Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Aight thanks for the advice, I'll probably get a PDF copy or maybe a physical copy if the month's finances permit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So today I learned about talonstrike swords, which are associated with Eagle Knights. One of my players is interested in becoming an Eagle Knight, and I would like to present them with such a sword. In first edition, these were +2 defending bastard swords. But defending isn't really a thing in second edition, so I'm wondering what would be an appropriate replacement. I was thinking maybe it could have a special quality that let you treat the bastard sword as if it were a buckler for purposes of Raise Shield. Maybe that would need some kind of limit? What would you think would make a good Eagle Knight sword special ability?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Isn't that basically what the Parry weapon trait does?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah just put Parry onto the weapon, although the Parry is a +1 versus a +2. You can always rule it that way at your table for theming reasons.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/s/TUA0UvvTZW

Preview of one of the new commanders abilities.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Holy gently caress that's incredible. Casters even get in on the fun!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah just put Parry onto the weapon, although the Parry is a +1 versus a +2. You can always rule it that way at your table for theming reasons.

Lol once again I was overthinking the whole thing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Playtest for Commander and Guardian:

https://paizo.com/pathfinderplaytest

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

From the makers of "omg you can't just yell arms back on!", we present "omg you can't just yell people back to life!"

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Commander looks like a lot of fun for a player into tactics. An intelligence-based marshal class whose actions basically let the group do extra stuff is pretty cool. Seems good for groups with different levels of interest and skill at the game too, the super knowledgeable person can make up for the people who are less combat oriented. Plus, it opens up a ton of new role-playing basing a character on Alexander the Great, Hannibal, Napoleon or any number of legendary generals.

Not sure how I feal about the guardian. Kind of wish they got 12 hit points per level. The armor break feat has me pretty skeptical too. Breaking your armor seems pretty rough for an armor-based class.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gurragadon posted:

Commander looks like a lot of fun for a player into tactics. An intelligence-based marshal class whose actions basically let the group do extra stuff is pretty cool. Seems good for groups with different levels of interest and skill at the game too, the super knowledgeable person can make up for the people who are less combat oriented. Plus, it opens up a ton of new role-playing basing a character on Alexander the Great, Hannibal, Napoleon or any number of legendary generals.

Not sure how I feal about the guardian. Kind of wish they got 12 hit points per level. The armor break feat has me pretty skeptical too. Breaking your armor seems pretty rough for an armor-based class.

Commander seems sweet. Definitely not sold on Guardian, there does not seem to be many reasons to pick up one over a champion as it currently stands.

Guardian also desperately needed some bonus feats, giving up some of these straight class ability upgrades is painful and not in a good way.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 29, 2024

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
guardian can finally make a passable sidegrade to a paladin champion at level 12

they really gotta let this one cook for a bit. when the description says you leap to get in the way why not just let them leap to get in the way of a target within 15 ft like champion reactions, rather than having to be adjacent?

commander looks like great fun though

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 29, 2024

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I think the taunting mechanic is what sets the Guardian apart, and it's certainly the best way to do it. It's growing on me, but it definitely needs to cook, as you said.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Our 8 person group would love a commander/warlord, too bad that group has gone over to 5e.

My sister was thinking of running a Bloodborne themed campaign once we finish Abom Vaults. A dreamlike setting of madness and monsters. I think that might mesh somewhat with our GM's thoughts about running a "party vs undead apocalypse", just with a lovecraftian tinge, but I haven't played Bloodborne myself.

Isn't there a pathfinder country ran by a lich that might have that thematic setting? I think Knights of Lastwall covers some of it, I'll have to check that out. Are there any adventures set there? Blood Lords maybe?

I sent the GM my copy of The Lost Citadel with survivors holding up in an old dwarf hold against a tide of undead, but thats a third party 5e setting.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

3 Action Economist posted:

I think the taunting mechanic is what sets the Guardian apart, and it's certainly the best way to do it. It's growing on me, but it definitely needs to cook, as you said.

Guardian is definitely underbaked right now - doesn’t do a good enough job distinguishing itself from the Champion. I think the taunt is half of the answer and I think the other half is in feats like Shoulder Check and Flying Tackle - this is our heavy armor brawler answer to the monk. Emphasize maneuvers and positioning over damage dealing and you might finally start cooking something that feels different enough to exist.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Commander very much seems a bit more dialed in than Guardian. You can do neat things to mess with the action economy, but you can only prepare so many and everyone can only use one of them a turn. Also they are either auditory or visual, so there are ways to shut them down [Which is nice for when your GM also looks at them and goes "Man, sure would be cool to put these on the undead champion I had planned."]. Also has some neat substitution plays, using Warfare Lore for a lot of random things, using Intelligence in some places you'd normally have to use something else. And yes, they still have multiple "Yell at people to put their arms back on" healing moves, gently caress the joyless ghoul that thought that was ever a bad idea. Even get an animal companion, why not?

Seems neat, although I'm super interested in what it's archetype would look like. Even flavoring a little of that on some other things could be funny.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

3 Action Economist posted:

taunt working by means of making you as juicy a target as anybody else by downgrading your armor proficiency is really not the way to do taunt. ferocious vengeance isn't very much damage and mitigate harm won't do much of anything to actually mitigate the crits you're asking for doing that. plus you're spending an action to do it AND it grants a save

meanwhile redeemer champion just gets to throw out -2s for free with their reaction

needs to cook, but they've been doing good jobs at that so far

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bagrada posted:

Our 8 person group would love a commander/warlord, too bad that group has gone over to 5e.

I'm using this third party warlord in my current game, and while the rest of the table may be considering clasping a shock collar on me and activate it everytime I mention Pathfinder, it has been alright.

That said, we're running a Gestalt campaign with some heavy house ruling, so it's a lot more fun than usual.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

bagrada posted:

My sister was thinking of running a Bloodborne themed campaign once we finish Abom Vaults. A dreamlike setting of madness and monsters. I think that might mesh somewhat with our GM's thoughts about running a "party vs undead apocalypse", just with a lovecraftian tinge, but I haven't played Bloodborne myself.

Isn't there a pathfinder country ran by a lich that might have that thematic setting? I think Knights of Lastwall covers some of it, I'll have to check that out. Are there any adventures set there? Blood Lords maybe?

I sent the GM my copy of The Lost Citadel with survivors holding up in an old dwarf hold against a tide of undead, but thats a third party 5e setting.

Bloodborne doesn't really evoke a person vs. undead feel, and I don't know if that's the best way of going about it. In Bloodborne you are a hunter who hunts beasts who eventually become more eldritch and esoteric as the game progresses. PF2e has the outer gods, and they might be a better start for a campaign like this.

https://2e.aonprd.com/DeityCategories.aspx?ID=13

I'm not as knowledgeable on pathfinder lore and what AP's they have released, but if there is one based around one of these gods I would look into that.

Edit: Besides Nhimbaloth of course, because your just about the finish abomination vaults. And for more bloodborne lore, the player is more of an aggressor in both gameplay and goals. You are the one out of the hunt, not really being hunted.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 29, 2024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I do love that since Commander is so reliant on letting people use reactions for off turn attacks that they have a way to grant a free reaction, so you still get to let your fighters AoO.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

bagrada posted:

Blood Lords in set in Geb, which is full of undead but not in an apocalyptic way. The country run by an evil lich that wrecked everything is the Gravelands (formerly Lastwall). There is an AP about the fall of Lastwall: Tyrant's Grasp, the final AP of PF1. I can't remember if there's a fan conversion to PF2 for it yet.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

not sure what guardian is gonna do that wouldn’t be better served as a champion archetype

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Glad to see the return of the Mark, although I wish they hadn't put it behind a die roll.

Both these classes seem like they're cool although I have to agree with thread consensus that the Commander feels like the more "complete" of the two.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Glad to see the return of the Mark, although I wish they hadn't put it behind a die roll.

Both these classes seem like they're cool although I have to agree with thread consensus that the Commander feels like the more "complete" of the two.

It only fully failing on a critical success does a lot to blunt the blow for me, especially if future feats end up using the Will save for something. But still, having a mark that both requires a save and is only soft control hurts, and it probably wouldn't hurt to beef up the control anyway. At the very least, give them more bonus class feats.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

sugar free jazz posted:

not sure what guardian is gonna do that wouldn’t be better served as a champion archetype

Not be divinely-related, for one thing.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

this was the case for the war of immortals playtest too, so i guess that's just how things do with these.

i might have been more interested in animist if it were primal

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My champion player was pretty stoked at this in particular.

You can sleep in your armor! We've had exactly one (1) fight start during sleepy time when he was stuck with just his gambeson instead of his full armor. But sleeping in armor gets him excited. Apparently the only other way to get that is locked behind a dedication.

Getting armor specialization at level 1 is pretty sweet too. Resistance 1 to slashing or whatever isn't much, but it's more impressive at level 1 than level 7.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Mister Olympus posted:

i might have been more interested in animist if it were primal

I get it, especially pre-remaster when the primal spell list was so much easier to use than the divine spell list, but the Animist being a divine spellcaster is honestly what makes me interested in it thematically. Mostly because games have a tendency to treat animism as some mystical othered thing that isn't like our Proper Religions, and this being holy in the way every other religion that isn't directly nature-based druidism is feels nice.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It only fully failing on a critical success does a lot to blunt the blow for me, especially if future feats end up using the Will save for something. But still, having a mark that both requires a save and is only soft control hurts, and it probably wouldn't hurt to beef up the control anyway. At the very least, give them more bonus class feats.

The thing that concerns me is: higher level boss guys is exactly when you want the Mark to work, and exactly when it's most likely to fail.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

My champion player was pretty stoked at this in particular.

You can sleep in your armor! We've had exactly one (1) fight start during sleepy time when he was stuck with just his gambeson instead of his full armor. But sleeping in armor gets him excited. Apparently the only other way to get that is locked behind a dedication.

Getting armor specialization at level 1 is pretty sweet too. Resistance 1 to slashing or whatever isn't much, but it's more impressive at level 1 than level 7.

the commander can also do this

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The thing that concerns me is: higher level boss guys is exactly when you want the Mark to work, and exactly when it's most likely to fail.

it's also when the downside of the guardian's pseudo-mark (eat poo poo to crits) is at it's absolute worst

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Not be divinely-related, for one thing.

make that part of the dedication or make it a fighter intended thing if that's your problem. you really shouldn't be making an entirely new class that's just a non-divine version of something that already exists. there are already big tanky protect other people frontliners, why make another class that fills that role. as it stands i see nothing new or interesting about the guardian

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The mark mechanic making enemies 10% more likely to crit you with both strikes and spells seems... really bad. I understand they want it to have some kind of downside, but drat.

And yeah if you're gonna have that kind of mechanic, you'd better be giving d12 hit points.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I get it, especially pre-remaster when the primal spell list was so much easier to use than the divine spell list, but the Animist being a divine spellcaster is honestly what makes me interested in it thematically. Mostly because games have a tendency to treat animism as some mystical othered thing that isn't like our Proper Religions, and this being holy in the way every other religion that isn't directly nature-based druidism is feels nice.

okay but there's already two divine-only full casters, two any-list casters, and one each exclusive to the other traditions. that ain't right. make it occult if you have to

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Yeah I'm just gonna say that the Taunt shouldn't have a save and shouldn't give enemies a bonus to attack you. Also Armored Counterattack should be a base feature instead of a level 12 feat. All in all I think the Guardian looks really bad, there's little there you can't do better with Champion. There's lots more I could say but I think it's already been said.

Commander on the other hand looks fun.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

okay but there's already two divine-only full casters, two any-list casters, and one each exclusive to the other traditions. that ain't right. make it occult if you have to

Actually, there are two occult-only full casters: the Psychic and the Bard.

Though there is a bit of a "hole" here, since there are no Wis-based occult or arcane casters. A caster with Cleric/Druid-style access to the entire arcane list would probably be overpowered, but I think the occult list would be fine if other class features were kept to a minimum.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 29, 2024

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah I'm just gonna say that the Taunt shouldn't have a save and shouldn't give enemies a bonus to attack you. Also Armored Counterattack should be a base feature instead of a level 12 feat. All in all I think the Guardian looks really bad, there's little there you can't do better with Champion. There's lots more I could say but I think it's already been said.

Commander on the other hand looks fun.

I think you can have either a save or a downside. I understand wanting it not to be just a mandatory action tax that you're always doing without putting any thought into its use, but this ain't it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lol ok, the Guardian's actual Mark is hidden in the class feat, as a one action feat at level 2:

HAMPERING SWEEPS FEAT 2
GUARDIAN
You make it difficult for enemies to move away from you once they have gotten close. Until the beginning of your next turn or until you move, whichever comes first, foes within reach of the weapon you are wielding or your unarmed attack can’t use move actions to move outside of the reach of your weapon or unarmed attack. They can still move to other squares within reach of your weapon or unarmed attack.

So yeah, this is a must take if you want to actually lock down the big boss monsters. It's also pretty busted IMO and I'm saying that as somebody who wants to see the class work.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Lol ok, the Guardian's actual Mark is hidden in the class feat, as a one action feat at level 2:

HAMPERING SWEEPS FEAT 2
GUARDIAN
You make it difficult for enemies to move away from you once they have gotten close. Until the beginning of your next turn or until you move, whichever comes first, foes within reach of the weapon you are wielding or your unarmed attack can’t use move actions to move outside of the reach of your weapon or unarmed attack. They can still move to other squares within reach of your weapon or unarmed attack.

So yeah, this is a must take if you want to actually lock down the big boss monsters. It's also pretty busted IMO and I'm saying that as somebody who wants to see the class work.

That feat is imo the best thing about the class

Edit: As a level 2 feat though it'd be pretty easy to archetype for if it stays the way it is, and the dedication will probably grant heavy armor proficiency

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HAMPERING SWEEPS FEAT 2
GUARDIAN

yeah i mean if guardian released as is i'd be very tempted to take the dedication and whatever the 'take a 1st/2nd level feat' option is just to grab this with any champion/fighter/weapon thaum/etc