Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
If they hardback Strength of Thousands it’ll likely get a Foundry release as a one volume job. Otherwise use the importer, you’ll need to fix some character art and put in some stats for NPCs if the players ask them for help in fights. Otherwise it works fairly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Everyone does, but Paizo are probably reluctant to burn all the current people by making the switch and breaking all their books.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

I really like 3 boosts and a flaw ancestries because it meant I could shop around for one that let me have a 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8 spread when I needed those stats. The 14 is usually to qualify for an archetype or a gun had a minimum strength score or I just wanted a few more HP as I thought the character would be front lining.

Given the paucity of Str/Int/Free and Str/Wis/Free ancestries I’m sad if they are going the way of the dodo.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

So long as you have a 16 or 18 in the stat you are using to attack people with, your character in PF2 is viable.
Nearly all the classes are good and the main difference in effectiveness is player skill and teamwork.

Alchemist isn't even purely bad per se, it strengths are a lot more in suppling defensive tools to the party. Bombs also vary in effectiveness a lot depending on if the opposition have any Weakness the alchemist can exploit.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

I had a 16 dex rogue once and would not recommend. Fortunately DM was generous with retraining when APG came out and now he's a perfect swashy

I'd always go 18 if I could, but with some classes its not an option. Also over the full 20 levels you are 1 behind about half the time.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Analytic Engine posted:

anyone else playing Strength of Thousands? African Hogwarts is a really fun combination. needs more NPC interaction in the later part though, we're dungeon crawling at this point like most Pathfinder modules. poor circus campaign...

Heading into the last book now, its been decent but the players weren’t major fans of most of the teachers.

The school not really being a school bugged them. They were annoyed that the teachers kept giving them adventuring party jobs to do.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

Playing Strength of Thousands as a cleric, just hit level 5. Decided to go in on debuffs because we've got a bard who's got the buff side pretty well covered, and discovering that all the ones I picked have the Mental tag, which is occasionally a problem. Are there any good debuffs I should keep in mind that will be helpful against mindless/Mental-immune things? I'm not very deep in on system mastery for PF2e, are there any standouts I should make sure to pick up?

Your strength as a cleric is the flexibility of which spells you prepare on a given day. Cleric has some good damage AoEs later on and if you are running into undead you are spoilt for choice. See if research or even an Augury spell lets the GM give you a hint about what spells might be useful on an upcoming day.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Extinction Curse is a good AP, but the circus thing is an initial hook that very pointedly goes away.

I recall a conversation a priest was having with me during the AP where he was explaining that the fate of a large area rested upon our parties actions and my ringmaster character just half mutters to himself that he’s just trying to run a circus.

Its a good initial hook, but at a point in the story you aren’t a circus anymore and the players could probably do with a little warning that that will happen.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Some tough melee characters are very handy in abomination vaults, the corridors are cramped and the rooms are small. Too many melee can be an issue, make sure you have a few people with reach/ranged options.

On Trips/Grapples. I just finished running Strength of Thousands and I watched every solo fight in the campaign owned comprehensively by a Swashbuckler tripping the bad guys and then when he stood up, he ate up to three Opportunity Attacks from the Swashbuckler, Summoner and Rogue. It was reliable and worked in all fights bar one.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Golems and Attack Spells are a really interesting wording case. Their weakness triggers when targeted with the spell, not when they are hit by the spell. I’ve never seen a clarification about this so if you have the right cantrip, you can consistently burn a Golem down even if you are missing all the time.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Ran Strength of Thousands, let people use any archetype that gave them spellcasting. Zero issues.

There are one or two minor mechanical bits where druids get an advantage, but its literally once or twice and it doesnt majorly affect anything.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

This is Paizo thinking WotC is still going to try and find a way to come at them about the OGL.

They also get to sell some new hardcovers, but this seems like a preemptive move. The Starfinder guys get very annoyed if you ask about Starfinder 2e, but this move feels like it makes a new Starfinder edition a priority.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

You can lean on just medicine and Lay on Hands for almost the entire game. So long as you go into every fight on full HP its usually fine with the following caveats.

1) Early game, combats are a bit swingier. At low levels, a chunky crit can put a character on the ground, later on the slightly different scaling of HP and damage means that stops happening, but initially its to be aware of.
2) Have two people with some in combat emergency healing, be it battle medicine, some on level healing potions or a few Heals prepared. You won’t need it every fight, but it’s very handy if you get a little unlucky. It’s worth buying a scroll or two of level 1 heal as starting equipment. Three actions to heal someone for 1d8+8 is super worth it at level 1 or 2.
3) Don’t try and have one character tank all the damage, unless someone has bad AC, its fine for a wizard to eat a few Strikes from some bad guys, the parties HP is a group resource.

Toughest fight we’ve ever had was early game in extinction curse where our party of five ran into three magic leopards who each crit one of the front liners on round 1 and just action economied us to a near TPK. The fight ended with the sorcerer as the last man standing hitting a desperation colour spray that the last leopard crit failed his save on.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Some of the fights in Abomination Vaults take place in some quite small rooms and corridors, if your party is melee heavy, try not to jam them in a doorway where only 1 or 2 of them can fight at a time or suggest they retreat a few squares to give other characters space to get stuck in.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Rescue Toaster posted:

I mean I'll concede that my players don't really have the hang of pf2e tactics.

But also I'm hearing "Oh your party didn't plan their characters and progression to have synergy and debuf for each other? And they aren't setup to kite bosses endlessly while still dealing damage? Get rekt."

And my problem isn't the boss's -10 MAP attack, it's the -0 attack that crits like crazy and drops every character except a tank to dying 2 instantly from full health. The squishies are definitely not just hanging out next to monsters, but always staying past two move actions to deny even a single attack for the entire fight isn't always possible.

EDIT: To be clear, I did kick this off by specifying that Foundry is absolutely trying to loving kill my players. Crit crit crit crit crit crit crit for the first 4 sessions. I've never seen so many crits in 20+ years of playing D&D. Both the barbarian and any of the solo/duo monsters have just been absolutely going insane with crits. If there's not at least one crit every round it's extremely unusual.

The game is definitely a bit swingier in the early game where a dangerous monsters crit deletes the majority of a characters HP and if dice are hot, dice are hot. I'd always advise goosing the party with a few on level scrolls of Heal for situations like that in the early game. A big crit is scary stuff, but when a healer then takes their turn to add back 1d8+8 or 2d8+16 hp to the character who took the crit, all of a sudden it looks more manageable. The big thing to get across is that an on level Heal is a tremendous midcombat tool. It is not for between encounters, its for rewinding an enemies turn. It's your ohshit button, get them to think of it like that.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Rescue Toaster posted:

Unfortunately nobody can use any healing items at all because of the abject stupidity of listening to the internet saying "Oh it's ok, you don't need a dedicated divine healer, medicine is great!"

I mean, it's sort of true in the sense everybody dies in one round, often in one hit, so there's no time/chance to heal anybody in combat anyway. Wand of healing, scrolls of heal, etc... can't be used without a divine or primal caster. Potions are fine except it does require a character living an entire round after taking damage.

Medicine also only works in combat if the damage is spread around, due to the battle medicine cooldown. Except if the damage is being 'spread around' that means characters are dropping left and right since nobody except a dedicated martial/tank can take more than one hit.

You don’t need a caster able to pop heal, its just a handy training wheel for PF2 as you internalise the game. What’s the party? No primal or occult caster either?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Its a perfectly human reaction to be annoyed when something you’d internalised about a system or setting is changed primarily because of “Legal shenanigans beyond our control”

The new stuff could be better, could be worse, we’ll have to see.

I do hope this leads to a bit more of a systemisation of what info you get from Recall Knowledge, people can’t clutch on scale colour for damage types anymore.

We tend towards generous info from Recall Knowledge in our games, (we also have it reveal the creatures Health Bar in Foundry) but I know some GMs are a lot more tight lipped.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Re: Three Kobolds, One Coat. You could grab the Beastmaster or Cavalier Archetype and just use that as one of your kobolds with a little refluffing. Or do Summoner and Beastmaster/Cavalier and have three Kobolds fighting and coating as one.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Seems solid, I’d consider giving it an alternate multiple eye beam attack at a 2 or 3 action threshold that beams multiple targets so you have a choice on your turn. I don’t see ranges on its eye beam attacks, either of them. Not a big deal really.

Its also fairly slow, ranged attack heavy and has no way to get out of melee bar slowly floating upwards. AoO spam will murder it. So unless you want to have it play keep away by floating out of melee range, give it an option for getting out of melee on some kind of cooldown. Maybe it expels gas out of its mouth jetting backwards with a bonus to AC or not provoking reactions.

HidaO-Win fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 16, 2023

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

A brilliant basic winning strategy in PF2 is one character knocking down a bad guy with 3 people in range who get to shout "Free Digs!" when they stand back up. I watched it carry a Strength of Thousands campaign to victory.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

What are the 2e rules for sleeping in armor? And what's the best recommendation for a fighter's options for sleeping in armor? Just did a scenario where I had to wake up in the middle of the night and feels like I should have some plans in case it ever comes up again.

My brain went straight to Wand of Instant Armor and Trick Magic Item the skill feat. You can also grab a level 2 Wand of Longstrider as a skill feat for +10 status bonus to speed is pretty good.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

You have to readjust your perceptions of success to understand why spellcasters are great in boss fights.

First of all, generally speaking, most fights in Pathfinder 2e take 3 rounds. Boss fights, particularly if they are severe can go longer, but most of the time they are 3 rounds. So, a single tough opponent probably has 9 actions during its lifespan. Many of these are spent on high efficiency actions that pack 3 actions worth of stuff into 2 actions, so every action they get is precious.

Secondly, the way a single higher level boss is a threat to a party is the four degrees of success system. Higher level mobs are harder to hit, thus harder to crit and are more likely to save and crit save against basic saves.

If you go in expecting to hit a boss with a max level spell and delete them you will get badly disappointed. Your plan has to be hitting a boss with a spell and expecting them to successfully save against your spell. So the effect of the spell on a successful save has to be worthwhile to bother with it. Sometimes that’s half damage, sometime that’s something that takes an action off them this turn, Slow 1, Stunned 1, a wall they need to smash down, whatever. It doesnt seem like much, but if they fight is only lasting 3 rounds and you take 3 actions of them, you’ve cost them a third of their actions over the course of the fight and their actions are a lot better than your actions.

If you get frustrated by bosses saving against your stuff, grab some buff and heal spells. Nothing makes a tough fight easier than a caster popping an on level heal spell into a melee character after a boss has brutalised them for a round. You spend two actions to negate two-three of the bosses and you keep your allies 3 actions up for another round of combat.

Casters are great in boss fights, they just can’t solo them outside of some edge case poor rolling.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Tewdrig posted:

I am gm in the beginner box game with the family, and we just had our second session yesterday.

One kid is the cleric and is pretty disappointed in the class. While the rogue and fighter are popping off big damage numbers, the cleric missed the kobold with only 1hp remaining, got absolutely mauled by it on a critical hit, and then missed again on the next turn, before one of the other characters came over to help. Then after the fight, they failed their medicine check to treat wounds and had to use a spell. Just felt like a big failure.

Is there a way to make a level 1 cleric more fun? I am fine bending the rules in favor of fun, as others have suggested for the casters. Apart from healing up after battles, we have had a couple engagements where the cleric just isn't worthwhile during the fight. If there are any other actions they could be using, I'm open to it, as maybe we are missing something about their utility.

Most of a Clerics power budget is wrapped up in Healing Font. A lot of the time a tough monster with a lucky turn can delete a good chunk of a characters HP, maybe even put them to dying. A Cleric can spend 2 actions and undo all that monsters work. Midcombat healing is where Cleric shines, nobody has as much of that available, they are the "ohshit" button of PF2e. The big advantage is good or neutral can select any other spells they like as they always have the Font there to do healing for them.

Now, low level casters tend to lean on their cantrips and cleric attack cantrips are mostly bad. They are improving in revised edition, but take a look and maybe give the cleric a top rank attack cantrip like Electric Arc in the meanwhile. Maybe give them a scroll or two of Purifying Icicle? Level 1 attack spells are sadly poor, you are much better off rocking Magic Weapon in your spell slots at 1st level.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Arivia posted:

Yep, that’s Reign of Winter for 1e. It has the amazing art of the iconic gunslinger getting an early mounted machine gun and just going ham with it while she grins like a fiend.

It's fine art.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

We had a wild shape Druid in Extinction Curse and the main value they had was as a pinch hitter. Against multiple foes it was casting AoEs and buff spells. Come up against a single tough foe and they animal formed into something big and went toe to toe. Incredibly flexible character.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

First impressions

Big buff to Focus points with no more point cap and Refocus being unlimited.
Small nerf to wizards spell selection.
Produce Flame nee Ignition seems to have caught a small damage nerf if the caster is maxing their casting stat. Odd as cantrips were not setting the world ablaze.
Really hope Thunderstrike is not an updated Shocking Grasp as thats Magus workhorse spell and that is not big downgrade for them.
Psychics will need a revisit with the base form of their cantrips changed.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

There has been a clarification that there is a hard 3 focus point cap elsewhere in the rules. However recharge is still improved, so I’ll take it.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

I wonder if Paizo is looking at Hex (The Magic Clone MMO, RIP King) and leaving them no angles of attack by changing anything that is too close to OGL content that could be used in a similar lawsuit.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

gurragadon posted:

I really hate damage cantrips and wish they would just get rid of them. I don't know why they just don't base them off physical attacks. Cantrips are two actions, and an attack is one action. I know about MAP penalty but there is no option for casters to try with it. Physical attackers can gamble with three attacks, spellcasters cant with cantrips. They want cantrips to be the fallback choice, but they feel like a wasted turn.

Have them do shortbow/longbow damage and scale like that. Give spellcasters all the ways to improve their attacks that non magical players can. Let spellcasters gamble with MAP.

I would say that they won’t do this because damage cantrips, as much as they underperform, at least feel a bit different mechanically to attacking with a longbow.
They don’t want the classes to all have identical to hit modifiers and identical damage as that cuts into choice and makes everyone feel samey. This is I feel the rational behind some of the funkier martials like Inventor starting with 16 in their attack stat.
Additionally, cantrips being below a martials strikes in damage is intentional, so that spell slots can outperform a martials strikes.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Going into a single tough foe at low levels without healing is working high wire without a net basically. The bad guy rolls well at all and someone is suddenly dying and winning the fight just became significantly harder.

Everyone buying a scroll of Heal for 4gp and handing them to the cleric is good advice for low levels.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

A Tome of Battle/Path of War martial would probably be a martial with a set Focus Point spells to replicate special maneuvers. You will end up mechanically fairly similar to the Magus doing that. If you want more at will martial moves, that's basically the Fighter.

What would be the critical aspect of a ToB/PoW martial for you?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Sword and Board fighter can be incredibly simple to run for a GM. Grab Sudden Charge and round 1 just Raise a Shield and Sudden Charge. Take Intimidating Glare and training in Intimidate and they can then just either Demoralise + Strike + Raise a Shield every turn or even just Strike + Strike + Raise a Shield. Demoralise helps set up the rest of the crew.

Attack of Opportunity either locks mobs in place or gives them a free attack if they move off. Aggressive Block, Shielded Stride and Advanced Weapons are fine later pick ups, Aggressive Block lets you flat foot the guy in melee for the ranged to pick off, Shielded Stride lets you Raise and Shield and Sudden Charge with no worries and Advanced Weapons lets them get a Falcata as a weapon upgrade.

Simple to run, supports well, soaks up hits, party will love them.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

I will say Aid becomes amazing at higher levels, my Magus often gets an Aid for +3 from a Swashbuckler, which significantly ups the crit rate.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Have any of your party members popped off with "by gawd he's got a steel maul!" because if not they're slacking

The key thing is to try and take some feats that help you bury other characters with long blonde hair and try and marry the GMs daughter.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Blood Ooze was originally published in Fall of Plaguestone, the first PF2e adventure where the system hadn't been totally finalized yet.

You are likely level 2 when you fight it, it's got a nasty reputation as a result. Good chance you fight it and another level 4 monster at the same time.

Did a podcast about this particular encounter actually https://theadventuringparty.libsyn.com/death-save-mar-2021-deadliest-encounters-the-sculptor

If you know what to do while fighting this, which is stay 30 feet away and pepper it with ranged attacks, the fight is manageable. If you move into melee with it, character(s) can be in for a nasty shock, a crit on the main attack and potentially a crit fail on the fort save for Siphon Vitality and you can be looking at a character on the ground and then you need to move in and retrieve them, a maneuver that can get complicated.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

An advanced gaming skill is recognising when to play your character/class and when to play the scenario.

Learning that lesson can be painful, but when confronted with a scenario where your particular set of abilities aren’t suitable, its time to think about what else you could do.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Pharasma being killed by a returning Aroden would pop me a lot.

Gozreh seems to be a decent bet as maybe a climate change allusion.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

I find Sayres long threads on the background of PF2es design choices to be fairly illuminating.

Paizo had a team with a number of people who think deeply about RPG design and were willing to do the math, which I appreciate greatly. I know it might not be to everyones taste, but I think it matters when the work gets put in.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Thanks again for the information, everyone. Was just wondering how, if alignment isn't a thing anymore, how this would impact realms, Outsiders, etc.. I guess if Law nd Chaos is still a thing Hell and the Abyss would still be against each other, etc... But then there's also "Evil" nations like Irrisen, Geb, Nidal, etc.. Dunno what becomes of them, either. I guess

Also this is super lore poo poo but I'm a big Zon-Kuthon fan. Despite that, I never heard about the idea Zon-Kuthon existed in the previous universe like Pharasma and then this fragment of him possessed Dou-Bral. This isn't in any of the books I've read and apparently it's only based on this guy's interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85dKiL51pGE&t=876s

This isn't in any of the 1e books that I can recall and I checked Gods and Magic which I believe is the latest book on PF deities(?) and it wasn't there, either. Dunno if it's really worth anything but it came up in a thread I made discussing Zon-Kuthon on Reddit. Wonder if this is like the dude from Elder Scrolls who had all sorts of big ideas which never actually were used in the games' lore.

I checked the Nidal book after looking at the interview and it states that Dou-Bral encountered an unspeakable horror that turned him into Zon-Kuthon and that the Usk Lake shows glimpses of the space between the stars where Zon-Kuthon shed his previous self and became the Prince of Pain.

So they never state what was the thing that changed him, so it could just be the secret that what changed Dou-Bral into Zon-Kuthon was in fact Zon-Kuthon. It’s a terribly funky bit of lore with implications about how cyclical the Pathfinder universe is. Probably why they haven’t stated it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

The Slack Lagoon posted:

That BB dragon fight is rough.

At low levels, any boss fight against a higher level creature is rough. A single crit can put someone down and they have an excellent chance of critting and you just have less resources to use. Particuarly with a creature with pushed action economy like a dragon.

As you get up in level, your hp scales faster than your damage, so a single crit is not the potential disaster it is at lower levels, but early on things can be rough.

My 90% TPK encounter is a party of 4 level 1s vs a Barbazu in narrow confines. Its technically an extreme encounter, but i don't see it as a winnable one unless the party really knows what they are doing.