Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Leshy and Orc aren't uncommon any more because of Organised Play stuff. You can play those two without having to "buy" them based on how people have played
So I think it makes total sense to be fixing them up in the player guide to reflect that

Also as someone who has only done Organised Play with 2nd it's really interesting to see how varied ancestry wise "normal" parties are.
Last game I played was me as a Dwarf, another Dwarf, three Humans and an Automaton (he saved up for ages to buy it)

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

A while ago this was posted in the thread
https://zenithgames.blogspot.com/2019/09/pathfinder-2nd-edition-guide-to-guides.html?m=1

Is there a more up to date version as a lot of what's on there now is from 2021!
If not, does anyone have a decent guide to ranger animal companions/archetypes that's from more recently?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I think it would help if we know what your goal is. Are you looking for "optimization" for combat? Are you looking for RP options? Are you looking to see what weird things you can do? We don't really know what you're trying to do so advice could be all over the map.

Oh sorry, optimisation like the guides in the link are.
Not "This is the best, do this exactly" but more "the bird pet provides you with the most options and is generally the 'best' choice, but these two are also close"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Chevy Slyme posted:

Keep in mind that the dates on that list are when they were originally posted, but many of those guides authors do keep them up to date - unfortunately, you’ve gotta click the links to figure out which are and aren’t. (And remaster updates are going to be few and far between for a little while yet, so, in the absence of that, most animal companion options are largely going to be unchanged since 2021/2 - they’ve added a few but it doesn’t dramatically change what’s out there.)

Edit: sadly, it looks like the ranger guides included are just kind of dated. I imagine a remaster Ranger guide will show up soon enough. Zenith’s guide list is still being kept up to date last I checked and is probably the best single place to find an index short of lurking the Paizo forums/reddit endlessly.

yea the ranger ones are clearly quite old.

Like I know what I'm doing sorta but I really love those big lists of "okay, here's roughly how things work"
I can sit and make a nice ranger, I know I can. But I would also like to know "this is how the community feels about these choices" I think

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I mean, according to the new Player Core-- which is very similar to original 2e-- the Animal Companion is highly flexible. It lists "types" that you can use as a basis to create your own, although why they don't have similar "here are the starting stats you use at start" like the Familiars seems like a glaring oversight. That said you can look at a Bear, Ape, Badger, Bat, etc. and modify them to be another animal pretty easily and transfer the abilities.

I play PFS so I can't just modify stuff, but they do all have pretty specific extra stuff. Like the bird does extra bleed damage when it's threatening your target and because of that the guide (from 2021) recommends it above all the others.
BUT there's been so many new ones since that was written that I just want to know if anything else is nice.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

HidaO-Win posted:

Additionally, the primary goal of the remaster is to make PF2e WotC lawfare proof and Torag and Moradin are too close for comfort without anything that makes them look absolutely different. So he gotta go.

Honestly that does make sense, just kill off the ones that are too close to OGL stuff

Henceforth dwarfs will be Duradin and elves will be Elfinians

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Highhelm is a really good book and I'm glad to be a Dwarf in Pathfinder

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've just got my level 1 Ranger to level 2 and I'm here to see if anyone has any ideas with him.
I'm a dwarf with an animal companion (specifically using Dromaeosaur) and at level 1 I was using a two hander and had precision. It works pretty well since you're quite action starved so attacking twice isn't TOO likely unless you're in melee against the same creature for a while, which isn't mega likely at low levels in 6 person games.
Precision has made my dinosaur really nice, although I know it falls off somewhat as you get higher level.

However at level 2 I'm finding it hard to decide what to do.

Do I keep my two hander, take the Mauler archetype and then wait until level 4 to get power attack. Do I pick up dual weapon warrior so I can use double slice but keep precision, as this seems to be the best way to get a big attack when I have two actions available?
Do I swap to flurry, assuming that later I'd be able to make more attacks rather than a single large attack?

The problem is that since I do organised play once I've chosen here I'm locked in forever so it's something I need to decide on the long term. Two handed melee ranger does feel like a nice option to me but ranger itself hasn't got LOADS of feats that support it.

I do want to stay melee, not interested in going ranged (I tried it, but I prefer melee)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

flurry with animal companion is anti-synergy because you want to be able to have a third action to toss out for commands. precision is better if you're using it as a flanker, but ranger can also go shooty and use their dog as lockdown--though given you chose dromaeosaur obviously you're already set up for the former.

imo ranger is one of the better shells for just dumping most of the base class progression and going deep into an archetype, it doesn't have that many feats worth taking. mauler is nice, though i feel like the strongest part of mauler is in just the dedication on fighter allowing you to have the proficiency advantage on both a chosen weapon group and anything that takes two hands. but the high level aoe support isn't bad if you don't have another source of that kind of thing. alternative generically strong options are champion for heavy armor, repeatable out of combat healing, and a great reaction, a spellcaster archetype where you can just load up on buffs and utility, or barbarian for just extra damage juice.

The problem with barbarian is rage stops you using Concentration abilities - meaning it's really bad synergy with an animal companion.

Thanks for both your answers. I think it's Mauler time. Since I'm not expert with my weapons it doesn't do anything at all for me at level 2 though which is a shame. I now need to work out what boon I need to buy to use a naginata as well

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

a lot of ranger feats are just stuff for snares, which are useless in most scenarios, tracking, which is super situational, stealth, which is fiddly to run even for classes that don't do melee, and shooting, which is fine as a backup but not what a two-handed melee wants to do because presumably strength is your main stat. this leaves it with a lot of open levels. fewer if you have companion, but gravity weapon is the only spell i'd truly say is always worth taking for this particular setup. soothing mist is a slightly worse lay on hands, so it's mostly worth taking. enlarge companion loses value compared to enlarging yourself because the main benefit is reach on reaction attacks, and depending on the nature of your game, enlarging might not be on the table at all because of dungeon space limitations. +1 to AC on the pet every fight is okay but not impressive. entangle with damage is pretty good, but your DC is behind a mainclass caster and it requires a plant covered surface which isn't a guarantee.

a bow ranger with a companion might find themselves with much less space, but either/or of not taking the companion or going for melee is going to leave you with a good few levels where you're like "i guess i'll take the stealth thing over the snare thing?"

a flurry ranger has a lot of room since, as above, pets are worse on a build where you want to try to spend all three actions attacking as much as possible. it can fill those gaps with shooty feats because agile weapon means finesse weapon 9 times out of 10, and there's also support out there for repeating weapons which let you do your gameplan there regardless. the difficulty is finding feats that support your existing ability to just go all-in on attacks, or give you things to do that are situationally better.

Yep this is exactly it. I've planned the character out to around 10 and there's so few feats to take if you're not using a bow or dual wielding.

However your idea of champion has really made me think. Now I might go Ancient Elf with the non-standard stat array, be from Jinin (so I can use a Naginata) and pick up Champion (it requires 14 cha, basically impossible for a dwarf) so I can wear heavy armour. Also makes me a much better intimidator. I wasn't really thinking of it but now it feels like a really nice way to go, where I'm a better tank and provider for the dinosaur and just in general really.
This then also lets me take gravity weapon at level 2

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Just checking, have you looked at the Remastered version of the Ranger's feats? I'm not going to say this isn't still kind of a problem (replace snares with "feats to make using crossbows interesting" where appropriate), but stripping the snare stuff out to be its own archetype and giving Ranger more broadly useful feats was one of their main goals for the class, and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I have ONLY done remastered ranger and at least I feel the same way

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

champion archetype is just so ridiculously stacked i think it should be nerfed in some way. almost everything is worth taking on most classes. i don't think it needs heavy armor and lay on hands on top of the reaction, for example

I mean you only get the reaction by taking a feat at level 6 and you only get lay on hands by taking a feat at level 4
Which is fine and all but it's not that great

The dedication just gives you heavy armour and some skills

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

Expert heavy armor is only 1, maybe 2 AC at 20 behind master medium/light, in exchange for not needing to invest in dex at all. You're investing a bit in charisma instead for the dedication (if you don't have that stat associated with your class gimmick already), but charisma has the best combat-applicable skills outside of athletics, where dex has acrobatics, which is situationally good, stealth, which as mentioned before is an awkward build-around, and thievery which in most modules is basically a binary pass/fail for certain checks; either someone is hugely overinvested in thievery and handles all the locks, or you don't deal with lockpicking at all.

The reaction is also possibly the best reaction around, at least for paladin and redeemer compared to various attacks of opportunity, and lay on hands takes a notable amount of healing pressure off the combat medic. Also, picking up the holy tag on stuff is great value in certain APs.

Ye I'm completely down with getting Lay On Hands at level 4.
It's just a shame I don't get the reaction for free, I'd have to wait until level 6 which is quite a while really. (and I'm gonna be using that level for Mature Animal Companion of course)

Totally agreed with the armour though. I can increase my AC by 1, from 19 to 20. That's great and it's basically free since I got it via Ancient Elf. And as you say - Charisma based skills are really good. ESPECIALLY in PFS modules since they're currently obsessed with doing sections of chatting at people to increase your standing with them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

3 Action Economist posted:

Ooh, Commander and Guardian classes. I assume the former is like the 1e Marshal, but I'm curious how Guardian will differ from Champion.

Really curious about it!
And I was so convinced for Torag that I was shocked when he only had 5% of the vote!

RIP Gorum

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

One of the most annoying parts of playing PFS is that I have no idea if the exemplar will be playable or you'll have to buy it with boons.
and if you DO have to buy it, how much it'll be - uncommon stuff you have to buy normally and rare stuff you do and it's even more, but Gunslinger and Inventor you didn't unlock so there's no like...past examples for me to look at.

Also I've played a bit of D&D recently using Beyond for the first time and I cannot believe how absolutely poo poo it is compared to Pathbuilder. Just a lot more faff and weirdness to edit your character. I guess the main reason for that is Pathbuilder isn't JUST built to make you pay.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 19, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Arrrthritis posted:

My guess is that, since it's a rare class, it will cost about as much as it does to play as a skeleton.

Oh gently caress I hope not that's the most of anything.
I thought it'd be 160

Dexo posted:

I mean yeah, PF2e and 5e have different business models. Paizo essentially gives everything but adventure text and art away for free on their license.

It's just mad that the biggest tabletop RPG in the world has such a loving awful interface

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

So does anyone have the Tian Xia book yet?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah. It’s great.

I hate how hard it seems to be to get the books in the UK, it's always so slow.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olNDUmF_41o
Rules Lawyer has done one on Howl of the Wild and I'm pretty excited for the options. I assume Minotaur will cost absolutely fuckloads of points to play as since it sounds so strong. But I like that new bard a lot and I really like the insects. It's so frustrating that I can't get the book for ages.

Also I'm lolling at the brainslug archetype.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

That said, I’m not sure how much sense it makes as a subject for a rulebook (as opposed to a Lost Omens book). Rules for evil Champions already exist and are widely agreed to be a waste of space; there are also rules for magical contracts and stats for a variety of fiends. What fiend-themed rules content is missing?

Lost Omens: Cheliax

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Does anyone know what rarity Minotaur and Centaur are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ah thanks, hopefully that means they're cheap (80 points)