Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
They have different armor specialization effects and also I think there are some unique magical chain shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Anyone solving the Dark Archive ARG? the clues are gibberish to me.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
The game is also designed for high level play. There is alot less save or suck and save or die. All the usual suspects have the Incapacitation trait so they won't shut out your big bads. https://2e.aonprd.com/Traits.aspx?ID=93

Rogues are also no longer the trap monkey. Its more of a thing anyone can do. Alot of traps use other skills to disarm. One in Abomination Vault lets you disarm it with intimidation.

For most of my experience, casters are more debuff focused and AOE. Summons are ok but they are usually a level or two below the party.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Summons and Pets requiring your actions to use and sharing your MAP make them alot weaker. In my last game we had a mage summon dragons using his highest level slot and even then, they didn't contribute a ton.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope

Harold Fjord posted:

They don't share MAP, except Summoner eidelon and mounts

Crap. That makes sense since the last time I interacted with animal companions was my goblin ranger riding a wolf.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
The caster version of the cleric seems the closest to a trap choice. War Priest is much more fun.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope

Scrap Dragon posted:

Any advice for someone running Abomination Vaults for the first time? This'll also be my first time running Pathfinder and I'll be running it for people who have only ever played 5e before

Have the players read https://downloads.paizo.com/AbominationVaults_PlayersGuide.pdf. It will give them an idea of whats expected, background info and what classes and skills work well. Are you running it on a VTT or in person?

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
One thing is that hitting and running is a lot better than it seems. Monsters don't always have attack of opportunities so making sure the boss can't hit multiple people helps a lot. Players have the action advantage over boss monsters so spending one action to waste a boss action is a great trade.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
The advantage for Electric Arc is that is a save and not an attack roll, casters don't get the bonuses to hit martials get from runes so its hard to hit until you get a shadow signet. Cantrips scale every two levels so around midgame is when they start scaling past a normal attack. Telekinetic Projectile is probably the most flexible cantrip for ranged dps. With the new spellhearts, any caster should be running with 2 good dps cantrips.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope

Arrrthritis posted:

Any recommendations for gear/runes for a harm-focused cloistered cleric?

We're playing Blood Lords, so I think a Staff of Healing is out of the question (which makes like, 90% of threads on this topic moot), but other items are probably okay if they don't use positive energy.

Get a spell heart with a damage cantrip, electric arc or telekinetic projectile. A staff with good debuff spells would be good.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
I'm playing a Thaum in bloodlords and I have a ton of magical doodads. Getting a 2nd implement really helps, I am doing Mirror and Weapon. The feats to get free tailsmans (buffed from treasure vault) and scrolls are amazing (You can pick from any spell list). Thaums have the best average damage since so much of it is flat modifiers.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Make sure you cover at least 2 damage types and have a game plan for enemies that are immune to precision damage.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Does anyone have a good tl;dr for the strengths weaknesses of spell traditions (Arcane, Primal, Occult, Divine)? I have a player looking to play a Witch and they're trying to decide which Patron to take.

Pathfinder is a teamwork focused game so it depends on what the other characters are as well.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Aid is a big third action for anyone. At higher levels, its pretty much a guaranteed +3 or +4. Outside of Sorc or Psychic, Caster damage is a lot of AOE/half damage on success. There is a couple spells that punch above its weight like Sudden Bolt, which is good to keep heightened. Magic Missile is also great for bosses since some damage is a lot better than a turn where everyone misses.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
At the end of the day Aid depends on how groggy your GM is. Perception is an easy one you can use, you can point out openings, weakpoints, etc. For casters you can use your attack roll to fling some basic magic to help like a sudden flash of light, highlighting the weak point or giving your ally a bit more force. The knowledge skills would be similar, giving pointers or hints like this is the monster's blind spot. Social skills you can be encouraging your allies or distracting your opponent.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
For super groggy tables, you can use your last action to pull out potions/elixirs/wands/etc. Have a couple situational wands (resist energy, stoneskin, fear) is usually a good play. You can also think about moving proactively, helping set up a flank to finish off a weak enemy, splitting up for AOEs, moving out of range/sight so enemies need to spend more actions to hurt you.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
I'm playing a water/air Kineticist, level 17 now and it really depends on what elements you choose. Main strengths are how often you can use your abilities, your durability (HP and good saves) and adaptability. Most likely you won't be topping any charts. Its a really flexible class that you can build a ton of ways from Aura Support to Overflow focus.

Two abilities to be mindful of is Protector Tree and Winter Sleet. Protector Tree scales much faster than damage so it could lead to really boring fights. Winter Sleet uses uneven terrain rules which are terrible.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Only 1 front line character is going to be a bad time. Maybe a fighter with beast master archetype, if you are playing with Free Archetype. Either way you are going to feel really action constrained since you won't have enough to actually tank for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

My kineticist got to level 5 and I'm eager to find out if winter's sleet is absolutely busted or just very good.

Winter Sleet is busted cause the uneven terrain rules are terrible and none of the monster designers remembered it exists. I would check with your GM if he wants to handle the extra rule load since it makes running monsters really painful.