Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It is kind of the opposite where Viserys just wanted everyone to get along and be nice, but was hesitant about taking any real action about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

So many posts but no videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9XBP07GeJY

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tender Bender posted:

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

F. Murray Abraham (The White Lotus)
Nicholas Braun (Succession)
Michael Imperioli (The White Lotus)
Theo James (The White Lotus)
Matthew Macfadyen (Succession)
Alan Ruck (Succession)
Will Sharpe (The White Lotus)
Alexander Skarsgard (Succession)

You don't have to pick a favorite show; I like Succession and White Lotus, but still. Nicholas Braun has no business being on here, and same for pretty much every White Lotus nom. They easily should have had Paddy on this list.

Not seen White Lotus S2 but Matty Macfad is the only deserving name from Succession there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

breadshaped posted:

Not seen White Lotus S2 but Matty Macfad is the only deserving name from Succession there.

Skarsgard was very good too but Ruck and Braun are just people reflex voting for every name with Succession by it.

Don't get me started on the White Lotus cast though. Maybe Will Sharpe deserved a nod, maybe

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 17, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah as much as a loved White Lotus season 2 none of the performances from that list stood out as particularly award winning.

The supporting actress noms for White Lotus make more sense to me - but Rhea Seehorn should win that regardless.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
drat I heard we lost Sapochnik, and also s3 is possibly on death row due to the Writer/SAG strike.

don't get me wrong, burn it all!

but hopefully hotd survives.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The studios killed themselves by being greedy. I’ll gladly lose everything I currently watch if some of those studio fucks throw themselves out the window like it’s 1929 and some good movies get made for once.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I've been rereading the books anyway and tbh I could see myself becoming a book person.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

runaway dog posted:

drat I heard we lost Sapochnik

drat, now we have to suffer through a full season of properly-lit episodes

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

pyrotek posted:

drat, now we have to suffer through a full season of properly-lit episodes

I laff'd

that reminds me, I finally dumped a fat stack on an HDR OLED monitor and I can finally see what happened in the long night episode, it's absurd how dark it still is.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

it never occurred to me to go back and revisit that episode after getting a dope OLED and yknow what? I still don't think I'm gonna bother

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That episode looked like Minecraft in shades of black. Wait no maybe black Tetris. And no I don’t think I’ll go back to watch it again either

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't know why this is, given the sheer volume of people who did, but I never had that problem.

Could just be my TV. Or the fact that I always watched it after dark.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
It was definitely an issue on certain TVs (ironically it was worse on newer "higher tech" TVs than older ones), but it was ultimately the fault of the show runners for pushing the actual data of the show below the minimum level any reasonable TV should be at. There was a great video that broke down what happened, and it's pretty interesting. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here it is: https://youtu.be/D83SXcguwBU

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 31, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
They are going to do 4 seasons.
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/george-rr-martin-praises-house-of-the-dragon-season-2-preps-more-seasons-1235825061/

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 7, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have never read a dragon show book. Should I read this book?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

I have never read a dragon show book. Should I read this book?

I've heard it sucks. Never read it myself.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's a very long history of the kingdom, with lots of begats. The main books are better reads, but I did enjoy HotD.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I wouldn't really recommend it unless you read and really enjoyed the main series.

However the "Dance of the Dragons," the period the TV show is depicting, is only 200 pages or so if you want to give it a shot.

deoju fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 7, 2023

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed the book. But I like reading lore wikis so ymmv. It's like a cross between a lore wiki and an old man telling a long story from memory.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm reading it now and it's okay, a lot of dry history description interspersed with very interesting, detailed, evocative setpieces. The stuff covered by HotD is the best stuff and starts about halfway through the book, there are a bunch of scenes I'm very excited to see. And also in hindsight it's impressive how much the show came up with on its own: Viserys is barely a character and an obese partying drunk, there's almost no characterization given to Alicent or Otto at all, Alicent is much older than Rhaenyra, etc. (all the changes/additions by the show are excellent).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

I'm reading it now and it's okay, a lot of dry history description interspersed with very interesting, detailed, evocative setpieces. The stuff covered by HotD is the best stuff and starts about halfway through the book, there are a bunch of scenes I'm very excited to see. And also in hindsight it's impressive how much the show came up with on its own: Viserys is barely a character and an obese partying drunk, there's almost no characterization given to Alicent or Otto at all, Alicent is much older than Rhaenyra, etc. (all the changes/additions by the show are excellent).

Also, Rhaenyra gets fat and ugly (GRRM wants you to know this)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lol there are like a dozen characters where GRRM's internalized fatphobia is on full display, including both Rhaenyra and Viserys. Fatness in his stories is almost always associated with decline, moral failure, corruption, and/or weakness.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Johnny Sack: “Rubenesque”

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Tender Bender posted:

lol there are like a dozen characters where GRRM's internalized fatphobia is on full display, including both Rhaenyra and Viserys. Fatness in his stories is almost always associated with decline, moral failure, corruption, and/or weakness.

is that necessarily wrong? i'm thinking about sam tarly who is fat and not amoral at all (i haven't read the books, but at least in GOT he's the paragon of decency), but his obesity is part of his overall psyche. he is not physically strong, not courageous in a fight, but strong in other ways.

then you have other people who being in bad physical shape is a manifestation of various things going wrong with them mentally. like, being obese isn't a good thing, and if somebody suddenly starts gaining weight in adulthood beyond standard middle age, there's probably some kind of reason that they'd be better off addressing. like in the sopranos, tony just gets fatter and fatter as it goes on and i know that's probably just gandolfini but it works in the story because tony is becoming less and less willing to work on himself as it goes on in general, or rather realises he doesn't actually give a poo poo.

i don't think people are bad because they are fat, and i know some people are just heavy all their lives and that's that, but i don't think fatness is a completely neutral physical trait like skin colour or hair etc either. it can definitely be useful to say something about a character.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 7, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Also I get the tendency to fundamentally link the personal values of an author to those of the fictional worlds they create but it's not always that clear cut. GRRM is very clearly depicting Westeros as a hosed up place where the strong prey upon the weak and honorable people are regularly made chumps by those who lack it. Westeros having hosed up values doesn't mean the author does.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Also I get the tendency to fundamentally link the personal values of an author to those of the fictional worlds they create but it's not always that clear cut. GRRM is very clearly depicting Westeros as a hosed up place where the strong prey upon the weak and honorable people are regularly made chumps by those who lack it. Westeros having hosed up values doesn't mean the author does.
True, but the diagetic presence of a lovely fake world doesn't preclude an author's biases from penetrating the work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yo, can we please not have book chat in the thread?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

is that necessarily wrong? i'm thinking about sam tarly who is fat and not amoral at all (i haven't read the books, but at least in GOT he's the paragon of decency), but his obesity is part of his overall psyche. he is not physically strong, not courageous in a fight, but strong in other ways.

then you have other people who being in bad physical shape is a manifestation of various things going wrong with them mentally. like, being obese isn't a good thing, and if somebody suddenly starts gaining weight in adulthood beyond standard middle age, there's probably some kind of reason that they'd be better off addressing. like in the sopranos, tony just gets fatter and fatter as it goes on and i know that's probably just gandolfini but it works in the story because tony is becoming less and less willing to work on himself as it goes on in general, or rather realises he doesn't actually give a poo poo.

i don't think people are bad because they are fat, and i know some people are just heavy all their lives and that's that, but i don't think fatness is a completely neutral physical trait like skin colour or hair etc either. it can definitely be useful to say something about a character.

Sam's chapters are where this shines through the most, his internal monologue is full of him crying, being cowardly, flailing around uselessly, and thinking about how useless his fat limbs and fat fingers are as he struggles to move because of how fat he is (as in, he explicitly thinks this in the writing, over and over).

And... These are fictional characters. When I'm reading a book and notice that "this person got fat" is consistently used as quick shorthand to indicate their decline/failure, especially characters who have barely any other traits like the F&B characters, it's impossible not to notice what the author is doing. I just feel kind of sorry for him since he clearly has this association in mind.

Edit: forgot this was a NO BOOKS thread. I dunno what a book is.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I just finished the season one finale, a pretty great show (not a book reader). I'm not going to skim 170 pages but I'm curious what the week to week reaction here was.

Misc throughts/observations:

1. Loved the shift for Daemon, starting at "this guy might be a kingslayer" to "dang, no he's the only sane one in the room" by halfway
2. This all could have been avoided if Rhaenyra was 1% less of an absolutely selfish b
3. Viserys' actor gave a great performance all through, perfect job for that character
4. The time skips & recasting was a little jarring but hey, no waiting around

Psyched for season 2.

Also most of my memory of GOT has evaporated, but here's a HOTD -> GOT timeline/character question is one of Alicent's boys the king that was burning lots of people prior to the events of GOT? Also, this is the war that made the Baratheons famous circa GOT timeframe, right?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think you’re at any point supposed to think daemon is the sane one in the room

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Regarding the questions two posts up, No, this is before that time. I believe it is 2 or 3 hundred years in the past from the events of GoT.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Factor Mystic posted:

Also most of my memory of GOT has evaporated, but here's a HOTD -> GOT timeline/character question is one of Alicent's boys the king that was burning lots of people prior to the events of GOT? Also, this is the war that made the Baratheons famous circa GOT timeframe, right?

Nah. This is a century and a half prior to the events of Game of Thrones. Joffrey brings up the violent history to Margaery because it excites him, but that’s the extent of it.

e: And the answer to the second part is “I don’t think so?” The Baratheons like every great house had been involved in various conflicts in the realm over the three centuries that the Targaryen dynasty existed. They were one of four great houses in what later became known as “Robert’s Rebellion” fifteenish years prior to the start of A Game of Thrones (it’s different in the books and show to age up certain characters). Out of the four principal leaders, Robert Baratheon was crowned because his grandmother was a Targaryen and because he distinguished himself on the field of battle by, among other feats, killing the Targaryen prince Rhaegar. And also, honestly, because Ned didn’t want the crown, Jon Arryn was old and heirless, and Hoster Tully was a weak ruler within his own fief, let alone the whole continent.

If Robert had died of his wounds, Ned would have taken the throne, and the war would be known as “Ned’s Rebellion”.

tl;dr: Robert Baratheon became famous by caving in the chest of the wicked dragonspawn Rhaegar Targaryen with a warhammer.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 1, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
e:f,b I should hit f5 more often.

Factor Mystic posted:

No, that is Aerys. For a timeline reference, the Viserys of HOTD died in the year 129 AC,* the Joffrey of GOT was coronated in 298 AC.

*AC stands for After Conquest, refering to Aegon the Conqueror the first Targaryen King of the Seven Kingdoms.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

I just finished the season one finale, a pretty great show (not a book reader). I'm not going to skim 170 pages but I'm curious what the week to week reaction here was.

1. Loved the shift for Daemon, starting at "this guy might be a kingslayer" to "dang, no he's the only sane one in the room" by halfway
2. This all could have been avoided if Rhaenyra was 1% less of an absolutely selfish b
3. Viserys' actor gave a great performance all through, perfect job for that character

Psyched for season 2.

there's a few shows where large time skips work well. Rome it was super weird. Also the compression of events but the ran out of money and time lol

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Factor Mystic posted:

Psyched for season 2.

1. Yeah that was fun, he didn’t even really kill his wife. Dude just liked his brother and sister and had to play the big bad.
2. Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh. Maybe? Or if she was more selfish? Maybe that’s :thejoke:
3. Yeah, many of us thought he’d get a brace of awards.
4. That was a little shocking to me, in the week to week. Didn’t read much about the show, so I was surprised when they switched actresses just as they seemed to be settling in. For the best, I’m glad HotD is being mindful to not be so exploitative of its cast and people. At least overtly.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I would have thought that caving someone's head in with a rock does count as killing them.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Captain Splendid posted:

I would have thought that caving someone's head in with a rock does count as killing them.

Oh yeah… :lol:

Forgot the fall didn’t do her in.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Daemon is obviously has no moral qualms about murdering spouses to position himself to get ahead. Not a great guy, think twice before marrying! But he's also real interested in not tearing the kingdom apart and destroying the Targ legacy, and he's savvy enough to play the game. Unlike dear old Viserys who just wants everyone to get along to the point where he WILL tear the family apart before his body is cold.

Anyway my point with my comment is that at least in episode one you think he'll do anything to get ahead, but really it's that he'll do almost anything to keep the name/line/order. That is interesting to watch, and makes him an interesting character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Viserys is a good man with a lot of personal courage, who loves his family. He's also a terrible ruler who puts surface level familial harmony over the best interests of the realm. He's the type of character that game of thrones did well when it was a good show, and stopped doing when it became a terrible show.