Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Chevy Slyme posted:

So, anyway, how about that new dragonborn dragonblood versatile heritage?

Which was revealed by the Amazon description for the book, and then confirmed by Paizo. (Along with tripkee just being legally distinct grippli.)

Anyway, it's hype. Dragons were one of the only really big fantasies that weren't being filled by ancestries yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Roadie posted:

:same:

The only things from D&D 4e that I firmly prefer over PF 2e are the static defenses and not needing the handwave of focus spells for encounter(ish) abilities.

I really liked healing surges, thought it was a great mechanic.

Chevy Slyme posted:

So, anyway, how about that new dragonborn dragonblood versatile heritage?

Battlezoo has an excellent PF2e Dragons Ancestry that I allow my PCs to reflavor as Dragonborn and it works fine. They have a bunch of new dragon books coming but they're getting very aggressive on extractive pricing so I can't really recommend it.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 18, 2024

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I had a player that used the battlezoo dragon ancestry during our abomination vaults campaign.

He was very happy with it and it didn't feel out of line as the gm.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
My kineticist got to level 5 and I'm eager to find out if winter's sleet is absolutely busted or just very good.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I had a player that used the battlezoo dragon ancestry during our abomination vaults campaign.

He was very happy with it and it didn't feel out of line as the gm.

I think it helps that it was created by Mark Seifter who was one of the original writers on PF2e.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

blastron posted:

I generally agree, if only because it makes hero point usability so inconsistent. I can spend one to hit someone with a beam, but I can't spend one to hit them with an explosion. Similarly, I can spend a point to dodge a fireball, but I can't spend one to block an attack. These are conceptually related actions ("attack" and "defense"), so the inconsistency in usability can sometimes feel bad.

A fun alternative could be to have players roll a lot more of the dice, asymmetrically. If I throw a fireball, I would roll an attack, but if I get hit by a fireball, I would roll a save. This would have enormous knock-on effects, especially for AoE spells, which would cause a balancing nightmare, but it could be fun.

Players always rolling would probably be my ideal tbh, but I can also see how it might make things a bit chaotic.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

My kineticist got to level 5 and I'm eager to find out if winter's sleet is absolutely busted or just very good.

Winter Sleet is busted cause the uneven terrain rules are terrible and none of the monster designers remembered it exists. I would check with your GM if he wants to handle the extra rule load since it makes running monsters really painful.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

It is busted enough that I'd be surprised if anyone runs it as written after a couple of sessions.

3 Action Economist posted:

I think it helps that it was created by Mark Seifter who was one of the original writers on PF2e.

I really want to see his new Elemental Avatar class in play but the foundry module isn't available last I checked.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
One of the most annoying parts of playing PFS is that I have no idea if the exemplar will be playable or you'll have to buy it with boons.
and if you DO have to buy it, how much it'll be - uncommon stuff you have to buy normally and rare stuff you do and it's even more, but Gunslinger and Inventor you didn't unlock so there's no like...past examples for me to look at.

Also I've played a bit of D&D recently using Beyond for the first time and I cannot believe how absolutely poo poo it is compared to Pathbuilder. Just a lot more faff and weirdness to edit your character. I guess the main reason for that is Pathbuilder isn't JUST built to make you pay.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 19, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean yeah, PF2e and 5e have different business models. Paizo essentially gives everything but adventure text and art away for free on their license.

Which is why Demiplane(made by the people who originally did Beyond) has everything available. why archives of nethys exists, and why the foundry system just has everything smoothly implemented.

It's one of the smartest things they did.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Has there been any word if Curtain Call or other upcoming APs will get the official Foundry mod treatment? My group has gotten spoiled with Abomination Vaults.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Enos Cabell posted:

Has there been any word if Curtain Call or other upcoming APs will get the official Foundry mod treatment? My group has gotten spoiled with Abomination Vaults.

All of them get them, unless something has changed fairly recently.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah as far as I know any new AP gets on foundry

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm pretty sure the foundry modules sell extremely loving well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised, I prefer running my own stuff but everything I've seen and heard about the official AP modules has looked really slick

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Enos Cabell posted:

As far as on the same level of Abomination Vaults (with music packs and special macros): the only other mod that does is Kingmaker. Other legacy content might get the same treatment (Quest for the Frozen Flame, Strength of Thousands, etc.) but the currently released modules for APs and Societies are all going to the other of the official teams.

Taear posted:

One of the most annoying parts of playing PFS is that I have no idea if the exemplar will be playable or you'll have to buy it with boons.
and if you DO have to buy it, how much it'll be - uncommon stuff you have to buy normally and rare stuff you do and it's even more, but Gunslinger and Inventor you didn't unlock so there's no like...past examples for me to look at.

Also I've played a bit of D&D recently using Beyond for the first time and I cannot believe how absolutely poo poo it is compared to Pathbuilder. Just a lot more faff and weirdness to edit your character. I guess the main reason for that is Pathbuilder isn't JUST built to make you pay.

My guess is that, since it's a rare class, it will cost about as much as it does to play as a skeleton.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oh cool, that's great news about AP support going forward in Foundry. I mistakenly thought they were doing them on a case-by-case basis.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Arrrthritis posted:

My guess is that, since it's a rare class, it will cost about as much as it does to play as a skeleton.

Oh gently caress I hope not that's the most of anything.
I thought it'd be 160

Dexo posted:

I mean yeah, PF2e and 5e have different business models. Paizo essentially gives everything but adventure text and art away for free on their license.

It's just mad that the biggest tabletop RPG in the world has such a loving awful interface

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I wonder if commander will have any ability to heal or not? Regardless I'm looking forward to the PF2E interpretations.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I really liked healing surges, thought it was a great mechanic.

I do too, though more for the "easily scalable healing" part than the "trying to pace out the adventuring day" part. The effectiveness at the latter could vary greatly, especially before the options to redistribute surges released.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 19, 2024

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Taear posted:

Oh gently caress I hope not that's the most of anything.
I thought it'd be 160

In all likelihood it is probably going to be in the 80-160 range. It probably depends on whoever is in charge of the boon pricing and how they feel about people just joining pathfinder society being able to play as an exemplar. Skeleton is just the worst-case expectation I have.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Dexo posted:

I'm pretty sure the foundry modules sell extremely loving well.

The only reason I haven't dropped 85 bucks for a foundry license and the first OoA pack is because my ttrpg group is already playing two games a week and those games are foundry Kingmaker and foundry AV :v:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well we got an answer to the question of when the next Playtest is coming out. April 29th. Guardian and Commander. A tank and someone that sounds suspiciously like a Warlord.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ryuujin posted:

Well we got an answer to the question of when the next Playtest is coming out. April 29th. Guardian and Commander. A tank and someone that sounds suspiciously like a Warlord.

FINALLY somebody willing to take a crack at the Warlord again; I was so annoyed when 5e D&D dumped them thanks to all the whiny grognards who had their feelings hurt by "shouting hands back on" or whatever nonsense they had against an interesting class. Not sure how Guardian and Champion will compare though.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm very excited for the possibility of a Pathfinder Warlord! Out of all the things dropped from 4ed to 5ed, the warlord is definitely one of my favorites.

I'm actually about to start a (sigh) 5th edition game using gestalt rules and custom classes, and my guy is a third party warlord/cleric. My GM desperately wants to switch to PF2, but half the people at the table are in his Adventure League group so he went for the heavily modified d&d instead.

Obviously I will now create my character using the playtest and poke him relentlessly until we make the switch to the superior game.

Also: I quite like what they seem to be doing with Forum's death. The god of war dies and causes metal rain and war all over the land? Badass.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

For someone who doesn't know what is what, what made the Warlord so good?

In other news I ran a homebrew Ustalav sandbox for 5 complete newcomers today, 4 of whom had never touched a TTRPG before, and the adventure went so well we've scheduled a follow-up in two weeks. The drawback is that I had to work to make the characters balanced re: feats and gear, but my party was very collaborative and open.

Also Gorum? Hardly knew 'em...... :v:

I'll see myself out.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

mind the walrus posted:

For someone who doesn't know what is what, what made the Warlord so good?

Warlord is a thematically cool martial support alternative to the Bard. In 4e, they got to move around their allies, spend their actions to let their allies attack, and heal their allies by ordering them not to die.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh yeah that's rad as hell, I'm down

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Also: I quite like what they seem to be doing with Forum's death. The god of war dies and causes metal rain and war all over the land? Badass.

I know this forum is dead but I don't think any gods were involved?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Is there a more up-to-date entry for Arazni than the Pathfinder wiki? Going by the new artwork for her, she's apparently no longer undead somehow? After (somehow) becoming freed from the thrall of her lich master by getting Blown The gently caress Up by her archnemesis that killed her back when she was mortal.

Honestly, her whole story seems very silly and overwrought, but that's probably pretty standard for long-standing characters in D&D (and D&D-alike) fiction. Recognizing that, I'm trying not to roll my eyes too hard, but bleh.

Fake edit: MAXIMUM PATHOS

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

god drat her new art is boring

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Because I had to dig it up, Arazni on the new Lost Omens book of Divine Mysteries:

Idk I'm an easy mark for toxic girlbosses so I think she looks drat good, but also if I didn't already know who that was I would think it was the most generic adventurer possible.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Also, I hope her domains are going to change because her current edicts and anathema are... kind of a joke. I know there are some gods with some really niche or just plain dumb domains, but c'mon dude. She's becoming a core 20, that poo poo ain't gonna fly.

Literally half of her anathema is just "don't say mean things about her :qq:" Kinda feel like that goes without saying for basically all gods, except maybe gods of self-humiliation or something.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 22, 2024

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

Also, I hope her domains are going to change because her current edicts and anathema are... kind of a joke. I know there are some gods with some really niche or just plain dumb domains, but c'mon dude. She's becoming a core 20, that poo poo ain't gonna fly.

Literally half of her anathema is just "don't say mean things about her :qq:" Kinda feel like that goes without saying for basically all gods, except maybe gods of self-humiliation or something.

I wonder if the intended subtext there was “do not refer to her as the Harlot Queen!”

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah but other gods have unkind epithets too. You don't see most of them dedicating half their drat anathema section to "don't call me The Bad Name, or else!" That's just kinda implied, y'know?

Edit: on second thought, I'm just drinking the Haterade tonight. Forget it.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 22, 2024

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

if they change her name to Sarah then the new character design makes sense, actually

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Warlord is a thematically cool martial support alternative to the Bard. In 4e, they got to move around their allies, spend their actions to let their allies attack, and heal their allies by ordering them not to die.

I only got to dip my toes into 4e a little bit, and I was all about Swordmages when I did, so, what was the problem with Warlords? Was it just a case of people being angry that a martial character was allowed to do things besides swing a sword?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

the_steve posted:

I only got to dip my toes into 4e a little bit, and I was all about Swordmages when I did, so, what was the problem with Warlords? Was it just a case of people being angry that a martial character was allowed to do things besides swing a sword?

Correct. And then one of these angry grognards, Mike Mearls, famous for basically saying "warlord healing is shouting limbs back on", took over development of 4e and smothered the system in its crib so he could push 5e back towards caster supremacy.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

You can have martial character move around their allies and spend their actions to let their allies attack in 5e too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well yeah 5e is like 60% of a full game and the rest is house rules you have to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Well yeah 5e is like 60% of a full game and the rest is house rules you have to make

No I mean those are Battle Master maneuvers. Commander's Strike and Maneuvering Attack.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 22, 2024