Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will happen to Trump?
This poll is closed.
Trump has been compromised to a permanent end 29 14.29%
Trump weakened but intact. 52 25.62%
Dems Try, but fail 31 15.27%
Dem don't bother trying 38 18.72%
Hellworld: Trump Victorious 53 26.11%
Total: 203 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I guess my question is when does that hammer drop. I sorta suspect soonish for various reasons. Trump seems way way more broke brained of late and Biden is going hard hard in maga chuds and is having prime time speech about it tomorrow. I think something biggish is coming down the pipeline.

I was thinking about that myself and I am thinking November 5th. The FBI and DOJ are going out of their way to make sure they are not trying to influence any elections, which won't stop the GOP from claiming they are anyway. Trump is going to announce he is running again before the end of October because he can't help himself and also he think that if he is running it will shield him from is legal issues. The GOP is going to have the double whammy of Trump returning to sour their midterms even more along with them having to decide on if they continue to support/defend him knowing that it will hurt them in the elections either way and worse beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Djarum posted:

The GOP is going to have the double whammy of Trump returning to sour their midterms even more along with them having to decide on if they continue to support/defend him knowing that it will hurt them in the elections either way and worse beyond.

Don't forget: if he runs, he's going to get the lion's share of the donations from voters, and severely damage the GOP's fundraising efforts.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Djarum posted:

I was thinking about that myself and I am thinking November 5th.

That date would drive conspiracy theorists nuts.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Djarum posted:

Probably the closest analogue in history is Napoleon. Which what would be the Saint Helena option for the US?
Guantanamo.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Federal statute 18 U.S. Code 2071.

Pretty sure with our current SC this would be ruled unconstitutional for Presidential nominees.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Federal statute 18 U.S. Code 2071.

Counterpoint:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hillary-clinton-disqualified/

quote:

In short, Tillman (and Volokh) held that the qualifications stipulated in the Constitution regarding eligibility for the office of President (i.e., having reached the age of 35 and having lived in the United States for 14 years) cannot be modified by Congress through the passage of laws, only by amending the Constitution itself.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jethro posted:

I can't wait for the part where Biden and Trump swap faces.

We won't know which one we're re-electing!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Jethro posted:

I can't wait for the part where Biden and Trump swap faces.

I'm excited for Trump's shoot-out with gold-plated .45s, personally.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

some plague rats posted:

Well, it would have to be somewhere inaccessible, obviously, so anywhere on land is out because the more rural you go the more trump supporters you find. Air is impractical, so sea.

Time to dig out that old never-landing Nuclear-powered bomber jet idea from the Cold War!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Even if Trump somehow got to sentencing, I bet he'd just end up with some bullshit like house arrest by saying his secret service detail ensures he's not a flight risk and that he (obviously) can't be exposed to genpop or anything without further endangering national secrets.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm going for the trifecta that Trump gets indicted, gets declared mentally unfit for trial, and still campaigns for 2024. I'm not certain if he still wins a Republican primary after being found unfit though.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Simplex posted:

I'm going for the trifecta that Trump gets indicted, gets declared mentally unfit for trial, and still campaigns for 2024. I'm not certain if he still wins a Republican primary after being found unfit though.

He’d never accept any such diagnosis, he is perfectly mentally physically and psychologically sound. The best most very stable genius.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Simplex posted:

Are you kidding? This is the same party that went all-in on a confessed, convicted kiddy-diddler as a serious candidate. He'll just spin it as a big-brain fakeout to get out of trouble, and his base will lap it up.

And before you say, "Well, the Republican party apparatus will surely act to primary him" - I'm sure they'll try, but they already tried that in 2016 and it didn't work then, largely because in the primaries with him in them their choices are 'try to out-bombast him', and 'try to present as an actual adult' - and neither of them are viable paths to victory for the vast majority of possible primary candidates.

Now, I don't particularly like his chances in the 2024 general, simply because he doesn't have the same mystery box appeal he did in 2016 - at least two moderates I know genuinely thought he'd be a moderate as president, albeit a somewhat more bombastic one than usual, simply because he didn't have the same record of open baby-eating ghoulishness as a career Republican. He doesn't have that 'unknown' factor any more: everyone knows he'll just be another Republican president, with an extra public helping of petty cruelty.

Caros
May 14, 2008

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Are you kidding? This is the same party that went all-in on a confessed, convicted kiddy-diddler as a serious candidate. He'll just spin it as a big-brain fakeout to get out of trouble, and his base will lap it up.

And before you say, "Well, the Republican party apparatus will surely act to primary him" - I'm sure they'll try, but they already tried that in 2016 and it didn't work then, largely because in the primaries with him in them their choices are 'try to out-bombast him', and 'try to present as an actual adult' - and neither of them are viable paths to victory for the vast majority of possible primary candidates.

Now, I don't particularly like his chances in the 2024 general, simply because he doesn't have the same mystery box appeal he did in 2016 - at least two moderates I know genuinely thought he'd be a moderate as president, albeit a somewhat more bombastic one than usual, simply because he didn't have the same record of open baby-eating ghoulishness as a career Republican. He doesn't have that 'unknown' factor any more: everyone knows he'll just be another Republican president, with an extra public helping of petty cruelty.

My brain is mush. Which one was this again? Roy moore obviously did it but wasn't convicted and didn't confess. Jim Jordan wasn't convicted. Hastert didn't get got until after...

I believe you, just can't think of it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I stand corrected.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nothing.

He was already rich(ish) and powerful, then he was president. He's untouchable. Whether or not he actually runs in '24 and wins is an open question, but I wouldn't bet on any meaningful accountability ever coming his way.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Lol, chudge granted request for a special master with even more insane reasoning than normal for our hellworld. It gets appealed to the stacked 11th circuit which will sign off on the runniest, most sun-baked diarrhea bullshit as good to go but only after they feel like getting around to it then it goes to SCOTUS to make their decision whenever they feel like getting around to it.

So there's your answer, thread: nothing. Nothing is going to happen. He stole the highest possible classification of material, everyone know it even the people that support him, the law is absolutely crystal clear with no possible room for interpretation and it will be years before nothing ends up happening.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

bird food bathtub posted:

So there's your answer, thread: nothing. Nothing is going to happen. He stole the highest possible classification of material, everyone know it even the people that support him, the law is absolutely crystal clear with no possible room for interpretation and it will be years before nothing ends up happening.

C'mon, no need to be so despondent. I'd wager he probably gets a popularity bump in the run up to the '24 election from this, so you can't really say that there isn't a relatively immediate effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Trump will get prosecuted but it's not going to hold, like many other cases against him and his businesses.
Unless he happens to go bankrupt, but I doubt that will happen.

Harris and Biden are not going to win the 2024 election, because they are not popular candidates.
Newsom is also not a popular candidate.

If the democrats can't get a popular/charismatic person they are not going to win 2024.

GOP will be one of the following three for 2024: Trump, DeSantis, or Cruze

**Edit
The reason I don't think the democrats will win 2024 is I know of a few people who voted for Trump the 1st time. Didn't the second time. Are now expressing "how much better" things were under Trump. Even after all the heinous and nastiness, especially from his last 2 years of office.

Also a lot of the older democratic voters (greatest generation and silent generation) are dying off.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 7, 2022