Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hello friends the D&D drama has made me look at pathfinder and now my group is really excited to try it out and maybe do an AP, i am excited. Just grabbed the beginner box, and then we'll look at whats available for a campaign and dive right in. I'm a DM so yay for having a ton of work ahead learning something new buuuuut poo poo, just reading the feats and stuff things seem so much more dynamic than 5e, especially martials.

I may try and steer them towards kingmaker beacuse i played and beat the game and loved it, so i have some of that inbuilt knowledge lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

KPC_Mammon posted:

You can pretty seamlessly go from the beginner box to a combination of Abomination Vaults and Troubles in Otari. Each chapter of the Otari book can be used as town-based filler between delves into the vaults.

Ok awesome, that may be a better idea before diving into something as huge as kingmaker.

Is 3 an OK party size for PF2E? We made 5E work, we have a 4th that sometimes plays but usually its 3 players and me DM.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i am quickly discovering how much is involved in DMing a system i've never played before. But man this beginner box owns and so far im kinda loving the systems, this 3 action setup is dope.

it seems like encounter building is easier too?

queeb fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 15, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

does foundry work well as a in-person VTT? I'm thinking of building a nice like, 55" tv enclosure built into our gaming table for when we start our new pathfinder campaign. something dope with fog of war and animated stuff to have some sweet battle maps and stuff.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ok, starting the beginner box this weekend, and then doing the troubles in otari/abomination vaults combination. Anyone have any suggestions on ways to splice them together nicely?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

So we just finished nearly the whole beginner box, about halfway through the 2nd level where you hit level 2 and for the most part everyone is loving it. our fighter and barbarian from 5e are playing a swashbuckler and barbarian here and just totally in love with all the combat options. Our usual spellcaster is playing an animal order druid, and i dont think shes really enjoying the spellcasting in this. only having 2 spells to prepare at level 1 and getting 1 cast of each without much flexibility and thats it is bumming her out, where in 5e she could have like 5+ spells prepared and cast 2 times but any of the spells prepared. Shes going to give it a shot though. likes having her raptor to command and run around, and ride at level 4

queeb fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 29, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

its my wife so if she's not having fun we'll have to go back to 5e or something, happy wife happy life, haha. But yeah our martals were like, fuckin pirouetting around for panache and stabbing for huge damage, wallrunning and jumping over stuff, and our barbarian went fury instinct and took the 2 action double move/attack feat and was zipping all over the place while raging to smack guys down, both also going for trips and intimidates and just having a blast. So A+ on how good martials feel.

We'll give it a go for a few weeks, through troubles in otari and abomination vaults, get some more levels on the druid and see how it goes. worst case we look at some other spellcasters and see what shakes out.

edit: i'll look at the flexible spellcasting archtype too.

queeb fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 29, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Honestly looking at the flexible spellcasting archtype, even that would work with un nerfed spell slots because really, we're coming from 5e where casters are OP as poo poo anyways, if our druid has 3 1st level spell slots she can flex cast from, its not the end of the world, and we only have one caster anyways so its not like if we had someone playing a wizard that would feel nerfed by not having that archtype. All in the name of fun, cause gently caress i was having fun trying to keep kobolds alive against the tactics that were going on. We'll keep going normally though for a few levels, not going to make any drastic changes like that until we play things as they should be for awhile.

queeb fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 29, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god drat i just saw the abomination vaults VTT page at https://foundryvtt.com/packages/pf2e-abomination-vaults

gently caress, i need to get my VTT setup for in person play, that'll make things so good.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Looks like cze/peku has foundry integration in one of the higher tiers

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gonna run the starter box on foundry with some friends who are pf2e newbies, and me a newbie to GMing on foundry so this should be fun!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I've wanted to GM kingmaker for a long time and now that it's on foundry, gonna get these guys comfortable in pf2e and then spin that up for the next couple years. They're my usual dnd group so they at least have the background of tabletop stuff

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man i picked up foundry to mess around with, potentially doing an online game with a group and holy gently caress its PF2E support is insane compared to 5e, ive been messing around in both systems and its like.. holy moly

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is there a post with everyones reccomended modules? ive found a bunch of helpful stuff but i imagine there's tons i dont have

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Megazver posted:

There is a 5e implementation that is similarly comprehensive, but it's :filez:

also yeah I found this as well, so thats pretty awesome, i guess there's just a poo poo ton of modules to download to get it to automate which is kinda offputting, but here I am with like 35 modules for pf2e already

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

sorry for the spam but wow, i added the beginner box into foundry and this is crazy, literally everything is here and set up perfectly.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Kyrosiris posted:

Yep, the automation and functionality is great.

Make sure you add the PF2e Workbench module for the superlative Basic Actions Macro button for your players. It streamlines all the actions people would do - the biggest IMO as a player is just a one-button "I want to Recall Knowledge" that gives the GM a prompt of what all the character has, lets them pick what to roll, etc.

holy crap thank you, this is amazing, i had it installed but didnt know this was a thing

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man one thing that's real nice about pf2e is its incredibly easy to convert any third party dnd campaigns over to pf2e with how easy it is doing balanced encounters and monster buiilding. one pf 5E's strengths is the huge amount of third party stuff, so its nice popping into that to grab some ideas

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im secretly getting all my players onto PF2E so that when the starfinder 2E playtest/game comes out its a quick transition into that. Im jonesing to do some sci-fi DMing lately

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ok one thing I will say, there was some grumbling about casters not being as good or fun from the people in my group that played wiz/sorc in dnd, but now that i've got them properly set up with scrolls, staffs and a couple wands, that grumbling has basically disappeared. you are able to do WAY more casting than dnd when you've got all that poo poo.

its weird coming from dnd where staffs and scrolls and poo poo arent as important. i totally admit I was kind of ignoring them because of that, but the more i read its like yeah, every caster needs to have that poo poo. my group is level 5 so being able to go up to 6 charges on a staff from the wizard burning a level 3 slot is dope.

having a wand of healing is really nice, just dropping that big aoe heal for free basically.

im really in love with pf2e

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/s/TUA0UvvTZW

Preview of one of the new commanders abilities.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

So my wife wants to get into pathfinder and wants to be a witch, I'm going to read all the remaster stuff for it but is there any traps she should avoid? She's going to do a mosquito witch.

Reading the familiar stuff and Jesus there's a ton of familiar abilities

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Thanks all!! Yeah I saw they gave the resentment witch familiar ability to mosquito witch, on top of mosquito witches really good Hex cantrip buzzing bites makes it seem really strong

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh also, is the battlezoo stuff good for pf2e? i see they have a bestiary and lots of cool looking stuff, plus a kickstarter finishing soon

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Chevy Slyme posted:

Battlezoo and Team+ stuff are the two most well regarded lines of third party PF2E content.

Battlezoo stuff in particular is mostly written by Mark Seifter who is one of the PF2E original designers, so, from a balance standpoint and an “understanding the goals of the system” standpoint, it’s all pretty bang on.

hell yeah, the bestiary looks dope, ill probably give it a look over and grab it later

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

poo poo i just saw that wizards of the coast was killing individual purchases on dnd beyond, i feel so spoiled just getting everything for free on AoN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

What's a good "starter campaign" for a group? I've run my players through beginner box and a couple one shots and everyone is feeling comfortable now. I'm looking to run an AP now for awhile before dabbling in some homebrew. I was checking out outlaws, and strength of thousands