Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
one of the cool things about GoT and a few other shows and movies was the use of real environments, costumes, people and etc over green screens and CGI where possible.

so that's in the trash now, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Mameluke posted:

Well technically this show's events don't actually depict the end of the dragons, because GRRM can't finish a story to save his legacy. The dragons die after (and ugh I guess I should spoil it now that the show has begun) Rhaenyra's sullen son presumably kills them all in the unwritten Fire and Blood sequel as a way to exorcise his trauma from watching one eat his mother

some of the dragons survive because they gently caress off on their own or else they get non-Targaryen riders because there are more dragons than family members so they offer them to volunteers and the riders just take the dragons and leave

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

So he's got some loving grudges.

Stannis also sails around the broken arm then helps defeat the Iron Fleet + land troops on the island during the iron islands rebellion.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

Preston is so deep into the lore that when he won a dinner with GRRM, he asked him several deeplore questions about ASoIaF and GRRM was like "Jesse what the gently caress are you talking about?"

this is funny on a few levels

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
winter

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Every death in the whole series was Ned warging into things.

He’s just that unlucky.

Later he tries to kill Arthur Dent

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
magic = money and power
wizards = wealthy people
dragons = helicopters

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

I just finished the season one finale, a pretty great show (not a book reader). I'm not going to skim 170 pages but I'm curious what the week to week reaction here was.

Misc throughts/observations:

1. Loved the shift for Daemon, starting at "this guy might be a kingslayer" to "dang, no he's the only sane one in the room" by halfway
2. This all could have been avoided if Rhaenyra was 1% less of an absolutely selfish b
3. Viserys' actor gave a great performance all through, perfect job for that character
4. The time skips & recasting was a little jarring but hey, no waiting around

Psyched for season 2.

Also most of my memory of GOT has evaporated, but here's a HOTD -> GOT timeline/character question is one of Alicent's boys the king that was burning lots of people prior to the events of GOT? Also, this is the war that made the Baratheons famous circa GOT timeframe, right?

there's a few shows where large time skips work well. Rome it was super weird. Also the compression of events but the ran out of money and time lol

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
westeros is rightfully the domain of the old gods and their children and will be again.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
a lot of that poo poo is added in to just give some mystery to the world. Liek what is this far flung place? Well we don't know but here are some vague legends from a dude's notes who said he traveled there. Some of it might have a kernel of truth somewhere in history but was integrated or distorted with local legend. Some of it might be real.

the point is not to fill it in, but add flavor

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
kit harrington in True Detective

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the white walkers are gonna be back in another 40k years. ASoIaF: 40K

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
op theme: The Chain by Fleetwood Mac