Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Between this and Shogun, it's going to be a good year for nerd poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I like how they are trying to coax fans into choosing a side, but by the end you'll see they are both loving awful. Which is the point..

Anybody know who that Bracken is at 1:07 of the Green Trailer? I hope we see lots more Bracken vs Blackwood stuff in this season.

deoju fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 21, 2024

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Tender Bender posted:

lol there are like a dozen characters where GRRM's internalized fatphobia is on full display, including both Rhaenyra and Viserys. Fatness in his stories is almost always associated with decline, moral failure, corruption, and/or weakness.

what about Manderley

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Typo posted:

what about Manderley

Things are hosed up enough without bringing Lars von Trier into this!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Dunk and Egg cast.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/ga...ell-1235961895/

The kid looks the part, and Dunk is a former rugby player, so I presume he's got the physique. Though you can fake a lot with the camera.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wonder how many seasons they plan to make. Child actors aging out of their role is a real problem. Bran looked nothing like Bran at the end.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
looks like a pretty big fella.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This rugby website lists him at 1.96m/119kg and 262lbs/6'5".

I'd say he qualifies as a "big dude," but not an "absolute unit."

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 5, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Rory McCann a la Sandor Clegane was 6'6", so good enough.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

deoju posted:

This rugby website lists him at 1.96m/119kg and 262lbs/6'5".

guy who plays Reacher is 6'3" and 245 and appears to be about four hundred feet tall on the show so I think we're good

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:hmmyes:
Guess how tall Lena Heady is 5'2". Good cinematographers no what they are doing.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Know they don’t

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vegetable posted:

Bran looked nothing like Bran at the end.

It kind of worked since the show occasionally made a point of saying 1 season = 1 year, even when it made no sense at all.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

uber_stoat posted:

looks like a pretty big fella.

:stwoon:

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

deoju posted:

262lbs/6'5".

FFS in what universe... Hollywood on steroids has turned brains into mush.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Whale Vomit posted:

FFS in what universe... Hollywood on steroids has turned brains into mush.

I was loving joking. Neither "big dude" nor "absolute unit" are real units of measurement.

Maybe I should have said "he's a big fella, but not Hafthor Bjornson big."

deoju fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 6, 2024

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They killed the Jon Snow spinoff — “couldn’t find the right story to tell.”

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/jon-snow-game-of-thrones-spinoff-scrapped-hbo-1235965517/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

deoju posted:

I like how they are trying to coax fans into choosing a side, but by the end you'll see they are both loving awful. Which is the point..

Anybody know who that Bracken is at 1:07 of the Green Trailer? I hope we see lots more Bracken vs Blackwood stuff in this season.

thats what i like. basicaly by the end both sides piss away any likability and mercy and it just ends in total horror show with some surving adults in the room quietly settle poo poo.

Vegetable posted:

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/jon-snow-game-of-thrones-spinoff-scrapped-hbo-1235965517/

no poo poo,. like the ending sucked and kinda killed my interest in the show. i dont even hate where most of the characters ended up but gently caress did they gently caress up the road to get there. also whats his face sucks as an actor and there isnt enough there to do anything with.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he dudn't wunt it.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Oh no, does that mean Kit Harrington is going to try to act in non-GOT projects?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mweber posted:

Oh no, does that mean Kit Harrington is going to try to act in non-GOT projects?

nah, he will live in his wife noblity money like all should dream of,

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Somehow the night king returned.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nah, he will live in his wife noblity money like all should dream of,

Kit and his wife could just do a very cozy “This Old Castle” show where they renovate her family home. People would go nuts.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Vegetable posted:

… shouldn’t the story idea come before green lighting the show in the first place? Can I just call up HBO and say, “hey what if you just make a new show with Turtle from Entourage” and get paid?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

IP is king. Story is just an obstacle.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hence why we'll be getting Sims/Monopoly movies from Margot Robbie.

Super Deuce posted:

Can I just call up HBO and say, “hey what if you just make a new show with Turtle from Entourage” and get paid?
You can just be that guy potentially but the key is you need to be a failson.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I can't actually think of anything that would be that interesting that would be set after the main series. Especially based around Jon Snow being north of the wall in a completely depopulated area. Seems like Bran would have a pretty good handle on political stuff since he can just view the past and spy on people with raven, and killing off Dany and the Night King and then bringing them back would just diminish the ending to the main series which was already diminished by its execution.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

Kit and his wife could just do a very cozy “This Old Castle” show where they renovate her family home. People would go nuts.

yeah. like i have no issue with the dude or his wife, i just mean like the dude isnt a great actor and now he can just live with his rich wife forever and do acting gigs every onece and while when he wants a new battlement.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I can't actually think of anything that would be that interesting that would be set after the main series. Especially based around Jon Snow being north of the wall in a completely depopulated area. Seems like Bran would have a pretty good handle on political stuff since he can just view the past and spy on people with raven, and killing off Dany and the Night King and then bringing them back would just diminish the ending to the main series which was already diminished by its execution.

i feel like the issue is there isnt really a story you could tell outside after the god emperor of westeros dies. the kingdom is mostly unified though there are obvious cracks for future conflict a generation or two out sure, but like making another super war doesnt work.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
A Jon Snow show would be dependent on there being some great mystery or drama to explore North of the Wall with the White Walkers, and it just really sounds like there isn't one. The creative well is dry and even Kit Harrington could recognize it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Hence why we'll be getting Sims/Monopoly movies from Margot Robbie.

You can just be that guy potentially but the key is you need to be a failson.

sims movie would have serious legs if they had the guts to make it about a detached menopausal wine mom putting a virtual family through increasingly elaborate acts of torment

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's my pitch. Jon becomes the king of the Free Folk. Then he realizes they are on a collision course with Sansa's northern kingdom. He then tries to derail the path he has put them on like Muad Dib in the Dune series. Ultimately he and Drogon should kill each other in an epic duel ending the Dragons and Targaryens forever.

But that's really just one season of content.

Edit: A dude named Steven Atwell just died. He was super influential in fan communities. Probably in the top five scholars. Bummer.

deoju fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 11, 2024

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Jon Snow should be included in future GoT media, for sure. Just, in a future setting where he's remembered as something. He's an insanely influential character given scope of the world he's in. He should be looked at as a legendary figure forever, right? Here's what you do. A cop procedural set in the equivalent of our 1990ish but just with GoT world history. CBS can buy it. First episode you can run into a guy stabbing his aunt-wife with a sword and they have to investigate it. I'm thinking NYPD Blue-style.

That, or just like... make up your own drat universe, hacks. If you have something you really need to add to someone else's world, fine, cool, do it! It may be great. If you decide to do something before wanting to do something, that's a good way to get poo poo "art".

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Phenotype posted:

sims movie would have serious legs if they had the guts to make it about a detached menopausal wine mom putting a virtual family through increasingly elaborate acts of torment

One half of the show from the POV of the family as real people, and the other as the sadistic wine mom clicking away gleefully? Have Kristen Bell as the wine mom and make it a dark comedy, and I'm on board

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If we're throwing pitches out there: the end of the white walkers results in a thawing of the north. Which leads to a land grab plotline where everyone wants to get their hands on the lovely fertile soil. This leads to tension between expansionist Southerners (or Bravossi if you want to move away from having to deal with too many characters from the original show) and a diasporised Free Folk, coupled with John needing to consolidate power in the north. You can throw in some spooky plots involving isolated northern communities with access to ancient magics, or fire cultists who are running around wielding the bones of Melisandre's corpse like they're pieces of Christ or some poo poo, but as a hook for later seasons I'd slowly start to introduce a new powerful faction from the far north west.

Anchor this in a story about Snow trying to build a city north of the wall, starting from a small settlement, expanding it to several towns with trade, and minor conflict between them. Essentially tell a story about the battle for the soul / survival of a community, possibly told over several generations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Sansa would need to marry and have an heir to consolidate her hold on the North. And the climate changing brings in a ton of immigrants. Or maybe that's too close to contemporary affairs.

gently caress it get hbo on the phone. I don't need to be show runner, but I want a executive producer credit.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah basically you do Yellowstone. Wildlings are the native community. Southerners are city folk. Wall came down, summer is coming, everyone wants a piece of that pie. Cows are mammoths now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m just glad Paddy Considine’s secret generational knowledge of how to kill the white walkers that comes in prophetic dreams and wasn’t communicated to any of his kids ended up not being a hook for the Jon Snow series. I don’t know what it was, other than another thing to make him sad and pathetic, but I’m glad it wasn’t that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m just glad Paddy Considine’s secret generational knowledge of how to kill the white walkers that comes in prophetic dreams and wasn’t communicated to any of his kids ended up not being a hook for the Jon Snow series. I don’t know what it was, other than another thing to make him sad and pathetic, but I’m glad it wasn’t that.

I read that plot beat as, essentially, another angle on the central irony of the parent series. i.e. that these characters spend so much time playing musical murder chairs with the Iron Throne that they end up shortsightedly dooming the kingdom.

Except uhh the parent series ends up minimizing that crisis anyway, but I'm not sure I hold that against this show specifically.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

One of the interesting things about ASOIAF was that it was a mostly generic low-fantasy medieval world that experienced a last gasp of magic and myth. The death of that marked the end of the story. A sequel would have to either cheapen that aspect of the first series or tell a more generic low-fantasy story, which is not really the reason people like the series. Prequels seem to be more popular with these big series anyway because it's easy to write an origin story and everyone's scared to write a new ending, but it made a lot of sense to do HOTD because that was when the cool stuff sort of necessarily happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

maybe ten years after ASOIAF magic just comes back somehow and there's all talking dragons and magic wizards and stuff

themes are for babies