Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
The beginner box is extremely good. It comes with cardboard tokens for all the monsters, players, premade characters and a nice double sided map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I play digitally, so I'll be using the Foundry VTT module. I've heard nothing but good things about Foundry itself, and the official Beginner Box module.

Not quite sure what to do after the Beginner's Box though. Troubles in Otari follows afterwards, but that will get my party to level 5, where Abomination Vaults looks like it should start at level 1 or 2. Maybe I should just go directly to AV, but I like the idea of really establishing Otari as a home base with TIO in between.

I suppose I could scale AV up a little in the beginning, not sure how hard it would be. I've DM'd a couple of years of 5e so I know my way around numbers and how to tweak and homebrew stuff there, but PF2e is new to me.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
You could just let them rip through the first levels of the Vaults since the way XP works it should normalize some time around the time they get to the 4th floor or so.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Rythian posted:

I play digitally, so I'll be using the Foundry VTT module. I've heard nothing but good things about Foundry itself, and the official Beginner Box module.

Not quite sure what to do after the Beginner's Box though. Troubles in Otari follows afterwards, but that will get my party to level 5, where Abomination Vaults looks like it should start at level 1 or 2. Maybe I should just go directly to AV, but I like the idea of really establishing Otari as a home base with TIO in between.

I suppose I could scale AV up a little in the beginning, not sure how hard it would be. I've DM'd a couple of years of 5e so I know my way around numbers and how to tweak and homebrew stuff there, but PF2e is new to me.

The foundry module looks pretty amazing to be honest.

If you wanted to upscale an enemy, the PF2 module on foundry just lets you hit the "Elite" button to upscale the stats on an enemy, it applies a template to a prexisting enemy!
https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=790

Alternately you can adjust the encounter using the xp rules
https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=497

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I think I might go for that. Scale up the early bits of AV, level them up a little bit slower, and they'll catch up soon enough.

Thanks for the help!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I combined the beginner box, trouble in Otari, and abomination vaults by increasing the xp needed to level. Weaving them together worked really well and helped flesh out the town and npcs.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

I combined the beginner box, trouble in Otari, and abomination vaults by increasing the xp needed to level. Weaving them together worked really well and helped flesh out the town and npcs.

I've seen several people recommend this approach. I might give it a try myself — it would help break up the delving in AV, and would help certain later plot points hit harder. Plus, my players love roleplaying with the townsfolk.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
https://paizo.com/products/btq02e0v?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-190-The-Choosing

New adventure path announced. Looks like a wacky adventure to find all the magical tarot cards

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is it the deck of many tarrasques?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Rythian posted:

I'm playing in an AV campaign and my DM has been sprinkling in Troubles in Otari quests whenever we're back in town. It's always a little obvious cause we loving destroy the enemies in those bits but its fun to be so overpowered every once in a while.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Jarvisi posted:

https://paizo.com/products/btq02e0v?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-190-The-Choosing

New adventure path announced. Looks like a wacky adventure to find all the magical tarot cards

Oooo. A new tarot Harrow reader archetype is confirmed in the Player's Handbook. I wonder if it will be usable with the physical deck they're releasing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

What little bit of PF2 I've gotten to play was in Organized Play, and I've only ever played a Monk so far, so armor was never an issue for me. But, I was looking at it earlier since I'm really liking how kineticist looks so far and wanted to pregame a little bit about what I'd need/want for gear, so that means finally looking at armor.

Now, is it just me, or is the chain shirt awful? I mean, same stats as studded leather, except it costs more and has that Noisy trait.
What possible reason is there to want to use it? Especially if you have the 12 STR needed to ignore the check penalty.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Only reason is to take advantage of the Chain armor specialization over the Leather one. Not much of a reason, but I guess it exists?

E: Wait, nevermind. That only applies to Medium and Heavy armor. I guess it's just aesthetic. :/

Double E: And you don't take a -1 to Athletics and Acrobatics since its Flexible. * shrug *

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 31, 2022

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the_steve posted:

What little bit of PF2 I've gotten to play was in Organized Play, and I've only ever played a Monk so far, so armor was never an issue for me. But, I was looking at it earlier since I'm really liking how kineticist looks so far and wanted to pregame a little bit about what I'd need/want for gear, so that means finally looking at armor.

Now, is it just me, or is the chain shirt awful? I mean, same stats as studded leather, except it costs more and has that Noisy trait.
What possible reason is there to want to use it? Especially if you have the 12 STR needed to ignore the check penalty.

Most of the “bad trade” armor types like that exist to provide a template for specific magic items that are built on them. You should basically never buy them as starting gear.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
They have different armor specialization effects and also I think there are some unique magical chain shirts.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mechayahiko posted:

They have different armor specialization effects and also I think there are some unique magical chain shirts.

Armor specialization effects don’t apply to light armor though. So it’s just for the unique magical
Items really.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SilverMike posted:

Only reason is to take advantage of the Chain armor specialization over the Leather one. Not much of a reason, but I guess it exists?

E: Wait, nevermind. That only applies to Medium and Heavy armor. I guess it's just aesthetic. :/

Double E: And you don't take a -1 to Athletics and Acrobatics since its Flexible. * shrug *

Ok, but if you have 12 STR, the check penalties don't apply anyways, so flexible would be moot unless you had low STR, wouldn't it?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the_steve posted:

Ok, but if you have 12 STR, the check penalties don't apply anyways, so flexible would be moot unless you had low STR, wouldn't it?

Correct. The edge case for optimal chain shirt is:

You have exactly 16 Dex. (Or less, but are only proficient in light armor)

You have 10 or less Str.

You care about Acrobatics and/or Athletics (perhaps you are planning to do things like Squeeze or Jump), but you don't care as much about Sneaking or Thievery.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
If you're playing foundry for the love of god don't update the game until pf2 is released for it.

This is my story.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I watched the v10 release twitch stream and I'm really looking forward to some of the new features but I think I'll definitely be holding off for a month or two before I update.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jarvisi posted:

If you're playing foundry for the love of god don't update the game until pf2 is released for it.

This is my story.

I've learned this the hard way during a much less comprehensive Foundry update. I'm waiting a month or two, yeah.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, is there a recommended horror themed PF2 pre made campaign? I'd like to squirrel that knowledge away in case I get to pick or influence our group's next game.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, is there a recommended horror themed PF2 pre made campaign? I'd like to squirrel that knowledge away in case I get to pick or influence our group's next game.

The newest AP currently getting monthly releases is Blood Lord’s an Evil-ish campaign set in Geb, the Nectomancer empire ruled by undead.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It'd be easy to adapt the first part of both the first book or the second book into a one shot if you just want one of those

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmmn. Not really looking for evilish. Curse of Strahd but PF2 is basically what I'm looking for, isn't there one with a spoooooky carnival?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hmmn. Not really looking for evilish. Curse of Strahd but PF2 is basically what I'm looking for, isn't there one with a spoooooky carnival?

At least from my experience in reading first two books and running the first part currently. It's not really evil as in like you are being asked to be an overtly bad person.

Could obviously change in later books.

But the circus one is Extinction Curse, it's not particularly spooky tho.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm not sure which one you're thinking about there, but there is Malevolence. I've not played it, so I can't vouch for the quality, but it sounds like the kind of thing you're after.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

I'm not sure which one you're thinking about there, but there is Malevolence. I've not played it, so I can't vouch for the quality, but it sounds like the kind of thing you're after.

I ran it. (Or tried to.) It reads a lot better than it runs. They took this guy's homebrew notes for a pretty fun haunted mansion mystery, then to publish it they overstuffed it with extraneous combat to make sure PCs hit those XP thresholds, and made it the showcase for their optional Research mechanic in a most obnoxious, nonfunctional way possible. I ultimately killed the game halfway through the module to stop the pain.

I wouldn't bother using PF2 for a horror-ish game, tbh, the tone and the gameplay clash too much IMO. Just run some horror-themed OSR like Mork Bork or something.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmmn. Does PF2 hit the same basic thing of PF1/3.0. Where there's a real difference in adventures between low and high level parties? If so, what are the best regarded or thread favorite published campaigns for levels 1-10ish?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

As long as you're group is up for a dungeon crawl, Abomination Vaults is near univerally acknowledged to be good. It's 1-10ish.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Dexo posted:

But the circus one is Extinction Curse, it's not particularly spooky tho.

Can confirm, the circus one is not particularly spooky. I ran it with my group.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hmmn. Does PF2 hit the same basic thing of PF1/3.0. Where there's a real difference in adventures between low and high level parties? If so, what are the best regarded or thread favorite published campaigns for levels 1-10ish?

Combat capabilities are designed to change most noticeably when spellcasters would get new odd level spells. So levels 5, 9, 13, and 17.

Characters are also really complex, people new to the system really shouldn't make high level characters while still learning the game.

Abomination Vaults is great and goes from 1-10.

Unlike D&D high level play actually works and there is no reason to avoid it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can't speak to their quality or spookiness, but there were a bunch of short (but I think connected?) adventures in Dark Archive, and I'd assume at least a few of those are horror-adjacent

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm playing a goblin grandma investigator in an upcoming game. I'm basically gonna be Columbo but everyone gets "tea" with unidentifiable bits in it. "Trust me sweety, it's good for your heart."

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jen X posted:

Can't speak to their quality or spookiness, but there were a bunch of short (but I think connected?) adventures in Dark Archive, and I'd assume at least a few of those are horror-adjacent

There's also a 3rd level adventure in Book of the Dead that is horror-ish.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

It doesn't help a lot right now, but there's a new adventure path starting in January called Gatewalkers that seems to be horror themed.

https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Gatewalkers

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Jen X posted:

I've only read them, but they do seem like fun little adventures of varying quality. It's probably better to think of them as a season of fantasy-themed X-Files, if you want to know what kind of tone they're going for. It even does the that thing where every adventure is episodic and starts with you getting dumped in a new weird situation, but the final one is about the mysterious benefactor metaplot and ends in a hook for future seasons.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Anyone solving the Dark Archive ARG? the clues are gibberish to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Mechayahiko posted:

Anyone solving the Dark Archive ARG? the clues are gibberish to me.

No that’s what Redditors are for