Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah IMO if you are a divine spell list user you really want to go human for Adapted Cantrip and pick up Electric Arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Which of the magic damage types (fire, cold, etc) is generally the most useful

Sonic>>Electricity>Cold>Acid>Fire

Another win for Electric Arc, and also despite Fire being the lowest due to the massive number of creatures immune/resistant to it there are also a ton weak to it so it's still useful to have, just not as a primary element

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 31, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

ConanThe3rd posted:

So when you say "Trash Goblin" do you mean a literal goblin whomst power involves trash (And Ork logic powers, from what I'm reading)?

Trash goblin is a real thing

Junk Tinker posted:

You can make useful tools out of even twisted or rusted scraps. When using the Crafting skill to Craft, you can make level 0 items, including weapons but not armor, out of junk. This reduces the Price to one-quarter the usual amount but always results in a shoddy item. Shoddy items normally give a penalty, but you don't take this penalty when using shoddy items you made.

You can also incorporate junk to save money while you Craft any item. This grants you a discount on the item as if you had spent 1 additional day working to reduce the cost, but the item is obviously made of junk. At the GM's discretion, this might affect the item's resale value depending on the buyer's tastes.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Crafting is supposed to be a major part of the system, to the point where two classes are supposedly heavily focused on making items (Alchemist and Inventor), and to make them work they basically just entirely ignore the crafting system and make poo poo for free instantly.

Also the making money system is pretty pointless and shouldn't be a consideration in anything, everyone has effectively the same results anyway so it's boring and pointless busywork that doesn't interact with anything. People take crafting skill increases and feats because they want to be able to craft things, and it's basically pointless when you can just use your Athletics or a Lore skill instead and not have to waste picks on something that has basically no effect 90%+ of the time

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 5, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Harold Fjord posted:

The slots come from "spellcasting archetype" https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=170

The feat doesn't have to say so. That's the beauty and terror of minimalist rule design.

So the basic spellcasting feat excludes the information above, because it is redundant.

You are not correct.

quote:

Basic Spellcasting Feat: Usually gained at 4th level, these feats grant a 1st-level spell slot. At 6th level, they grant you a 2nd-level spell slot, and if you have a spell repertoire, you can select one spell from your repertoire as a signature spell. At 8th level, they grant you a 3rd-level spell slot. Archetypes refer to these benefits as the "basic spellcasting benefits".

Literally every other archetype that gives basic spellcasting benefits says that it does so. This doesnt, it is a mistake either way. If it is intended to give basic spellcasting benefits, it needs to say so, because it currently does not. If it instead gives its own spell slots, it also needs to say so, which it currently doesn't.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Harold Fjord posted:

You can complain all you want that it doesn't say explicitly what you wish it did there, but RAW it gives you spell slots.

"We made a word that means the rule". Ok. The rule still is the rule, even when they didn't use the word.

That they didn't use the redundant word fits perfectly with their minimalist approach. It's terrible, but it works.

No, it doesn't, you are not correct. See Captivator, which despite having a feat named "Basic/Expert/Master Captivator Spellcasting" does not give basic/expert/master spellcasting benefits.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Harold Fjord posted:

What slots do you think captivator is using? This is incoherent

You specifically cast them as innate spells, it's not the same thing as the basic spellcasting benefits

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Harold Fjord posted:

Oh. I was confused how you thought they compare. He doesn't use the slots.

That doesn't mean he doesn't get them.

Have they errata'd that all Captivator basic spells are innate? RAW only the first is

Yes, all the captivator spells are listed as innate. The Captivator doesn't get basic spellcasting/expert/master benefits, and neither does Oatia Skysage

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
If Captivator gets basic/expert/master spellcasting benefits then they would be getting the slots from that on top of the innate spells. They don't. If it doesn't list "basic spellcasting benefits", you don't get them

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Harold Fjord posted:

If you want to play with a worse interpretation of the rules, go for it its your table

Do you think Captivors get both the innate spells and slots from basic spellcasting benefits? I suspect you don't, despite that being the result your interpretation demands.

Oatia Skysage clearly needed more editing (see also Starlight Armor which is missing a duration), I don't know why you're so insistent on this interpretation that makes zero sense when applied generally when "the person writing this didn't use the correct term" is the real answer

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Harold Fjord posted:

They made a term to use as a reference to a rule. Not using that term when referring to a rule is a poor choice, i agree. It doesn't make the rule inapplicable when otherwise obviously applicable.

RAW I'd give them both wands.

I didn't ask about wands. Do you think Captivors get both the innate spells listed in the feats and slots from basic/expert/master spellcasting benefits?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
MAP always applies unless the ability specifically says it doesn't

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
You can also see if your DM is willing to switch to using the Automatic Bonus Progression rules variant.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yeah, the Statblock option looks like this

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Crossbows are generally bad, yeah, but the precision ranger can make them workable if you do it correctly, if you really want to use a crossbow

Guns are also in the same situation, but they have an entire class dedicated to making them workable

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

does it make it work numbers wise?

Yes, gunslinger are fine (well, depending on subclass), they're basically fighters who are focused on a bad weapon. The subclasses focused on fighting with guns in melee and switching between shooting and melee kind of run into the question of "why don't I just focus on stabbing people, this is a lot of work to basically do the same or less damage", but fighter accuracy + fatal covers for a lot

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 18, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Harold Fjord posted:

There are feats to use strength for intimidation check.

No there aren't, Intimidating Prowess just gives you a +1/+2 bonus for having 16/20 strength

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

gurragadon posted:

I'm a new player to Pathfinder 2e coming from Dnd 5e and I'm curious about all the ability score talk. For my first character I made a wizard and ensured that my intelligence was 18 to start.

Usually when I make a character, I like to basically randomize everything about my character, including rolling for race, class and using the deep background feature from the DMG. I then use Xanathars Guide from 5e to roll up a background story to work from. I rarely have any kind of concept and like to let the dice decide who I'll play for the next adventure. When I did this for my wizard originally my intelligence was only 16. Is that a huge disadvantage? I ended up fudging the deep background a bit to get to 18 intelligence because it is our first game.

My table does not play in an optimized way so other characters aren't using meta builds that are overpowered, but they have concepts so their characters will have the main stat at 18. Basically, what I'm asking is if I roll a random character that ends up having a 16 in its main stat will I really be a detriment to my party or will I just be slightly worse? Once I get my concept from the initial dice rolls my level ups are always in a way to make my character stronger, I don't deliberately hamper myself past the initial rolls.

You shouldn't need to fudge anything to get an 18, backgrounds and ancestries come with at least one free ability boost you can put wherever.

A 16 intelligence is playable (at 5-9 and 15-19 you'll even have the same stat bonus as someone who starts with an 18), but you're going to be worse at the things you're going to spend the majority of your time doing at those other levels. On 10% of your int-based actions you're going to be doing substantially worse, as what would be a hit turns into a miss, or what would be a crit failure on a save turns into just a regular failure

Piell fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 19, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Can animal companions do trips?

Yes

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

gurragadon posted:

With the deep background feature, you roll on a table for your number of siblings which gives a corresponding boost to two ability scores. You don't get to pick a free one that way unless I'm reading it wrong, which is very possible.

Sorry, you're correct, I misremembered the deep background rules

quote:

Im really suprised that a +1 can be substantially worse too, but im glad I ended up just changed my intelligence to 18 for this run through. Is it just because of how the DC is set for enemies in this game?

What felt bad about it? Just your attacks never hitting? I've noticed with wizard casting any kind of damage spell seems pretty pointless so far and I'm best at buffing melee anyway.

In Pathfinder 2e, if you beat the save DC or AC by 10, you critically succeed and similarly for failing by 10 or you critically fail. If you normally hit on a 9, then a 19 is a critical success on top of a 20. -1 not only makes you succeed less (going from 60% to 55%) but also crit less (going from 10% to 5%), and one of those two results is going to come up 10% of the time, meaning it'll probably happen at least a couple times a session if it's your main stat.

Piell fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 19, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

gurragadon posted:

That makes sense, so that penalty is really the most punishing by lowering the chances of critical hits? Spells don't crit the same as martial attacks though, right? Each spell has its own crit effect if it has one described in the spell. Unless once again I'm reading that wrong, the rules are a lot denser than 5e.

Do critical failures on spell saves work differently or are they described in the spell as well?

Spells will either have the saving throw results listed in the spell itself or as "basic" Fort/Reflex/Will which is just double damage for critical failure, normal damage on a regular failure, half damage on a success, no damage on a crit success.

As far as listed results, look at something like Fear, which has a Will saving throw

quote:

Critical Success The target is unaffected.
Success The target is frightened 1.
Failure The target is frightened 2.
Critical Failure The target is frightened 3 and fleeing for 1 round.

Having a -1 DC penalty turn a crit failure into a regular failure or a success into a critical success for the enemy is a very substantial downgrade to the spell's effectiveness, on top of just turning a hit into a miss (and since you only lose 1 frightened level per turn, its more than just increasing the penalty to checks/DC)

Note that this also means that buffs/penalties can make a major difference - frightened 2 means -2 to saves/AC/attacks, meaning that your allies that were landing crits 10% of the time are now doing so 20% of the time, in addition to going from 60% to 70% chance to hit

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

gurragadon posted:

Thanks for your answers everyone. I didn't realize there was the "basic save" option for every spell if it wasn't listed. I still feel like wizards are pretty bad damage dealers though, am I wrong?

Single target direct damage is generally mediocre at best, but AoE damage is better. By definition if you're fighting a bunch of low level enemies thats worth using AoE then their saves are going to be lower, meaning they are a lot more likely to fail/crit fail and take a ton of damage, whereas when you want to use a single target damage spell its a lot more likely to be a stronger enemy that is more likely to make its save.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Rescue Toaster posted:

Are y'all sticking with trip weapons then? Or does anybody actually keep a hand 'free'?

I assume what is being referred to is the Knockdown feat, but trip weapons are indeed very popular. Also free hand fighters are IMO the strongest fighters, free hand feats are extremely good. Automatically making an enemy flat-footed on a successful Strike and automatic grab in a successful Strike as level 1 and 2 feats are amazing just by themselves

Piell fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 20, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Funnily enough Oracle is the one I would add as one to avoid as a new player, some of the curses are really debilitating

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

marshmallow creep posted:

What makes wizard underwhelming apart from "is better at buffs" and "not great single target but gets good AoE? Complexity? Unsatisfying spell lists?

Sorcerer is generally better, especially for new players, because spontaneous casting is better in almost every situation and is a lot easier to use. Cha is also generally a better primary stat because it has awesome third action options that dont need GM adjucation, whereas Int only has Recall Knowledge which can be very DM dependent on how good it is (as well player dependent to respond to it). Low level casters in general are not great and wizard is just probably the worst one at low levels

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 20, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
For one thing wizards should've had a Quick Alchemy style thing baked in for making scrolls, a couple times a day you can cast a spell taken from your entire spellbook. Give some benefit for having a bunch of niche spells in your spellbooks and make wizards the masters of utility.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Thaumaturge also has "spiritual but fighty" flavor

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Perestroika posted:

Our group is just doing our first 2e campaign and are looking through the treasure vault and... is it just us or is the distinction between simple/martial/advanced weapons kind of extremely arbitrary? Sure, something like the three-section-naginata being advanced very much fits, that thing easily seems complex enough to warrant it. But then you've got stuff like the karambit (farm implement turned weapon), falcata (slightly more choppy sword), and gada (literally just a metal club) somehow counting as advanced, too. Meanwhile stuff that you'd think would be much more difficult to use like the rope dart or meteor hammer "only" counts as martial.

Now, fortunately our DM is more than willing to waive that on request (doubly so since there's basically nothing in there for rogues otherwise), but I can't help but wonder what their reasoning even is here. Is advanced just a "only fighters are supposed to have this" thing now?

Weapons are basically built on a point buy system, advanced weapons are built on more points than martial which are built on more points than simple (also uncommon stuff gets more points than common, though less than the advanced->martial->simple steps). If you want to make a weapon like a Falcata with the highest one handed damage allowed AND a very good trait, it has to be advanced

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 1, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Rescue Toaster posted:

I don't think the guy is aiming to create unnecessary conflict with the other players

yes he is, also he's literally already causing unnecessary conflict with you, get rid of him now and have fun instead of let him destroy your game

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 22, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Rescue Toaster posted:

Oh, definitely. I was mainly just so surprised out of nowhere, I really didn't expect it from this player. And I've already said a lot of the things brought up here (all good points). And I'm trying to balance hesitancy to blow a hole in an already small group vs figuring out how to make it work within the story, etc... and then my brain was just "Holy poo poo I don't want to deal with this."

If you've already said a bunch of things about how you don't want him to do this and he keeps saying he's going to do it, he is absolutely not worth keeping around

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Aid is pretty mediocre at low levels and gets better at medium/high levels when you can regularly crit on it and give a +3/+4 bonus

Piell fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 28, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Government Handjob posted:

Thanks for the input! I'm still getting used to the system and fiddling around with pathbuilder while we're playing through Troubles in Otari with pregens so I have some time to ponder before session 0 and character creation.

Another thing I was wondering about is weapons with the versatile trait like bastard swords. If you have a free hand does it cost an action to adjust your grip for a two handed strike?

Removing a hand is free, adding a hand is an action

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Adding a fundamental rune makes it a Magic Weapon, which has the magical trait.

According to the Damage Rules we see that a magical weapon (like a +1 mace, ie a Magic Weapon) deals magical damage of its type

quote:

If you have resistance to a type of damage, each time you take that type of damage, you reduce the amount of damage you take by the listed amount (to a minimum of 0 damage). Resistance can specify combinations of damage types or other traits. For instance, you might encounter a monster that’s resistant to non-magical bludgeoning damage, meaning it would take less damage from bludgeoning attacks that weren’t magical, but would take normal damage from your +1 mace (since it’s magical) or a non-magical spear (since it deals piercing damage). A resistance also might have an exception. For example, resistance 10 to physical damage (except silver) would reduce any physical damage by 10 unless that damage was dealt by a silver weapon.

Arrows are listed as ammunition, not weapons, and aren't what is technically doing the damage (they don't have a listed damage amount). The Shortbow (or whatever) is what is doing the damage, and if it is a magical weapon it is doing magical damage.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Recall Knowledge is stupidly vague as to what it actually gives you and so it widely varies how good it is from DM to DM. IMO it should either have a specific line in the monster description as to what you get, or work similar to Battle Assessment where you can pick from a specific list.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
There's basically zero problems in Strength of Thousands with letting players use any archetype that gets access to arcane or primal casting, or letting characters whose class already gives them arcane or primal casting take whatever they want as their free archetype. Going outside of that to "any spellcasting archetype" is stretching it more and you might have to make some adjustments

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Chevy Slyme posted:

Dragons are getting moved from the old color scheme to a new set of families based on magical traditions. Other OGL monsters and magic items getting changed or removed (RIP Owlbear).

Ah, finally it is time for the bearowl (head of a bear, body of an owl) to shine!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Pathfinder 2E was designed for players who have at least some level of interest in tactical combat, if the players just want something simpler its probably better to choose a different system.

Also level 1, like basically every d20 based system, is bad.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Are elite encounters kind of a grind at low levels?

Our group of 4 level 1 PCs had a fight last night that the DM told us was elite after it took ages to resolve. One of the enemies had an AC of 21 which caused most of our attacks to miss. We flanked it or used feint on most turns to make it flat footed but the 19 AC was still tough to make.

Just wondering if our tactics weren't optimal or if this was expected. We did have a monk who joined us for the first time and mostly attacked with a cross bow. I don't know the class well enough to know if he's not using all his tools or not. The others (thaum, magus, and investigator) have been pretty good in using our abilities IMO.

Higher level enemies are always a pain to hit, but especially so at first level when you have fewer options, you really want to try to debuff it via spells/tripping/demoralizing/flanking/etc

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Is there a good resource I could point the monk towards? He didn't use flurry of blows, ki spells or any stances. I don't know how he built his character, but I'm sure he should have used some of those.

The Ranger or Gunslinger class, crossbows are bad without class/feat support and monk is bringing nothing to it. If he really wants to be a ranged weapon monk, point him towards using a bow with Monastic Archer Stance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

super sweet best pal posted:

How's 2e Gunslinger play? Yee haw or yee nah?

Gunslinger is basically "Fighter, but solely devoted to making guns(/crossbows) viable". It's pretty good