Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

gurragadon posted:

I have a question about items. Can players use an item of any level that they get or do they have to be the level of the item? I've been giving out a bunch of money to encourage people to look at all the items and they are able to afford stuff a level or two above them. It hasn't been an issue yet but I was wondering if there is an actual rule about it I missed.

In addition to what has been said, you'd be surprised how rarely giving someone a level 381 Artifact or whatever actually *breaks* the game. Like say you based your starting adventure around the fact one of the players has gotten their hands on Serithtial from the GM Core. It's a real good sword, and it's intelligent, plus it can Heal or Ring of Truth at super high level. It's certainly powerful enough to justify level 23.....but your low level bozos aren't getting any defense from that sword, so they are exactly as likely to die from getting hit. They are just slightly [And I do mean slightly] better at killing things first and healing after the fact. Moreover, the sword wants to be fighting an evil god and killing a powerful dragon. As your low level team can't actually do that, it's probably going to want you to find someone that can.

There's some plot attached to it, and one person is probably going to be bit more kill-y than they would have been, but fundamentally a low level campaign with that in it is going to have everyone operating the exact same as they always do. It's not even like they can sell it easily, it'd be an entire adventure just to find someone they trust to offload it on who can pay anything even vaguely near it's worth. Same holds true for most things. Like if someone is playing a wizard whose master has been killed, and they take up his Staff of Arcane Might. Ok, great. Staff rules are still what they are, 99% of the functionality of that staff is locked. It's just a neat thing that will level up in usefulness with them, but no more. Most items aren't going to really break the system over their knees, and going even *well* above your group level is fine as long as you are comfortable enough with the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Commander very much seems a bit more dialed in than Guardian. You can do neat things to mess with the action economy, but you can only prepare so many and everyone can only use one of them a turn. Also they are either auditory or visual, so there are ways to shut them down [Which is nice for when your GM also looks at them and goes "Man, sure would be cool to put these on the undead champion I had planned."]. Also has some neat substitution plays, using Warfare Lore for a lot of random things, using Intelligence in some places you'd normally have to use something else. And yes, they still have multiple "Yell at people to put their arms back on" healing moves, gently caress the joyless ghoul that thought that was ever a bad idea. Even get an animal companion, why not?

Seems neat, although I'm super interested in what it's archetype would look like. Even flavoring a little of that on some other things could be funny.