Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Any word if Strength of Thousands is going to get an official Foundry module?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Paizo Foundry APs are so good it almost makes me wish my group would quit playing in person again lol

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm a player but don't really follow the behind the scenes stuff on these companies. Anyone have a tldr for what's going on?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

queeb posted:

does foundry work well as a in-person VTT? I'm thinking of building a nice like, 55" tv enclosure built into our gaming table for when we start our new pathfinder campaign. something dope with fog of war and animated stuff to have some sweet battle maps and stuff.

Works awesomely! I built a tv table a few years ago, and we use Foundry for maps/token reference and use minis on top of it. We still use physical dice too. Foundry is basically just for maps and effects, and it works perfectly for that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

oh god oh jesus oh god :sweatdrop:

could... could you just pull that table out a bit and push the laptop back oh god

Hah, that was a very temporary arrangement there. It's permanent home now is in the center of a ping pong table, with plenty of laptop space all around.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

kirtar posted:

Of course this would drop mere days after I bought some of the contents. Oh well it's still worthwhile.

Yeah I literally just bought the Abomination Vaults AP for Foundry at full price on Monday. Oh well, I thought it was a good deal at full price anyway.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

boxen posted:

I'm not reading this as including the Foundry VTTT software? Just the Foundry VTTT version of the Abomination Vaults AP?

Right, you still have to buy Foundry as a separate purchase.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Megazver posted:

TBH I think PF2e might be a bit much for a newbie GM. My personal stumbling block with it was that while the basic mechanics are pretty logical and functional, there is like a special rule and subsystem for everything, including many things I'd prefer to just do a simple ruling on.

Eh, pf2e was the first system I GM'd and it was fine. It definitely helps if the other players have read up a bit on the rules too. It doesn't really matter at all if you don't get things exactly right the first session out, as you play you'll get more comfortable and have a better handle on things. If you want to ignore a chunk of rules and just handle it more simply, there is zero reason you can't.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Any good youtube series out there for getting a handle on GMing a 2E campaign? Our group is finishing up a year+ stint in 5E Temple of Jing, and we are all eager to get back to PF. I'll be starting off with Beginner's Box and rolling into Abomination Vaults (have the Foundry modules for both). I thought I was going to have another month or two for prep, but it looks like we'll be starting this Friday night, so I'm in crunch mode.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lamuella posted:

Rules Lawyer is pretty good if kind of superdorky:

https://youtube.com/@TheRulesLawyerRPG

But honestly I'd go straight to the game designer Jason Buhlman who has some very good in depth videos about the mechanics of play.

https://youtube.com/@JasonBulmahn

Or for really bitesize chunks King Ooga Tonton has a "pathfinder in 7 minutes" series

https://youtube.com/@KingOogaTonTon

VikingofRock posted:

I'll leave the YouTube recs to others, but I wanted to say that the Beginner's Box is also meant to teach you how to GM pf2e, so don't worry about it too too much. My advice is to skim the "how to play" core rulebook chapter (plus the gamemastering chapter if you have time, but that's less urgent), and then just keep 2e.aonprd.com open so you can look up rules on the fly as you need them.

Gwaihir posted:

If you have the foundry modules, then there's really not much more you might need to do other than read through the journals for the scenes you're going to get to. I'd definitely join the pf2e foundry discord (https://discord.gg/pf2e ) too though, they have a good thread for all the current adventure paths that frequently brings up common issues or stuff to look out for.

This guy does decent if long videos about GMing the different adventure paths, so it's handy if you have time to burn on watching stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0dCLPKqLew

Thanks all, these will be great to throw on at work when things are slow. Our groups first foray into 2E I think we got a little too hand-wavey in certain areas and I want to make sure I have a firmer handle on the rules this time around.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My group is probably going to finish the Beginner Box mid-session tonight, and we're planning to roll right into Abomination Vaults. Does anyone know if I can have both APs open in Foundry at the same time? I'd just try it, but I don't want to risk screwing stuff up this close to the finish line and need to rebuild the world if it doesn't work.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

You should be able to just import AV in to your existing game, it'll just add everything you need in to a new folder for scenes, actors, etc.

After posting I realized I could just spin up a new world and test it myself without messing with the existing one. Worked just fine, so I'll go ahead and import that before the session tonight.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Arivia posted:

I just TPKed the party in the beginner box, AMA

they did it to themselves, they opened the door into the kobold warren while the mermaid statue was still ongoing, then chased one of the kobolds into the kobold leader's throne room. i had excellent luck rolling crits tonight though

My group very nearly did the same thing last night due to a long-standing tradition of noping out of any room featuring a big statue in the center. One player at the last second stumbled on to disabling the mechanisms, so he soloed the room while the others pulled back and I got unlucky rolls on the trap mechanics. After that they backtracked and got the two special abilities from the orbs, and then scored a nat 20 on the athletics check to kool-aid man through the tunneled-out wall.

They didn't have trouble with the kobolds but retreated from the wyrmling fight. First guy that climbed a mushroom to trigger it got taken down to single digit hp by the first frenzy attack, then used his flight power he got earlier on the next turn and the tail swipe react swatted him out of the air for a KO by falling damage.

Super impressed with the beginner box and the Foundry module, can't wait to dive in to Abomination Vaults.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We finished off Menace Under Otari and started in on Abomination Vaults this past weekend. My players were able to kill the dragon at the end of the fishery dungeon and are now renting that whole space to use as their base of operations. A few of the guys are interested in checking out crafting mechanics in 2e, but not enough to alter their builds for it. I think I'm going to let them level up a crafting PC along with the party that just hangs out at base working while they adventure.

I really like the idea of making trips to Absalom for higher level gear. Any of the Foundry AP modules have good Absalom maps?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is definitely up there for dumbest looking armor I've ever seen.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lamuella posted:

Just so everyone avoids the minor irritation I just put myself through: while Version 11 of Foundry is out now, the latest version of Pathfinder for Foundry only works on version 10, so hold off for a while before updating.

I meant to post this the other day when I did the exact same thing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I have a couple of things the player can ask, they can choose 2:

• "Adventurer's choice": this is what I, as a player, would want to be the most informed about. Not allowed to choose it twice on the same check. I usually tell a critical weakness or resistance, an immunity, or if it has a reaction if nothing else. This is basically the "opening Recall Knowledge" choice and gives players hints on where to dig further.
  • Stats: Highest Stat, Lowest Stat, Highest Skill, Hit Points
  • Biology: any Resistances, Vulnerabilities, or Immunities
  • Offense: The names of all it's attacks and what they target, unusual damage types, and if it has an offensive reaction
  • Defense: Names and general description of all defensive skills and traits, Highest Save, Lowest Save, if it has a defensive reaction
  • Mobility: Speeds (of all locomotion types), names and general description of any mobility skills and traits, any mobility reactions

You'll notice that there's something good in all of these categories, but that it will take 3 successful Recall Knowledge checks (an entire player's turn) to get them all. If they do, though, it will give them the monster's entire statblock and really allow them to strategize. But 3 actions is a big deal!

It works really good in practice for me, and the PCs love the structure.

I am totally stealing this for our next session.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

Looking at the changelog, it seems like there is support for Foundry v11 for Pathfinder 2e. Has anyone tried upgrading yet? Did it break everything?

I'll give it a shot and report back.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah so far so good on mine, I run a dockerized version on a local server. I run pretty light on mods, but everything seems to be working ok.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My current AV group is:

Orc Ifrit Champion
Orc Beastkin Thaumaturge
Fetchling Summoner
Gnome Oracle
Half-Orc Barbarian
and a Halfling Cleric

Rarely if ever have full group of 6, most sessions are with 4

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Early AV spoilers: the Gibbering Mouther

I had so much fun as a GM with that encounter. The party tied a rope to their level 2 Oracle, and lowered him down the well they found in level 2 to see what was down there. He was almost immediately KO'd and they pulled his unconscious body back up.

They didn't head back for payback until hitting 4th level.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kinda funny that less than a year after releasing a union busting AP, Paizo workers voted to unionize.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Games should be fun for the GM too, sounds like you've really tried with this guy but maybe he needs to find another group to play with.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jarvisi posted:

https://youtu.be/ru-gePN9_AU?si=UDRJkjwlM6dDWxOR

Kingmaker is here. And boy is it beefy.

That looks amazing, and sadly I think it would take my group about 10 years to complete at our current pace :cry:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My group hit our pre-determined point in Abomination Vaults where I handed off GM duties and joined the group as a lvl 5 wood/air kineticist. It was late in the session when that happened, so I only had one encounter to play with, but holy hell is this a promising class. Tree sentinel I can tell already is going to be a party mvp skill.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Froghammer posted:

gently caress that Voidglutton. That guy's an rear end in a top hat.

We just hit that guy last session, and had to end the night with the encounter unresolved. I'm not sure our group has any way to deal with at-will heightened darkness.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

You absolutely do. It is called running the gently caress away and not coming back until you have a higher level light spell.

Edit: Wrin can sell a scroll of level 5 light for 150 gold if you don't want to wait.

That seems to be the group consensus at this point.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wood gets you Tree Sentinel, which is amazing. At level 5 you can negate 30dmg per round using it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Keeping track of the gameday down to the minute is some psycho level poo poo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm having a ton of fun with my wood/air kineticist in Abomination Vaults. Protector Tree has been an amazing defensive ability, and Four Winds has been great for getting the team in position when combined with my high initiative. I also specced heavy into medicine feats, so I can cover a lot of roles in combat.

Feels super great to be extremely useful in a string of encounters, and then end the session without any resource issues requiring a rest.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Trying out Argon and I can't seem to figure out how to make the buttons on the abilities bar actually use the ability and not just link the description to the chat window. Not a fan of how this replaces the hotkeys.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Then don't use it.

lol ok then

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Has there been any word if Curtain Call or other upcoming APs will get the official Foundry mod treatment? My group has gotten spoiled with Abomination Vaults.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oh cool, that's great news about AP support going forward in Foundry. I mistakenly thought they were doing them on a case-by-case basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

As a bonus you can get the super cool sketch variant covers