Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the timeline for this show is that the current king is the grandson or great nephew of the original conquerer? That doesn’t seem like enough time for any kind of tradition to be set in a world that has like 25,000 years of recorded history and people still following a religion that lost official status thousands of years ago. That king council thing in the ruined castle could only have happened two or three times, max, but they treat it like it’s established ritual.

Last episode the king was talking about a prophecy handed down “from the age of Aegon,” but he means that his grandfather told his dad and his dad told him? It seems like they should have put a few extra generations in there, both before these characters and after, to better distance the world of Game of Thrones, where nobody gives a poo poo about dragons or magic, from a world where there are magic dragons everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It was the tourney scene that resulted in an all-out bloodbath. I counted 6 high-borns getting murdered in various ways, counteracting the argument that this show is less wantonly violent than GoT. Stark and Lannister were the only insignia I noticed, but I'm sure the others were also from noble houses.

The Lannisters went on an all-out war footing when Tyrion, who they loving despise, got kidnapped. Imagine a Lannister failson getting bludgeoned to death with a mace in a tourney. Tournament deaths aren't uncommon in Westeros, but they're usually accidental or disguised as accidents like with Jon Arryn's squire. A bunch of nobles just wailing on each other with last man standing rules and no political consequences is insane.

Did anyone really care when Rob’s guy killed those two captive wiener kids in season two, other than Rob?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Should I read the books? I watched every episode of the show and was able to get through them all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Well yeah, I don't think it will have major effects on the plot of ASoIaF (if he ever finishes), but I do think he is having fun hiding things like that in the story. I disagree with the idea that ASoIaF isn't deep, because I think it's quite the opposite. The books (mostly 1-3 sadly) are multi-level with their plots. You have what's happening right in front from the chapter's POV character, what's really happening in that scene that you have to interpret as the reader with multiple POVs to work with, and then there's the "real" plots that are hidden underneath all of that.

Believe it or not, before the show made it blatantly obvious, there were people that never picked up on Jon Snow's parents, Renly and Loras being lovers, The Hound surviving his "death scene" with Arya, etc. And there are still mysteries book readers haven't figured out because the show never touched them. Who gently caress is Young Griff, how old is The Night's Watch (it's not as old as it claims to be), what are the glass candles and who is that Archmaester whose name pops up like 17 different times as being the teacher of assorted mages, why the gently caress does Dany remember a lemon tree and a red door from her childhood when she spent that whole childhood in a place with no lemon trees? To name just a few.

Martin has written science fiction set in societies that have regressed to medieval technology and culture and see their actual past of spaceships and high technology as legend. I can see him enjoying planting a plausible suggestion that A Game of Thrones is a post-apocalyptic setting but leaving it impossible to prove or move beyond plausible hints.

The whole story is full of cheeky winking like that. The Iron Island religion is pretty explicitly about Cthulhu, and there are entries for Kadath and Ib in the wiki. That’s very explicit, and he probably knew weird dorks would start arguing about whether the Old Ones were behind everything and would show up. If I knew more about genre fiction, there’s probably other winks like that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Miching Mallecho posted:

Remember when there were a couple of articles saying "house of the dragon has toned down violence and sex and won't be like GOT"

Bunch of reactionary dumbasses who didn't watch any episode.

:lol:

Did they not see the farting butt close-up and severed balls?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like that in the pov shots of her looking at the people loving, a lot of them notice and turn to look right into the camera, like “what are you looking at, weirdo? I’m busy trying to suck a dick here.”

Not a lot of privacy at that brothel. More like a swinger’s club, which is a fitting setting for your creepy uncle, admittedly.

Is Daemon’s girlfriend the White Worm, then? Or is that Otto’s spy name?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The show got pretty inconsistent with how close to total collapse society is in the later seasons. Does nobody oppose Cersei because they’re starving and there aren’t any armies free to take her on, or because they don’t care? The world really telescoped down to the core cast after a certain point, which was the point at which world-building and story growth stop and the narrative needs to move toward wrapping things up.

Did anyone ever ask how the hell people in Martin fantasyland have a given name derived from Circe, anyway? It’s just a coincidence, like how people who live in a world without French or Anglo-Saxon have names like Jamie and Caitlin?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The last great monologue I can remember is the one about Cousin Orson smashing the beetles.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

double negative posted:

the worst parts of this show are when it tries to make us care about the events that we saw at the end of got

It would be interesting if these characters discover important information about how to stop the white walkers that is lost by GOT times that implies Jon actually failed and doomed the world, or learn that something we saw apparently succeed in GOT actually won’t work and instead causes something worse to happen later—but only if there’s absolutely no followup and they just leave it all hanging as an unresolved background plot element.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I kind of enjoyed Ramsay as just a total maniac being performed as if he were a character on the Adam West Batman show. He’s the only character having a good time in many scenes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is this the new Wizard Master equivalent for this thread?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Geoffry of House Eyppstynn

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Can bug daughter still see the future? I was surprised to see that nobody in her family realizes that she predicts a lot of episode 8 in episode 7, but in this most recent one she just seems normal-weird and not like she’s seeing horrible bloodshed all the time. Her mother was right there listening to it and saw her kid without an eye like a week later—you’d think she’d recognize the significance of it, but maybe the rest of the time she’s talking about Hodor and Arya killing the king white walker and poo poo that’s obviously too stupid to be real.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel stupid for not understanding this earlier, but is bug daughter married to her own brother? I thought incest was not tolerated by GoT society.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arguably Bran’s story involves time travel, though nothing ever comes of it beyond a Hodor predestination paradox. Is bug daughter the first show character to be able to accurately see the future? I imagine that nothing will come of her warnings. It would be wild if this show winds up with setting up some element of the Snow series.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Helena does say a weird ominous thing very quickly at the start of the scene about something dangerous under the floor. Her other two are very straightforward for a Cassandra-style touched person, but I guess you’d have to know to listen for something intelligible. The thing about one green party and one black party falling apart from their actions isn’t even really a prophecy, insofar as Alicent is already concerned about and wants to avoid open fighting specifically because it might kill her family.

I wonder if Helena will get a vision of Cousin Orson.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Dothraki Dinar is going to take off any day now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So that’s what was under the floorboards. Bug daughter seems so coherent the rest of the time. I guess prophetic visions are just like weird telegrams you have to read out verbatim.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well, we already know people in game of thrones are into incest. I guess feet should be no surprise, really. How do they act out scenarios involving getting stuck in the washing machine, though?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

I’m glad we got a “I studied the blade” speech from Aemond.

I think Rhaenys held back on incinerating them all because, while it might feel good and it would look super cool, it’s not really a great decision. Aegon seemingly had the support of the townsfolk and Rhaenyra’s still all the way on Dragonstone, so burning the poo poo out of everyone and then peaceing out and leaving everything in chaos might not work out so great in the long run. And it’s ultimately not her fight, it’s Rhaenyra’s. Rhaenys isn’t going to be queen either way.

That said, she definitely should have fried everyone and then declared herself queen.

She already killed all the townsfolk, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alicent is sympathetic, but I don’t see this conflict having much of a sense of a true crisis or unavoidable tragedy, even if the other side does some horrible atrocities, because it was all completely unforced. Even on that day, she probably could have hosed off with her kids and sent a message saying she was abdicating. I get that there’s a point after which they can’t back down, but right now it seems like they’re driving everything.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just had a horrible thought:

I can't get rid of creeping dread at the thought that at some important moment in this series, an image of king Bran from post-season 8 appears via weirnet to try asking questions or tries to observe and is surprised to discover that people can see him, and he fucks things all up for our characters, who have no idea who he is or what's going on. Maybe there are significant consequences or he inadvertently reveals important information. The whole time we can see his half of a conversation with someone else. Then, we will see the other half of this scene in the Jon Snow series later next year, where Jon Snow visits Bran to try to learn something important and he's the other half of the conversation.

Please tell me this is too stupid to happen. I've been afraid of some kind of link between the two series since they introduced the prophecy about the white walkers, which absolutely doesn't belong in this show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ShowTime posted:

There's been no mention of any factions so far, because the split just happened. But their banners are black, their banners are green. I dunno, but it makes sense to me.

Edit: Also, forget to mention clothes. Look at their clothes through the last few episodes. They wear green and they wear black.

Black still seems to be the official color of the ruling family. Aegon is wearing black clothes with the dragon heraldry on the chest at his coronation.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ShowTime posted:

If clubfoot has taught me anything, Bran is just there to scope out them feet. Turns out, people that can't walk really like looking at feet.

I would be ok with it if Bran just appears as a phantom outside of people’s windows leering at their feet and acting like nobody can see him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

covidstomper58 posted:

Littlefinger was in that other bad show dude.

The Wire?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cole could probably get away with crushing his head, as it would just be the three of them together and he and Alicent could get their stories straight first. I don’t know how she’d get rid of Cole, though. Maybe having a psycho misogynist as your enforcer does not create the most stable status quo. She better hope he never figures out why that one chair smells that way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It is kind of unfortunate that a show that does such a good job of crafting a nuanced and sympathetic portrayal of Alicent, particularly in the context of a deeply misogynistic culture, have ensured that she will be memed into oblivion with foot jokes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Helena has a dragon. Does Aegon?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dragon of the House, coming this fall to TGIF.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

He does, it's named Pussy Wagon.

Original series really missed out on not doing a “Drogon my balls across your face!” in the last season.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

roomtone posted:

i dunno if this is verboten in the thread cos i read a few threads around and can't remember where people get pissy, but in the book people are saying cole just straight up slits his throat and is much more 'active' in what we saw in the past episode than a horny henchman, but they've changed that.

i think they're really trying to sand down some of the harder edges on the green side in the general effort to make alicent a sympathetic character because she's stuck in the patriarchy, so her sanctioning/ordering beesbury to die right there would've been something they had to cut.

for what it's worth i think alicent's general confusion and dismay all episode was pretty affecting, because of cooke's standout performance in this show, but there is an aspect of it where it's like...i'm sympathising with alicent because i too am finding some of the plot stupid.

Isn’t the book supposed to be a collection of primary sources or an oral history or something? Maybe the show is supposed to be what “really” happens vs the book being the legend that grows up later or what is reconstructed by historians piecing together biased and partial accounts. I’m not going to read the thing to find out, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

roomtone posted:

yeah i guess so. i'm not gonna read it either because i hear it's just a kind of dry plot recap and the show is filling in way more psychological and plot details than it had anyway, and i'd rather be on the ride for the first time, but my point is the same - they're selecting/inventing the things that serve alicent being a victim/struggling against patriarchy rather than the things that make her an evil bitch. which is creating a bit of whiplash imo cos alicent in ep6/7 vs alicent in ep8/9 are two different human beings.

it's kinda interesting we're getting like, one version of the event as filtered through the current media landscape. 30 years ago we would've gotten 'that slut rhaneyra, why does viserys care about her more than me!', in 30 years we'd hopefully get some weird insane version of ASOIAF where misogyny isn't the only negative force in social dynamics which must be preserved for historical accuracy

I’d love to see the 80s primetime soap version of this show where they slap each other while yelling bitch and whore.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This show does a good job of making dragons look utterly alien and scary as poo poo. The eyes especially communicate the idea of an intelligence unlike anything human or generally mammalian. The game of thrones ones seemed more anthropomorphized somehow. Maybe they had fewer close-ups of their faces.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s the point of a leak in the age of streaming? I’ve seen maybe three episodes of this season on the same day they aired.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dunkacino gets my respect any time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And they have a plan.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Daemon+Joffrey+Joffrey(aged to 18)+Joffrey

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Very disappointed that Storm’s End isn’t the ruins of a big futuristic cooling tower like in that one crazy guy’s theory.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maybe I’ll read the books in the interval between seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does anyone on the show other than anime pirate brother know that dragons don’t actually do what you tell them? Or is this a very recent development?

Or is it like a personality thing where some will politely do a funeral pyre because they respect context when they get the burn signal and some just love carnage?