Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ButtTheShitmanFart
Apr 18, 2018

The worst that is, the worst that was, and the worst that ever will be.
Show a dick hard you cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I can't remember much of HBO's latest attempt to keep the Bad Wig industry in business other than Matt Smith's hilarious Death Knight cosplay because of my confused shock at seeing Rhys Ifans on the credits at the end. I googled afterwards and realising he was the King's Hand blew my mind because I am forever stuck thinking of him as the scuzzy Twin Town and Notting Hill guy.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Episode is good, but it reminds me of why I kind of fell out of watching new shows and movies in that some of the actors are loving mumbling out their lines.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

did this loving air yet

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Episode is good, but it reminds me of why I kind of fell out of watching new shows and movies in that some of the actors are loving mumbling out their lines.

Sometime in the past 15 years, actors replaced emoting with whispering. It's incredibly frustrating. I think the worst example I've seen recently was in either The Last Duel or Green Knight. I forget which it was, but it was two people talking to each other from across an enormous room whispering.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Super Deuce posted:

Sometime in the past 15 years, actors replaced emoting with whispering. It's incredibly frustrating. I think the worst example I've seen recently was in either The Last Duel or Green Knight. I forget which it was, but it was two people talking to each other from across an enormous room whispering.

Meanwhile everyone is being drowned out by a bird a mile off-camera.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Announcing your wife has gone into labor in the vagina stadium is a move.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Was alright but christ stop casting Matt Smith - he’s a stain on every scene.

Nice to see dragoon armour tho in real life.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Decent enough intro, looks like they spent a mint on production. I'll keep watching just in the hope that the full cost gives David Zaslav an aneurysm seeing as they already spent $100 million just on advertising.

When the Hand reported on Daemon's big speech in front of his men I bet one of the witnesses is the poor guy who got coitus interruptus in the middle of the room.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Splendid posted:

Matt Smith's real voice sounds exactly like Iwan Rheon's fake voice

Yeah, I found it funny, he fine so far, he plays a good dickhead with a void inside them and pulls off the inbred look.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Pilot was pretty good — much better than I was expecting, in fact.

So why did the King mention the long winter/night/white walkers at the end? They comin back?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

MLSM posted:

Pilot was pretty good — much better than I was expecting, in fact.

So why did the King mention the long winter/night/white walkers at the end? They comin back?

he called it the song of ice and fire

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Looking anxiously around for the “I thought that episode was garbage, personally” post.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ninurta posted:

When the Hand reported on Daemon's big speech in front of his men I bet one of the witnesses is the poor guy who got coitus interruptus in the middle of the room.

I thought they were gonna play around with an unreliable narrator there, but then Daemon just doesn't defend himself at all and pretty much cops to it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I thought it was ok

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

show is a 10/10 for that one shot of daemon giving the speech in the brothel imo

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

VaultAggie posted:

Looking anxiously around for the “I thought that episode was garbage, personally” post.

I came pretty close, but ultimately I feel nothing towards it, which may be worse for the producers than hating it. Hating drives more people to talk about it. Luke warm reactions drive people to maybe tune in next time.

It was thoroughly and completely ok, feeling very much like the original (latter) seasons of GOT. The worst part about it for me was I don’t care for any of the characters or their motivations.

I can’t help but feel that the scenes of blood and violence and sex are there specifically to be shocking. I’m not so naive to think the original series didn’t have deliberately gratuitous scenes to drive attention, but the scenes in this episode felt particularly corporate and cynical.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 22, 2022

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

MLSM posted:

Rather funny that it turns out the Targaryens always knew about the white walkers but at some point after this story they drop the ball big time

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Show good. Really happy with it

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

The ep was all setup so not really ready to render verdict yet. I liked all the actors tho. Was that bit at the end about Aegon's dream of a song of ice and fire a show invention or from the book? Because gently caress me that was awful.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

so this did air.

i guess i'll watch it next week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Roman Reigns posted:

Rather funny that it turns out the Targaryens always knew about the white walkers but at some point after this story they drop the ball big time

I wonder if what seems to be the major conflict of the show - the battle to decide who will replace the entirely too amenable King - will see a break in the tradition of that vision/prophecy being handed down?

The episode itself was.... okay. It felt oddly anemic for a first episode, maybe it's going to pull together over the next couple but it seemed to be lacking some kind of spark like early GoT had, certainly there was nothing as shocking as Bran discovering Jamie and Cersei having sex and being shoved out the window but even beyond that, GoT itself was dripping in atmosphere and history from the first episode and this episode felt oddly generic despite all the blood, tits, butts and dragons.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
The scene with the dagger and explaining that Aegon was actually a good guy who just had humankind's best interests at heart is really not sitting well with me. The further this show moves from that, the better.

Everything else was interesting, if not arresting.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Roman Reigns posted:

It is, indeed, pretty funny. My guess is that Rhaenyra never told anyone out of spite. If Rhaegar hadn't rediscovered the secret, that would've been it for human civilization.

My favorite part of the episode was the police brutality montage.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
That was a banger. Game of Thrones is back baby!!!

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Jerusalem posted:

I wonder if what seems to be the major conflict of the show - the battle to decide who will replace the entirely too amenable King - will see a break in the tradition of that vision/prophecy being handed down?

If there’s a plot thread where they try to confirm the existence of the walkers im so down

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I appreciate that the king cut himself sitting on the sword chair I hope that happens every episode, adds realism

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
It looks and sounds like pre-season 7 Game of Thrones, so that is good news. I’m back on the Game of Thrones train. Ring of Power is going to have to really nail the look and feel of it’s world, because Witcher and Wheel of Time already look like elementary school plays next to this.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

TyrantWD posted:

It looks and sounds like pre-season 7 Game of Thrones, so that is good news. I’m back on the Game of Thrones train. Ring of Power is going to have to really nail the look and feel of it’s world, because Witcher and Wheel of Time already look like elementary school plays next to this.

You forgot the part where The Witcher is good. But yeah the costumes and sets and overall look of House Of Dragon is incredible, loved the dragon armor Damon was wearing

Wheel of time was rushed trash though

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

His baby is for sure alive right? There were some intentional cuts there. I’m struggling to think of story to spin out over 9 more eps.

Smith came off not so bad, minus the wig. I didn’t really warm up to paddy though, he is a tremendous actor, but doesn’t strike me as particularly regal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Compare how this show looks just purely visually to Disney+ shows lol. Just a whole nother level.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

GoT itself was dripping in atmosphere and history from the first episode and this episode felt oddly generic despite all the blood, tits, butts and dragons.

It did not seem to set up a lot beyond the succession conflict. Like, Otto and Daemon hate each other, Alicent and Rhanerya are into Daemon and that Cole dude, the ship dude and the king's aunt or whatever probably resent the king.

It felt like the GoT pilot set up a whole lot of stuff, and this was a pretty standard court intrigue show that is not much interested in anything outside the court.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I was expecting better dragon vfx those were not very good.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It was ok. Looked really good but was kind of bored halfway through.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
i thought the dragon show got off to a good start.

and also

https://twitter.com/ChelseaTatham/status/1561542658165719042

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Aegon called his dream... A Game of Thrones.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Is she a total nutjob or something?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MLSM posted:

Is she a total nutjob or something?

Well, she's a Targaryen, so ...

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

TyrantWD posted:

Lol, I'm pretty confident in saying that HOTD is going to be running laps around ROP in the costume and cinematography departments. Everything they've put out for ROP just looks so generic...which is hilarious given that it cost twice as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Neat. It was fine. I saw things and heard names I recognized.

I feel nothing.