Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Daemon was framed!

He has an alibi! He wasn’t even in the Vale when his wife died! He was off fighting for king and country in the Stepstones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Viserys is a good man with a lot of personal courage, who loves his family. He's also a terrible ruler who puts surface level familial harmony over the best interests of the realm. He's the type of character that game of thrones did well when it was a good show, and stopped doing when it became a terrible show.

In his defense, she's clearly a better ruler than her inept brothers and his belief in prophecy tells him that she should rule so he has some divine sanction to his decision. He's just really naive about his vassals and their loyalty to him because he's not enough like his warlord predecessors to recognize that their superficial loyalty is a mask for their greed and ambition.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
westeros is rightfully the domain of the old gods and their children and will be again.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve never read the books, but I did buy the map book and the in-universe history volume. One thing I like about both of them is the entirely off-screen (presumably the same is true for the books) suggestion that there are lovecraft-style ancient gods somewhere waiting, and perhaps the real story of that world will be them upending the entire world in 10,000 years or something.

It could just be a nod to famous sci-fi ideas (dagon fish people, a dead god waiting under the water, an ominous abandoned city that sickens people, a city named Leng, Ib, Kadath, etc), but it’s kind of fun to think about a much more significant, sillier story coming up when these people are at like a 1920s tech/society level.

This is also true for the suggestions that the world of Game of Thrones grew up in the ruins of a high-technology society that destroyed itself many thousands of years before and the spooky city in the far east is radioactive, dragons are descended from genetically engineered war beasts, the lost technology that made all the impossible ancient buildings of Westeros is just very advanced engineering and materials science, the messed-up seasons are from some kind of super war weapon. It’s so stupid that it could never be broached in the story, but very amusing if the things people take as hints of it are deliberate.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, GRRM world is off kilter enough to make it fun but some of it does fall apart like the sizes of the continents and the actual height of the wall (taller than most skyscrapers lol)

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Storms End is a nuclear cooling tower, and I will go to my grave holding onto that wonderful theory.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The radioactive hellscape part is right around North Korea if you assume it’s supposed to be Earth. I always liked that as a detail.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’ve never read the books, but I did buy the map book and the in-universe history volume. One thing I like about both of them is the entirely off-screen (presumably the same is true for the books) suggestion that there are lovecraft-style ancient gods somewhere waiting, and perhaps the real story of that world will be them upending the entire world in 10,000 years or something.

It could just be a nod to famous sci-fi ideas (dagon fish people, a dead god waiting under the water, an ominous abandoned city that sickens people, a city named Leng, Ib, Kadath, etc), but it’s kind of fun to think about a much more significant, sillier story coming up when these people are at like a 1920s tech/society level.

This is also true for the suggestions that the world of Game of Thrones grew up in the ruins of a high-technology society that destroyed itself many thousands of years before and the spooky city in the far east is radioactive, dragons are descended from genetically engineered war beasts, the lost technology that made all the impossible ancient buildings of Westeros is just very advanced engineering and materials science, the messed-up seasons are from some kind of super war weapon. It’s so stupid that it could never be broached in the story, but very amusing if the things people take as hints of it are deliberate.

the one thing i kinda liked about GRRMs stuff is that its a world where magic and poo poo does exist and probably eldrich horrors and gods/higher powers do exist. its just random and rare. like yeah some people talk and have powers from the fire god, their is an ancient biological weapon in the frozen north waiting for the clock to tick down and lots of supposed poo poo in the edges of the world. but most of it is about Ser Hiram Fatfuck of the House Fatfuck and their weird dispute with House Baby Stomper/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s probably a decent fraction of people who believe that Robb Stark really did turn into a wolf and attack the Freys.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Also some of the deities and religions have actual power. The Red God and his followers actually have some power. The Weirwoods do poo poo.

The Seven and the Goat God of Qohor, not so much.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

One theory that I think isn't too wild and is consistent with the source is the idea that Targaryens and the other dragon-riders in old Valyria were the product of some kind of magical genetic engineering to give humans Dragon attributes, hence why they have a supernatural bond with them (or maybe dragons themselves are the end result of that experimentation). Some of the weird poo poo like Dany's stillborn son with scales and claws ties into this, and especially what we hear about people who go to Old Valyria and make it back.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
a lot of that poo poo is added in to just give some mystery to the world. Liek what is this far flung place? Well we don't know but here are some vague legends from a dude's notes who said he traveled there. Some of it might have a kernel of truth somewhere in history but was integrated or distorted with local legend. Some of it might be real.

the point is not to fill it in, but add flavor

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

One theory that I think isn't too wild and is consistent with the source is the idea that Targaryens and the other dragon-riders in old Valyria were the product of some kind of magical genetic engineering to give humans Dragon attributes, hence why they have a supernatural bond with them (or maybe dragons themselves are the end result of that experimentation). Some of the weird poo poo like Dany's stillborn son with scales and claws ties into this, and especially what we hear about people who go to Old Valyria and make it back.

There was a youtube channel dedicated to this theory, but I can't remember the name, something Prester John?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

deoju posted:

Also some of the deities and religions have actual power. The Red God and his followers actually have some power. The Weirwoods do poo poo.

The Seven and the Goat God of Qohor, not so much.

Something going on with the Drowned God too? IIRC, the Ironborn's CPR ritual always works when it should realistically kill a bunch of them.

Edit: Yeah, the wiki says the Kiss of Life only occasionally doesn't work and Aeron Greyjoy has never lost someone. Seems supernatural

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 20, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

kanonvandekempen posted:

There was a youtube channel dedicated to this theory, but I can't remember the name, something Prester John?

Preston Jacobs. He has a million fan theories, of various seriousness.

PostNouveau posted:

Something going on with the Drowned God too? IIRC, the Ironborn's CPR ritual always works when it should realistically kill a bunch of them.

Edit: Yeah, the wiki says the Kiss of Life only occasionally doesn't work and Aeron Greyjoy has never lost someone. Seems supernatural

It's CPR.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I always liked the whole "There has only ever been one Lord Bolton" theory

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Preston Jacobs. He has a million fan theories, of various seriousness.

He's been doing a fun fan fiction project where he puts out an outline of a chapter for Winds of Winter and takes submissions and edits them into a chapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIo4kB34pI8

He just released the Quentyn I chapter, because one of his favorite theories is that Quentyn survived A Dance With Dragons

I thought CPR was extremely ineffective, but a little Googling says it might be very effective in drowning cases and very ineffective in heart attacks.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If we’re linking to YouTube resources I really like the videos by Alt Shift X for both GoT and HotD. He’s good about citing his sources and giving speculative theories a fair shake.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Tender Bender posted:

There are several Targ children that are said to be weird human/dragon abominations and not a single one of them is real, including Dany's. Dany gets told that her stillborn baby was a weird scaled abomination by a woman that is trying to emotionally hurt her, and the actual baby is never seen up close by anyone trustworthy. It likely looked hosed up because of genetic issues having to do with Targ inbreeding, but the whole scaled dragon with a tail thing is a fabrication made up by in-world historians trying to sell the idea that virtuous kings have awesome chad babies, while wicked kings have weird demon babies.

EDIT: Always remember that the in-world lore is usually written by a Maester, who always spin or embellish details to lend credence to their very specific worldview of what's right and what's wrong.

EDIT2: The Targs started having a problems with children and fertility a generation or two after they started outbreeding with people outside their family. There is evidence that they might have been fine inbreeding as long as they kept their line completely pure, but as soon as they started adding genes from outside the family the inbreeding caught up with them.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 21, 2024

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Wile E Coyote genetics

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Are you loving kidding me?

The guy seriously wrote that incest was good and only went bad because they weren't doing so much loving incest?!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Turns out the solution to bad incest was, really, just more incest

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I thought CPR was extremely ineffective, but a little Googling says it might be very effective in drowning cases and very ineffective in heart attacks.

CPR is used to keep the oxygen circulating. It can't start the heart or revidert people. It's something you do to keep the brain from dying until medical personell arrives.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NYMag/status/1761157046852825193

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Yeah, so season three of this show in 2026 then, assuming renewal.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The Dunk and Egg stories are pretty much tailor made for TV. If they get competent show runners and a good cast, it could be a huge hit.

Of course, they will likely run into the same problem as game of thrones, in that the conclusion to that story has not been written by grrm and likely won't be finished by the time the show catches up. (Because he will never release another asoiaf book)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The Dunk and Egg stories are pretty much tailor made for TV. If they get competent show runners and a good cast, it could be a huge hit.

Of course, they will likely run into the same problem as game of thrones, in that the conclusion to that story has not been written by grrm and likely won't be finished by the time the show catches up. (Because he will never release another asoiaf book)

I think he'll for sure release another couple dumb cash in books at some point. Not plot stuff, but random world bullshit.

He just won't have written any of them. At most he'll give some notes he already wrote to someone else while he takes most of the profit.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Non-zero chance the old troll has already finished them and they won’t be released until after his death. I would respect that.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

The Greyjoys make more sense when you realize every ruler suffers from anoxic brain injury

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Non-zero chance the old troll has already finished them and they won’t be released until after his death. I would respect that.

In the sense that I believe he could have found a way to invent a negative probability of how unlikely the books are to come out, yes, I suppose it's non-zero.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

In the sense that I believe he could have found a way to invent a negative probability of how unlikely the books are to come out, yes, I suppose it's non-zero.

Your spite is what is keeping the old man alive. The more you want the books, the longer GRRM lives.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Marsupial Ape posted:

It's more likely that he'll have finished 90% of everything before dying and will stipulate in his will that it all be destroyed.

stev fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 24, 2024

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

stev posted:

It's more likely that he'll have finished 90% of everything before dying and will stipulate in his will that it all be destroyed.

I would respect that more. That’s baller.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Title it “A Hedge Knight of the Seven Kingdoms”.

PM me for further media consulting.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Steven Conrad (Patriot) was supposed to be the showrunner, then he was downgraded to writer, and now his name isn't appearing on any press releases. Oh well.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Fuuuuuck, Conrad would have been a great choice

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The Dunk and Egg stories are pretty much tailor made for TV.

The Blackfyres are central to the story, and they aren't mentioned at all in the original show, at least not to my recollection. The Dance of the Dragons was a few times. It'll probably be fine, but I've gotta wonder if that will resonate with the old audience the same way HotD does.

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 25, 2024

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Trailers for the newest season are out. They split them into House Green/House Black versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnxB9xZByyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csSaSrJJPRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Still unbelievable that they made Game of Thrones TV good again