Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Is shaman/spirit shaman available in some form in 2e?

Just curious, we're going with the premades for our first intro box game, but after that I was looking at options for a spiritual but fighty lizardfolk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Some great ideas, thanks, I'll look into those.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

How do the pocket editions compare to the full hardcovers? Less art, smaller print? Do they just stick to the rules references and leave other stuff out?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks, I've got the 2e core pocket edition coming since the hardcover is nowhere to be found. My eyes are pretty terrible, but I'll see how it compares to reading the PDFs on my old kindle fire.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I may be starting Pf2e with a group this weekend. The plan is to see who shows up (4-7 players plus a DM), customize our characters a bit, and learn the VTT. The DM and half the players are D&D veterans moving over, the rest of us just play a lot of board games and CRPGs. Us newbies are locked into the iconics and core stuff for the first adventure, though it looks like there will be some customization.

One of the other newbies and I have been collecting RPG books to skim and admire art for decades so we took this opportunity to buy the humble bundle and a few PDFs. I still like the spiritual but fighty lizardfolk character I asked about earlier, but we've been bouncing other character ideas off each other all week. I have two I kind of like that are way too far out there for a beginner campaign but I'm curious if they would work and what veteran players think.

A blue dragon ancestry kobold storm druid who is afraid of his own power but needs to master it. Maybe his tribe was wiped out by a storm he thinks he caused, so he sought out a druid mentor. Or maybe he heard of some version of the butterfly effect and thinks he is causing a blizzard in a desert somewhere every time he uses wind gust to deflect a bandit's arrow. He'll stop at nothing to improve his control and learn what he can about nature, but he's deathly afraid of loud noises and large furry beasties. He's happy to provide fire support, maybe some healing, and plenty of bright and breezy sunny days to his adventuring party in exchange for keeping him safe. What? It's raining? There must be a more powerful druid lurking nearby and working against the party. With a little more experience and treasure he will surely soon outmatch him.

A skeleton summoner. Now I haven't read any of the book of the dead or even any necromancy spells in the core book yet, and I've only superficially glanced at the summoner class. But I like the idea that a necromancer seeking revenge tried burning a stolen relic to raise the skeleton of an ancient warrior hero but somehow got a [insert civilian peasant job here] skeleton instead. He was so apoplectic at his failure that he blasphemed at Callistria and died of a heart attack at the same time. As a curse his spirit was bound to the skeleton as a rage eidolon. The skeleton might just want to get back to eternal rest or [insert normal peasant job here], but he has to help the eidolon get his revenge if he wants to be rid of him. Meanwhile the eidolon finds he can't move far and is oddly dependent on his "summoner" to do anything, let alone get his revenge. This started as a joke "In Pathfinder, skeletons summon you" and I'm sure I'm borrowing the basic idea from a dozen fantasy stories/games/animes.

The GM specifically made fun of some of the more outlandish uncommon and rare ancestry options in pathbuilder so I'm not hopeful about playing either with this group but they are fun to think about. Azarketi and Fleshwarp are a bit less unintuitive than skeleton, lizardfolk and kobold so you never know. I'll be happy keeping things simple while I learn to play and check out his setting and the group's playstyle.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the foundry video, that is what we'll be using. He gave two of us a test drive and showed us around last week and let us pick from the four starter iconics. It might turn out to be too many players, one friend is really interested but won't mind dropping out if all 7 potential players turn up. The GM was thinking he could handle 4-6.

His D&D veterans get to make their own characters since he trusts them to know him and the campaign style so I'm curious what they turn up with and how many join in.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

We just finished playing our first session of the beginner box on foundry VTT. Almost every time the GM did something with a monster (roll a save or take damage, but not roll attacks or deal damage), the UI elements (but not the battle map or any panels open) shifted up offscreen. Sometimes a little bit, sometimes only the bottom bits are sticking out. No notable way to drag them back down. F5 fixed it with a short reload but it happened for all of us quite a bit, in several browsers. The GM is going to update everything before our next session and see if he can figure it out.

It went pretty well. We had 5 players turn up so we had the 4 recommended iconics and the fifth player brought over her D&D barbarian from the campaign they'd just finished, reset to level 1 with pf2e equivalents. We did up to a locked storeroom then called it a night. The first tutorial fight tore up our front liners before we cleared them out, then we took a bit of downtime, then went on to clean house on the rest we did. So the GM is going to up the difficulty for the rest of the run. One encounter died instantly to a crit from the fighter. The GM also rolled about 6 critical fails over the course of the night so that was a bit frustrating for him too. Everyone scattered when we called it since it was so late so I'll be interested to see what everyone else thought tomorrow.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah the GM sent us a link and we were in test fighting goblins in minutes. No trouble aside from that glitch and things being a bit cluttered for those of us without second monitors. It's so well done it has a few of us thinking of running out own games sometime.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

For someone who grew up on Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance books, and is annoyed that they stopped making them, are any of the Pathfinder Tales novels notably good or bad?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Our group (2 5E vets including DM, 4 prolific CRPG players) finished the beginner box. We played the iconic premades and it was a strange but fun experience. I wanted to throw out the dice but we were playing on foundry. We had a lot of misses on 1s. My rogue got downed two times to crits from kobolds, and went down to 3 hp from full on a third attack later on, and that was with the GM being very fair about targeting different people. I'm pretty sure 5 attacks were aimed at me through the whole experience and 3 of them crit with the other 2 being misses. It lead to our warrior and cleric being very gunshy themselves and raising their shields at most opportunities.

Now we're rolling up our own characters for Gatewalkers. It strongly recommends Investigator, Psychic and Thaumaturge. Is that just for flavor? Our 5-person group looks like it will be champion, barbarian, melee ranger, wizard plus me so I was aiming at a cleric or druid. The recommendations are odd because they also strongly recommend elves and half elves then warn you that you will have to disguise yourself to go somewhere needed because elves aren't welcome there.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I have my first session playing Gatewalkers this week. It may be interesting how our experiences compare to each other.

I'll remember to post here once we get rolling. Do you know what your group's party makeup will be? Just curious.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

It's going to be a Thaumaturge (me), two Investigators, a Magus, and a Monk but they won't be able to make the first few sessions.

On paper it feels a little sketchy. I'm planning on taking the Champion archetype so hopefully that will help with tanking some stuff. One of the Investigators is taking the healer subclass, I'm hoping that can keep everyone up.

May the dice be in your favor. We've got a likely champion, likely wizard, definite deep gnome animalistic bearbarian, and possibly an elf melee ranger with the thievery skills and kit, plus whatever I roll in with. I hope to know more this weekend. We don't have great communication with the GM yet to coordinate as much as we'd like.

I've got my usual-for-any-game indecision about who to play. I have a dwarf thaumaturge who thinks his implement is way more powerful than it actually is (an old in-joke), a similarly overconfident blue dragon kobold storm druid, a dour dwarf warrior muse bard who was a drummer and field medic in an army somewhere, a lizardfolk warpriest of Gozreh who was my first choice but I'm saving him for a different adventure, and a solemn elf who likes exploring, stargazing, and helping travelers who is likely a cleric of Desna.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I have my first session playing Gatewalkers this week. It may be interesting how our experiences compare to each other.

It's going to be a Thaumaturge (me), two Investigators, a Magus, and a Monk but they won't be able to make the first few sessions.

On paper it feels a little sketchy. I'm planning on taking the Champion archetype so hopefully that will help with tanking some stuff. One of the Investigators is taking the healer subclass, I'm hoping that can keep everyone up.

No specific adventure spoilers, please, but how did it go if you played? We had our sort of session 0 last night where the GM opened up Foundry and helped us import our characters. We ended up each taking one of the deviant backgrounds. No free archtype but the GM gave us two starting ancestry feats instead of one.

We're going in with:
half-orc liberator of Apsu, shield tank with a scorpion whip, total power background
half-elf psychic, telekinetic with imaginary weapons and thievery skill, sense of belonging background
elf precision ranger, gambler with thievery skill, wishes for riches background
elf cosmos oracle, lost loved one background
deep gnome animalistic totem bearbarian, wanderlust background

Worrying a bit about heals. The barbarian has medicine skill and excelled at it during the beginner box. Liberator has lay hands, my oracle has 2 first level spell slots for heal/bless I'll save for emergency heals. Hopefully we don't get crit as much as we did in the beginner box, those dice were swingy as hell.

We're going to start the adventure proper tomorrow night if all goes well.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

We didn't finish the first chapter, so I'll see what the next session brings.

We had our start last night and after some roleplaying and info gathering we had a classic "good intentions escalate to murder-hoboing".

I don't think I need to do this but just in case, vague spoilers for how we resolved the very first Gatewalkers "quest" our contact gave us:

We had a plan for a stealth mission then our psychic powered up his glowing mage armor in full view which aroused suspicion. Our champion immediately walked right up to their faces to distract them and screwed up his diplomacy check, then I flubbed my deception check trying to bail him out, and we rolled initiative. We were mostly trying to just delay them while our psychic zoomed past them and did the mission. A highlight was the ranger at one of the fruit stands chucking apples at them with improvised weapon, occasionally taking a bite. I also like when the champion disarmed one of them and I yoinked his fallen weapon away with my ghostly grasp only for him to yell "Give me back my staff!" and start blasting at me with spells.

Then our originally planned distraction came back around when she heard the commotion and gleefully decapitated one of the guards with some high damage rolls, taking his bloody helmet as a trophy (as soon as the DM showed us the picture earlier she said "I'm getting me one of those."). The other got crit by a trip attempt and died to the falling damage. We then realized we'd killed both of them in broad daylight with an audience and made ourselves scarce with our psychic having finished the mission.

Then our next mission was to walk right into their HQ where everyone was on edge mourning the deceased and looking for their murderers. Thankfully we apparently rolled well both overtly and with some hidden rolls, and had convinced the barbarian to hide her new helmet away. We were back on track after that and called it a night after the next encounter.

I'm terrible at ad lib and today I thought of a few good character moments I could have done. That should get better with experience too and I should write them down for later use.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

It's cool if by the time this kickstarted game hits PCs someone somewhere is almost done with a good 2e adventure pack owlcat/bg3/solasta style. tough ask these days but they should know with Owlcat diverting and not coming back soon if at all that they are leaving money in the table.

I'm disappointed Rise of the Runelords and Curse of the Crimson Throne are the only APs that seem to have gotten pocket compilations. Both are fascinating to flip through and I'd love a bigger collection.

Edit: for anyone that played RotR, whether when it was new or recently, how long did it take? So many cool set pieces.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Are elite encounters kind of a grind at low levels?

Our group of 4 level 1 PCs had a fight last night that the DM told us was elite after it took ages to resolve. One of the enemies had an AC of 21 which caused most of our attacks to miss. We flanked it or used feint on most turns to make it flat footed but the 19 AC was still tough to make.

Just wondering if our tactics weren't optimal or if this was expected. We did have a monk who joined us for the first time and mostly attacked with a cross bow. I don't know the class well enough to know if he's not using all his tools or not. The others (thaum, magus, and investigator) have been pretty good in using our abilities IMO.

I think we had the same fight and issue a few weeks ago. Or a similar one. Our precision ranger did the bulk of the damage but we just kept rolling badly and didn't have any autohit damage like magic missile. The GM had the enemy just leave after we'd finally gotten it low but whiffed an entire round of combat. It's a running joke now that it is the campaign end boss and will be back for revenge.

In case you're behind us in the same adventure, to avoid spoilers, I'll say without details that the big fight of the chapter was over fast in comparison as we had some insane rolls that worked out narratively.

Level one can be swingy for sure.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 25, 2023

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The fight I was describing was the shifting fox and an oak steward . A lot of our other fights even with three PCs went pretty smoothly, so it just seems like the higher level enemy is tough to deal with at lvl 1.

Yeah that was the one. We defeated that second opponent almost instantly then the fight just went on and on and on with the first one.

We're running 5 PCs, I'm not sure if our GM has adjusted the difficulty any. Our ranger would hit once every other round or so. Our barbarian, psychic and my oracle missed almost every round though I did fling around guidances to the point I got chewed out by a friend for not saving any for the upcoming boss fight. Our champion tried every round to trip it and resorted to crit fishing but missed every time.

I could have used my spray of stars on it but thats not much damage especially assuming it probably has a great reflex save. I would have hit a PC or two in the cone, and the curse kicking in would have weakened my other attacks. I probably would have gone ahead and done it anyway had I gotten a final round before it fled.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

We ran into another enemy in Gatewalkers that gave us trouble, this time with relatively high melee resistance and reflexes. Our GM's sister joined the party as an anadi rogue and he got to traumatize her with the enemy's special attack so he was thrilled. Our psychic bailed us out by getting a near max damage crit with his amped imaginary 2h hammer. We're up to six players now so I'm curious if he's going to mess with the difficulty much. Fights so far are either over in 1.5 rounds or they go on forever with everyone whiffing and getting frustrated. We're all still learning and having fun though I think.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Our Gatewalkers army:
Elf cosmos oracle
Elf precision ranger
Half elf psychic
Half orc champion
Deep gnome barbarian
Anadi(?) rogue - joined late, playing it secret

bagrada fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 22, 2023

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

We finished Gatewalkers part 1 a bit ago tonight. The AP was fun and interesting, but a bit goofier than I expected, or maybe that was just how the GM played it and did the characters. I think we all had fun, lots of annoying whiffs, a handful of clutch crits. We did have 6 players and he didn't rebalance it at all and still we struggled through a few encounters. Nobody ever got downed though we were often sitting at 3-5 hp and had plenty of medicine fests to heal each other up. Reach spell + chill touch turned out to be my cosmos oracle's best spell besides bless and magic weapon. Did a few emergency heals, and got each of my weak focus spells to do something neat once or twice.

We're actually thinking of taking a break before starting part 2 to mess around with some 5e. The GM is more used to it, and everyone is hyped from Baldurs Gate 3. Everyone's kind of waiting for the pathfinder revamp coming relatively soon as well. The GM mentioned he was tired of seeing everyone do the exact same things with their character all the time. The champion was always attack grapple raise shield liberating step, the ranger hunt prey shoot shoot sometimes gravity weapon, and so on. We all did recall knowledge and demoralize from time to time. Our special powers from the adventure pack got little use, I think we each used it like twice aside from the barbarian who missed titan swing 4 times tonight (which sucks with it costing 2 actions). I used my ghostly grasp twice, once to steal a disarmed weapon (guy turned out to be a mage and just blasted us) and once to recover some loot from a pile of dung.

In retrospect knowing my GM and players better now, I wish I'd gone with the wacky kobold druid instead of the dour elf cosmos oracle but I'll look forward to finishing out his story if we keep going. We'll find out in two weeks, as people recover from a very late night (with some coming tipsy from a renn faire) and decide what their vote is.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 20, 2023

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

How balanced is the game around getting striking runes and is it level 4 or 5 they should come around? We just made 4 and are kind of getting our butts kicked in combat by anything high AC. Despite having 6 characters, we're very low damage outside of some swingy crit outliers like our psyker's amped up heightened imaginary weapon swings that miss half the time. We only have one striking rune for the party and its on a crossbow that has to reload every shot.

I also wanted to ask does the Aid action get much use generally? I'm going to start opening fights with Bless as it feels like we need it. We flank for each other, recall knowledge to try to get weaknesses, our tank grapples and trips. But enemies are also breaking out of the grapples and repositioning out of flanks to flank us. We've fought a few high AC high reflex enemies that just clown on us as we whiff up a storm. Last time our GM started doubling our damage every hit just so we could wrap it up as it was past midnight. I was thinking of trying Aid to help attacks, especially when I'm using an action to maintain bless and don't have much else to do without being in melee range.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Shield tank tip from our champion - obtain a backup shield when you can, and hopefully you or someone in your party can repair broken shields in the field. He's had his shatter on him five times between the beginner box and Gatewalkers 1.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Got a couple more weeks to figure out my Gatewalkers character and I'm largely moving to looking at martials with intelligence and/or skill monkey ability.

This is good advice overall not just for Gatewalkers but make sure your party has a plan for high AC high reflex enemies on the whole, and that individual party members aren't all in on one damage type. Those are the two biggest problems we've run into.

I'm going to ask our GM for automatic progression (or more loot) this Saturday as we resume the beginning of book 2 because we're hurting a bit in fights at level 4.

I don't remember which CRPG had this as a key mechanic but are blunt and broadhead slashing arrows a thing in 2e to go alongside the piercing ones?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

gurragadon posted:

You should ask you GM to roll in private. It seems like they want to tell a story and the dice aren't letting them. Level 1 combat is super swingy so if you roll in the open people are probably going to go down and with no combat healing that can snowball real fast.

I'm sure there are settings to tweak but sometimes our GM rolls in private and we all laugh when Foundry plays the "Critical hit!" sound effect. Gee I wonder what you rolled.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

If a human adventurer dies and gets raised as a skeleton adventurer, then dies heroically and is reincarnated as a duskwalker, do they come back as a human(duskwalker) or a skeleton(duskwalker)?

Don't mind me I'm just trying to make the most complicated annoyingly pointless backstory for my Abom Vaults character just to amuse and annoy my group.

Oh poo poo maybe a duskwalker summoner whose undead eidolon is their original body.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the replies, I'd missed the "can't become undead" bit which is admittedly pretty clear. I was distracted by the rules saying you come back as the same ancestry as your original form but might be from a dragon and have horns and scales.

Back to the drawing board for my thaum. We're 3.5 manning Abom Vaults in the new year with a first timer GM wanting the practice, my sister trying a TTRPG for the first time and playing a human metal/fire kineticist, my buddy playing "idk a barbarian if this game has those" despite playing Gatewalkers alongside one for 6 months earlier this year, and me running a duskwalker lantern thaumaturge alongside a mostly autopilot dwarf cleric of magrim since we're down a player. Should be good times.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Our GM found Gatewalkers too railroady from setpiece to setpiece, and our group constantly got our asses kicked by random encounters while destroying the bosses. We had a few highs but a lot of lows. At the beginning of book 2 he ended up switching us over to a new 5e campaign instead where he feels more comfortable freestyling.

A subset of that group is about to start Abom Vaults on an alternate night so I'm curious how that will compare and how confused we are going to get switching between game systems weekly.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Human gunslinger sentinel archtype with full heavy armor escorting a goblin child.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Reading about this got me thinking about playing a fighter who is a depowered warrior priest whose god died. I know that concept has been a character in fiction more than once but can't remember where offhand.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

the game is built for the party to be at full hp when starting a fight, it is a design decision of PF2

This comes up a lot, and we've talked to both of our GMs about it, but it doesn't seem easy or even reasonable to do that, at least during the first few levels. Treat Wounds takes 10 minutes with an hour (50 minute) lockout. Healing spells are fairly limited especially if you save them for emergencies or aren't a cleric and want to use other level 1 spells like Bless or Magic Weapon. Stuff like Lay Hands and thaumaturge chalice can heal every 10 minutes but are generally smaller numbers than the others. Then there's all the healing potions you can afford to chug. Are we missing anything?

Our first GM HATED the treat wounds spam but we got our asses kicked in almost every combat and he ended up switching the campaign to 5e after we turned around and went right back to camp to recover after a random encounter in Gatewalkers. Our second GM running Abom Vaults agreed you should be healed up for every fight and was a player first hand in that GW campaign, but he too got frustrated that it took us 3 game hours of failing treat wounds rolls to get ourselves situated after a tough miniboss fight we only survived thanks to some crits while he was trying to get us to rush straight to the graveyard for an emergency. He ended up letting us heal up but said all the friendly npcs were dead when we got there. It makes us wonder if we're missing something.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

atelier morgan posted:

at level 1-2 you're not really, treat wounds can just gently caress up sometimes

once you're level 3 somebody can hit DC 15 with assurance

once you've got Continual Recovery and Ward Medic on your healer you're patched up from even catastrophic fights in 20 minutes at worst

Continual recovery is definitely something we missed and I will grab that ASAP. We did have one person pick up Ward Medic at level 4 in Gatewalkers but that was just before we tabled the campaign.

The three hours game time was because I rolled 5 then 6 on the first two treat wounds checks.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The final Godsrain safe reveal is up. They're going to do a livestream next Tuesday where they reveal which god is getting the axe, as well as their slate of releases for War of the Immortals.

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6t129?The-Godsrain-Prophecies-Part-Ten

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

The official Paizo poll is up for which god will die.

I voted Gorum, just because I think he is the most boring god of the remaining candidates. He doesn't seem to have any particularly interesting lore about him, so I think there is a lot of opportunity to replace him with someone more unique to the setting.

I voted the same, saying he's too one note and replacable, and the god of war dying to kick off a war of the immortals could be fun. I'm hoping its not Gozreh or Sarenrae.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

By the way, since I missed that part of the stream, did they specify how Gorum was going to die? My specific idea from earlier in this thread was that Mahja Firehair would kill him.

Surprisingly, peacefully in his bed surrounded by his grandchildren and barbarian tribes.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Our 8 person group would love a commander/warlord, too bad that group has gone over to 5e.

My sister was thinking of running a Bloodborne themed campaign once we finish Abom Vaults. A dreamlike setting of madness and monsters. I think that might mesh somewhat with our GM's thoughts about running a "party vs undead apocalypse", just with a lovecraftian tinge, but I haven't played Bloodborne myself.

Isn't there a pathfinder country ran by a lich that might have that thematic setting? I think Knights of Lastwall covers some of it, I'll have to check that out. Are there any adventures set there? Blood Lords maybe?

I sent the GM my copy of The Lost Citadel with survivors holding up in an old dwarf hold against a tide of undead, but thats a third party 5e setting.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

In 5e Phandelver I've got an owl familiar that does flybys to give advantage, but our DM shortcuts it since we have so many players and I will often intentionally move it to a side hallway away from the combat or just outside a dungeon to "watch our backs" so we don't have to worry about it for a busy fight. The advantage has helped us maybe 3 or 4 times. It got eaten by a dragon that snuck up on it once when it flew up over the trees to see what the roaring we kept hearing was, and it died three times to area of effect attacks. It's been fun roleplaying with it too but after seeing my experience our warlock chose not to go chain pact route despite wanting an imp familiar. When we started our Abom Vaults run in this game I considered one for my thaum but decided against it. I think that's been a good choice with the cramped rooms and halls.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

My thaumaturge will hit level 5 tonight assuming he survives and I'll be able to pick a second implement. I'm torn on amulet vs weapon. We're running Abomination Vaults. Party is my dwarf thaumaturge (lantern implement, frontliner with an axe), a cloistered cleric of Magrim, a walking arsenal orc fury barbarian, and a human fire/metal kineticist. Our GM complains we are shredding everything he throws at us, though a few fights have been very swingy, and we've had to run a few times. I'd planned on weapon this whole time as the best defense is a good offense but maybe the amulet will be better since we are fairly squishy. Both are minor benefits but I'm noticing that those really add up in pf2e and with my thaum in particular. Any experienced advice?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Good point on juggling handheld items. I'm already a little action starved on the first couple turns due to positioning and getting my exploit in. That said I suspect the amulet would be useful more often especially if I take it again as adept at level 7. I ran it by our GM and he confirmed he would enforce the item swapping. He also pointed out we have the most trouble with the minibosses who are mostly inclined to get in our face and stay there, using their high bonus numbers to overpower the MAP to pummel us constantly.

Weapon + amulet seems like a great combo for a melee thaum but the lantern has been pretty key helping us find secret doors without a rogue type. I also thought there'd be more traps but the one main trap room we found had the barbarian face tank them all by using his No Escape on a fleeing enemy.

I'll see what the rest of the group is taking and if anything inspires me to go either way as we play tonight. Like finding a magic weapon or amulet, or seeing which would have come in more useful as we finish out the level.

edit: I hadn't seen two replies yet and forgot swapping was a free action as part of using it. So that makes the choice a bit easier. Some food for thought, thanks for the responses.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Kineticist is pure damage so far but looking at her options. Barbarian does grappling but hasn't done much tripping or shoving.

Orc and the dwarves have darkvision. The human worked something out with the GM to use her flames as a light source torch when needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Word of advice, though: don't try to make any kind of Thaumaturge your party's only melee frontliner.

:rip:
:argh:

Yeah I've found that out a few times when the barbarian zigged after I zagged and I found myself surrounded. The elementalist has also been trying to draw some focus lately since it turns out she's pretty tough with the constitution focus and an armor buff.

Thanks again everyone for the input.