

I was having a good time with dicey dungeons until I unlocked the witch and found out I'm just dogshit at it. Should try again now that it's on mobile.

Same here. I can’t figure out the witch at all

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Got a perfect win on Time Eater with a really slow paced lightning deck. Had zero luck with focus but had some other good powers going and ended up with 7 orbs of lightning slowly wearing him down. Barrage helped too.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
StS and Downfall are so fuckin good I'm going to start playing it again because I never got anywhere with Defect and that bothers me

Also good: Griftlands is fun 90% of the time and super annoying the other 10. Trials of Fire has a little piece moving gimmick on a hex grid that's really cool once you get the hang of how to exploit it. Black Book was interesting how it was divided between regular deck builder combat and little CYOA sections that are like "I put too much salt in the teapot and that let a devil curse my chickens" and unless you're a Baltic and know the correct answer is to throw garlic over the roof you're going to get screwed out of something

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Got a perfect win on Time Eater with a really slow paced lightning deck. Had zero luck with focus but had some other good powers going and ended up with 7 orbs of lightning slowly wearing him down. Barrage helped too.

Barrage is an unsung hero, it goes from 4 damage per orb to 6 when upgraded, not many cards get a 50% boost like that.

Giving Dicey Dungeons a shot and despite the godawful art style it seems pretty fun in short bursts. I'm not sure why there are items whose upgrades literally do nothing though.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

P-Mack posted:

Barrage is an unsung hero, it goes from 4 damage per orb to 6 when upgraded, not many cards get a 50% boost like that.

Giving Dicey Dungeons a shot and despite the godawful art style it seems pretty fun in short bursts. I'm not sure why there are items whose upgrades literally do nothing though.

Sometimes an upgrade doesn’t change anything, but makes the equipment take up one slot instead of two

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

P-Mack posted:

glass knife goes from 8x2 to 12x2 and is absolutely worth taking and upgrading, especially in act 1 because 24/1 is incredibly good damage/energy for most of the game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

some plague rats posted:

StS and Downfall are so fuckin good I'm going to start playing it again because I never got anywhere with Defect and that bothers me

Also good: Griftlands is fun 90% of the time and super annoying the other 10. Trials of Fire has a little piece moving gimmick on a hex grid that's really cool once you get the hang of how to exploit it. Black Book was interesting how it was divided between regular deck builder combat and little CYOA sections that are like "I put too much salt in the teapot and that let a devil curse my chickens" and unless you're a Baltic and know the correct answer is to throw garlic over the roof you're going to get screwed out of something
I forgot I'd picked up Trials of Fire on Steam recently, might give it a shot soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

P-Mack posted:

oh one thing that's absolutely infuriating is that the x and y buttons do the same thing on PC and Switch versions, even though they're in opposite positions

How are you getting gamepad on PC to work at all? I only get kbm no matter what I do, which is 90% of why I keep putting this back down after a few runs.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 25, 2022