Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Apologies in advance, I searched for a Starfinder thread and the only one I found was archived from 2018. Which might actually answer my question:

Is Starfinder any good?

I have the big rear end rulebook, and I've kinda gone through it, but it's dense. Opinions around the Internet seem mixed, but almost universally negative on space combat. I don't know if that's fixed in later sourcebooks or not.

I was hoping for something more universal, butt he lore is kind of neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Chevy Slyme posted:

Butt he lore.

Heh.

Starfinder is cool. The rule system often feels like the first tentative steps away from 3.5 towards what 2e became, but it’s definitely way more rooted in that old PF1e design ethos so your patience with that may vary. The lore is in fact extremely neat. Space combat rules do, in fact, absolutely suck.

You can grab the main lore sourcebook for starfinder (Pact Worlds, the SF equivalent of the Lost Omens World Guide for PF) for free on Paizo dot com rn w/ code OPENGAMING; https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6si8g

Fun typos!

And thanks, free books are always nice. Is there some kind of alternate space combat system? I'm not sure if I even care, if I'd use it for that or not, but I figured if there are enough complaints about it, someone may have fixed it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

OgreNoah posted:

Hey, so I love Starfinder, and if you're interested and available, I'll be running an intro society scenario next Thursday Feb 16 at 7pm EST. I can send you the link. It will take 3-4 hours.

Yeah, shoot it over!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

My Pappy used XP just like his Pappy before him!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah just write 'em down like Spider-Man

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

sugar free jazz posted:

Slimes can be tripped, skeletons can bleed. as long as they’re not expressly immune it happens. If you can’t think of a way for a skeleton to bleed then you’re playing the game wrong.

They clearly do not:

PF2E Rules posted:

Bleed Damage
Another special type of physical damage is bleed damage. This is persistent damage that represents loss of blood. As such, it has no effect on nonliving creatures or living creatures that don't need blood to live.

They don't need the immunity listed because it's already a part of the damage type.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

sugar free jazz posted:

PCs get different benefits than NPCs. The stat blocks spell out what they do and do not get in terms of bonuses and penalties of the ancestry. Everyone has seen the bleed rule and it doesn’t change that PCs and NPCs are treated differently purely for balance reasons by design.

I admit I'm new to Pathfinder, and maybe there's some sidebar I missed somewhere, but I don't understand the relevance here. The rule for bleeding itself says it does not affect non-living creatures. Undead PCs, despite being PCs, are non-living creatures.

Even with the altered benefits, nothing in there says they are treated as living; quite the opposite!

Book of the Dead posted:

UNDEAD ORIGINS
You can't become undead withough dying first [...].

I mean I guess this is why games need a GM, but it seems pretty straightforward to me. It obviously isn't, as this thread and hundreds more on both the Paizo forums and Reddit (and in the Pathfinder Discord!) can attest to.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Chevy Slyme posted:

I appreciate that the core rules include this important sentence:

Yes, and this is probably the most important rule in any game.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

I think moving expert/master/legendary spellcasting training a few levels earlier would go a long way to making casters feel better without making them the overwhelmingly dominating force they were in 5e. It's already a relatively larger amount of work to optimize your spell selection so that you have things that can be effective against all 3 saves, and your proficiency making your spells less likely to land vs a fighter's hits along with also doing much less damage is just blah. Yes, yes, I know spells generally all still have some effect on a successful saving throw, but that's poor recompense when you hit a 200hp boss for 7 damage.

I think wizards getting faster proficiencies to make them the fighters of spellcasters in exchange for the clumsy spell selection system is reasonable.

I like this idea a lot. It really would differentiate the wizards from other casters well.

Not sure how early, but it's a thought.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The GM can decide, really.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, Pathfinder says you can't sell on Pathfinder Infinite if you use AI Art. That's too bad, but they're not going to be able to put the toothpaste back in the tube on this one. Eventually they'll capitulate.

Why would they capitulate? They're full of artists.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's not a balance thing, they're explicitly not "more powerful"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arrrthritis posted:

That being said, I don't think it's something that's too big of an issue (Abomination Vaults book 3 spoilers) Reading ahead, it looks like there's a Drow outpost on level 8 that they can purchase better items from. If you didn't want the town to be too much of a mechanic you can just let them purchase the better goods from there.

That's actually down on ||level 9, which is almost the end||.

I think using couriers or party trips during downtime is probably fine.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The bow is the weapon, not the arrow. A good that deals extra damage must impart its magic on the arrow, otherwise it wouldn't work except by bashing enemies with it.

E.g., a bow that does an additional 1d6 fire damage is imparting that fire magic to the arrow.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=733

"Rune-etched armor and weapons have the same Bulk and general characteristics as the non-magical version unless noted otherwise."

That means yes, the runes make the weapon magical.

E: The answer above is better

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Are Recall Knowledge checks supposed to be secret?

I was reading various posts about RK in general, and a lot of them say it's supposed to be, but even the ones that apparently quote the rules didn't match what's in my particular rulebook (or AoN). Did they update the rules at some point, or am I missing something?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oh right, tags. I always forget about tags.

The wording "you attempt a skill check" implies the player rolling, which is what confused me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think the benefit of the secret roll, at least for RK, is that the player won't know whether they succeeded or not, they'll just get information. And maybe that info is right, but maybe it's wrong. Just like a real person.

If they roll it themselves, and get a poo poo roll, they're going to doubt that info.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Andrast posted:

The Recall knowledge rules are something I most dislike in 2e so I'm very happy to ignore the secret tag for it tbh

Huh.

They're one of the things I like the most.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This is why GMs exist, really.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

So is BKOM any good? Or is this just gonna be some kind of MOBA/Gacha thing?

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6si9w?Paizo-Partners-with-BKOM-on-Two-Pathfinder-Games

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Mister Olympus posted:

I don't think the build variety is there at all. Current-day Paizo really likes classes to stay in their lane. If they deleted skill feats and made Free Archetype a standard rule I think it'd be closer to true, but another reason i mentioned people drifting to A5E is it does stuff like have specific subclasses for any given combination of two base classes, and that's the kind of thing PF1/3.5 had where PF2 didn't really

But also that's a big matter of preference; it's much better for balance in PF2 that there's such a tight range of possibilities on what any given class can accomplish.

Are there people who don't play with Free Archetype? It seems pretty much the standard at this point.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

But also their site is just fine

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6siae?Pathfinder-Second-Edition-Remaster-Project

A remaster is coming! No more OGL, and no more alignment (but pretty sure it'll be replaced by something similar).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

HidaO-Win posted:

This is Paizo thinking WotC is still going to try and find a way to come at them about the OGL.

They also get to sell some new hardcovers, but this seems like a preemptive move. The Starfinder guys get very annoyed if you ask about Starfinder 2e, but this move feels like it makes a new Starfinder edition a priority.

I want a Starfinder 2e.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

On the Roll For Combat stream, Erik Mona said that classes that require alignments will basically just use Edicts and Anathemas, and there will be Holy and Unholy for things too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

FishFood posted:

Interesting, it's not as catastrophic as I was worried about. I'll be sad to see the Froghemoth go, but most of the others seem relatively easily replaceable or renameable.

You can still use the Froghemeth, and any of the others. They just won't be in any future publications.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lamuella posted:

I'd imagine if they were going to do a 2e ruleset in a crpg they'd give Owlcat first bite of the cherry, and it looks like Owlcat are still putting out dlc for Wrath of the Righteous, so we might be a while.

Owlcat has said they don't have any interest in a 2e game, I think. I know I read it somewhere somewhat reliable.

And they're currently working on Rogue Trader anyway.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

In terms of getting a good feel for GMing 2e, is the beginners set/adventure as good as anything? Or any particular suggestions?

Context: I haven’t GMed in a few years, but have done it on and off for other systems including D&D 4e and Savage Worlds

Yeah, it's great.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Supports the Trevor Project
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/starfinder-solidarity-bundle-paizo-inc-books

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Scrap Dragon posted:

Any advice for someone running Abomination Vaults for the first time? This'll also be my first time running Pathfinder and I'll be running it for people who have only ever played 5e before

Take your time. Learn together.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Looks like we're getting a book next year with 6 new ancestries, including minotaurs and centaurs.

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6siay?Grandmother-s-Story-Part-5-The-Howl-of-the-Wild

(Scroll down through the story.)

E: Hoping this means we get other big ancestries like half-giant.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 12, 2023

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Also I haven't found that to be the case at all. Obviously there's some party comp that matters (e.g., the party can't be all ranged casters), but only in the loosest sense. And the few times I've had players go down in AV is because they weren't bothering with tactics, they were just doing the D&D thing where you run straight in and hope for the best.

Encounters per day just doesn't matter. Take 10-20 minutes to treat wounds and refocus, then move on. Use those cantrips. Use wands and scrolls.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

New players to RPGs and D&D 5e'ers who play brain-dead need to be coached, that's your job as DM.

Yep. Lots of prodding and reminders, even though sometimes it feels somewhat overbearing, as they're all new to Pathfinder.

"You know if you moved one more square over, they'd be flanked, and therefore flat-footed...."

"Don't forget you can use Lay on Hands and then refocus to use it again before you open that door."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Has anyone used the Pathfinder Nexus Alpha character builder? Looks like it's moving to beta soon. I'm curious how it compares to Pathbuilder?

My understanding is you'll have to rebuy the sourcebooks on their platform (admittedly with a discount if you own the PDFs already), which automatically loses out to Pathbuilder for me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hell yeah!

https://twitter.com/PaizoWorkers/status/1659320090532413441

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lost Omens: World Guide

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah go check out the Lost Omens books and pick one that strikes your fancy.

I really wish I had more disposable income so I could buy stuff like the Grand Bazaar, because so far while there's always quibbles the overall Lore is really great at facilitating roleplay in the Adventures I've run.

I went a little nuts when I dropped 5e and picked up Pathfinder

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Also, DPR isn't a great way to really measure usefulness in Pathfinder

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/1397y60/michael_sayre_paizo_design_manager_says_that_dpr/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/13aa7wf/mark_seifter_pf2_cocreator_roll_for_combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Although Warcraft is attempting it again soon