Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Don't forget the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Mwangi is prominently featured in at least two adventure paths and there's a guide. Efb

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

So I'm delving into Pathfinder for the first time as I've got a game coming up for it. Most of it seems relatively understandable (or at least close enough that I'll figure it out from play) but there's a few of the classes I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.

- I just cannot figure out how the Alchemist works. There's lots of references to reagents (both infused and not) and formulas but I can't seem to actually find what any of those are.

- The Investigator similarly doesn't seem to make sense. Is it just meant as an out of combat skill monkey? It seems like it would be pretty useless in anything but an Investigator/specific campaign.

- The Witch is also throwing me. I think I get the basics of how it operates, but I can't figure out what role it would serve in a group. It seems just like it trades getting a better than average familiar for being a kind of crappy Wizard.

Formulas are part of item rules. Alchemists need formula for anything they make. https://pf2easy.com/tree/index.php?id=6318&name=Formulas I'm pretty sure reagents is just a generic in game term for ingredients of alchemical formulae specifically. Infused reagents are just the daily free ones you get to have daily free alchemy items. Otherwise, you have to buy the reagents to craft permanent items.

Edit- yes. https://pf2easy.com/tree/index.php?id=1024&name=alchemy#! explains how Alchemical Crafting works.

Investigator is a boss killer. He uses his pre-roll free against them and optimizes his actions accordingly.

Witch has access to other spell lists depending on patron, where wizards use arcane. It's how you become an occult caster without being a bard, mostly. Our witch (We have a beastmaster monk, an occult witch, a barbarian, and my wit/throwing swashbuckler) uses my bonmot to help debuff enemies, nukes, and heals in a pinch.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 2, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I like down time in age of ashes

They give you specific things to do during it to improve your house that I assume will eventually come under siege.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah.

There's some fun juggle/throw stuff for flying blade wit guys but you don't need juggle to do it.

Juggle basically lets you convert actions into extra hands, as I understand it

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Awesome, thanks for the help guys! I think that doing something unique and flavourful is more valuable than combat effectiveness to this person, and I do not consider that a problem, so I'll not mention it and be a little more liberal with panache. If they feel unhappy with their performance down the line, I'll suggest retraining juggle and possibly leaving it as a flavour-only informed ability that the character has.

If you want to let them do juggling for panache I'd suggest a custom feat to add a check a la One For All.

Oh you said wit. Juggler dedication is cool. Juggler still feat is lame.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 23, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mechayahiko posted:

Summons and Pets requiring your actions to use and sharing your MAP

They don't share MAP, except Summoner eidelon and mounts

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think you can use the command action multiple times.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That still supports multiple commands with multiple minions

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
My gm has been very generous with our beastmaster monk then. I thought he seemed overpowered

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

5-Headed Snake God posted:

I've got a rules question for y'all. I'm playing an undead bloodline sorcerer in a Blood Lords game, and since most of the party has negative healing, I'm the group's primary healer. My question is: when I cast Harm to restore HP, does my bloodline's blood magic effect increase the healing?

Blood magic effect adds negative damage I'm going to go check the effect of that converts negative damage to healing for undead but it should work that way yes

"It does not take negative damage, and it is healed by negative effects that heal undead."

RAW, sorcerer bloodline ability is not explicitly a negative effect that heals undead

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 7, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Toshimo posted:

That said, a lot of the time, Aid doesn't help. It's a Circumstance bonus, and if they're already getting a Circumstance bonus from another source, the Aid may not do anything at all.

There's a rule about not stacking circumstance bonuses right? I couldn't find it when I was trying to tell our gunslinger about it

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The best feat in pathfinder is the one that lets you shout encouragement for aid, though it is hard to constantly come up with fun new things to shout

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 17, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Just do some behind the scenes fudging of the monsters absolute HP as the fight progresses. Or play it less as a monster and more as a tactical combat game where you're trying to murder the players. 50% more players means 50% more valid targets for AOE abilities

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Careful though. It's not as bad as what I've read about 5e but I've definitely had a level zero animated towel crit my level one player for half of HP on the first round of combat

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Psi butst is available as a feat through the basic thoughtform dedication feat, but can't be used

Terrible :(

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 22, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

sugar free jazz posted:

what exactly is happening in this stat block

https://2e.aonprd.com/Monsters.aspx?ID=827

does the tick swarm really use Cling and deal 1d6 damage to itself every time it uses a damaging action

does it only use Cling once a turn when it has a reaction and then it just.....doesn't have a reaction anymore?

I'm very confused

Not when it uses a damaging action, the reaction trigger is a creature moving out of a space the swarm covers. This is most likely happening on a players turn.

The regular attack is

quote:

Swarming Bites Each enemy in the swarm's space takes 3d6 piercing damage (DC 28 basic Reflex save) plus Cling and exposure to tick fever.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 8, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Somehow I read the whole thing and didn't see that it also uses Cling on attack. Since the whole thing is a gimmick I would use it on every single enemy hit each time they are hit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's a halfliing feat for that

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's reasonable that elves won't have as many jacked bodybuilders but thats no reason to limit a player from making his elf bodybuilder just as jacked as any other

Sub any ancestry with a str flaw there.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What parts of PF fall under OGL?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm pretty sure you can't protect a games rules generally but maybe this is a better question for the legal people and the legal thread

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Just roll a Swashbuckler, the Loud Rogues

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

HidaO-Win posted:

So long as you have a 16 or 18 in the stat you are using to attack people with, your character in PF2 is viable.
Nearly all the classes are good and the main difference in effectiveness is player skill and teamwork.

I had a 16 dex rogue once and would not recommend. Fortunately DM was generous with retraining when APG came out and now he's a perfect swashy

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Iirc spiritual weapon is reliable. There's all sorts of ways to mess up mindless undead of course but for most things nothing beats a good smack in the face

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 14, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

I didn't see the original question answered, and am wondering the same, myself: How amenable are the adventure paths to picking them up in the middle? I'm guessing not very, but I'm very new to PF2e as well.

You could probably sum up how players got to a certain spot or fudge fights for a while if the goal is to let them start with more tricks.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Level tuning easy to fudge in the moment. They don't know if that was gonna happen

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I've never done it but it should be fine. I think you would just give one account logged in as player all of the characters

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kwolok posted:

I have heard a ton of opposing opinions on pathfinder. That is has more freedom, that is has more rules, that is has more freedom because it has more rules. I am not really sure what to expect, and reading the 640 page manual seems daunting. So I guess my question is, for someone who is often times bad and gets confused as to how DnD wants me to do things so we just kind of wing it, is pathfinder a good framework for that style of play? Is it worse? Is it more confusing then DnD's already confusing ruleset?

"more freedom because more rules" makes sense to me. 5e Combat was vague and "kite and or/hit" seemed to be the only options. Having only played a little of it, I tried googling rules on Intimidating enemies in combat and found this discussion where a GM was concerned that his player spamming it was too powerful and respondents weren't sure it's even valid to do. https://dungeonmasterblock.freeforums.net/thread/2382/intimidate-combat. Sometimes people prefer to have some of these rules set in advance, and pathfinder has lots. Its specifies which scores are hurt and by how much when you are knocked over, smell a skunk monster, or are reduced to a quivering puddle by a critical hit from a Fear spell.

Pathfinder combat is way more interesting than 5e combat. There's a lot of stuff players can do to synergize and teamwork can be useful or even mandatory depending on encounter tuning. Instead of a "move action" and "real action", you have 3 actions and Multiple Attack Penalty. MAP does what it says on the tin, subsequent attacks in a round are less likely to hit. But you can always go for a third attempt to punch the dragon. Some classes get ways to reduce MAP. Some classes get powerful abilities using multiple actions. Many spells take all three actions to cast. There are many boring but efficient martial powers like "two attacks for one action, MAP doesn't increase until after both attacks" or "two moves and one attack for two actions."

There's the rogue, who gets bonus damage against flat-footed enemies. Flatfooted means easier to hit, with a -2 AC. Characters can be flatfooted against a specific character (such as a hidden rogue), attack, or everything. Grappling, tripping or knocking down to render the enemy prone, and flanking are someways flatfoot. So rogues do best if there's a fighter getting in the enemy's face (so to speak, there's not a directional facing system) on the other side.

Then the Advanced Players Guide came out and introduced the swashbuckler. Instead of getting the bonus damage he needs from being sneaky, he gets it from being SHOWY. Swashbucker can activate a buff called panache which gives him move speed, a small damage bonus, a little something extra at higher levels, and lets him use powerful finisher attacks which consume the buff. Swashbuckler gains panache by moving through an enemy space with a successful dexterity check, or applying one of the four styles. Gymnasts get panache by being buff and doing buff guy things (grapple, trip, shove). Wit distract enemies with cruel insults, leaving them vulnerable to further mental/emotional manipulation by warlocks or whoever. Braggarts demoralize foes, while fencers try to use feints or distractions to make them flatfooted.

Then there's feats. You get a lot of feats and ways to spend them. There are way too many archetypes and archetype feats, it's awesome. There's a lot of rules for cool extra things your character can do. There's a vigilante archetype that gives various batman bonuses like a secret identity or a surprise attack that you can upgrade with additional feats to demoralize or even stun other enemies nearby.

There are rules for jugglers , magic throwing cards, and being the guy who hits people with chairs, rocks, whatever is at hand. This lets you have cool poo poo going on that is already balanced, instead of the GM having to figure out fair numbers.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 24, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The big thing about investigator is you need a GM willing to be creative/cooperative and occasionally give you leads on the boss or upcoming named mooks. Moreso than other classes there is a narrative hook that a good GM really contributes to.

They are top tier boss killers because they *should* be getting a free pre-roll against the boss before deciding what to hit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I like using pathbuilder but I use the easy sheet and aeon a lot

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's nice that you can just be a nature Sorc if that's your bag.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What's increasing the die size? I'm not seeing anything for that.

Generally a die size is +1 damage so if someone got capped out and I was gming I would just do that.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 30, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
While I think it's a very well balanced game I generally suggest everyone always complain to their GMs to allow changes that sound cool and kind of makes sense

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Stealth and climbing in PF2E I find to be inordinately complicated but also it makes sense that they would be difficult, because those are difficult things to actually do.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Roadie posted:

Stealth is actually very straightforward, it's just written in an awful way that spreads it across multiple parts of the book. Take a look at my mechanically equivalent but better-edited version of the stealth rules.

This owns, thanks.

Climbing is straightforward too, really. You just have to constantly pass checks.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Juggle thaum

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Get the Crafter to go with non-sleeping ancestry and you can kind of fudge the rest

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The armor is weird because it looks like a spell but its not. I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
How overpowered is it as an indefinite effect compared to other specialized "make me less squishy" powers?

Rules as written it's a feat where you put on magic armor and can't put it on again until tomorrow, if removed

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 7, 2023