Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CottonWolf posted:

Legendary Thief is a fun feat, but I really wish there was a follow up that let you steal literally impossible things. I want to steal hope from my enemies, or the memory of seeing me.

I am reminded of the Disgaea games letting you steal stats from your enemies. "What big muscles you have. Yoink!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I am a little confused about Giant Instinct barbarians and want to make sure I am not missing anything.

When they change size, does that only increase their reach or does that also increase the size of their weapon? If it does, and you already have a Large weapon, does it become Huge? What about if you size change to Huge?

Since you can't increase your die past d12, it seems like using something like a large greataxe is taking a penality for no or lesser benefit (apart from the class specific damage bonus of course) so you'd be better served by taking something that does a d8 or d10 or can be used in one hand and then bigging it up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

Larger weapons don't do any additional damage naturally. Giant instinct barbarians get bonus damage for wielding a larger weapon than normal when they are raging, and become clumsy 1. When you aren't raging you're still clumsy 1 and do no additional damage. You can increase your size with giant stature, and then titan stature. This just adds reach and changes your token size, and can only be used when raging. It also makes you clumsy 1, but you're already clumsy 1 from the oversized weapon and they don't stack.

ETA: This is all PF2E, weapons do different damage based on size in 1E, but I'm not super familiar with the rules beyond that.

Oh I see! I was misunderstanding the section of weapons about "when an effect calls for you to increase your die size" as meaning when you increase the size of the weapon you increase the weapon die size to go with it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I recently discovered two things: The Thaumaturge and a local pagan market. My wife and I went there and I bought a bunch of "spells" in the form of little jars of flower petals, salt, and paper and other odds and ends like crystals and adorable handknit hats that looked charming, in part because I thought they would be good thaumaturge props (and also it was fun to support my local pagans).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah I was about to link the Humble Bundle because I just found out about it and it's basically the sequel to the last bundle they did and has a lot of stuff I wanted to look at, including Abomination vaults and the Beginner Box. https://www.humblebundle.com/books/so-you-wanna-try-out-pathfinder-paizo-books

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Kingmaker or Age of Ashes are the APs I'm interested in running (Kingmaker is what I'm learning towards, but the game I'm about to start running might segue into Age of Ashes easier). How are you liking it so far?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My understanding for crafting items is that 4 days is the baseline (and you pay half the price), and then you decide if you want the item finished now (you pay the rest of the full price) or you can basically make a downtime "do this for a living" check to take extra days to reduce the cost to as low as nothing else. So if you know you've got multiple weeks before your next adventure, you can handwave it as "you take the time you need to do it for half price" if all the rolling doesn't interest you and your table.

Crafting lets you say "we got magic items at home." And there's that trash goblin feat that lets you substitute garbage to reduce the number of days it takes to reduce the cost, in exchange for... reducing the value and making it look like trash, which is just funny.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 5, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Serf posted:

The Battlezoo Bestiary is a 3rd party product that has a rule system that replaces crafting and loot entirely with a way to turn dead monsters into customized gear. It's pretty dope and it has options for fully replacing money/loot or just partially for some items. I recommend it highly at least as something to look into.

Quoting this so I can look into it later.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

Yeah, but you'd also have to have the formula, so by the time you buy that if you're only making 1 you aren't even saving 50%. It really is useless, not as useless as crafting barrels which I'm pretty sure would earn you nothing, but I've had multiple characters attempt to focus on crafting in campaigns with relatively significant downtime and basically get nothing out of it if you run it RAW. Aside from the ability to repair the champion's shield in 6 seconds or whatever, which is handy, but you can definitely ignore all the actual feats for making items.

Basically it takes about 3 months to save 50% off an on level item if you succeed on 100% of your checks. For example, an armor potency rune is 160 gold, at level 5 you shave off 1 gp/day as an expert crafter, it costs 8gp for the formula, so at minimum you have to work 4(plus 4 days per failure on your check)+8 days to even break even over just buying it, then every day after that you save yourself 1gp, to a maximum of 82gp after 90 days. I guess if you crit succeeded you could do it twice as fast, but on a DC20 at level 5 with maximum crafting you'd need a natural 16 or better on your 1 roll. Of course if you crit fail your check you cost yourself 8 gold, then it's really taking a while to break even.

Treasure vault is supposed to have updated crafting rules, so maybe they'll be better.

Yeah, RAW it seems like a headache and something they overtuned to make sure you couldn't just spam magical goods and gently caress up the loot economy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I remembering seeing the short with Mercer's side of things so I was going to post that but you beat me to it.

I am planning to use XP because I want to have side objectives and I'm hoping it'll feel more rewarding that way, especially with how it's always just 1000 xp to level in P2e meaning there isn't that much math to level up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A preview of the Treasure Vault rules for crafting. I don't think it'll be the magic bullet to "fix" crafting based on what the complaints in the thread were earlier, but it definitely tries to address the issue of crafting always taking four days minimum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-54Xd7JlRVg

I do like the idea of nature based crafting to grow magic items. That's my wife's jam.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Zero is an imaginary number no wonder I forgot about it, thanks.

No, imaginary numbers square root of -1.

Jokes aside, I finally hosted my first game. We kept it relatively simple because we weren't really there for a dungeon crawl--the characters were "looking for work" and stumbled into a mystery. One of the players said at the end "I didn't realize that a mystery was even what I wanted!" so I was happy with that. We had some fun role play and then the three adventurers became locked in combat with an elite tooth fairy, which almost killed the bard with its "tooth pull" persistent bleed damage. An AC of 17 is surprisingly hard to hit at level 1! But there were three of them and they used flanking and aid actions to juice their chances and took care of it in two rounds.

It was nice how everyone felt reasonably good and the group adhered quickly and started helping each other do everything. Also the players all agreed that they preferred milestone leveling and I'm okay with that, though I went ahead and made it clear I'll be using XP in the background to budget encounters and pace the adventure, which everyone felt was a good idea.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

Glad you enjoyed your first session!

Double check that your players are adding proficiency to their attacks. Most characters should be getting +6 or +7 to their attacks (+3 from proficiency, +3 or +4 from their ability score). That means they hit on a 10 or 11, which is pretty standard for Pathfinder 2e.

Everyone remembered their bonuses, with a little prompting, so this really came down to the champion rolling a five on their first attack and the swashbuckler rolling 3 nat 1s in a row, which was awe-inspiring in it's unlikelihood.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That reminds me, if something is flying, can it still be tripped? The swashbuckler in my last game tried that on a tooth fairy and I allowed it because I reasoned you could disrupt its wings the same way you do someone 's legs, but I couldn't find a rule in the book to be sure.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So is there a maximum fall speed or is it like 5e DND where falling is basically "teleport to the ground and take damage"?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Thanks!

I assume that falling counts as forced movement.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 16, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

What makes wizard underwhelming apart from "is better at buffs" and "not great single target but gets good AoE? Complexity? Unsatisfying spell lists?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Are bards also supposed to get staves?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A villainous mutagen alchemist juicing a stable of barbarians and fighters before jumping in himself screams Vince McMahon to me.

"It was me, Jockstrap!"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I had a question about the "free archetype" rule. Since it's a variant rule and you can have everyone in the group get the archetype based on the campaign, do they still have to otherwise qualify? Like, if you decide that the free archetype is alchemist, do they still need an intelligence of 14? Or, since it's free, is it just free of restrictions like that?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Our group is just doing our first 2e campaign and are looking through the treasure vault and... is it just us or is the distinction between simple/martial/advanced weapons kind of extremely arbitrary? Sure, something like the three-section-naginata being advanced very much fits, that thing easily seems complex enough to warrant it. But then you've got stuff like the karambit (farm implement turned weapon), falcata (slightly more choppy sword), and gada (literally just a metal club) somehow counting as advanced, too. Meanwhile stuff that you'd think would be much more difficult to use like the rope dart or meteor hammer "only" counts as martial.

Now, fortunately our DM is more than willing to waive that on request (doubly so since there's basically nothing in there for rogues otherwise), but I can't help but wonder what their reasoning even is here. Is advanced just a "only fighters are supposed to have this" thing now?

I think it's meant to balance the power of something that has lots of traits and/or higher damage die more than anything. Like this item has above average damage and more than three good traits, so it's advanced. I only base this on cursory familiarity with the weapon list though, because drat is the whole list a lot to take in.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Your use of AI art for your own satisfaction is not the discussion, Boba. You said in the PYF comics thread that you train your AI on your art so it's your style. That's arguably fine! What people are discussing is the modern way AI art steals other people's art and then people want to use that stolen and remixed art for monetary gain. Paizo wants no part of that, and frankly it's exploitive to clamor for it.

Also your "just retrain as a coder and get a real job lol" style argument is really gross. By that argument anyone who wants to publish an RPG but can't afford an artist should just get a better job so they can. It's not helpful.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 2, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

No reason to force an entire industry of people into shittier situations if we can help it, though!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That is interesting. I would think if it let a spellcaster avoid a silence condition it would be more powerful than a level 0 item, so I think it most likely is just for letting someone who otherwise can't talk talk to people who don't know sign or aren't telepathic.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I know blindness and deafness can be magically inflicted permanent effects. Is "muteness" a thing? Can it be permanent?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Harold Fjord posted:

So if my wits wash buckler puts it on and speaks he's speaking in all the languages he knows at the same time? Instead of having to try out each language one by one?

The way I picture this sounds like distressing chaos. Like a one person flock of seagulls just going off in a half dozen languages.

But I think it's meant to be "speak in a language you understand but otherwise can't speak."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Mime or interpretative dance bard has to be a thing somehow.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You're good.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The dyslexic sheets website has a large print option once you are designing how you want the sheet to look.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I know that I found having an NPC ally or applying the weak tags went a long way when I only had three level ones in my game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

Being evil is played out. They should run a Chaotic/Neutral Bolshevik who kills every noble you send your party to rescue.

This is why I am steering my players to Cheliax so they can kill slave owners.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So random question.

The Pactbinder feat Pact of Draconic Fury says "You breath deeply and exhale a line or cone of powerful breath, much like the dragon with which you made the pact." The description adds later, "No matter the shape, it deals 1d6 damage per level of the same damage type of the dragon's breath weapon."

What if you make your pact with a faerie dragon, whose breath weapon doesn't do damage, but instead inflicts stupefied 2 and slowed 1 for 1d4 rounds? Does it do poison damage because the faerie dragon's breath weapon has the poison type? That's my reading, at least.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Does risky surgery work with battle medicine?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I was shocked too

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Apparently it's fifty-fifty on tables using free archetype.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

That is extremely cool.

Though I’ve played any of Bkom’s games, so who knows what the quality will be.

It seems the closest thing to what an AV game might look like that they've done before was an adaptation of the Tomb of Annihilation board game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Can you get the martial to use some of their actions to set you up? A Bon Mot to reduce will saves, a frighten to reduce all defenses, a skunk bomb to apply sickened? Like you said, their actions are more plentiful and they could really help you out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

So much more profitable to exploit workers than it is to pay for their room and board.

Also Cheliax has lost lots of territory because of revolts and outside nations seeing them as this monolithic evil force with slavery and a literally diabolic legal system. Categorically "freeing" their slaves (but preserving the caste system of functional slavery) will win them a PR coup and relieve pressure from rebellions and diplomatic neighbors and possibly win them more allies who will help them enforce the legal limits on freedom. "It's not slavery, it's tithing/wages/free trade." It might even make people say poo poo like, "I'm free!? Bless Asmodeus the Liberator!" and undermine actual good deities.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 27, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

gtrmp posted:

I've been playing D&D for over thirty years and couldn't tell you a single difference between brass, bronze, and copper dragons offhand if you held a gun to my head

Um... one has a breath weapon that's a line, another has a cone and.... uh... hrm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

(I swear I roll a 3 on every Intimidation check though..)

The number of times my players rolled specifically the number 2 during our last game was mathematically improbable