Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Harold Fjord posted:

Don't forget the map.

Honestly this map makes me more hype to try Pathfinder 2e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Okay, I'm reading through the PF2e rulebook and there's something that's bugging me about the armor chart: namely, there are a few cases where two armor options are identical (or near-identical) in stats, but have different prices. For example, Hide and Scale armor are identical across the board except that Hide armor is in the "leather" group and Scale is in the "composite" group, which boils down to whether the armor specialization effect givesyou resistance to bludgeoning or piercing damage. And yet, Scale armor costs twice what Hide does. The only other difference I can see is that, as predominantly-metal armor, Scale has more hardness and hp, but armor doesn't generally take damage the way shields do, so that seems marginal at best.

Or, for another example, Splint Mail vs. Half Plate. Again, identical except for the composite vs. plate group, but half-plate costs 18 gp to Splint's 13. And in this case they're both metal, so they have the same hardness and hp in the unlikely event that comes up.

Am I missing something here, or is this just one of those annoying D&D legacy issues where certain armor types are still on the chart for "tradition" and one is more expensive for "realism?"

(And yes, I know this is a minor issue that only really matters at level 1 and a few gp difference in the base price of nonmagical armor stos mattering almost immediately, I'm just confused as to why it's there at all.)

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

One thing I'm not digging so much in reading the Lost Omens World Guide: it seems like there are a metric ton of cool adventure hooks... that were resolved by some random group of heroes a few years ago. I assume these are references to older APs, and yeah, it's easy enough to just ignore the "and then a brave band of heroes stopped this threat and saved the day" ending and treat it s still an active threat, but it's not exactly super thrilling to read.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

I like the optional rule in Reign, where you're allowed to give the GM a list of setup lines before the session and they're supposed to do their best to work them into the game so you can bust out your prepared punchline.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

Oh wait, I'm misunderstanding Assurance, maybe. I was thinking Assurance only gave you 10 + the skill training, not the level bonus. Yeah, I see what you guys are saying there.

Yeah, Assurance gives you "10 + proficiency bonus," and proficiency bonus is "your level + 2/4/6/8."

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

I would say the intent is clearly "you can't voluntarily shorten the line, but if the line stops because you have no line of effect beyond that range, that square is still the last square of the line," but admittedly there isn't a concrete rule in the current PF2e rulebook that I can find that explicitly deals with this--the only other place this "last square in a line" rule is mentioned (at least in the core) appears to be Penetrating Ammunition, but it doesn't provide any more clarification.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

Right but then it's the same as crit fail

I like the idea that you can scramble at half speed before you end up prone. It's the only interpretation I can come up with to even have that as an -or-

Otherwise I would put the failure result as "you flail in place and the action is wasted'

NVM, I see what you're saying now.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

My interpretation is that fail gives you the option to just go "nope, gently caress it, waste the action", whereas a crit fail says fall on your rear end, do not pass go, do not collect 200 gold.

Yeah, but what Harold is getting at is that there's absolutely no reason you'd ever not do that, because there's nothing that actually happens if you don't choose to stop on a failure. If it said "You move half your speed and fall at the end of it or you must stop moving immediately to keep your balance" that would justify the option. But without that, it makes way more sense for the fail effect to just be "you stop moving and waste the action."

About the only case I can see, which is an extreme edge case and TBH I don't even know if there's any effect like this in PF, but if for some reason you were required to move your full Speed or for some other reason couldn't stop, then I guess you'd fall prone on a failure?