Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Rangers are pretty much nature themed martials. Their gimmick is hunting down specific targets with their Hunt Prey action, which makes it easier to track their prey while also being able to hit them from a longer distance. Their hunter's edge modifies the prey, which allows certain builds like blendering your prey with a flurry of attacks, hitting your prey with deliberate precise attacks which your animal companion (if you take one!) can also take advantage of or demoralizing an deceiving your prety while becoming harder to hit for them.

Rangers support a variety of weapon fighting styles depending on the edges. You can go for a ranged build or run around smacking baddies with a big hammer. Ranger feats builds on those particular weapon styles.
Other Ranger feats allow you to craft and place snares, cast warden focus spells or have an animal companion that you can later mount!

Rangers are pretty good and a far cry from the mediocre ones in 5e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

In my campaign I've been using the DCs by level when my players want to take an aid action.
So when aiding an attack against a monster, I use the monster's level to set the DC. Same with other stuff that has a level, like hazzards.
For challenges that don't have a level I just use their player level and adjust the DC depending on the difficulty on the task using the DC adjustments table.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

Yep, that's exactly what I'm aiming for. I feel like the player characters should be able to help each other out, especially at the lower levels.
Pathfinder 2E is all about teamwork and it's a shame the original rule with the suggestion of DC20 kinda scares new players away from that.

This is the first time my players are playing 2E after years of D&D 5E and they're really enjoying the teamwork in battle instead of having a bunch characters acting together individually.

They love it when they get to know their demoralize/grapple/helping actions made the difference in turning a miss into a hit or a hit into a crit.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

I played a Kobold Oracle myself in and my party got a lot of mileage out of Fear heightened to level 3. It targets up to 5 creatures which is fantastic in bigger fights!
Calm emotions is really good too for debuffing and can help with non-combat situations.
If you want buffs, Heroism is always good, paired with the aforementioned fear, you're giving your party an effective +2 to hit on most opponents.
As for blasting spells, they work generally best against larger groups of opponents. I really liked Inner Radiance Torrent. It's a good line blasting spell which heightens really well!
If you are okay with necromantic spells, Rouse Skeletons is great. You're moving an angry skeleton ball around to battlefield for a minute.
And finally against big monsters, Roaring Applause helps by getting rid of their reactions, giving your party room to move around.

Many ancestries also allow you to get cantrips from other spell traditions. I managed to snag Electric Arc thanks to being a Kobold. That might also be a good way to get a nice cantrip.
I prefer the ones that force a saving throw since they'll still do damage even when the opponent succeeds at a normal save.

Autodrop Monteur fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 24, 2023

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

Yeah! Non-lethal weapons would be the easiest step. If you want to help out your party without directly doing damage or set up sneak attacks even easier for yourself, the Ruffian racket might be a nice alternative! Because Ruffians key of strength, you can easily go for athletics to trip or grab opponents with your free hand while bonking them with your sap. Add in a splash of intimidation and you'll be able to help out in a lot of ways without doing damage yourself.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

When I was GM'ing Abomination Vaults, I often had a situation where one of the players couldn't show up due to obligations.
I didn't really feel like scaling every encounter depending on the player count, so I came up with a dumb idea to keep the player count at four.
An eccentric Tian Xian Goblin scientist gave them a bunch of experimental gachapon balls with Palbots in them. Small automaton characters I made based on which person was missing.
During a session my players could just crack open a ball and command the little bot. Kinda like pokémon I guess! Except they expire at the end of the session :lmao:

That way I could still build and play characters as an ever DM while also showing my players all the cool stuff you could do in Pathfinder 2E.
My players grew really attached to them and were always looking forward to seeing what bot they would get this time if a player couldn't make it to the session :)

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

I exported the statsheet from pathbuilder, that was generally enough for them!
Once my players were more comfortable with the game system, I had them pilot the Palbots.
The bots I made did fill a similar role to what the players were missing, but with different kinds of builds to show what options you have in Pathfinder and how martials are really cool in this edition.
Like a twin weapon fighter with picks, a warpriest with just heals and magic weapon (to reduce the amount of choice the players needed to make), etc...

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

The changes to the Witch look nice. I like how there's more emphasis on the familiar.
One of my players wanted to do more with her familiar during combat and I think she'll be really happy with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

I think the primary point is that they're automated character sheets.
When I GM'd a 5E campaign for friends, the majority of players were new to roleplaying systems, so it was great for them to have a sheet where they could click on abilities and spells to see what they do. Helped me as well since I could just have their sheets open in a tab and check their spells and abilities and stuff, since there's no free access to rules like Archive of Nethys. And I guess people are easily wowed by the pretty sheets and custom 3D dice. :shrug:

Nexus, I don't know, it feels like it's made for people who use Beyond and just want a pretty interface or something. I've found the website to be terribly slow. On top of that, Archive of Nethys + Pathbuilder are so much faster and easier to use as both a player and a GM.