Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Also a bunch of adventures and adventure paths that sound cool!

• Prey for Death, a 14th-level hardcover adventure where you play a team of Red Mantis Assassins doing a mission that's connected to all of this somehow
  • Curtain Call, the 11-20 adventure path that starts with an opera about your previous adventure and turns into the leadup to (and presumably experiencing the start of) the Godsrain and Torag's death
  • Triumph of the Tusk, a 3-11 adventure path dealing with the fallout of one of the major orc gods going too deep and becoming a spawn of Rogavug

You mean Gorum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MonsterEnvy posted:

You mean Gorum.

... Yes, I mean Gorum. I'll edit it real quick. Too many gods with five letter names.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Silver2195 posted:

By the way, since I missed that part of the stream, did they specify how Gorum was going to die? My specific idea from earlier in this thread was that Mahja Firehair would kill him.

Surprisingly, peacefully in his bed surrounded by his grandchildren and barbarian tribes.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

gorum had one singular approach to everything in his life. unfortunately, the hemorrhoids got the best of him in the end

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Gorum is going to get rejected by Mahja Firehair, die of a broken heart, and return as a minor undead god of incels.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
They said that Gorums death would happen on screen for characters so I assume it'll be a featured part of some of the upcoming APs, so I imagine it'll be a mystery for a while.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
So we're going to play a team of red mantis assassins assigned to kill a god?

sounds good

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I thought Achaekek was specifically against killing gods.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

How are you going to kill the god of battle?

bagrada posted:

Surprisingly, peacefully in his bed surrounded by his grandchildren and barbarian tribes.

Love an AP where the players get to kill a god though.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

So we're going to play a team of red mantis assassins assigned to kill a god?

sounds good

The store page description is about how you're going to get betrayed and framed, so "got set up to look like we're trying to kill a god" is more likely imo.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Silver2195 posted:

I thought Achaekek was specifically against killing gods.

Nah, he's specfically against mortals becoming gods or stealing the divinity of a god. As far as I know he doesn't really care about existing gods dying. I imagine he'll hate Exalted, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Nah, he's specfically against mortals becoming gods or stealing the divinity of a god. As far as I know he doesn't really care about existing gods dying. I imagine he'll hate Exalted, though.

One of his anathema is "kill a rightful ruler," and I remember reading somewhere that this was based on some kind of parallel between rulers and gods; Red Mantis Assassins shouldn't kill a king any more than Achaekek would kill another god.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 17, 2024

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Here's the blog post about the whole thing:

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6swfw?Announcing-the-War-of-Immortals

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm really excited for the Commander.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Is Triumph of the Tusk going to address the issue of the southern part of Belkzen being stolen human land, or are we supposed to have forgotten that?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Literally my last request for PF2e was the Warlord and unless they scuff this REALLY bad I'm gonna be happy.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Literally my last request for PF2e was the Warlord and unless they scuff this REALLY bad I'm gonna be happy.

I just hope the archetype is good because I really, really want to play a pilot-centric construct inventor with commander archetype.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

No joke, I once kicked a player from the (IRL) table because they refused a Warlord's basic attack command. Well that and they used to take 5 minute turns and forget the rules every single session. But not working with the Warlord was the last straw!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

This makes it seem like Gorum's death will be in Curtain Call

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"Pathfinder War of Immortalshardcover rulebook." My brain first parsed this typo as: "War of the Immortal shard cover"

Wanna see that shardcover rulebook.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Facebook Aunt posted:

"Pathfinder War of Immortalshardcover rulebook." My brain first parsed this typo as: "War of the Immortal shard cover"

Wanna see that shardcover rulebook.

glue a bunch of rainbow glass to it and call it the starstone edition

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

No joke, I once kicked a player from the (IRL) table because they refused a Warlord's basic attack command. Well that and they used to take 5 minute turns and forget the rules every single session. But not working with the Warlord was the last straw!

is this a 5e thing or something

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

sugar free jazz posted:

if 5e had warlords it wouldn't be 5e

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

sugar free jazz posted:

Close- 4e.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

more heathens who stray from the light of 3.5, I care not for their wants

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

sugar free jazz posted:

more heathens who stray from the light of 3.5, I care not for their wants

Pathfinder 2e is already closer to 4e than 3.X.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

KPC_Mammon posted:

Like, hugely so. It's basically 4e in almost every way that matters. The I love 3.5e -> I hate 4e -> I love PF2e crowd are some of the dumbest people alive.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Like, hugely so. It's basically 4e in almost every way that matters. The I love 3.5e -> I hate 4e -> I love PF2e crowd are some of the dumbest people alive.

In fairness, PF2E specifically fixes a lot of my specific gripes about 4e, a system which I loved in the broad strokes, and absolutely hated in the details.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I played the absolute gently caress out of 3.5 and 4e and I'm loving pf2 after a few sessions. It's just a good framework.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

except pf2 is good, so it’s definitely closer to 3.5 :smug:

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

sugar free jazz posted:

except pf2 is good, so it’s definitely closer to 4e :smug:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Martials are basically 4E, casters are 3.X except extremely detuned and save-or-lose spells were largely removed.

I still think keeping the mechanic of saving against spells is bad design. If I'm doing the action, especially on my turn, I should roll to see if it succeeds. And, to be fair, AFAIK literally everything else has the "attacker" roll against a static "defense" (think: attacks, skill actions) except magic. It almost seems like magic was walked back to 3.X (and older) style at a later stage of development, because of stupid grognards.

Edit: also, 3.X loving sucks.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 18, 2024

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I’m pretty sure there are plenty of non-spell effects where the defender rolls. You make a Fortitude save against disease rather than the GM rolling on behalf of the disease, for instance.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'd argue that mechanic is effectively cribbed from a spell effect, but point taken.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I generally prefer 4e style non-AC defenses to saves, but with PF2e's abundance of conditionals and "success counts as crit success" I can see the argument for keeping it on the defender side. It also interacts a bit with hero points, since you can use them against a failed save but not against a successful strike.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Chevy Slyme posted:

In fairness, PF2E specifically fixes a lot of my specific gripes about 4e, a system which I loved in the broad strokes, and absolutely hated in the details.

:same:

The only things from D&D 4e that I firmly prefer over PF 2e are the static defenses and not needing the handwave of focus spells for encounter(ish) abilities.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

Martials are basically 4E, casters are 3.X except extremely detuned and save-or-lose spells were largely removed.

I still think keeping the mechanic of saving against spells is bad design. If I'm doing the action, especially on my turn, I should roll to see if it succeeds. And, to be fair, AFAIK literally everything else has the "attacker" roll against a static "defense" (think: attacks, skill actions) except magic. It almost seems like magic was walked back to 3.X (and older) style at a later stage of development, because of stupid grognards.

Edit: also, 3.X loving sucks.

source ur quotes

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Dick Burglar posted:

I generally agree, if only because it makes hero point usability so inconsistent. I can spend one to hit someone with a beam, but I can't spend one to hit them with an explosion. Similarly, I can spend a point to dodge a fireball, but I can't spend one to block an attack. These are conceptually related actions ("attack" and "defense"), so the inconsistency in usability can sometimes feel bad.

A fun alternative could be to have players roll a lot more of the dice, asymmetrically. If I throw a fireball, I would roll an attack, but if I get hit by a fireball, I would roll a save. This would have enormous knock-on effects, especially for AoE spells, which would cause a balancing nightmare, but it could be fun.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

blastron posted:

I generally agree, if only because it makes hero point usability so inconsistent. I can spend one to hit someone with a beam, but I can't spend one to hit them with an explosion. Similarly, I can spend a point to dodge a fireball, but I can't spend one to block an attack. These are conceptually related actions ("attack" and "defense"), so the inconsistency in usability can sometimes feel bad.

I get your point, but they did make a point of making more of the beams you cast use saving throws instead of attack rolls in the remaster. Less because of consistency between attack rolls and saving throws and more because casters want more reliability than they get with attack rolls, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So, anyway, how about that new dragonborn dragonblood versatile heritage?