Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Scoss posted:

I haven't played a Magus but one of my players is a Magus (laughing shadow) and has considered switching to the Targe build to be a little tougher, so we looked at the options together a bit.

My conclusion was that the Targe Magus is okay but fundamentally still limited by the Magus being focused around getting off spell strikes and being a medium-durability character. You have a comparable durability to a Druid without further feat investment, and even with taking Toughness and picking up heavy armor proficiency you'll be slightly beind the sturdier melees. You may find that the very demanding action economy of Magus will make it a bit harder find room to do things like athletic maneuvers and other kinds of bullying that a tank might want to do.

I don't think it's bad at all, just that spellstrike is such a prominent feature that the class is going to want to lean towards a damage role no matter how you build it.

Have a look at the Monk as well if you haven't considered one, they can get pretty durable.

Yeah if you want to play a magus that doesn't get hit while still doing your job of occasionally dropping nukes you play starlit span and stand far away from the rest of the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

There's a champion in my game with a fortress shield. Every turn he raises and shield and takes cover, for a +4 to AC. But the gimmick only works if the GM is willing to play along and feed that fantasy every round because he's eating a massive 15 foot movement penalty to do it. Most enemies could literally run circles around him. Or run past him to the squishy back line. In a room with one exit he can wedge himself in the doorway as an immoveable object to protect the backline, which has worked a few times but he's got no defence against Tumble Through so again it kinda depends on the GM allowing it to work. He is very hard to kill, but relatively easy to ignore. One time we came quite close to everyone else dying to enemies he couldn't hurt but who couldn't hurt him either, and joked that he was going to have to walk very slowly back to town carrying everyone's corpses to the nearest temple.

He took the Steed ally to get back some mobility, but the gimmick still depends on enemies being dumb enough to keep trying to hit him rather than anyone else.

obv. i think fortress shield spend no offensive actions is going too far but champions in general get to use the best reaction in the game if the GM doesn't bother with the gimmick and just attacks someone else

the best defense against tumble through that we've learned in the abomination vaults is being in a 5 ft hallway or a tiny room so they either can't tumble through everybody or there's no legal destination

e: and in the other campaign i'm in the rogue has a spear and tends to stand behind my fighter, also hard to tumble through

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Last week's Ruby Phoenix was a bop. My players got their qualifying necklace for the tournament stolen by an annoying bird who got them all confused and punching themselves/each other.

And the Stolen Fate of the past weekend was incredible. In Book 2 there is a siege against Harrowheart, the demiplane the players operate out of. The first fight went very badly against a succubus who was the first monster to finally trip our Monk up enough to cause trouble. The second fight however, all the players came together in a beautiful synergy using all their items and abilities intelligently. They absolutely wrecked the Demonic Rabble and Torgal in the desert. The Monk with Radiant Hand Wraps + Iron Fists + Flame Dancer on an Off-Guard opponent restrained gave them insane damage output -- 161 on a single turn was the max they got I think.

Now of course, I have them fighting a miniboss and they are appropriately terrified. Great arcs.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

that bird is my favorite pf2 enemy I love that bird so much it’s such an rear end in a top hat

Pryce
May 21, 2011
New Humble bundle just dropped for Guns of Alkenstar:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/pathfinder-second-edition-guns-alkenstar-bundle-paizo-books

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

How is "Guns" as an Adventure Path? Because getting the whole AP is a liiiittle bit pricier than usual for such things since the last part is on the "and all the Foundry modules" tier.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

disposablewords posted:

How is "Guns" as an Adventure Path? Because getting the whole AP is a liiiittle bit pricier than usual for such things since the last part is on the "and all the Foundry modules" tier.

Outlaws of Alkenstar is extremely fun with player buy-in. If your players want to play a paladins and wizards I wouldn't bother.

It requires higher system mastery. There are a lot of enemies with resistances or immunities that can be worked around and the suggested classes are generally higher complexity.

The airship sequence might be the highlight of my 35 years of rpgs.

Edit: the foundry modules are amazing and well worth the price.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 21, 2024

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
By the way:

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sij8?The-Godsrain-Prophecies-Part-Seven

I guess it’s probably going to be Torag.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Feels kind of weird to be getting people to buy the out of date rule books

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Definitely worth noting that the $30 and $40 tiers of that Humble Bundle include the 3 Foundry modules for Outlaws of Alkenstar. These are normally $25-35 each.

I haven't looked at these particular Foundry modules (yet) but based on how great the Beginner Box official module is, they are most likely going to be top notch with everything you need to just install and run.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm hoping it is Abadar

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm hoping it is Abadar

every character in all my group's games would look at each other and be like 'wait now what ridiculous pile of poo poo do we mock all the time'

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Abadar is too useful without some kind of replacement, and they've said they aren't going to cheat and pull a Power Rangers where one Pink Ranger leaves and another joins the same day to do the same thing.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

Outlaws of Alkenstar is extremely fun with player buy-in. If your players want to play a paladins and wizards I wouldn't bother.

It requires higher system mastery. There are a lot of enemies with resistances or immunities that can be worked around and the suggested classes are generally higher complexity.

The airship sequence might be the highlight of my 35 years of rpgs.

Edit: the foundry modules are amazing and well worth the price.

The one huge complaint about it that I've seen from a GM I know is that it spends almost a whole book building up an apparently time travel-related plotline and then goes NOPE DOESN'T EXIST HAHA YOU SUCKERS WHY DID YOU BELIEVE THAT?, then swerves into a completely different plot after wasting all that narrative time and energy.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Roadie posted:

The one huge complaint about it that I've seen from a GM I know is that it spends almost a whole book building up an apparently time travel-related plotline and then goes NOPE DOESN'T EXIST HAHA YOU SUCKERS WHY DID YOU BELIEVE THAT?, then swerves into a completely different plot after wasting all that narrative time and energy.

My favorite solution to that problem is to make that segment real. Have the party groundhogs day every time they are defeated by the horrific boss in that area but don't reset its hit points. Just have the time loop localized instead of allowing for time travel. The npc they are trying to find started the loop, which is part of why he's trapped. It lets you use the hound without pulling punches, too.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I've almost finished my Alkenstar campaign now (last chapter of last book left to go) and I've absolutely loved it running. Not flawless, a few slightly awkward plans and motivations from the villains, a bit too much "sorry but your MacGuffin is in another castle", but overall I'm very very happy with it.

For the spoilermarked stuff above: Yeah, agreed, that was very silly. I changed that bit around a lot, still making use of all the monsters, NPCs, maps, and general story, but tweaking details to make it work better. I didn't mind that too much, I do that for all campaigns, I tweak a lot of things to match with player backstories and stuff.

My players have generally enjoyed it as well, to varying degrees. They all built characters that would fit in well in the setting and with the overall plot (this is important for the AP I think. Have them read the Player's Guide first - just ignore the bit about Medicine not being recommended, IMO it's drat near mandatory.)

So I'd highly recommend picking up the bundle, including the Foundry VTT modules, they've been amazing. Some of the big dungeons were particularly highlights.

I wish I had this bundle before I started this campaign, would have saved me a lot of cash. :)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
For 40 bucks I might just get those modules, rip the individual scenes out of them, and remix them. That's a LOT of premade Foundry content and the PF2E "house style" of Forgotten Adventures assets looks pretty good to me.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My primary complaint I've heard about Alkenstar (having not played it myself) is that it throws a lot of encounters at you and therefore spellcasters might feel like they are being spread too thin. So I second the 'just have everyone play the recommended classes'.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hellioning posted:

My primary complaint I've heard about Alkenstar (having not played it myself) is that it throws a lot of encounters at you and therefore spellcasters might feel like they are being spread too thin. So I second the 'just have everyone play the recommended classes'.

Having a ton of combats is just a paizo AP thing in general.

Also paizo player's guide recommendations do not tell tell you about mechanical effectiveness, it's purely about how the story fits.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 22, 2024

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Do the encounters at least make sense for the story? I've been running Gatewalkers and I feel like half the encounters are kind of filler.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Base Emitter posted:

Do the encounters at least make sense for the story? I've been running Gatewalkers and I feel like half the encounters are kind of filler.

More combat than Sky Kings Tomb, less than Abomination Vaults.

If your group prefers RP heavy campaigns and is alright with scarce combat I recommend Sky Kings Tomb.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Base Emitter posted:

half the encounters are kind of filler
Agree, it's just become a habit for me now to find combats to cut in APs. I feel like a lot of this is just due to XP still being a thing somehow, or maybe padding page count?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Agree, it's just become a habit for me now to find combats to cut in APs. I feel like a lot of this is just due to XP still being a thing somehow, or maybe padding page count?

It’s because of the XP system. They finally stopped doing this beginning with Sky King’s Tomb and basically made milestone leveling mandatory.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, abomination vaults have a ton of combat and it's kind of disappointing they didn't put more factions in the dungeon that are neutral. I ended up cutting out a bunch of combat and made more enemies more likely to talk instead of attack. I also did the fast level up system (800 exp instead of 1000 exp) so they would still level up at the right pace.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Silver2195 posted:

It’s because of the XP system. They finally stopped doing this beginning with Sky King’s Tomb and basically made milestone leveling mandatory.

Interesting. I do like XP by design because it gives people a concrete measurement as to how far they are, but if it helps for AP writing, I'm glad they swapped over.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Cyouni posted:

Interesting. I do like XP by design because it gives people a concrete measurement as to how far they are, but if it helps for AP writing, I'm glad they swapped over.

I like XP as a reward other than gold or hero points but it's either kind of reliant on the GM knowing how/when to give it out, or sticking really closely to a few specific routes the AP designers intended or otherwise you risk having the party lag behind in levels. I liked xp fine in AV, but in SKT I'm happy to use the milestone system if only because it means we can just take the whole thing at our pace or gently caress around if we feel like it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Seven Dooms for Sandpoint and Monster Core shipped for me today. The adventure path is still using pre-revision rules, including using the old versions of monsters that have been dramatically changed (I'd argue for the better) in the Monster Core.

Does anyone know when we can expect new APs to be made with the revisions in mind?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
In the next AP, Wardens of Wildwood.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

KPC_Mammon posted:

Seven Dooms for Sandpoint and Monster Core shipped for me today. The adventure path is still using pre-revision rules, including using the old versions of monsters that have been dramatically changed (I'd argue for the better) in the Monster Core.

Does anyone know when we can expect new APs to be made with the revisions in mind?

Seven Dooms is supposed to be the last OGL AP. Everything from now is going to be published under remaster rules & the ORC

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

atelier morgan posted:

every character in all my group's games would look at each other and be like 'wait now what ridiculous pile of poo poo do we mock all the time'

sorry volya would immediately answer 'any of the cowards' hth

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

atelier morgan posted:

obv. i think fortress shield spend no offensive actions is going too far but champions in general get to use the best reaction in the game if the GM doesn't bother with the gimmick and just attacks someone else

the best defense against tumble through that we've learned in the abomination vaults is being in a 5 ft hallway or a tiny room so they either can't tumble through everybody or there's no legal destination

e: and in the other campaign i'm in the rogue has a spear and tends to stand behind my fighter, also hard to tumble through

Sure easy to flank around and stab the summoner, though! :haw:

Blockhouse posted:

Feels kind of weird to be getting people to buy the out of date rule books

I absolutely noticed that, too. I guess they're trying to get a last hurrah out of the OGL-based books before they cease sales entirely (and Monster Core isn't out quite yet and will be "new" for a while) but it does feel a little weird/miserly to not be including Player Core and GM Core for this one.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SpaceDrake posted:

Sure easy to flank around and stab the summoner, though! :haw:

I absolutely noticed that, too. I guess they're trying to get a last hurrah out of the OGL-based books before they cease sales entirely (and Monster Core isn't out quite yet and will be "new" for a while) but it does feel a little weird/miserly to not be including Player Core and GM Core for this one.

It doesn’t feel weird or miserly to not be bundling Player/GM Core - They’re still new releases and I wouldn’t expect that until the holidays or early next year.

It does feel weird to still be selling the legacy books though.

Just do a bundle without the CRB!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I guess the logic is since it's specifically a bundle for Alkenstar, an OGL AP, that the remaster books would be confusing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It seems weird the bundle has the 2nd edition beginner's box pdf instead of the new remaster beginner's box pdf. If you're actually trying to pull in new players wouldn't you want them to have the new one so they don't learn a bunch of legacy terms? Though I guess if you go from the beginner's box to the alkenstar stuff it will be all legacy terms anyway.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

atelier morgan posted:

How can you not respect a church that titles their high priests Archbankers? A church that tends the sick and feeds the poor by, uh, lending them money at reasonable rates.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It seems weird the bundle has the 2nd edition beginner's box pdf instead of the new remaster beginner's box pdf. If you're actually trying to pull in new players wouldn't you want them to have the new one so they don't learn a bunch of legacy terms? Though I guess if you go from the beginner's box to the alkenstar stuff it will be all legacy terms anyway.

The beginner box PDF gets automatically updated. At least mine did.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Facebook Aunt posted:

There is only the one beginner box pdf. All purchases have been updated automatically.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I just loving wasted $60 buying Abomination Vaults for Foundry off Paizo's website, because I had already owned the content through a Humble Bundle purchase.

gently caress! :negative:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I just loving wasted $60 buying Abomination Vaults for Foundry off Paizo's website, because I had already owned the content through a Humble Bundle purchase.

gently caress! :negative:

You should email them for a refund or something. If you already own the PDFs you should have gotten a discount for the foundry modules (and if you already own the modules, well, there's no need to have a second copy unless you want to gift it to someone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chevy Slyme posted:

There is only the one beginner box pdf. All purchases have been updated automatically.

Nice!