Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will happen to Trump?
This poll is closed.
Trump has been compromised to a permanent end 29 14.29%
Trump weakened but intact. 52 25.62%
Dems Try, but fail 31 15.27%
Dem don't bother trying 38 18.72%
Hellworld: Trump Victorious 53 26.11%
Total: 203 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Trump is going to be president in 2024, i take no pleasure in reporting this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Eventually he will die of old age. Or not.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inferior Third Season posted:

It is extremely easy to make the case that Clinton would have won if not for the Comey letter, which was a direct result of buttery males.

Than make it because I don't believe that for a second, I firmly believe nobody who was going to vote for Clinton had their mind changed by the Comey letter

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Like everything else he has dealt with during his presidency (impeachments, Mueller, election fraud, etc.), there might be some sort of investigation, but it'll either be held up in the courts for years or the investigation will exonerate him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A big flaming stink posted:

taking the low probability bet I see, what with inauguration being in January 2025

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

GreyjoyBastard posted:

taking the low probability bet I see, what with inauguration being in January 2025

Everyone in line for the presidency suddenly dies from old age until the lone reaches a republican. That man survives one additional day and declares Trump his vice president.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If the French, great people by the way, just the greatest people, you have to love 'em, they can re-make the calendar, calender? Huh, well anyway, the most beautiful dates you will ever see, just the best, the greatest, and we will be there, you know how they maligned our troops but that's okay, they're French, what are you gonna do? They like 'em soft, I like it hard, like real veterans.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

some plague rats posted:

Than make it because I don't believe that for a second, I firmly believe nobody who was going to vote for Clinton had their mind changed by the Comey letter

She lost by like 70k votes across 3 states.

Any number of things could have shifted it. Comey letter is as good as any.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
As for the OP:

Would I, an average person, be in jail right now if I had even one of the documents that Trump had? Yes.

So we've established that the rule of law doesn't apply to Trump. The rest of this is just an elaborate dance to make his lack of consequences be accepted by the public.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Not a single goddamn thing will happen to this man.

Consequences are for the little people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dems aren't gonna even try, but they are gonna pat themselves on the back for making themselves feel like they tried and they annoyed Trump a bit, and wander off to brunch.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

A big flaming stink posted:

Can we make that a toxx please. Mods?!?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think the best case will be Trump is indicted and is unable to become president again.

I think the worst case is dems do nothing citing national unity and he becomes president again, and makes it for life (~10 years) this time.

It's probably going to be something inbetween these scenarios.

why would being indicted mean he can't be president again? there isn't a rule against that. eugene debs ran from prison and still got a million votes

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Trump won't be president again, but I can't tell what the ultimate reasoning for that will be. There's so many options: dead; in jail; sacrificed politically by the GOP; privately bribed not to run; or my pet theory, that he's so comfortable not being president and having to "do work" that it's much more convenient to sit back and take money from his cultists. Just constantly "campaign" and go gather a crowd whenever he needs his ego boosted.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was promised by several leading D&D posters that Trump would be incarcerated for his alleged crimes, but seems as though he is wriggling free of yet another jam.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I was promised by several leading D&D posters that Trump would be incarcerated for his alleged crimes, but seems as though he is wriggling free of yet another jam.

Literally all the most prolific USCE posters think he's getting away with it, him being in jail is a fringe idea in this forum. Though I admit all the ones who do are posting in the Jan 6 thread.

Do you have some metric for 'leading D&D posters' or is this a "I post good but the ~mainstream posters~ don't like it!" thing?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

name them or don't do this vague handwavey "some posters said" stuff

if specific posters itt said that, cool, call them out on it

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It's probably harder for president crimes to get away with crimes when he isn't in charge of the justice department; he almost got got by the Mueller investigation when he could stack the whole deck in his favor.

Who knows whether he ends up in prison but there's an obvious difference between this and all of the previous jams Trump got out of.

(but he won't be elected president again)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

James Garfield posted:

It's probably harder for president crimes to get away with crimes when he isn't in charge of the justice department; he almost got got by the Mueller investigation when he could stack the whole deck in his favor.

Who knows whether he ends up in prison but there's an obvious difference between this and all of the previous jams Trump got out of.

(but he won't be elected president again)

Almost got got?

All he did was hire a guy famous for doing a coverup, had him write a memo, and he was done. He was Vin Diesel in F&F1 and compared to Mueller's Paul Walker

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Jaxyon posted:

Almost got got?

All he did was hire a guy famous for doing a coverup, had him write a memo, and he was done. He was Vin Diesel in F&F1 and compared to Mueller's Paul Walker

Yes, having Barr write a memo lying about the content of the report and then not getting charged because of the policy not to charge sitting presidents is "stack[ing] the deck in his favor".

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

James Garfield posted:

Yes, having Barr write a memo lying about the content of the report and then not getting charged because of the policy not to charge sitting presidents is "stack[ing] the deck in his favor".

You almost got Trump? You never had trump. You never had the investigation. Decorum-chasing and not indicting the president like you should. Your lucky that idiot didn't blanket pardon his entire administration!

You almost got him?

*scoffs*

Ask any fascist. Any real fascist. It doesn't matter if you get out of it by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

some plague rats posted:

At this point I am surprised someone makes declarations what and what not motivates Americans to vote. Anything goes.

I predict Trump won't see a day in jail though he might be convicted of a misdemeanor of some sort.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
He'll quietly catch six or seven Covid infections between now and the next election, die of a heart attack or stroke, the craziest Q cultists will insist he's gone undercover to fight the Deep State, and the Republican nominees will promise to "Win one for the Trumper!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i have no loving idea outside it will probably be in big court battles until he dies.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have no loving idea outside it will probably be in big court battles until he dies.

I mean, yeah? That's half the cheat code that rich people have. Enough money to throw at the courts to just make consequences never happen.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

I mean, yeah? That's half the cheat code that rich people have. Enough money to throw at the courts to just make consequences never happen.

Yeah but you need good lawyers for that and Trump’s lawyers are… not the greatest.

My prediction: as the walls close in he declares they’ll never take him alive, botches his suicide attempt and ends up a vegetable who is rolled out periodically by his various children for a price to whatever blood gargling psychopath ponies up the dough to be Weekend At Bernie’s’d into an endorsement. Sure he’s convicted but who the hell wants to imprison a corpse? Biden pardons him.

He lives well into his 90’s as Melania lovingly cultivates her sideshow attraction, then plants him in his golf course right before she sells it to be developed into condos. As he would have wanted. His corpse is stolen and bits of it periodically appear on eBay to be auctioned off to true believers like saints relics of old.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Oracle posted:

Yeah but you need good lawyers for that and Trump’s lawyers are… not the greatest.

Is he in jail yet?

Would a regular person, even with excellent lawyers, be walking free right now with even 1 of the documents he had?

He doesn't need good lawyers. He's mostly untouchable.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Before the filings tonight I thought nothing was ultimately going to come of this. Reading the filing it is pretty obvious that the DOJ is going to charge him and has an airtight case. Which really when you think about it the FBI and DOJ wouldn’t have gone ahead with the raid if they didn’t have absolute proof of a crime and were looking to press charges. You don’t take that shot unless you know you are going to make it. My guess is they aren’t going to do it until after the midterms as they don’t want it to look political. The GOP desperately needs him from declaring he is running again until after the midterms. I can see him announcing shortly before November as a last ditch to try and starve off charges.

I think at some point they are going to take him into custody. I don’t think he will go willingly since he will want the spectacle and the image of him being led out in handcuffs. I could completely see him try and run for office again while in custody, which would be his true believers effectively whipping the rubes into a frenzy over dear leader in jail but he won’t win the nomination.

Ultimately he will be convicted and sentenced. The big issue is going to be how to incarcerate him as he is a major security risk in multiple different ways. Even Supermax wouldn’t be sufficient. My guess would be they would construct a custom facility in a remote, undisclosed area and have it staffed by heavily vetted individuals. Which even in prison he would be getting special treatment which would be sadly fitting. I don’t see him living long enough to be released.

Stupid bastard could have just lived his days being a D-list celebrity and likely would have never dealt with real consequences his entire life if he never got into politics. I will still be wary of believing he will ever see consequences until I see it with my own two eyes but the chances of it happening are very high.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Djarum posted:

Ultimately he will be convicted and sentenced. The big issue is going to be how to incarcerate him as he is a major security risk in multiple different ways. Even Supermax wouldn’t be sufficient. My guess would be they would construct a custom facility in a remote, undisclosed area and have it staffed by heavily vetted individuals. Which even in prison he would be getting special treatment which would be sadly fitting. I don’t see him living long enough to be released.

Oh yeah for sure dude. They're going to put the former President in the plastic prison from x men 2. Can't wait

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

some plague rats posted:

Oh yeah for sure dude. They're going to put the former President in the plastic prison from x men 2. Can't wait

Nothing quite like that but you run into the issue of he is a national security risk as well as a security risk to both the facility and those working there. You have to heavily vet everyone that works at the facility and comes into contact with him at all.

It’s basically a nightmare on a bunch of levels. Not even considering the issues like who is in charge of his security and imprisonment. Secret Service? Military? Bureau of Prisons? FBI/NSA?

Probably the closest analogue in history is Napoleon. Which what would be the Saint Helena option for the US?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Djarum posted:

Nothing quite like that but you run into the issue of he is a national security risk as well as a security risk to both the facility and those working there. You have to heavily vet everyone that works at the facility and comes into contact with him at all.

It’s basically a nightmare on a bunch of levels. Not even considering the issues like who is in charge of his security and imprisonment. Secret Service? Military? Bureau of Prisons? FBI/NSA?

Probably the closest analogue in history is Napoleon. Which what would be the Saint Helena option for the US?

Well, it would have to be somewhere inaccessible, obviously, so anywhere on land is out because the more rural you go the more trump supporters you find. Air is impractical, so sea. Island prisons have been tried- Alcatraz is still about, but not exactly functional- but they're a hassle. Why not an oil platform? You could use the existing infrastructure to hold prisoners underwater! Out of sight, out of mind! Obviously it's a waste to do all this for one person, so you've got to hold others there, his whole corrupt gang... That necessitates some interesting security details. The whole place is made of metal anyway, maybe some kind of magnetic system using their outfits...?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seriously, he's going to at best continue living his exact lifestyle but with even more men in suits following him around making him look important.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
No charges, red wave in '22, reelected handily in '24.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

fart simpson posted:

why would being indicted mean he can't be president again? there isn't a rule against that. eugene debs ran from prison and still got a million votes

Federal statute 18 U.S. Code 2071.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Djarum posted:

The US has a permanent presence on Antarctica, right? Would sticking him in his own shed violate the rules of using Antarctic land?

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Rappaport posted:

The US has a permanent presence on Antarctica, right? Would sticking him in his own shed violate the rules of using Antarctic land?

https://www.ats.aq/e/protocol.html

Specifically the Annex on Waste Disposal, III.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The US still has some of those guano islands, right?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Djarum posted:

Before the filings tonight I thought nothing was ultimately going to come of this. Reading the filing it is pretty obvious that the DOJ is going to charge him and has an airtight case. Which really when you think about it the FBI and DOJ wouldn’t have gone ahead with the raid if they didn’t have absolute proof of a crime and were looking to press charges. You don’t take that shot unless you know you are going to make it. My guess is they aren’t going to do it until after the midterms as they don’t want it to look political. The GOP desperately needs him from declaring he is running again until after the midterms. I can see him announcing shortly before November as a last ditch to try and starve off charges.

I think at some point they are going to take him into custody. I don’t think he will go willingly since he will want the spectacle and the image of him being led out in handcuffs. I could completely see him try and run for office again while in custody, which would be his true believers effectively whipping the rubes into a frenzy over dear leader in jail but he won’t win the nomination.

Stupid bastard could have just lived his days being a D-list celebrity and likely would have never dealt with real consequences his entire life if he never got into politics. I will still be wary of believing he will ever see consequences until I see it with my own two eyes but the chances of it happening are very high.

I guess my question is when does that hammer drop. I sorta suspect soonish for various reasons. Trump seems way way more broke brained of late and Biden is going hard hard in maga chuds and is having prime time speech about it tomorrow. I think something biggish is coming down the pipeline.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
My guess is C.

Trumps number one skill is abusing appeals and court filings to indefinitely stay any actual consequences. His packing of the court with people deferential to him will help this a whole lot; ridiculous arguments that other judges would laugh at, get approved by his chudges.

He'll die fighting these charges in court and will never see the inside of a jail cell. If he loves to 2024, he's going to run and the Republicans will cheat him to a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

some plague rats posted:

Well, it would have to be somewhere inaccessible, obviously, so anywhere on land is out because the more rural you go the more trump supporters you find. Air is impractical, so sea. Island prisons have been tried- Alcatraz is still about, but not exactly functional- but they're a hassle. Why not an oil platform? You could use the existing infrastructure to hold prisoners underwater! Out of sight, out of mind! Obviously it's a waste to do all this for one person, so you've got to hold others there, his whole corrupt gang... That necessitates some interesting security details. The whole place is made of metal anyway, maybe some kind of magnetic system using their outfits...?

I can't wait for the part where Biden and Trump swap faces.