Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man one thing that's real nice about pf2e is its incredibly easy to convert any third party dnd campaigns over to pf2e with how easy it is doing balanced encounters and monster buiilding. one pf 5E's strengths is the huge amount of third party stuff, so its nice popping into that to grab some ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah PF2e's building tools are incredible. I often blow 5e player's minds by pointing out that there are rulesets for changing any monster into one of four different cryptids and it takes under 10 minutes.

---------------

On another note, does anyone know of any good sources for fleshing out Vudra? My Stolen Fate campaign has two Vanarans and most of what I can find on Vudra itself is through nations like Nex or the colony of Jalmery. Any direction would be appreciated.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah PF2e's building tools are incredible. I often blow 5e player's minds by pointing out that there are rulesets for changing any monster into one of four different cryptids and it takes under 10 minutes.

---------------

On another note, does anyone know of any good sources for fleshing out Vudra? My Stolen Fate campaign has two Vanarans and most of what I can find on Vudra itself is through nations like Nex or the colony of Jalmery. Any direction would be appreciated.

Impossible Lands has a bit. It’s in the newest humble bundle even.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chevy Slyme posted:

Impossible Lands has a bit. It’s in the newest humble bundle even.
Yes, only on Jalmery. That's why I'm asking if there's anything else. I do appreciate the thought.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

mind the walrus posted:

Yes, only on Jalmery. That's why I'm asking if there's anything else. I do appreciate the thought.
2nd book of Agents of Edgewatch has a backmatter article on Vudra - pretty sure that is the most in one place that Paizo has written on the entire continent.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Doesn't shock me at all. I've got to put stricter elements on what ancestries my players can pick from. I've had to tell at least half a dozen people "No, you can't be a Consaru and have a convenient excuse to opt-out of socializing appropriately in the setting."

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
If I change my Witch familiar to become a specific familiar does the "old" familiar gain a new form? Like if my previous familiar was a crow and my new one is a Talking Head is the crow's consciousness magically transferred to the severed head or is the head a totally new creature and is the crow put up for cosmic adoption?

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 25, 2024

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Clerical Terrors posted:

If I change my Witch familiar to become a specific familiar does the "old" familiar gain a new form? Like if my previous familiar was a crow and my new one is a Talking Head is the crow's consciousness magically transferred to the severed head or is the head a totally new creature and is the crow put up for cosmic adoption?

IMO based on the wording in the Undying trait of which familiars, it's up to you and your GM.

"The new familiar might be a duplicate or reincarnation of your former familiar or a new entity altogether"

If that's what happens when it dies and comes back, I could see similar logic apply to "and now it has a glorious new form, thanks to $PATRON".

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Congrats on your new severed crow head.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Clerical Terrors posted:

Yeah that’s just something to figure out with how you’re thinking of your character, your patron, the GM and the setting. Do what’s coolest and most fun for you imo

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Clerical Terrors posted:

I've always, err, skinned it, as my old familiar melts or burns or just decays away, and then the new familiar solidifies out of the remnants of the old one. If you and your familiar have a good bond, it's painless and just an ascension to a more powerful form... but if you're a cruel and evil sort, you have to feed your old familiar to the new one, or kill it and use its body as the key ingredient to conjure the new one.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

GM was open to anything, including me letting the Talking Head actually have the actual memories and personality of the uh...previous owner (a Lich we had some trouble with and who ended up killing 2/4 party members) but I felt like this would cheapen both the concept of resurrection a bit in-universe, and wouldn't really make sense since there are rules pretty much telling you you can't re-raise a Lich. So instead I've decided that, after a night of disturbing rituals, my cute little crow's mind has now been transferred into the severed head of a Lich and has now developed a split personality as the residual memories of the angry undead wizard will keep re-surfacing, because the familiar now has Skilled (Arcana) and Second Opinion to help me do better on my Arcana checks.

One party member opined that this was weird and a little bit disturbing but I think it's a good idea.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 26, 2024

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Clerical Terrors posted:

One party member opined that this was weird and a little bit disturbing but I think it's a good idea.

witch.txt (affectionately)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My players set off a chain reaction of Caligni deaths tonight, it was glorious. There were 6, and they killed one, who then killed another with its death flame, which then killed another, and that one in turn killed a fourth.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

So Desna has now been confirmed safe and one of my fellow players made a pretty good point as to why Torag probably won't get killed (Not interesting enough, would take away a core racial diety from the core 20) so I'm now also thinking they might kill of Sarenrae after all, maybe have Nocticula take her place in the prismatic ray.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I don't buy the "would take away a core racial deity" argument, because he's the only "racial" deity in the core 20. The closest it gets is Calistria, who is especially worshipped by elves but isn't an "elf deity" in the same sense.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Silver2195 posted:

I don't buy the "would take away a core racial deity" argument, because he's the only "racial" deity in the core 20. The closest it gets is Calistria, who is especially worshipped by elves but isn't an "elf deity" in the same sense.

yeah the fact that dwarfman god of being a dwarf stands out for that is a reason why he's going. in terms of "things that he breaks," other gods can take over his domain of craftsmanship.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
They did also establish a pretty robust dwarf pantheon so if he does bite it it's not like there won't be dwarf gods.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Have the updates for the Player Core 2 already been published somewhere, or will we not know the finalized version until the book drops? I'm tired and google is failing me atm

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
They'll probably do previews of some changes and additions in the lead-up to the book coming out, like they did with Player Core 1, but other than that, no.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Thank you!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Any recommendations for a one shot / few shot adventure? I want to introduce some D&D players to the system and also see if we jive as a group.

The caveat: one of them has already played the Beginner's Box (and recently), so I'd rather not pick that one.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I did these two though they’re more into the “few sessions” range.

Hive of Corruption
https://www.pathfinderinfinite.com/m/product/374864

Caverns of Anguish
https://www.pathfinderinfinite.com/m/product/391927

Did them just after beginner box so worked for newish players.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

VikingofRock posted:

Any recommendations for a one shot / few shot adventure? I want to introduce some D&D players to the system and also see if we jive as a group.

The caveat: one of them has already played the Beginner's Box (and recently), so I'd rather not pick that one.

The various Free RPG day adventures - little trouble in big Absalom (kobold themed) or A Fistful of Flowers (Leshy party) are probably the best bet.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'm making a level 8 monk for a one-ish shot.

I'm building around Whirling Throw because it sounds funny. Went Clinging Shadow Initiate at 8 because it gives you a +2 to grappling + reach, so can grab and pummel dudes at a sorta distance.

For class feats I'm going:

Level 1: Natural Ambition: Ki Strike (prereq for clinging shadows)
Level 1: ???

Level 2: Stunning Fist

Level 4: Stand Still

Level 6: Whirling Throw

Level 8: Clinging Shadows Initiate

So the question is I've got an open Level 1 spot but what do I take? Considering a stance that shores up the weaknesses of Clinging Shadows (d4 damage) like Dragon Stance (d10) if I need to pump out damage. But looking for other opinions.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
IMO most fun option is Ridiculous Ancestry and just using ki strike as the class feat.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I'm making a level 8 monk for a one-ish shot.

I'm building around Whirling Throw because it sounds funny. Went Clinging Shadow Initiate at 8 because it gives you a +2 to grappling + reach, so can grab and pummel dudes at a sorta distance.

For class feats I'm going:

Level 1: Natural Ambition: Ki Strike (prereq for clinging shadows)
Level 1: ???

Level 2: Stunning Fist

Level 4: Stand Still

Level 6: Whirling Throw

Level 8: Clinging Shadows Initiate

So the question is I've got an open Level 1 spot but what do I take? Considering a stance that shores up the weaknesses of Clinging Shadows (d4 damage) like Dragon Stance (d10) if I need to pump out damage. But looking for other opinions.

Stance wise I went with stoked flame stance- D8 is decent enough, and the movement bonus is very very nice.
Stunning fist looks good on paper but man I have never had luck with it in practice. I'm also playing a wrastlemonk atm in a Blood Lords game and although I had stunning fist initially, I trained out of it to crushing grab. It's not like the 4/5/6 damage is all that huge, but I grapple enemies basically every turn, and it's free+guaranteed.
Stand still is excellent, whirling throw owns incredibly hard as well.
For level 8 I actually like mixed maneuver- You get to grapple + trip at the same time without any multiple attack penalty.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If an animal companion gets confused how many actions would they get for strikes?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Stunning Fist is really overrated. I'd suggest picking up another focus ability so you can either do more ki strikes or use your focus points for something else, depending on the situation.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

If an animal companion gets confused how many actions would they get for strikes?

The summoner has text explicitly calling out that they can simply use all of their actions to deny the eidolon access to any actions and thus “nullify” confused or controlled effects on the Eidolon.

No such text exists for other minions though, so a reasonable assumption is that if they are capable of acting without being commanded (independent familiars, higher level companions), they use that one action to lash out, and if they aren’t, then they do what any minion does when not being commanded and simply defends itself.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Good taste on the Whirling Throw by the way. For my money it's the most fun feat in the game and I appreciate Wrestler for making it more easily available to anyone who wants it. It's an especially great feat if your GM has scenarios with cliffs or lava or boats.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I really want to find a way to make wrestler and whirling throw work on a wild shape druid, but I'm struggling how to make it work alongside everything else I want to do. I think getting monk's flurry (and maybe stunning fists) is far better for a go-to option in wild shape, but I still want the option for wrestler shenanigans. Grappling, suplexing, and whirling throw all sound hilarious, and I can't help but imagine Power Rangers-esque fights, with the druid in dinosaur/monstrous/kaiju form flinging giant baddies across a cheaply-constructed fake landscape.

The action economy seems pretty abominable, though. Even if you're using wild shape (I hate the name "untamed form," it sounds so bad) on the first round, you're not even able to start grappling until round 2. And if you want to use flurry of blows, you're grappling with a MAP of -8. Bleh.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Stance wise I went with stoked flame stance- D8 is decent enough, and the movement bonus is very very nice.
Stunning fist looks good on paper but man I have never had luck with it in practice. I'm also playing a wrastlemonk atm in a Blood Lords game and although I had stunning fist initially, I trained out of it to crushing grab. It's not like the 4/5/6 damage is all that huge, but I grapple enemies basically every turn, and it's free+guaranteed.
Stand still is excellent, whirling throw owns incredibly hard as well.
For level 8 I actually like mixed maneuver- You get to grapple + trip at the same time without any multiple attack penalty.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Stunning Fist is really overrated. I'd suggest picking up another focus ability so you can either do more ki strikes or use your focus points for something else, depending on the situation.

What I don't get about Stunning Fist being bad is isn't it just free? Like you're going to be Flurrying of Blowsing a lot anyway, seems roughly a 50% chance that enemies fail the check and get Stunned 1. It does have incapacitation so I can see it being bad in Abomination Vaults (or other) where you're facing a lot of PL+2 enemies.

But just *always* getting 4 damage when you grab is nice and reliable, and I do plan on grabbing a lot.

Mixed Maneuvers seems quite good and if this wasn't just a few sessions I'd probably go for that. I've already got a character in another campaign that does the whole "Trip, Reactive Strike" combo so trying to do something different.

Thought with Clinging Shadows Stance is it gives a +2 Circumstance to Grapple which would stack with the +1 Item Bonus off Handwraps for a pretty monstrous +3 to Grapple with Reach.

edit: Also Stand Still with Clinging Shadows gives you a pretty big AOE zone.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 3, 2024

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Harold Fjord posted:

IMO most fun option is Ridiculous Ancestry and just using ki strike as the class feat.

wait what's Ridiculous Ancestry?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Taciturn Tactician posted:

wait what's Ridiculous Ancestry?

I assumed they meant just pick something silly like a leshy or a robot monk.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
As I understand it there's a monastery somewhere in the mountains above the Mana Wastes. So lore supports a lot of great monk options.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What I don't get about Stunning Fist being bad is isn't it just free? Like you're going to be Flurrying of Blowsing a lot anyway, seems roughly a 50% chance that enemies fail the check and get Stunned 1. It does have incapacitation so I can see it being bad in Abomination Vaults (or other) where you're facing a lot of PL+2 enemies.

Lower level enemies aren't going to hit you with a MAP -10 attack. Higher level enemies aren't going to be stunned. I've had a monk take it in one of my games and it has never impacted a single fight in a meaningful way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stunning fist was very useful when my group still had a monk. Taking away actions from the enemies in combat is always good and can be pretty impactful.

Like even against a bigger boss monster with an assumption that the boss will only fail if they roll a 1, having a 5% chance to take away an action (and any potential reactions) every time you hit them can be really good.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 3, 2024

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Andrast posted:

Stunning fist was very useful when my group still had a monk. Taking away actions from the enemies in combat is always good and can be pretty impactful.

I'm glad you had enemies roll nat 1s vs the ability. My player used it for multiple levels and then retrained it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm glad you had enemies roll nat 1s vs the ability. My player used it for multiple levels and then retrained it.

Do you exclusively fight against higher level monsters or something where it only triggers on nat1s?