Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

M. Night Skymall posted:

I mean yes I mention it repeatedly. I'm thinking of running Quest for the Frozen Flame with the Battlezoo monster parts rules, but I haven't had an opportunity yet. The treasure is apparently all wonky anyway and you basically never get to shop since you're roaming around on the frozen tundra. Most people just run ABP and get rid of most of whatever treasure there is, but could be perfect for an alternate treasure system.

I don't think PF2E is a great system for a monster hunter(as in the video game series) game in general though. It doesn't do single monster boss fights very well, because they really wanted you to be able to fight the exact same monster as a boss at low levels and a mook at high levels, with no change in stats or rules.

I mean that's kind of true in MonHun as well. At some point you out gear and out knowledge a lot of the monsters so them showing up isn't a huge deal

Its why they introduce variants and boosted versions with new gimmicks and attacks that are essentially new monsters with some shared moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Serf posted:

The skeleton brings to mind an old horror short I read as a kid about an alien that looked like a human skeleton, but turned out to be like a reverse human, with the blood and meat inside the bones. Pretty freaky stuff back then.

And that does sound funny but it's not to my taste. Undead should just have a whole slew of immunities to bleeding, poison, disease all that stuff. Might as well have some upside for being dead.

They already do have upsides it's in the rest of the text.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Someone who wants to roleplay "Character who is bumbling/not as good as they would like to be/say they are" but are unable to do that without just mechanically loving up their ability to aid their other party members kind of just suck to play with more often then not because the characters rarely go anywhere other than just being bad at the thing they decided they wanted to be so everyone else kind of just suffers for it and it's a drag on the fun for everyone for what amounts to a one note bit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

If you can only prove your point by increasing granularity, you're not actually proving your point, especially where social systems are concerned.

Pathfinder 2e, like all TTRPGs, is a Game and thus a social system where the mechanics exist to service social activity, not the other way around.

Or one might even say, the difference between intellect and wisdom.

Have the wisdom to not post like this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Andrast posted:

Wizards are fine

Yeah they're okay. Still feel like wizards of old but don't have the ability to just say "No one else needs to play". They're not hyper good and some people freak out about that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

OgreNoah posted:

I'm playing Quest for the Frozen Flame

There's a...Chrono Cross adventure path?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Jen X posted:

It's a matter of player expectations, given class narrative, class feature flavor, and worldbuilding, not narrative prominence or control. The tension comes from the fact that a lower-level martial character doing something impossible has a greater player perception barrier to overcome than a caster doing so, so the caster feels capable of things the martial isn't while a caster can in theory (though obviously not in practice) do the mundane things the martial does too.

In this game Monks can go super saiyan and fighters can swing a sword so precisely it cuts space and time and folds space around the slice, shortening the world and bringing the target to them.

But also this is just a dumb take in general because "Rogue just stabs a guy any wizard could do that" is both pathetically poor imagination and ignoring what they're actually doing. It's like watching John wick and thinking "Yeah I could do that poo poo easily no big deal".

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Thanks again for the information, everyone. Was just wondering how, if alignment isn't a thing anymore, how this would impact realms, Outsiders, etc.. I guess if Law nd Chaos is still a thing Hell and the Abyss would still be against each other, etc... But then there's also "Evil" nations like Irrisen, Geb, Nidal, etc.. Dunno what becomes of them, either. I guess

They'd be the same thing? Like they're not like that becauae they're Evil they're Evil because they're like that so now that Evil isn't a thing they're still themselves.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Wizard's design and concept space in D&D and it's knock offs are "What if a magic man but he had All The Spells but Had To Read sometimes." And that..sucks rear end and is so broad it might as well be nothing. It's why the whole concept of Schools of magic were a thing, to try and give them any focus at all and even that failed. Just cut them and make a few classes that cover the concepts that already existing Magic Guys don't cover.

Fighter long had the same issue but later PF1E and now 2E have settled on this absolute expert at warfare, a versatile master of martial skill and flexibility to be a one woman army, which is a concept that isn't already filled in by other martials who are all thematically hyper focused on other things so Being Fantasy John Wick is a place fighter can play. Most of the other casters already have some flexibility built into them with spell choice already and usually the more focused ones are better at the whole concept of "Master of X Magic" that wizard doesn't really have the same free space to try and expand in.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, the move towards giving every ancestry a nonsense name you have to remember is annoying.

How am I supposed to know this guys name is Derrik and this one's if Phillipe? You expect me to remember things now?

Shut up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

People have had "Argonian" internalized for lizardpeople and "Khajit" for cat people for decades. Why are giving ancestries names suddenly a problem now for this game? Do D&D players get frustrated that aarakocra aren't just called birdfolk? (Trick question no they don't "aarakocra" is too fun to say)

I don't know and I don't understand it. People have learned 1000 Pokemon names, I'm pretty sure the nerds playing The D&D KNock off, Pathfinder 2nd Edition, can handle a handful of new proper nouns.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

"So you want to play this ancestry?"

"Yup"

"Cool. You understand in this region it's really hard to justify why people would be have met anyone with this ancestry, and that will affect your social interactions?"

"Yeah I know."

"Ok I won't make it unpleasant or difficult but you will run into different reactions from the rest of the party and have to account for that, even for things like lodging and basic supplies. You won't have to endure"

"Of course. That makes sense."

/fast forward to the session

"The innkeeper's wife whispers something to her spouse. They seem uneasy and give your character a whale eye while they talk. The innkeeper refuses the party lodging and says they're full. You'll have to look around town for some other place to stay."

"I can't do this. You didn't warn me it would be like this. I can't handle this. Sorry but I'm out."

That + multiple experiences where every player wanted to be some ultra rare, lonely, brooding outsider made me develop the rule where first they have to prove they can work with the party/setting before they do something more wild. It works, even if most players when hearing that still default to Elf instead of the much more awesome Gnome/Goblin :negative:.

I really think you come across as kind of a chore to be around if your reaction was to say "I won't make it unpleasant for you" and then the literal first interaction you had was making sure the npcs were racist as poo poo. Like the issue isn't people playing less common (and I mean that as in "Not usually in the bland D&D base core" and not "Less common in setting" because those are very different things and you seem to care way more about the former") it's just you being boring as poo poo and also seemingly annoying because you decided to not actually discuss what you want and are getting pissy about it here.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

I knew about leshies but, until this diversion, I didn't know about ghorans. As someone who really digs Guild Wars 2's sylvari race, I think they'd be really need to play, but I'd probably get "a whale eye" if I ever tried. Admittedly, that rare race really is numerically rare, so it's harder to justify.

You don't have to justify it.

You're playing magical house with your friends. The rules aren't divine law.

Kyrosiris posted:

My pixie fighter has 16 strength because of the ancestry malus :evilbuddy:

Pixie Monk in D&D 4E was so goddamn fun.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Azhais posted:

"I won't make it unpleasant for you but you will have problems with things like basic lodgings"

If you're only going to listen to part of what the GM says is going to be a problem you'll run into surprises. The described scenario is precisely what was warned about and seems entirely reasonable.

No it's not by a long shot and also it still STILL speaks to that posters incredibly boring imagination that they cannot even conceive of a world where fantasy poo poo is happening without really petty poo poo like that.

Like just tell them not to play the poo poo at that point if your only possible scenario you can come up with is "Casual racism against the fantasy race I think is too fantasy but not the other fantasy races." Shut up!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dexo posted:

Define pretty modern, because uh, "Others" have been discriminated against/forced to assimilate in various societies, for a pretty large chunk of human history lol.

This is not me saying it should be in a game, because fantasy racism is like not something I want to experience in a game and I would bounce if a GM took that path to deal with a character I created.

While this is true we're also talking about a game where there's like...17 flavors of elf and dragon men and Hobbits and they're all considered by that one poster to be normal enough to not do the fantasy racist shtick at them. The game rules and setting writing aren't law you can just have the more uncommon races...not be that uncommon. The only real reason to do what they did as a gm is that you want to either punish the player for picking something you find too fantastical or you just wanted to do fantasy racism for your own sake.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Or the third option, which is that you personally find the idea of a Fleshwarp who gets treated like a lovable uncle in some random backwater town to strain the credulity and versimilitude of your elfgame. Some styles of games simply do not work if someone is a unicycle-riding half Kitsune gnome Magus who speaks purely in haiku. Others are fine with it.

The idea that there's two reasons for a gamemaster not to let a player be a fuckin' Dragon and both of them make that gamemaster a bad person is just sanctimonious horseshit.

The op stated they could not conceive of a reason some.random innkeeper would have every met the rare ancestry before and defaulted to "Well obviously they're going to be racist about it" in a setting where there are multiple multinational if not intercontinental companies of freaks and weirdos who people consistently hire out to do jobs ranging from "Hey those wolves are really giving our livestock the business" to "Hey a whole nation lost to time suddenly popped back into existence can you help us normalize trading relations with them" to "Hey I think my neighbors are a demon and an angel and in love and there's a while lot of people mad about it from their relative sides".

The fact that the GM cannot imagine an innkeeper in a frankly stupid and goofy sci-fi and fantasy setting thinking "Oh this guys also a horse? Little weird but his gold spends" and has to jump to racism as a petty spite move against the player for doing something he didn't personally think was serious and real enough is stupid. Especially combined with earlier posts from.them about players having to 'earn' playing things he considers too strange or silly by first appeasing him by playing a 'normal' character. Sorry, it just sucks rear end every way you look at it.

Like I said, he sounds like an absolute chore to play with.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 2, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also what verisimilitude is it breaking? They're in the game. They exist in the setting. People move around for a lot of reasons, circumstance draws people everywhere. It's pretty easy to come up with reasons why

Happened all the time in actual history

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think I've figured out what's giving me the cognitive dissonance: it's referring to these unusual characters as freaks and weirdos, but then asking them to be treated as though their existence in a certain area is the most normal thing in the world. Thus functionally making the freaks and weirdos neither freaky nor weird. I just can't get behind that, but if you can: more power to you.

Like, in Dragonlance there's an entire island of minotaurs, they definitely exist, but if you find one on the mainland it's going to cause a lot of open mouths. Likewise if Farmer Bob wakes up one morning and goes down to the market and a living doll says "howdy" he might not say "howdy" back.

Buddy if you read the rest of that post I even had the innkeeper call the imaginary horseman weird. You are arguing with points that weren't made and only exist in your mind. And you're still losing ground.

This histrionics are all in your own mind and posts.

Like you do understand the difference between having people see them as weird or strange and going full on "We don't serve your kind, which I've literally never seen before today, around here" at the very first interaction they have with an npc like in the example that poster themselves gave?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 2, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vanguard Warden posted:

I've always been in the same boat here, the way the primary settings of D&D and PF treat the fantastical elements as fairly ubiquitous just makes them seem kind of boring to me. Like if magic is so prolific that you have wizards going to wizard school to get a cushy job casting Sending for the government, then congratulations on making wizards into loving salary-men.

Buddy the whole game is named after the loving paperwork guild built up around adventurers-as-industry. We're 75% of the way to full Discworld.

And honestly we'd be much much better for it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mycot posted:

But what everyone is leaving out is that in the original story the GM DID let the player play that character, he just made every NPC racist. That's why it feels like someone trying to mete a "clever" punishment for the crime of trying to be special. If you don't want someone to play something other than human or pointy-ear human, just veto the character.

MJ wants to argue with the arguments he made up in his head and not anything anyone was actually talking about. Especially not the actual things posted that started the discussion.

Maverick Thwomp posted:

The whole thing with mind the walrus throwing racism into his games and dogwhistling about "certain demographics" makes a lot more sense when you look at his rap sheet and see he has multiple probes for being pissing and moaning about trans people and accusing them of being pedophiles.

Oh lol. Thats...yeah no things make sense.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

If It's a general behaviour of the population, sure. If it's just some individuals, why? It IS within the range of possible reactions. If I go in an elven city and some innkeepers are racist against my human PC and refuse to let me sleep in their inn, for example, the GM should have made clear in session zero?

Again, there's no need to make up new hypotheticals on when it's cool to have racism in the game when we're talking about the specific example posted up thread where this is not the case at all.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I'd imagine they'd probably start off not wanting to piss said possible-demon-from-hell off? Which, dunno about you, but I would be by an obvious "we have room but not for you" attitude.

Sounds to me a more sensible attitude would be cautious appeasement with a worried "phew, thank gently caress that's over" after they're out of earshot. :shrug:

Yeah I don't think even in this desperate framing of a literal know nothing potato turned rural innkeeper makes sense because if you think that tiefling you met is a literal honest to God devil, do you think they're gonna take impolite no as an answer? I mean I'd honestly be impressed by the person who's ignorance and racism overrides their fear of this thing eating their soul if they displeased it.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 2, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

You're the clown having a meltdown about a completely imagined issue and we're the histrionic ones? gently caress outta here, dude.

To be fair, the goblins in the camp all revel in murder and just generally being total bastards to everyone else. You're not going and stomping a goblin settlement with women and children into the dirt--the goblins you fight are a roving warband. You can also kill their leaders and leave the rest alone.

Yeah you can actually end things on relatively fine terms with some of the goblins and in fact, spare the lives of some of them later when you're given control over their fate from another group of lovely rear end in a top hat leaders they fall under.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

gurragadon posted:

It's the worst, it just completely destroys the fantasy of a dark and dangerous dungeon to me. Also, it usually ends up with the party being like 4/5 darkvision and one human without it so I just end up giving the human darkvision goggles because the rest of the party doesn't care about lighting.

I did make darkvision black and white all the time, even in full light so I'm going to do a bunch of stuff with color illusions I think.

You know there's other 'dungeons' then a dark cave right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I like to activate my shadow ki and spawn shadow whips and grab and pull guys and then throw them around like rag dolls then hit them with the Final Flash.

Monk's cool.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So do I have to rebuy the core books now if I want PDF's of the new rules?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Is the style bonus worth going one element only on kineticist?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Chevy Slyme posted:

Depends on the element and what your goals with it are. There isn't a single right answer, only the answer that's right for what you are trying to build.

No idea what the rest of the party is so no real combat role in mind but I'm playing a Drow who got adopted by some dwarven miners that found her as an infant and through emulating her smith mother and miner dad has earned what the family calls The Love of Iron in her and that's what's goin on with her magic so I'm debating over Metal or Metal/Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

I hope they kill Norgorber because it's such a dumb name.

EVery time he shows up in an adventure path his cultists have come up with a even dumber name for him. Runelords gave us Father Skinsaw.

Also his demi-god avatar is just a BIg Scorpion. He sucks so loving bad.