Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Does it have rules for all the companions? Or just some with others having a blurb? I am curious if they actually converted Kalikke and Kanerah to 2e since the Kineticist hasn't actually been finalized and only recently had a playtest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Kind of feeling that Homebrew urge again. Recently went back and started reading some threads discussing the 1e Shifter, and also some stuff about what people want for a 2e Shifter. Then looked up my old attempt at a 2e Shapeshifter, since I have done one for 3.5 and Pathfinder, and I think I did one for 5e as well, and felt like it was too simple still. My initial version was just giving it the Wild Druid Wild Shape at will but without temp hit points, though with the whole temp hit points from Rage thing it might be possible to give them temp hit points every so many rounds. And gave them the feats that improved Wild Shape and maybe some other similar feats. The problem is this barebone homebrew class basically had almost no class features other than Wild Shape and the Wild Claws part of Wild Morph at will, and basically no feat choice except the Wild Shape altering feats of the Druid.

So I am kind of feeling like going back and expanding it into more of an actual full class. Thinking of adding in Aspects, at will of course, to give a bit more modularity/customization. Thinking of making the Aspects Morph effects so they can stack on top of the Wild Shape where possible, and actually making some Aspects be level gated to add things like Flight or Swim to any form, or some elemental damage.

Looking back and I don't think I actually included when the different defense or attack proficiencies increased so I need to do that. I feel like I should maybe include subclass choices, kind of like Sorcerer Bloodline or Druid Order, to kind of give the 1e Shifter archetype options. Though I will have to think of how to do it for stuff that would normally come up with a higher level Druid Feat.

What little I have so far, mostly my old take on it, is here if anyone wants to see my initial attempt or watch any updates I end up making.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So it looks like Nonat1's put out a short, for him, video on the Kineticist. This time it was on the first level Impulse feats for Wood and Metal as those two elements weren't in the Kineticist playtest. Still probably most of a week or so until he does the full deep dive on the class, but at that point Subscribers should probably have their PDFs.

Here is the video if anyone wants to check it out.

While I was looking forward to a Fire Kineticist based off usually liking pyro builds and what I had heard about their junctions I am also really curious about a Conrasu Wood Element Kineticist.

Have a feat to create a tree. A feat to create an apple or nut that provides some healing that scales 1d4+5 every other level, would have expected 1d4+1 as that is the base amount. A feat to create medium armor and shield, metal has something similar but their shield is hardier but also shatters on a crit, that scales off your best armor proficiency. A 2 action overflow feat, so potentially usable every round, to deal 1d4 piercing and bleed damage in a cone, that scales both damage types by 1d4 every other level. So 10d4 piercing and 10d4 bleed at 19th level. With a Basic Reflex save. It sounds like a crit fail would probably also double the bleed damage.

EDIT: Oh. Uh I thought PDFs were going out on the 17th for Rage of Elements. But uh saw people on Reddit mentioning already having it, and I just checked my digital downloads and I guess I know what I am doing for the rest of the night.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 15, 2023

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I thought the 17th was when it was going to ship for the Subscription, and that the waves of PDFs would start then, but I may have been mistaken. Not going to complain about having it now instead of the 17th or later.

Might complain about not being able to immediately build one in Pathbuilder.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

the_steve posted:

If I'm looking at kineticist right, Weapon Specialization doesn't interact with Elemental Blast anymore?
I know the playtest had it counting as Unarmed for all intents and purposes, but it looks like now it's straight up d20 + Con modifier + Proficiency bonus +/- Anything else? , with the extra Con damage if you use 2 actions to use it instead of 1?

Sounds like I'll be saving a ton of money on weapon runes, at least, if I'm not reading that wrong.

There is a Gate Attenuator which works kind of like a magic weapon but for Impulse Attack Rolls. Its a higher level than a similar magic weapon, it effects attack rolls but not save DCs, and only goes up to +2, the third version of it is still +2 but also acts as a Con Apex Item. Between the Gate Attenuator and their Proficiency scaling they end up behind martials by -2 for a few levels, -1 behind for a few levels, about equivalent most levels, then by 19th level when they get Legendary proficiency they are +1 ahead of all but Fighters.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah Conrasu is my go to for Wood+Water Kineticist Healer idea. Though that 17th level feat that makes it so you don't become immune to your Sunlight Healing after using it also maxes the healing so 136 instead of 17d8. My plan for that build would be Wood and Water dual gate, get as many healing options as possible, grab Medic dedication if in a Free Archetype game, and build for that Sunlight Healing ability, I just wish it was usable on allies once every ten minutes instead of once per day.

My other Kineticist idea is mono Fire trying to be all up close and personal with the Fire Aura Junction and Thermal Nimbus, but I just don't know what Ancestry to go for that.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I thought about Goblin Burn It but unless they change the wording with the Remaster it doesn't actually work on Impulses.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Was going to say Battlezoo did that, also Dungeon ancestry.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I think someone was playing a Balrog newsreporter back then as well. Not sure if the original Monk was from back then as well or a little later.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Feeling like going back to my Pathfinder 2e Shapeshifter homebrew, here. Some changes I am thinking of making, or already made, is switching to Con for Key Ability and allowing for Legendary Unarmed eventually, trying to make Aspects for each of the Barbarian Animal Instincts and maybe some other animals, and making specific aspects for various Morphologies, as well as fleshing out Morphologies to cover most of the Shifter's archetypes.

At the very least I want Morphologies for Beast, Ooze, Swarm, Elemental and Dragon. Not sure if Plant should be separate or an option under Elemental now that Plant and Metal are Elements. Not sure if I want to try a Fey or Humanoid kind of option. Probably not going for a Rageshaper option since that is mostly just Giant Instinct Barbarian. Not sure if I want a specific Morphology for Monstrous Form kind of thing, or break them up into options for different Morphologies. Heck I might even just go through all the polymorph/wild shape spells and break down the battle forms into different Morphologies they should go for, but many of the current feats are the Druid feats that grant those forms to Wild Shape. Of course if I did go and break the forms down I could try and downscale them so they can be available at earlier levels somehow.

I do want to make it so the Aspects grant scaling benefits including natural attacks, I might make it so the natural attacks scale normally like with Battle Forms and can't take Handwraps, then again I need a way to get Potency runes on them for when not in a Battle Form. Maybe allow Handwraps but just specifically deny Striking Runes? Then again with a number of Aspects adding damage to certain types of natural weapons I might not want to allow any runes that add elemental damage or similar.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Good point. Could have a separate Plant Morphology, and then when Wood and Metal Elementals get revealed could add them to the Elemental Morphology.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A bunch of stuff in that article sounds interesting. Though I would rather be the swarm than calling forth a swarm, one of the many problems I had with the 5e Ranger subclass.

But we should be getting Mythic next year, or is it the following year? And hopefully it will have Mythic Archetypes that are similar in concept to the Mythic Paths of the Wrath of the Righteous CRPG so that we can hopefully become the Swarm.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
When is the Mythic book, with all the god death and two new classes actually coming out? Also did we ever get feedback on the playtests?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Did they talk about if they were going to playtest the Mythic rules? Or is that going to be all internal?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
When is the new mythic book with the god dying and the two new classes actually coming out?

Also do we know when the next playtest will come out?

For that matter isn't there a Starfinder 2e playtest scheduled? Do we know when that will show up?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well we got an answer to the question of when the next Playtest is coming out. April 29th. Guardian and Commander. A tank and someone that sounds suspiciously like a Warlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah while I like the concept of the Guardian, there are a number of Defenders from 4e that i really enjoyed, but the way they designed it seems pretty bad to me with one exception in Hampering Sweeps. It could definitely be fixed but I feel like Taunt needs to be closer to at least one of the 4e Defenders marking options. Which would involve doing something like 4e Fighter that marks any enemy they attack for a round or Warden and some of the others who use an Action (or possibly Minor in 4e) to mark all enemies in an area. Then with something beyond just the mark's penalty to attack allies as enforcement, like a Fighter who can use a Reaction to attack a marked enemy who tries to attack an ally, or a Swordmage that can Reaction to teleport to intercept an attack either by reducing the damage or making an attack against the marked enemy who tries to attack their allies.

There are a couple feats that feel like they should either be baked into the class or turned into Subclasses.

The actual choices for what happens with Taunt seem really bad. One lets you do a small amount of extra damage to a Taunted enemy who takes a hostile action that doesn't include you as a target. The bonus damage seems awfully small, but more importantly this only lasts until the end of your turn so will basically never happen unless you Taunt an enemy and they somehow take a hostile action on your Turn after you Taunted them and then you manage to make a Strike against them all in that same Turn. Your Turn ends the damage bonus goes away, so if they provoke a Reactive Strike on their turn after making a hostile action that doesn't include you it is already too late, and of course once your next Turn starts they are no longer Taunted anyway. Just making it End of Next Turn helps that to at least be usable.

The other option is a minimal, laughable even, amount of Resistance on a Critical hit from a Taunted enemy that decides to attack you. This only works on a Critical Hit, doesn't stack with any of your other Damage Resistance such as from the laughable Armor Specialization or from Intercept Strike, and while the resistance amount could be nice enough against regular attacks, maybe, it just isn't remotely enough to do anything to a Critical Hit.

And I know some might disagree with my take on Armor Specialization but the amount of resistance it provides is fairly small and only effects one type of damage. It might be useful for some but again it doesn't stack with any of the other resistance that the Guardian can have, especially Intercept Strike.

A lot of the class just feels like it is at odds with itself, a bunch of things that don't stack and step on each other's toes.