Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I know enough about 1E to know I would probably really like an inquisitor but I don't know if 2E's casting paradigm would allow it. Maybe as a bounded caster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

Okay, I'm tired of being told that I can't do cool poo poo as a Fighter (or I can but I can do it less per day than a Wizard), tired of being so held back as a Paladin, and tired of just being useless as a Ranger. And of being told "There's no place for a Half Orc in this system, we're replacing you with Gith" as a Half Orc. What can Pathfinder 2e offer me, given that my main interaction with 1e was the Dreamscarred Tome of Battle stuff.

You can do a lot of cool poo poo as a fighter (perhaps too much) and you are not useless as a ranger. Half orcs are also core.

Champions are also cool but you have to be okay with being focused on defense, though they are getting updated next year so who knows.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Scoss posted:

-Casters are refocused more on a control/utility and AoE damage niche rather than their DnD niche of becoming the best at everything. Combat in general has more of a philosophy of teamwork and setting up your allies for success rather than individual superstars, so you don't generally hear about martial characters feeling like cheerleaders for the Wizard.

You instead hear about caster characters feeling like cheerleaders for the Fighter, which is at least novel.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, casters aren't weak, it's just a mindset adjustment (that the game exacerbates, really, but that's beside the point.)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Roadie posted:

I would bet that's at least in part because the non-5e newbies are coming from the context of MMOs (either directly, or via pop culture osmosis), so it's obvious to them that spellcasters are supposed to do buffs/debuffs and handle the adds.

Eh? The FFXIV support classes are all ranged martials and the WoW casters feature two pure DPS classes. At most you have the healers, but that leads to healbot clerics, no people instinctively knowing that wizards are there to buff/debuff.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To counterpoint ki blast is good because you can Kamehameha.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Isn't the point of a DM screen so no one can tell if you're fudging rolls?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Warpriest buffs and cool witch stuff makes me happy.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I feel that all this proves is that Pathfinder marketing itself as 'DnD but different' was a mistake in the first place.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

No one is asking about my pet bad archetype. I still want to know if elementalist is getting wood and metal spells in Rage of Elements.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Specialization in schools was the only real good part of them and that wasn't really an option in this system so who cares.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

Honestly pretty tempting considering my character has very low AC and not enough STR to get a champion of Urgathoa dedication. Thanks for the recommendation!

I've strayed away from looking at anything beyond Uncommon for archetypes because I feel like they're very campaign specific, but i'll definitely take a look at it.

Rare stuff is generally 'can you get your DM to agree to it', just like uncommon. They're just weirder.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Russad posted:

The group I'm a player in is going to be starting Abomination Vaults soon. Looks like I'm going to be the cleric, and I was wondering if there was a good resource or if y'all have any advice for build options. The GM has said he's fine with the Free Archetype rule. I'm not super concerned about min-maxing, but there are a lot of options and I just don't want to be completely useless.

I'm still working on the character concept, but I spoke to the GM and am going to plan to move forward as "3 Kobolds in a Trenchcoat". Functionally I'm just rolling a kobold, it's just more for RP opportunities. They think they're definitely passing as a human, going to try to reflavor my spells for things like heal just being one of the kobolds running over and tossing a bandage on someone, etc.

I took a look at the links to Zenith in the OP and the cleric ones all seem a bit dated (though the Gentleman's Guide to Faith does seem to do some analysis of archetypes, so that should be helpful). Just from messing around in Pathbuilder I was thinking a Kobold Cleric with the Field Medic Background. Spellscale Kobold heritage, with the Kobold Breath ancestry feat. I played Kyra in the beginner box, and was going to stick with Warpriest, but I'm not married to that. I hadn't decided on a free archetype yet and was leaning toward healing hands, recognize spell, and armor proficiency for heavy armor (though I don't love the speed penalty) for my feats through level 3.

Mostly I just get overwhelmed looking at all of my options and wanted to solicit some advice. Like I said, I'm not worried about min-maxing, I just don't want to make myself completely useless.

As a cleric, you have an easy way to not be useless: Prepare heal in all your spell slots and don't do anything else. I'm only barely joking, honestly, heal is a very good spell.

Other fun things to do is demoralize/Bon Mot (you should probably have CHA at 16 for more heal slots so that'd be nice). For spells, heroism, fear, magic weapon until your martial start to get striking runes. If you like to buff and debuff the cleric is great at those.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The +6 is based from your stat (dex), as well as your proficiency bonus, which, at level 1, would be 3 total. Proficiency is your level (1) plus a certain number depending on your proficiency rank (Alchemists start at trained for bombs, which is +2).

Therefore, 3 from dex, 3 from proficiency equals six.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You still won't be able to recover all your focus points with a single 10 minute refocus without a feat, you'll just be able to recover more than one in between encounters without those feats.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Casters are not bad but I do think there's a laundry list of reasons they are unsatisfying for a lot of players (especially people used to casters from other systems). They've mostly gotten brought up already, though, so I will just bring up encounter design. Lots of DMs will want the big final battle to be a singular boss monster and that is when casters are at their weakest, so the fight that is most likely to stick in a player's head is also a fight which casters are not suited for.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ah, yes, my favorite Pathfinder 2e discussion. Critical Role.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My current AoA group is pretty normal; 3 humans (though one is functionally a dwarf in all but name), 1 halfling, 1 elf, and a goblin. Only real weird thing is the gnoll.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, low levels in this game are deadly. Dying in a single crit is not uncommon.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's also unrealistic to not have a one handed reach spear, and yet.

Game balance is weird sometimes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Evilgm posted:

I bring you tidings of great joy- Breaching Pike. Absolutely agree it's odd how long it took them to add it.

Weird as hell that it is uncommon and specifically hobgoblin, but okay, I'll take it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kineticist is cool and good and I have theorycrafted 4 already and am excited to build more. Haven't played one yet but I will soon.

Kineticist dedication, meanwhile, seems...not great in a non-FA game. If you take it you're basically dedicating at least 5 class feats to keep your elemental blast up to par and you still never get higher than expert. Elemental barbarian seems fine but it's big gimmick is being able to pair with kineticist for a ranged option which is nice but I'm not sure if 6 feats is worth having an expert-level ranged option.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bards are casters. Ask him if he thinks a caster without good dex should be in melee. If not, politely inform him they shouldn't be. Probably via murder.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If it is any of the ray I am going to be mildly annoyed.

If it is Calistria I am going to be very annoyed.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To be fair, that's mostly because Cooperative Nature and One For All are absolutely insane when combined (or individually honestly). Most swashbuckler aren't gonna do stuff like that unless they have that combo.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Clerical Terrors posted:

Also Torag's son Trudd is right there to take over for him.

I still maintain that the actual death will be us, the players though.

I do not think Paizo will kill off their customers.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My primary complaint I've heard about Alkenstar (having not played it myself) is that it throws a lot of encounters at you and therefore spellcasters might feel like they are being spread too thin. So I second the 'just have everyone play the recommended classes'.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

S.J. posted:

Oh hey, another silly question: Has Paizo said anything about remastering non-core classes like Magus, etc?

They're not going to, at least not now. There's some errata out for the stuff that no longer makes sense and that is about it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wizards (at least the good subclasses) get so many top rank spells that I, a sorcerer, wish I had.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

More War-like Warpriest! Warlord and secular tank! Not a god I care about dying!

A good stream.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Also between Divine Mysteries and War of the Immortals we're getting at least 7 class archetypes, which is more than I think we've had in the game since launch. Good, I've always thought they were an underused design space.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

By the way, since I missed that part of the stream, did they specify how Gorum was going to die? My specific idea from earlier in this thread was that Mahja Firehair would kill him.

They very specifically left that a mystery for the book.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Also as long as initiative is tied to WIS people will want WIS.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Clerical Terrors posted:

The one thing I will say is it does make a lot of single-target nukes feel like gambles you can't have too much of an influence on. It's probably a perception issue but it feels like the game's means to lower defenses are geared more towards aiding martials than spellcasters, or at least it feels like I have to do a lot more setup to help my spellcaster buddy blast better than I have to do to make our martials hit more.

I think it's mostly that it's just easier to inflict off-guard than it is to inflict any of the fort/reflex/will lowering conditions. Frightened and sickened work on both, but I think think the only way to lower reflex is an ancestry or rogue feat, and Bon Mot requires charisma, which is more of a caster thing unless you have a thaumaturge in the party.

KPC_Mammon posted:

My biggest want from the remaster was either cutting the bad spells entirely or rebalancing them so that there would be fewer trap options. I don't think they went far enough. The difference in effectiveness between a spellcaster who picks bad spells and one who picks the good ones is far greater than the difference between being a fighter and one of the C-tier martials. The current deluge of garbage wouldn't even be so bad if it was properly labeled as utility that you shouldn't build your character around, but instead use to fill your less important lower rank spell slots.

I definitely feel that spells are the least balanced part of this system bar maybe skill feats.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

We can get 10 offensive martials and everyone thinks that's fine, we get a second defensive martial and everyone immediately declares it to just be champion again.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

sugar free jazz posted:

then make it more different from a champion

They have basically nothing in common with a champion!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I agree that taunt should not have the penalty and intercept could probably do with a range increase but I think guardian focusing on active defense with taunt and making themself tankier would be significantly different than the champion's reactions.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Once you hit level 2, you make a saving throw every single day. That is what the (1 day) at the end of the stage 2 effect means. You can make the save, but that just means that it goes to the 'carrier with no ill effects' stage, which has a one minute timer; you're going to fail that eventually. Yes, the stupefied 2 lasts all day because of the disease. Yes, you use the DC 26 number to indicate the target number for a counteract roll., and yes it's basically the same as a spell attack roll. Once the curse is lifted, 2 successful saving throws in a row (or one critical success on a saving throw) will get rid of the disease, as succeeding on a stage 1 (or crit succeeding on a stage 2) gets rid of a disease. The stupefied 2 will go away whenever the target is no longer in stage 2.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 1, 2024

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

GM core and Player Core are the Core Books, and all you need to run it, yes. The bestiary is called Monster Core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am very excited for Howl of the Wild. Are the Witch patrons in there? I've been told there's one that is fungus themed.