Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Lol ok, the Guardian's actual Mark is hidden in the class feat, as a one action feat at level 2:

HAMPERING SWEEPS FEAT 2
GUARDIAN
You make it difficult for enemies to move away from you once they have gotten close. Until the beginning of your next turn or until you move, whichever comes first, foes within reach of the weapon you are wielding or your unarmed attack can’t use move actions to move outside of the reach of your weapon or unarmed attack. They can still move to other squares within reach of your weapon or unarmed attack.

So yeah, this is a must take if you want to actually lock down the big boss monsters. It's also pretty busted IMO and I'm saying that as somebody who wants to see the class work.

Yeah should probably be a save against your class DC and they lose the action if they fail it, which is both more reasonable (in that it doesn't give you perfect lockdown) and not really a nerf because it's a possibility of them wasting an action rather than just not bothering to try to escape
Something like this might be better

"Enemy must save vs your class DC to use a move action to move outside your reach"
Critical Success: They move as normal
Success: They move as normal but take X damage (strength bonus? some other scaling bonus?)
Failure: They stop just before they would exit your reach
Critical Failure: They stop just before they would exit your reach and fall prone (or maybe just the damage again)

Also the Taunt should probably not give them a bonus to hit you at all, IMO, it's not like really any stronger than Intimidate and you lose all the intimidate support

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Not a bad suggestion, but we keep running into an issue: "against the class DC" stuff allows higher level monsters to just stomp right through their poo poo and ignore it. Which, ok, that seems to be the theme. Spells don't work, abilities fail, attacks miss, and now: marks don't stick. I guess this class ain't any different - which wouldn't be a problem except the other tank class, the Champion, does not have this issue at all IIRC.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
redeemers would be a whole lot worse if their reaction gave a save against their class dc, enfeebled 1 on success 2 on failure

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Not a bad suggestion, but we keep running into an issue: "against the class DC" stuff allows higher level monsters to just stomp right through their poo poo and ignore it. Which, ok, that seems to be the theme. Spells don't work, abilities fail, attacks miss, and now: marks don't stick. I guess this class ain't any different - which wouldn't be a problem except the other tank class, the Champion, does not have this issue at all IIRC.

atelier morgan posted:

redeemers would be a whole lot worse if their reaction gave a save against their class dc, enfeebled 1 on success 2 on failure

Hmm, maybe if leaving your reach automatically triggered taunt as a free action 1/round instead? Still a save but works it into the class feature more and they're still penalized unless they crit save

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 29, 2024

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I think reliability on tanking abilities is incredibly important to them feeling good to use, if someone can just make a save or ignore it, you feel like a chump. OTOH blanket negation is rough, I think you playtest this and see how bad it feels, particularly if classes archetype in to grab it and try it with the standard knockdown and AoO builds.

Possible places to go with it include it just forcing an extra action surcharge on moving away from the person with Hampering Strikes.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
in a dirge of doom world i don't think there's any problem with taunt being targeted -2 to hit everybody but the guardian without involving any kind of save at all or any bonus to hitting the guardian

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Dear Uncle Paizo-Claus,

All I want for Christmas is a Hobbogobbo Commander Iconic. I have been a very good boy this year and haven’t derailed a single game with rules lawyery bullshit.

Thanks in advance,

-Chevy Slyme

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Hampering Sweeps should be a class feature (an archetype?) instead of a class feat. Don't ruin their one cool thing because someone else can multiclass to pick it up. They also shouldn't have to waste a feat on what makes them actually work.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chevy Slyme posted:

Dear Uncle Paizo-Claus,

All I want for Christmas is a Hobbogobbo Commander Iconic. I have been a very good boy this year and haven’t derailed a single game with rules lawyery bullshit.

Thanks in advance,

-Chevy Slyme

It wouldnt be too hard to retcon General Ironfang Invasion person into just this

I'll take my consultancy fee now Paizo

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

We can get 10 offensive martials and everyone thinks that's fine, we get a second defensive martial and everyone immediately declares it to just be champion again.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hellioning posted:

We can get 10 offensive martials and everyone thinks that's fine, we get a second defensive martial and everyone immediately declares it to just be champion again.

I mean I agree that Guardian needs some refinement, but yeah.

For one thing, Taunt should not penalize the Guardian, jesus.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Taunt is, I'm going to immediately house rule that away for playtesting because what the gently caress?

Other than that it looks pretty neat thematically, and I know plenty of players who will want it.

What country in Golarion would be good to host a game with a Guardian and Commander as characters? I'm thinking Numeria and maybe one of those Northern kingdoms I haven't read enough on.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
To be fair, guardians do get options for some damage resistance and even for negating crits. But honestly, crits are nasty, and yeah no small amount of resistance is going to matter when eating crits. Especially when crits can have extra effects beyond just damage, which aren't accounted for by the mechanics.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

mind the walrus posted:

What country in Golarion would be good to host a game with a Guardian and Commander as characters? I'm thinking Numeria and maybe one of those Northern kingdoms I haven't read enough on.
Iblydos too, I think.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Hellioning posted:

then make it more different from a champion

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

sugar free jazz posted:

then make it more different from a champion

They have basically nothing in common with a champion!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SithDrummer posted:

Iblydos too, I think.
Oh that's a great pick but drat there's not enough modern material I can find. I wonder if they're doing anything with that region for War of the Immortals.

I'm getting the Firebrands book so I might hybridize where it's a 4-martial/1-spellcaster crew of pirate Firebrands doing something-or-other in the Inner Sea -- Bloodcove or Corentyn in Cheliax look like a good fit for that.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hellioning posted:

they're both built around having heavy armor, +2 to AC proficiency relative to other martials and a reaction that provides 2+level damage resistance in response to an ally being attacked, except the guardian's has a range of 5 ft with the self-redirect instead of 15 ft with a debuff or counterattack rider

e: wait holy poo poo they don't even get expert armor proficiency at level 1 that makes the +2 to be hit on taunt so much worse. you don't even need the debuff to hit other targets they'll attack you anyway for making yourself as crittable as a caster lol

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 30, 2024

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

atelier morgan posted:

they're both built around having heavy armor, +2 to AC proficiency relative to other martials and a reaction that provides 2+level damage resistance in response to an ally being attacked, except the guardian's has a range of 5 ft with the self-redirect instead of 15 ft with a debuff or counterattack rider

e: wait holy poo poo they don't even get expert armor proficiency at level 1 that makes the +2 to be hit on taunt so much worse. you don't even need the debuff to hit other targets they'll attack you anyway for making yourself as crittable as a caster lol

For an additional downside Champion's reaction also gives DR against all damage whereas the Guardian's is physical damage only (with energy DR coming from a feat)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 30, 2024

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Hellioning posted:

lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Guardian is a bit half-baked compared to a champion but seems like a pretty easy fix since it just needs a couple of buffs to the intercept/taunt mechanics and some bonus feats/automatic upgrades and it's fine.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 30, 2024

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I agree that taunt should not have the penalty and intercept could probably do with a range increase but I think guardian focusing on active defense with taunt and making themself tankier would be significantly different than the champion's reactions.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

atelier morgan posted:

To be fair Retributive Strike is only for 1 of 6 potential Champion builds and the ally takes the damage:

While the Guardian ability is very explicit that the Guardian themselves takes the damage:

quote:

That said, yeah this is a sign that the playtest is sorely needed because as-is... the Threat Technique feels more like a threat against feeling strong against enemy attacks, and armor specialization access at level 1 is very, very weak unless your GM is really kind about designing encounters just for the Guardian.

It feels like Taunt might work better if it works that way, but the enemy is now off-guard or gets some other kind of penalty for your allies -- like they get they +1 or +2 to attack rolls against them. Better risk/reward.

Andrast posted:

For an additional downside Champion's reaction also gives DR against all damage whereas the Guardian's is physical damage only (with energy DR coming from a feat)
I get it thematically. Feels like there's a way to make that a better buff -- again the obvious solution to my eyes is to give the allies a counteroffensive buff.

Even then though, like why does the Guardian have to fill every aspect of the Champion? Party synergy is Queen in PF2e, so if you know one of your party members are a Guardian then you should plan for energy DR another way, or let that be a weak point you guys can work around.

And if I hear a word of "well I don't want to have my other party members dictating my character choices" then maybe it's not the right system for you. It's not like Paizo hasn't given a truly staggering level of horizontal options to choose from for this purpose.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair Retributive Strike is only for 1 of 6 potential Champion builds and the ally takes the damage:

While the Guardian ability is very explicit that the Guardian themselves takes the damage:

i'm aware, and 'taking the damage yourself' is a significantly worse rider on the DR than getting a free strike or inflicting Enfeebled 2 no save (or even a free Step action, much as that's weaker than the others), notwithstanding how much less you're able to use an ability that protects within 5 ft rather than 15 ft

guardian doesn't need to do everything champion does, in fact i quite like the 'explode your armor at people' and 'be so swole you just shoulder check people or ground pound everyone on their asses' feats as a unique flavor direction, they just need to be tuned up

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 30, 2024

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

lol i knew i recognized this from pf1. it's Antagonize as a class feature, but worse. pretty sure there were some kind of cavalier orders or paladin archetypes that did this too.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah Taunt is, I'm going to immediately house rule that away for playtesting because what the gently caress?

Other than that it looks pretty neat thematically, and I know plenty of players who will want it.

Lastwall.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Set it in The Shackles, make the Commander a pirate captain, and the Guardian the ship's armorer.

(Set every campaign in The Shackles IMO)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dammit this is also really good, basically throw my players into a Soulsborne.

VikingofRock posted:

Set it in The Shackles, make the Commander a pirate captain, and the Guardian the ship's armorer.

(Set every campaign in The Shackles IMO)
Probably going to do this first though. I've had this weird boner for doing a Cheliax-rebellion plot b/c one of my players is doing a course on dystopian fiction, and it'll be fun to see how they act as a player in one of those stories.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If you want an almost automatic ability add an automatic level of success so bosses can only escape on crit

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I've talked one of my players into running a couple combats and me playing the Guardian this weekend. One of them is going to be an L+4 which I think is gonna be the fight that really shows up the conceptual problems of basing your tanking ability around enemy saves, but we'll see.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I had a realization about Taunt. You're not supposed to taunt everything - mostly the little guys who peel away from you to go after your back line. For the big guys, you're supposed to move in to engage them and keep them stuck to you with stuff like Hampering Sweeps and Athletics moves (which Guardian already starts trained in and emphasizes Strength for).

Even if you have to taunt a stronger enemy, you can taunt and move away from them to make them waste an action moving to you, which can keep them from doing worse three-action moves.

Guardian is about tanking, tactically - much like Commander - and now I'm understanding even more why it and Commander are being paired together.

I've talked one of my players into running a couple combats and me playing the Guardian this weekend. One of them is going to be an L+4 which I think is gonna be the fight that really shows up the conceptual problems of basing your tanking ability around enemy saves, but we'll see.

I assume that the PL+4 boss test isn't being thrown at a level 1 party with starting gear. I can't imagine level 1 characters having the breadth of options needed to deal with a threat like that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Very valid point/question. We're doing Level 6. Everybody else is playing characters they know how to play (DPS Flurry Ranger, support Bard, DPS Ranged Fire Kineticist), and I'm replacing the Fighter who plays as a sort of flex guy.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Very valid point/question. We're doing Level 6. Everybody else is playing characters they know how to play (DPS Flurry Ranger, support Bard, DPS Ranged Fire Kineticist), and I'm replacing the Fighter who plays as a sort of flex guy.

This fight is probably going to rely on Hampering Sweeps, Tripping, and Reactive Strike. Assuming that you're coming fully armed and this is a solo boss, my thoughts are that you'd want a tower fortress shield for that extra +1, and Flying Tackle as your level 4 feat to close the distance since the shield is slowing you down and get that sweet, sweet action economy.

Also you probably wouldn't be using Taunt in this fight.

vvv Oop. Thank you. I knew one of the two had a +3.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 30, 2024

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ZZT the Fifth posted:

my thoughts are that you'd want a tower shield for that extra +1,

Are you thinking of a fortress shield? Tower shield is the option that gives you a an additional +2, but only if you spend an extra action.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ZZT the Fifth posted:

This fight is probably going to rely on Hampering Sweeps, Tripping, and Reactive Strike. Assuming that you're coming fully armed and this is a solo boss, my thoughts are that you'd want a tower fortress shield for that extra +1, and Flying Tackle as your level 4 feat to close the distance since the shield is slowing you down and get that sweet, sweet action economy.

Also you probably wouldn't be using Taunt in this fight.

vvv Oop. Thank you. I knew one of the two had a +3.

We're going to try it two ways. One of those ways will be without Hampering Sweeps. Yes, I'm aware that the character doesn't function well without it, but that's kind of the point.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I need some help understanding how curse diseases work. The description does't say how to get rid of it, so I'm trying to piece it together from rules in several places.

He failed the save, so now he is both cursed and diseased. It looks like this isn't one of those afflictions where you get to keep making the save every day? He failed once and now the save doesn't matter and he just takes the effect (damage and stupefied 2) once per day?

Stupefied lasts all day unless a Restoration spell is used?

He can't be healed of the disease or any damage caused by the disease until cured of the curse. Curse can be removed with the aptly named "Remove Curse" spell. But this is a counteract check instead of just working.

quote:

Counteracting
Source Core Rulebook pg. 458 4.0
Some effects try to counteract spells, afflictions, conditions, or other effects. Counteract checks compare the power of two forces and determine which defeats the other. Successfully counteracting an effect ends it unless noted otherwise.

When attempting a counteract check, add the relevant skill modifier or other appropriate modifier to your check against the target’s DC. If you’re counteracting an affliction, the DC is in the affliction’s stat block. If it’s a spell, use the caster’s DC. The GM can also calculate a DC based on the target effect’s level. For spells, the counteract check modifier is your spellcasting ability modifier plus your spellcasting proficiency bonus, plus any bonuses and penalties that specifically apply to counteract checks. What you can counteract depends on the check result and the target’s level. If an effect is a spell, its level is the counteract level. Otherwise, halve its level and round up to determine its counteract level. If an effect’s level is unclear and it came from a creature, halve and round up the creature’s level.

Critical Success Counteract the target if its counteract level is no more than 3 levels higher than your effect’s counteract level.
Success Counteract the target if its counteract level is no more than 1 level higher than your effect’s counteract level.
Failure Counteract the target if its counteract level is lower than your effect’s counteract level.
Critical Failure You fail to counteract the target.

What? The counteract check is against the affliction's DC, but that isn't listed in this stat block. So is it the DC 26 fortitude save number? Or do I use the of the creature that inflicted it, a level 9 mummy so . . . DC 26? Or something else?

And this would be vs. the caster's "spellcasting ability modifier plus your spellcasting proficiency bonus" + d20? Basically the same as a spell attack roll against the curse DC.

Once the curse is lifted damage from the disease can be healed, but the disease itself is not healed. How do you heal the disease?

quote:

Treat Disease
Downtime Manipulate
Source Player Core pg. 242
Requirements You're wearing or holding a healer's toolkit.
You spend at least 8 hours caring for a diseased creature. Attempt a Medicine check against the disease's DC. After you attempt to Treat a Disease for a creature, you can't try again until after that creature's next save against the disease.

Critical Success You grant the creature a +4 circumstance bonus to its next saving throw against the disease.
Success You grant the creature a +2 circumstance bonus to its next saving throw against the disease.
Critical Failure Your efforts cause the creature to take a –2 circumstance penalty to its next save against the disease.

We've used Treat Disease before, but that just gives you a bonus to your next saving throw to the disease. Except this disease doesn't have saving throws? Once you have it you have it until you die, I think, you'll never recover naturally. Does that mean you can't cure it with Treat Disease and would have to use the "Remove Disease" spell?

Once you've used Remove Curse and Cure Disease successfully does that mean the Stupefied 2 goes away by itself, or do you have to finish off with a Restoration spell?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I had a realization about Taunt. You're not supposed to taunt everything - mostly the little guys who peel away from you to go after your back line. For the big guys, you're supposed to move in to engage them and keep them stuck to you with stuff like Hampering Sweeps and Athletics moves (which Guardian already starts trained in and emphasizes Strength for).

Even if you have to taunt a stronger enemy, you can taunt and move away from them to make them waste an action moving to you, which can keep them from doing worse three-action moves.

Guardian is about tanking, tactically - much like Commander - and now I'm understanding even more why it and Commander are being paired together.

Kinda just seems worse at doing that than a champion with the one exception of a level 2 feat (Hampering sweeps)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Once you hit level 2, you make a saving throw every single day. That is what the (1 day) at the end of the stage 2 effect means. You can make the save, but that just means that it goes to the 'carrier with no ill effects' stage, which has a one minute timer; you're going to fail that eventually. Yes, the stupefied 2 lasts all day because of the disease. Yes, you use the DC 26 number to indicate the target number for a counteract roll., and yes it's basically the same as a spell attack roll. Once the curse is lifted, 2 successful saving throws in a row (or one critical success on a saving throw) will get rid of the disease, as succeeding on a stage 1 (or crit succeeding on a stage 2) gets rid of a disease. The stupefied 2 will go away whenever the target is no longer in stage 2.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 1, 2024

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

When the afflictions timer is up it hits again and the victim needs to make another save. If they fail, they stay in final stage. The player makes a new save every day until they recover from the disease.

The curse is basically just making the disease impossible to recover from until you cure the curse. Cure the curse, follow normal affliction rules from there.

DC would be 26 since it’s the listed DC for the affliction.

Here’s the affliction rules
https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=2389&Redirected=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

I need some help understanding how curse diseases work. The description does't say how to get rid of it, so I'm trying to piece it together from rules in several places.

He failed the save, so now he is both cursed and diseased. It looks like this isn't one of those afflictions where you get to keep making the save every day? He failed once and now the save doesn't matter and he just takes the effect (damage and stupefied 2) once per day?

This is correct.*

quote:

Stupefied lasts all day unless a Restoration spell is used?

Yes.

quote:

He can't be healed of the disease or any damage caused by the disease until cured of the curse. Curse can be removed with the aptly named "Remove Curse" spell. But this is a counteract check instead of just working.

What? The counteract check is against the affliction's DC, but that isn't listed in this stat block. So is it the DC 26 fortitude save number? Or do I use the of the creature that inflicted it, a level 9 mummy so . . . DC 26? Or something else?

I am pretty sure the affliction's DC is the 26 fortitude save number, since that is the only DC in the stat block. The "counteract level" is also relevant here -- it's the half the creature's level, rounded up, so 5. So if you cast Remove Curse at rank 4, you can remove the curse on a success, since the mummy rot's counteract level is only 1 greater than Remove Curse's counteract level (which in turn is equal to the spell rank). If you could get an NPC or whoever to cast Remove Curse at rank 6, though, they could remove the curse even on a failed check.

quote:

And this would be vs. the caster's "spellcasting ability modifier plus your spellcasting proficiency bonus" + d20? Basically the same as a spell attack roll against the curse DC.

Correct, assuming you don't have anything else that helps the check here.

quote:

Once the curse is lifted damage from the disease can be healed, but the disease itself is not healed. How do you heal the disease?

We've used Treat Disease before, but that just gives you a bonus to your next saving throw to the disease. Except this disease doesn't have saving throws? Once you have it you have it until you die, I think, you'll never recover naturally. Does that mean you can't cure it with Treat Disease and would have to use the "Remove Disease" spell?

Treat Disease is helpful here, but not necessary. The player will make a saving throw every day. On a critical success, they are cured. On a regular success, they move back to stage 1, and have to make another save after a minute. If they succeed there, they are cured; if they fail, they are back to stage 2 for another day.

quote:

Once you've used Remove Curse and Cure Disease successfully does that mean the Stupefied 2 goes away by itself, or do you have to finish off with a Restoration spell?

No need for any further action after the disease is gone; Stupefied goes away as soon as the player is not in Stage 2. Note that not all conditions work this way. For example, Drained and Doomed have a specific way that they reduce their values (get a full night's rest), so those apply. If there is nothing like that listed for the condition, though, it gets better when the condition causing it ends.

PS: don't feel bad about being confused here; this is definitely the most complex part of PF2e's rules IMO.

PPS: I think the rules are ambiguous as to when to make the daily check. I would do it every day at either sunset, sunrise, or midnight, because those seem like cool times to do it.

*I think you could make an argument that every day that you are cursed and diseased, when you make your check, you can temporarily reduce your stage to 1, and just not fully heal it. But you have to make a new check every minute until you fail, so it almost certainly doesn't matter, unless there is an action you really really want to take during that minute where you don't want to be stupefied. Whether you can do this depends on whether "cannot be healed" means "can't get any better at all" or "can't be fully gotten rid of". I'd probably pick the latter if they players argue for it, just because I think that is the most interesting.