Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Hey, everyone! Pete and Amy here, back with more guns, cars, and unfortunate old-timey racism in Mafia II: Definitive Edition! We enjoyed our playthrough of the first Mafia so much that we wanted to revisit the series, and if the first couple of episodes are any indication, it's going to be just as hilarious as the first go around. We haven't played this game ourselves yet, so if you wouldn't mind keeping story spoilers to a minimum, we'd appreciate it.

We're aiming to upload episodes to our YouTube page every Tuesday and Thursday. In addition to YouTube uploads, we'll also once again be streaming our playthrough on Twitch before the recorded episodes are made live. Our aim is to stream on Monday evenings, ~7:30 p.m. Central U.S. Time. As always, our Twitch channel can be found right here. We'd love to see you! The YouTube episodes will become available the week after we stream them live.

EPISODES

Part 1: Empire Bay Butt
Part 2: Factory-Made Speed Holes
Part 3: Assassin's Creed: Prohibition
Part 4: That's Kind of My OHH!
Part 5: Punch School
Part 6: Good Buddy Car
Part 7: Sewer Rules
Part 8: Life at Bernie's
Part 9: Harassing the Local Populace
Part 10: I'll Race You... To Death!
Part 11: ASMR Gurgling
Part 12 (Finale!): Boobies, I'm Sure

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 1 is up now! We're going to blow all of our money on custom license plates, aren't we?

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 16, 2022

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I've only played (and not finished) the third mafia, and only experienced the first through your LP. This will be interesting.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

White Coke posted:

I've only played (and not finished) the third mafia, and only experienced the first through your LP. This will be interesting.

How is Mafia 3? That's one that I want to get to eventually, also.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

pedrovay2003 posted:

It’s been so long since I played. It was fun enough from what I remember. I just lost interest along the way. I’ve heard that some Mafia 2 story stuff gets wrapped up in 3, but I have no idea what it is since I never played 2. Or even how important it is to Mafia 2’s story. It might have just been some side character popping up for a mission or two.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Mafia 3 was fun for me. A good revenge fantasy for any racism victims out there. Never played 1 or 2.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

pedrovay2003 posted:

I saw the Angry Joe Show review for it. He didn't like it because it was repetitive.

I'm glad someone's doing LPs of the Mafia games. I've never played them, so I'm looking forward to this. I'm going to go back and check out your Mafia 1 LP too in between your posts here.

These aren't, like, "GTA in history", are they? I've heard that the Mafia games are a bit more mission-based rather than open-world sandbox.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

painedforever posted:

I saw the Angry Joe Show review for it. He didn't like it because it was repetitive.

I'm glad someone's doing LPs of the Mafia games. I've never played them, so I'm looking forward to this. I'm going to go back and check out your Mafia 1 LP too in between your posts here.

These aren't, like, "GTA in history", are they? I've heard that the Mafia games are a bit more mission-based rather than open-world sandbox.

Yeah, they present themselves as open worlds, but from what I can tell, they're much more story-based and mission-focused experiences than the GTA games. From what I can tell, in both this game and in the first one, the open world is just a means to an end, they're not really sandboxes like other open-world games.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Did you mean to make this thread a shitpost? A mod might change that if you like.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

Did you mean to make this thread a shitpost? A mod might change that if you like.

Ugh, no, that was an accident. Gah. I'll try to contact someone. I think I did that last time, too, thanks for letting me know.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up now! Let's take the Butt out for a joyride!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Is it weird how into it the guy is? It's like, "Yeah, crime, woohoo! Gimme that gun, yeah!"

I always thought the protagonist would be reluctantly led into a life of crime, like, if someone were to hand them a gun they'd be like, "No, Jesus, put that away man," or "drat it, I'm only doing this for my family, I don't want this to become my life."

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, this guy is really on board with immediately doing crimes, no reservations at all. His family has already been harassed by other crimes people, but who cares, crimes are his calling!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I've started watching the LP of the first game. Now see, this is what I expected! Guy inadvertently helps one mob family, and has to join up to save his life. And they make you do absolutely terrible cab-driver missions to "drive home" how awful that is.

I guess they wanted to change things up in the next game?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 3 is up now! Bonus challenge for this episode: After about the 6-minute mark, there's a weird, goat-sounding noise that happens, and that was a part of our microphone input, not the game audio. If anyone has any idea at all of what that could have been, let us know, because right now, my working theory is that we're being haunted by goat ghosts.

painedforever posted:

I've started watching the LP of the first game. Now see, this is what I expected! Guy inadvertently helps one mob family, and has to join up to save his life. And they make you do absolutely terrible cab-driver missions to "drive home" how awful that is.

I guess they wanted to change things up in the next game?

Yeah, this game's lesson is that the life is great, and boy oh boy, murdering is fun!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Well, there seem to be a lot more quality-of-life improvements in Mafia 2. There's a minimap, and a GPS, and controls which aren't absolutely terrible...

In the first Mafia, you did get pulled over for running red lights, if you did it in front of the cops.

The shouts of "Oh my God, are you serious!" have remained unchanged however.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 4 is up now! In case anyone was wondering, even being near fire tends to feel uncomfortable.

painedforever posted:

Well, there seem to be a lot more quality-of-life improvements in Mafia 2. There's a minimap, and a GPS, and controls which aren't absolutely terrible...

In the first Mafia, you did get pulled over for running red lights, if you did it in front of the cops.

The shouts of "Oh my God, are you serious!" have remained unchanged however.

Yeah, they did improve a lot gameplay-wise in the second game. I'll be honest, I'd be interested in eventually playing the original version of Maya 2 on my own time to see how it stacks up to the Definitive Edition.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Essentially my only memories of Mafia 2 were that it was generally enjoyable and that it had the most satisfying shotgun out of a game from 2010. Make sure you give it a spin when you can!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

CapitanGarlic posted:

Essentially my only memories of Mafia 2 were that it was generally enjoyable and that it had the most satisfying shotgun out of a game from 2010. Make sure you give it a spin when you can!

Yeah, we do eventually get a shotgun, and it's super strong. Regular enemies have one-shot us with one, too.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Well, so long as it's fair. Though I prefer games in which I have all of the advantages.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 5 is up now, and to prison we go!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Oh man, totally "parental advisory" time.

So, Mafia is going to be free to pick up starting on the 1st, I think? And they're now going to make Mafia IV? Weird that.

There was an article on something that Mafia: Definitive Edition is a remake, and they did an HD remaster of Mafia II. So, even though they tried and fixed issues in the first game, all of the language, and cursing, and all of that was in the second game. When it was released. In 2010.

I mean, wow.

At least they made prison tedious enough that you really don't want to go back to it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 6 is up now! A wild shootout at the docks? Why, this is a job for a high school sport player!

painedforever posted:

Oh man, totally "parental advisory" time.

So, Mafia is going to be free to pick up starting on the 1st, I think? And they're now going to make Mafia IV? Weird that.

There was an article on something that Mafia: Definitive Edition is a remake, and they did an HD remaster of Mafia II. So, even though they tried and fixed issues in the first game, all of the language, and cursing, and all of that was in the second game. When it was released. In 2010.

I mean, wow.

At least they made prison tedious enough that you really don't want to go back to it.

Yeah, Mafia 2 can be kind of intense with the content sometimes, especially for a game that's 12 years old now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I remember being excited that they were making another Mafia game many years after the first one, but I was ultimately disappointed in this game. I personally never connected to Vito like I did with Tommy. There's a very strong character arc for Tommy, but I never feel like Vito is well written at all. You can kind of see the parts of what they should have done as an arc with Vito (he had to go to war, he has lived with violence almost his entire life, and he has a chip on his shoulder because his dad became a deadbeat drunk who couldn't take care of his family), but it never really comes together as a major part of the game. It doesn't help that this game had issues late in production that led to a bunch of content that was meant to be included in the base game getting sold off as DLC, because, well, that's the 2K way I guess.

Mafia 3 is an improvement, but the bulk of the game is taking over Not-New Orleans, and it can get repetitive. The main story missions are fine, and the overall plot is good, but it did not need to be that long. I'm going to be interested to see what they do for the 4th game. The 2020 remake of Mafia was good from a gameplay standpoint, but I didn't feel like the new voice cast was even in the same ballpark of quality as the originals, and there is a major difference in how some of the characters sound that constantly threw me off. Other than that I did enjoy it.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

The 2020 remake of Mafia was good from a gameplay standpoint, but I didn't feel like the new voice cast was even in the same ballpark of quality as the originals, and there is a major difference in how some of the characters sound that constantly threw me off. Other than that I did enjoy it.

There was a different voice cast?! Geez, I stopped watching Pete&Amy's Mafia: Definitive Version LP because the voice acting was so bad. I was sitting here thinking, "Wow, the protagonist is a lot worse, but at least the voice acting has improved since the first game."

Am I going to have to play the first, original game? I mean, it is free and all, and I have added it to my library... nah, not worth it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They didn't add much new stuff in the remake so you don't really need to play the original. It's almost identical other than a few small parts.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 7 is up now! I'll be honest, I never expected to be trudging around to sewer in a Mafia game.

Also, I agree, I haven't really been able to connect with these characters as well as I did with the ones in the first game. The first game was janky as hell compared to this one (if you can even imagine that), But the story in the characters were actually pretty well thought out, from what I remember. This one has been fine, and the characters have been okay, but there's not nearly as much depth as the first game. I didn't realize there was more story content as DLC after we finish the main game, though, so maybe it'll get better there?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 8 is up now! This episode contains what I genuinely feel is one of the saddest deaths I've ever seen in a video game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Without looking I’m pretty sure I know what you’re talking about

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
In which Pete learns that vehicle manufacturers can make more than one of the same car

I kid, I kid. A lot happens all at once there though!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

"Hello, the police? It is me, the Mafia!... sorry, I mean, I'm in the Army!"

... what the actual hell just happened in this episode? What, like, nobody checks if the guy who's supposed to be whacked is actually whacked? Does everybody operate on the honour system? And were Joe and Marty a couple? Does this game promote Mafia and Mafia love? (not that there's anything wrong with that, I ain't sayin' nuthin' fahgetaboutit)

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 9 is up now! They didn't test this game before they released it, did they?

painedforever posted:

"Hello, the police? It is me, the Mafia!... sorry, I mean, I'm in the Army!"

... what the actual hell just happened in this episode? What, like, nobody checks if the guy who's supposed to be whacked is actually whacked? Does everybody operate on the honour system? And were Joe and Marty a couple? Does this game promote Mafia and Mafia love? (not that there's anything wrong with that, I ain't sayin' nuthin' fahgetaboutit)

There's no system more honorable than Mafia Believable Whacks!™

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think they didn't thoroughly test the DLC costumes. The hat gave Vito trouble in an earlier cutscene too. You remember, where it disappeared, but gave Vito a weird forehead, like he was still wearing it.

Y'know, I like Henry, and I'm not sure why. D'you think that's the point?

Like, you meet up with some standup guys, and you start out small and do a few crimes to make ends meet, and then it keeps escalating, and every step gets you deeper and deeper into it?

I think that'd work in a game that didn't have as high a body count as Mafia II. Because considering how many people Vito has killed, everything else just seems to be minor league.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 10 is up now! And yeah, I wasn't expecting the cameo in this episode, but I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff, so I loved it.

painedforever posted:

I think they didn't thoroughly test the DLC costumes. The hat gave Vito trouble in an earlier cutscene too. You remember, where it disappeared, but gave Vito a weird forehead, like he was still wearing it.

Y'know, I like Henry, and I'm not sure why. D'you think that's the point?

Like, you meet up with some standup guys, and you start out small and do a few crimes to make ends meet, and then it keeps escalating, and every step gets you deeper and deeper into it?

I think that'd work in a game that didn't have as high a body count as Mafia II. Because considering how many people Vito has killed, everything else just seems to be minor league.

I can see liking Henry. I think he was probably the easiest character to like in this game from a moral standpoint, maybe? Or maybe I'm just reaching there, I don't know. At least he was presumably used for good in the end.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aw man, I somehow missed this thread! Trying to catch up now.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

Aw man, I somehow missed this thread! Trying to catch up now.

I hope you enjoy!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Oh no, they killed Henry!

The bastards!

But man, killin' off Tommy. That's weird. They got the clothes wrong, but they made sure that you got the same car, and the same camera angles as you pulled up.

Joe, by the way, is a really terrible person. I mean, he's funny in a "stereotypical tough-guy wise-guy gangster", but he is such a terrible influence. And somehow, Vito is somehow even worse!

Henry's dead? Boo-hoo, where the money? Why'd you kill the Tong guy Joe, we could've gotten more out of him by torturing him? Rough up some union people, sure sign me up!

I remember reading somewhere that the first Saint's Row was skeezy because of how it glorified gangs and violence, but it didn't take itself seriously because everyone was a caricture. But these guys are just so awful.

The story for the first Mafia wasn't bad, especially how it ends, but the gameplay (going by your LP) was pretty rough. The gameplay here looks really good, but man, oh man, the protagonist!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I understand that some people might be put off by the story and characters... but I would certainly hope someone would find a game about being in the Mafia morally offputting!

I mean, Saint's Row and GTA- they aren't really series that were interested in presenting any moral framework, and were just about advancing itself through violence and having fun; sandcastle games are just as much about kicking the sand castle down as it is building it up again. But the makers of this series specifically based the games in it on Mafia movies they liked- the Godfather trilogy, Goodfellas, etc., and those characers weren't good either- understandable, maybe, but not good- and nor did they come to good ends. And I always admired how closely the makers of these games hewed to that same crime drama spirit- as goofy as things get (and things get pretty goofy, especially in the third game, as I recall) it never gets so goofy that you forget that these are, in fact, dangerous and despicable people you're playing as.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
The Mafia series really is different from Saints Row and GTA, probably by design. I'm so used to seeing all the ridiculous mod videos for GTA and remembering smacking people with dildos in Saints Row that I guess I've learned to have a preconceived notion in my head that all similar games are going to end up being silly. But yeah, holy crap, the characters in Mafia are absolutely ruthless. They try to do some comedy relief here and there, but it really doesn't stick that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ah, well - already spotted something that caught me off guard. If they are from 20's Sicily, it doesn't seem likely that the mother would refer to the main character as 'bambino' - that's the official Italian term for young male child, not the dialect of Sicily.

Italy was (and is!) notorious for separate regions having dialects so grossly different from one another it is close to speaking another language. Tuscany (where one side of my family comes from) is also notable for having a different word used for 'bambino'

It's 'bimbo'.