Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will happen to Trump?
This poll is closed.
Trump has been compromised to a permanent end 29 14.29%
Trump weakened but intact. 52 25.62%
Dems Try, but fail 31 15.27%
Dem don't bother trying 38 18.72%
Hellworld: Trump Victorious 53 26.11%
Total: 203 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A'ight I've seen dozens of posts of people predicting the level of mattering this will be, so what the heck, here's a thread so you can post your prediction and then lord over those who get it wrong or the spectators who don't even play. If nothing else, at least we'll have the official D&D hivemindTM opinion.

Pick which of these 5 broad categories closest comes to what's gonna happen to the big wet boy. Dems = the DoJ / functioning government so I don't gotta type that out a bunch of times.

A) It matters and ends Trump as a credible political threat above like the Tulsi Gabbard level. He's imprisoned / flees to Russia to do TV spots with Steven Seagal / Executed at halftime of the Superbowl / Assassinated by the Deep State.

B) It's damaging and weakens Trump, but doesn't punish, punish him beyond making it probably too difficult to be president again. A fine, suspended sentence, some stern speeches or interviews with some real tut tutting going on. Some random Trump-apendages doing the perp walk

C) Dems try but fail. An ex-president? An obscenely rich white dude? Yeah, the american justice system is incapable of dealing with this and Trump skates through or buries this for his natural life with delays and countersuits at worst.

D) Dems don't even try. As above, but it's hard, so we get some fundraising instead of fighting and it remains a tempest in a teapot until the next story steals the headlines and eventually nobody but blue checkmark twitter makes note of it. Maybe the prosecutors just intentionally bungle everything. Basically the Don't Look Up option.

E) Hellworld black comedy zone. Biden pardons Trump / Trump declared king by rampaging hordes / Hackers seize the american nuclear missile arsenal / Trump turns the Donbas into Magatopia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
D) This is "but her Emails" for the left. It feels like it matters so much you can't believe anyone can just roll their eyes every time you try an explain how bad it was, but somehow they are blind, just endlessly blind to the truth.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kalli posted:

C) Dems try but fail. An ex-president? An obscenely rich white dude? Yeah, the american justice system is incapable of dealing with this and Trump skates through or buries this for his natural life with delays and countersuits at worst.

This would be the end result of the "Nixon speed run", so I guess this is the D&D choice.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Citing "national unity" and "looking forwards, not backwards", they'll forego prosecution of Trump

conservatives will take this as proof that the investigation was a sham witch hunt all along and they'll use it as motivation to vote him back in to office, with great fervor and enthusiasm

https://twitter.com/IAPolls2022/status/1557783590431342592?s=20&t=dWMwdJ1do4r5CO5bAmsq8w

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dems try & fail definitely sounds plausible, but then again so does Dems not even bothering to try.

I flipped a coin and ended up going for the former.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Some combination of B and C. He dies before he faces any serious personal consequences, via delay/stall tactics until he times out and probably doesn't regain the presidency; some of the people in his personal orbit do end up in prison as the investigation continues. The latter group may or may not include one of his adult children, Jared included.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kalli posted:

A'ight I've seen dozens of posts of people predicting the level of mattering this will be, so what the heck, here's a thread so you can post your prediction

What does "this" refer to? Stealing secret documents specifically? Or is everything he's done fair game in this conversation, including 1/6, election interference, tax evasion, charity fraud, etc?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ColdPie posted:

What does "this" refer to? Stealing secret documents specifically? Or is everything he's done fair game in this conversation, including 1/6, election interference, tax evasion, charity fraud, etc?

Sure. It's generally focused on the maralago raid and everything in that orbit, but 1/6, tax evasion, hanging with Epstein, it's all fair game if you think it's taking Trump down.

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
He's going to be executed. I am pro-life and take no pleasure in reporting this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Trump will die alone, on a toilet, with a box of cold McNuggets in his hand. I take great pleasure in imagining this.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

None of us know how this will go. This thread is just an opportunity for people to show off how cynical they are/aren't. We're all just going to have to wait, but apparently reading about something else in the mean time is for cowards.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Abso-gently caress-lutely nothing.

If Billionaires could do serious time, we'd have offed the ruling class a long time ago, and I dunno live in star trek or something.

But we don't live in that world.

Best case, the well gets poisoned for another presidential run, and instead some OTHER fruitcake gets in and our kids dont get to live in the future or something.

I'm not bitter

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Any consequences Trump might suffer (Which, for the record, will be none) won't change the system that created him and gave him power. Even if he gets punished (he won't) the next guy in line will pick up the torch of hatred politics and keep sprinting down the lane towards fascism.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
My friends and family are all very excited about how Trump is finally getting his. I'm just there, being supportive. Smiling like hold back the pain Harold, trying to convince myself that I'm just cynical.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

F) Trump names himself President for Life in 2025 and exhumes Biden for a MAGA Cadaver Synod.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
I predict B. The only real consequence for Trump is that he will be unable to be president again.

Some of Trump's associates may be charged with white-collar crimes. I think Trump's kids/family won't be in any serious trouble, though.

Bonus prediction: DeSantis wins the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, and part of his platform is a plank to reduce the FBI's power. He won't call to eliminate the FBI, though.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

To me it's pretty clear there's a plan and a strategy to ensure Trump does not become president in '24. They're starting now. The FBI raid and whatever consequences it brings are one element. Obviously, it might backfire and perfectly play into Trump's hands so he can play the martyred victim fighting against the deep state pedos, which is what he's always done but now it's for real, but put enough pressure, legal and financial, and it might simply be impossible to manage and fund a nationwide presidential campaign in the midst of all that. Or not and it could play perfectly into his hands. But it's a gamble, and it's all they've got. It's the saturation strategy - you know he has a way of resisting it, but you can break through that resistance with enough pressure.

The other leg of this are his primary opponents, and this is actually kind of clever. Pence and Cheney are 100% running, but only as strawmen. But not necessarily strawmen for Trump to knock down - DeSantis, who is also definitely running, can do it too. DeSantis can run against these dupes instead of appearing to run against Trump. He can defend Trump against them, and promise an immediate and unconditional pardon for Trump on Day One of his administration.

Whatever happens in the '24 election it's going to be completely insane. But as far as Trump goes, a) I don't think he ends up in jail, or ever faces any real consequences and b) with each passing day I am more convinced he will not be president again.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
A) Mostly a tossup between this being my personal comedy option, and the fact that DeSantis is hellbent on becoming president.

Edit: Also what Ramrod said.

staticman fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 18, 2022

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
F) Trump becomes president for life, prosecutes and imprisons Biden for treason instead. Elon Musk instantiates Trump as an uploaded immortal machine-god. Omnissiah Trump then retroactively punishes all people who did not bring him into being a la Roko's Basilisk.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

To me it's pretty clear there's a plan and a strategy to ensure Trump does not become president in '24. They're starting now. The FBI raid and whatever consequences it brings are one element. Obviously, it might backfire and perfectly play into Trump's hands so he can play the martyred victim fighting against the deep state pedos, which is what he's always done but now it's for real, but put enough pressure, legal and financial, and it might simply be impossible to manage and fund a nationwide presidential campaign in the midst of all that. Or not and it could play perfectly into his hands. But it's a gamble, and it's all they've got. It's the saturation strategy - you know he has a way of resisting it, but you can break through that resistance with enough pressure.

The other leg of this are his primary opponents, and this is actually kind of clever. Pence and Cheney are 100% running, but only as strawmen. But not necessarily strawmen for Trump to knock down - DeSantis, who is also definitely running, can do it too. DeSantis can run against these dupes instead of appearing to run against Trump. He can defend Trump against them, and promise an immediate and unconditional pardon for Trump on Day One of his administration.

Whatever happens in the '24 election it's going to be completely insane. But as far as Trump goes, a) I don't think he ends up in jail, or ever faces any real consequences and b) with each passing day I am more convinced he will not be president again.

what are the other elements of this plan?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Did Trump for real think that he could get away with selling nuclear secrets to the Russians? He's under too much surveillance. Then again, this is the same idiot who thought he could overthrow the US government with a mob of peasants.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think the best case will be Trump is indicted and is unable to become president again.

I think the worst case is dems do nothing citing national unity and he becomes president again, and makes it for life (~10 years) this time.

It's probably going to be something inbetween these scenarios.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
He's going with the "new Q lore" option.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
You miss the caveat that the Supreme Court will go "gently caress the law, Trump can run again anyway" if he gets convicted.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Where's my option to vote for Goku

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

D. The Democrats can't just lock up Trump. Biden doesn't have a magic wand. No wand. Not how it works.

Go back to government class. This is Green Lanternism. There's no power ring. Biden doesn't have a power ring. You are gaslighting. Learn how the government works. Locking up political opponents is fascism. It's nazism. It's trumpism. You leftists want a left-wing Trump to lock up people for disagreeing with you. Horseshoe theory. Not how it works, president can't wave a magic wand.

If Trump stole classified documents then people need to vote about it. It's on you. Vote. Documents wouldn't have gotten stolen if everyone who is saying "lock him up" had voted in 2016.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Wrong tab, deepest apologies.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Nothing good, op!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Nothing good, op!

most people would consider peacefully living to the end of your days, attended by all the comforts money can buy and the unconditional adoration of millions, confident only other people will ever be punished for your many crimes pretty good tbh

guy is the American dream made manifest, it's not his fault we don't like the image in the mirror

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
On the other hand, I remember someone saying Trump would get his karma and thinking he already has. I'm sure things are nice for him now but growing up he was under the thumb of one of the bigger psychopaths in history and no doubt regularly had the poo poo made out of him for having emotions.

I guess that's a question of what has happened to Trump though and not what is going to.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
oh yeah, he's a thoroughly hollow being incapable of either satiation or any desire beyond 'more,' but as far as consequences for his actions are concerned? he's got the ironclad defense that nobody that high in government wants to let the genie of 'presidents are responsible for crimes they commit' out of the bottle

bartok
May 10, 2006

I think the GOP finds a way to convince Trump not to run in 2024 by tricking him into thinking it's his own decision.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
He's obviously still intact but I genuinely believe his best days are behind him. He wouldn't be able to win another presidential election, too much poo poo is stuck on him and Americans are much more knowledgeable of Trump the man instead of Trump the myth. I feel that the GOP knows this but they are trying hard to control and manage the Trump vote. There is near-infinite evidence that the GOP dislikes Trump on a personal level but the political engagement of the American public is unprecedented and they don't want to lose that.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

most people would consider peacefully living to the end of your days, attended by all the comforts money can buy and the unconditional adoration of millions, confident only other people will ever be punished for your many crimes pretty good tbh

guy is the American dream made manifest, it's not his fault we don't like the image in the mirror

For a normal person sure, but the dude is absolutely obsessed with what he perceives as being cheated out of his rightful title and therefore doesn't strike me as someone peacefully living out the end of his days.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody with any real responsibility will be punished, a grab bag of scapegoats and peons will be ceremonially flagellated and Trump will probably win in 24.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

VitalSigns posted:

D. The Democrats can't just lock up Trump. Biden doesn't have a magic wand. No wand. Not how it works.

Go back to government class. This is Green Lanternism. There's no power ring. Biden doesn't have a power ring. You are gaslighting. Learn how the government works. Locking up political opponents is fascism. It's nazism. It's trumpism. You leftists want a left-wing Trump to lock up people for disagreeing with you. Horseshoe theory. Not how it works, president can't wave a magic wand.

If Trump stole classified documents then people need to vote about it. It's on you. Vote. Documents wouldn't have gotten stolen if everyone who is saying "lock him up" had voted in 2016.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

On the contrary, it would be awesome if the majority of presidents and congresscritters got locked up after their term for the crimes and corruption they absolutely did commit

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Trump is indicted and prosecuted for the classified info crimes or dicking around with the election.

Trump runs in 2024 while the case is still being decided. because this poo poo takes loving forever. Trump screams bloody murder and uses the case to rally the base drive turn out and solidify support among the Republicans in Congress, while it's lawyers tie the case up with paperwork.

The media becomes totally captivated by this process. "in historic first, a man is running for president while under active prosecution!"The DOJ plays it by the book and releases no details about the case, allowing Trump to play the martyr throughout the process.

The entire thing becomes a three ring circus distracting the presidential election from the issues and turning it into yet another referendum on Trump. but since the process is so long and drawn out and nothing conclusive comes of it the people are over it by election day. democrats abandon their plans to campaign on the issues and instead turn their election strategy into pointing at Trump and making a surprised Pikachu face. turn out takes a nose dive except among hard-core Republicans, who push him just over the edge in the ec.

once he's president he's in the clear and can no longer be prosecuted. garland is forced to announce that, due to DOJ guidelines, he must immediately end the prosecution. he refuses to comment on the status of the prosecution given that it wouldn't be fair to Trump since he hasn't had his day in court.

after being sworn in Trump relishes his new invulnerable status. TOTAL and complete exoneration! but he feels more threatened than ever because of the prosecution. as he knows as soon as he leaves office he's back in the crosshairs. in a fever of paranoia and narcissistic rage goes completely ham with executive orders which are of course immediately challenged in court making their way to - you guessed it - the Supreme Court. Pandora's anus is opened and the United States is goatse'd out of existence. Roberts is functionally unable to constrain the rest of the conservative justices who are also high on their own power and go crazy making increasingly uninterpretable decisions that all favor Trump. then uh.... bad stuff happens. because he can do whatever he wants and declare martial law and stuff. The prediction gets all fuzzy but anyway it's gonna be bad. because Trump is bad

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Both the Republicans and Democrats know where the bodies are buried. They have enough kompromat on each other that no one will the rock the boat. Anyone that tries will get destroyed. What will happen is at most a limited hangout. No one wants to go nuclear while they are both making money.

Maybe I'm too optimistic but the best case scenario is that Trump and his goons win and continues their quest to hollow out the American state, a rogue state that is terrorizing and killing the planet. That he makes it even more dysfunctional, filling it up with even more clueless failsons, faildaughters and grifters, removes mask mandates forcing even more civil servants to quit until it collapses and loses more of its ability to terrorize the rest of the world.

:d2a:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

GarudaPrime posted:

D) This is "but her Emails" for the left. It feels like it matters so much you can't believe anyone can just roll their eyes every time you try an explain how bad it was, but somehow they are blind, just endlessly blind to the truth.
It is extremely easy to make the case that Clinton would have won if not for the Comey letter, which was a direct result of buttery males.

And this was on top of months and months of it being a major news story that dragged her numbers down.

Of all political stories in recent times, it was the one that mattered most. It being based on bullshit is irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleSky
Jun 28, 2022
I would love for him to see real consequences but reality is different. He will either leave this mortal coil or abscond to Russia before the courts catch up to him. In any case, he will likely be barred from running.
It's realistic that Ivanka, Jared, Eric and Don Jr. will get jail time, though.

Hopefully once the J6 committee is finished with everything, the traitors that enabled a mob will never see time in office again. Trump validated white supremacy on a grand scale and it needs to be addressed.