Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pattonesque posted:

I thought the battle was fine but a much better way of going about it would be for Daemon to be wearing full armor.

You can run pretty fast in full armor and it would have made the archers seem less idiotic -- you could have arrows constantly clanging off Daemon until he stands still for slightly too long and one of them finds a gap

I don't disagree with you dramatically, but think about it for a second : that's a prop safety nightmare.

They only did that in Throne of Blood because Mifune was legit insane as an actor, no one reasonable would ever do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

On the one hand that’s mildly silly, on the other, cooler hand : gently caress yeah, crabmen.

In conclusion they should put crab-people in more shows. Give me murderous werecrabs in a reboot of Will and Grace I don’t care.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah it's completely unrealistic that a global military power with the ability to rain destruction from the skies via something indiscernible from magic would lose to a non-political fighting force in caves and not have a firm strategic goal before going into a protracted campaign.

That's never happened before and I totally understand why everyone is harping on that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CODChimera posted:

i knew someone would eventually try to make this comparison despite the fact that one situation is a fantasy tv show with dragons and the other was modern day and also real.

Yes, except jet fighters are far deadlier than dragons and people were arguing that the fantasy show was unrealistic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CODChimera posted:

what do you think the crab peoples tunnel logistics look like compared to the talibans?

how do they hide in caves and still threaten ships in the channel? this isnt a guerilla force defending their territory

I know neither, but the crab pirates are puppets of a whole nation who had god knows how long to set that place up as a base before this conflict even started. They could very well be insanely well set up down there, and that's assuming that there's not one or more exits in other places.

Do we know it's not a guerilla force defending its own territory? Are we taking that as a given?

And they threaten ships by existing, just like a force holding a castle. If they're still there when the attacker leaves, they just pop back out and go back to raiding shipping. What do you think the point of attacking pirates IS?

(What happened to this being a dumb fantasy show and real life has nothing to do with it.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CODChimera posted:

someone earlier said jokingly(?) they should shouldve burrowed into the sand like crabs which would help but yeah give them giant crabs and let them live IN the sea. that would make the dragons less effective and make a whole lot more sense.

well you compared it to the war in afghanistan?? just accept that the crab people were dumb, no idea why anyone would want to defend them lol

????? I was making fun of the people calling it unrealistic?????

I don't give any amount of shits about the fantasy dragon politics show except as it involves weird politics and dumb wigs, dawg.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like the issue is that they threaten ships even when actively besieged. Like, they bring out siege weapons to attack ships which could be burned to cinders by a dragon well before they could be dragged back in again. It'd arguably make more sense if they just didn't include that.

Yeah that was probably a mistake.

But if we're pointing out flaws, then the critical lack of crab dudes and giant crabs is a much bigger issue. Or at least like make their weapons out of coral or something fun instead of generic pirates.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Daemon does his whole attack, the dragon comes in, and finally the Crab Feeder reveals the bigger ruse: The entire island comes to life and a giant pincher pinches the dragon in half.

The last shot of the crabfeeder there's intestines or other ropey organs coming out of his torso, and for the most wonderful second I thought they were tentacles. The version of the show I imagined from that point was better than anything we're gonna get. That's right, the real threat to Westeros has been fishmen pirates all along.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, I didn't like that. I took him getting his beat in the tournament in episode 1 to mean this main character isn't some invincible badass. Now I'm taking it to mean he's an invincible badass but Cole is supposed to be even more of one.

I like the show so far, but hope we don't get too much of that.

There's a vanishingly unlikely chance that they could take this opportunity to show characters having more nuance than "god of combat, eater of souls" and "useless, will die with harsh glance". Like Daemon and Cristan Cole are both good because they're expressly not tournament fighters and in so much as they win it's because they're not following "the rules" and fighting more like it's a real fight, hence Daemon's trick with the lance and Cristan beating Daemon was actually because Daemon wasn't expecting a "fair" fight. Then they could use this level of characterization throughout the rest of the show to have different fighters developing differently as they gain more real-world combat experience in different environments and learning different lessons. They could even have some of that stuff mirror interior character traits as a metaphor.

One of my favorite things about Justified (besides it being up there with Mad Men in terms of giving you an excuse to drink bourbon) is that Raylan isn't just the best at fighting. He's specifically the best at his very specific quickdraw thing and being smart about where he has gun battles. In terms of actual marksmanship, there's the sniper dude who is legit better at any of the "normal" things like accuracy or rifles or anything that's not cowboy high noon pistol dueling. And at least from my memory of the first couple seasons, whenever Raylan gets into a straight-up fair fistfight he gets his rear end laid the gently caress out (which is why a solid chunk of his fighting is "hit hard in face with butt of gun while surprised").

It'd be nice to have to something more interesting then everyone being a D&D fighter that just rolls attacks until they beat their opponent's AC and a mandated generic fight choreography happened. Combat could be cool on screen violence and also serve as a greater metaphor for the intra- and inter-character conflict that has like stakes and meaning.

But if they did that people would probably just call it anime bullshit or something instead.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

sure okay posted:

RIP to the Crab Feeder, who never got a single line, and is now the king of being paid scale.

He’s paid grayscale, surely.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Barreft posted:

The Mercy chapter written by GRRM back in like 2004 (his literal latest Arya chapter currently written) must be shared in full or else no one would believe it's true

Yeah, it really brought back my sophomore year of highschool.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah. We're definitely gonna find out some poo poo once he dies, maybe earlier. Every sci fi fantasy book is just a confession from the author.

We're talking about the guy who posted on his blog about being hospitalized for poo poo in his dick hole.

That's the kind of thing he shares.

Imagine what he hides.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That DICK! posted:

i dont really see how you adapt this - it only really works as like a chapter, and even then you're hearing a second-hand in-universe account. she flies off and returns having suffered unimaginably horrific wounds and no one knows wtf then she dies. what is NOT said or shown is what makes it terrifying. they'd have to show what happened in valyria to make it a thing, and what are they gonna show? draculas? pots and pans robots??

it could maybe carry an episode, at best, and i highly doubt we're going to get a show about the Fairly Practical Reign of the Reasonable King Jaehaerys

I'd watch a dracula who's really a pots-and-pans robot attack a blonde girl, yeah.

poo poo, that's probably already whole genre in Japan.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Martin has written science fiction set in societies that have regressed to medieval technology and culture and see their actual past of spaceships and high technology as legend. I can see him enjoying planting a plausible suggestion that A Game of Thrones is a post-apocalyptic setting but leaving it impossible to prove or move beyond plausible hints.

The whole story is full of cheeky winking like that. The Iron Island religion is pretty explicitly about Cthulhu, and there are entries for Kadath and Ib in the wiki. That’s very explicit, and he probably knew weird dorks would start arguing about whether the Old Ones were behind everything and would show up. If I knew more about genre fiction, there’s probably other winks like that.

One of the less prominent Greyjoys is named "Dagon" if that isn't a big ol' tip of the hand.

But also :

Archmaester Ragney who wrote that time is a wheel (Robert Jordan's actual name was James Ragney).

One of Brienne's suitors in the past was a dude named Brian Potter and she gave him a big lightning bolt-shaped scar on his forehead.

When Catelyn takes Tyrion prisoner at that inn? 3 of the dudes are named Lharys, Mohar and Kurliket and they're given matching descriptions to pair them as The 3 Stooges.

When in doubt, assume all random knights are named after football players. Seriously, so many of them are. To the point it's less like a reference and more just using team lineups as a lazy name generator.

Howland Reed has a castle that doesn't have a fixed location. It moves. It's Howland's Moving Castle.

There are hundreds and hundreds of them. We used to joke about them constantly in The Bad Thread, but it's impossible to keep track of all of them because there's so many.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

Grover, Elmo, Kermit and Oscar Tully.

That's even this time period, no idea what they're going to do with those names in the show.

Enh, gently caress it. HBO can do a cross-promotion.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is about magicians fighting Napoleon (well, one of them)

Nah Norrell does illusion poo poo for The Navy a bunch, it’s just that only Strange is actually on the ground with the army.

I thought about mentioning it cause it’s my very favorite book, but I worried it’d be misleading seeing as the book is 800 pages of 19th century academic wizard arguments, a love letter to Regency novels and lengthy footnotes that happens to also have a couple chapters about the Peninsular Campaign and the Hundred Days.

O but how those footnotes send my heart aflutter.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

RIP sassy Baratheon.

You died as you lived, with an 8 year old's sword inside you.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I know for a fact there's someone out there who was surprised by the incest turn, and I want to know everything about how they live without the capacity to learn.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

ruddiger posted:

I think he was supposed to be a Bracken since they have generational conflict with the Blackwoods.

Ah word. I saw a 4-legged mammal rearing on his chest and thought it was a stag, but this makes much more sense.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Did they not see the farting butt close-up and severed balls?

That's a loving thread title right there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

Why is there so much random fire in King's Landing?

It's their only light source besides the Sun, I'm guessing it's pretty popular.

Of course, the immediate response to that is that 1) that doesn't match the lighting in the show and 2) this isn't Barry loving Lyndon which is a good response because it's mine.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Devils Avocado posted:

If I remember the book correctly, little boy Blackwood’s name is “Benjicoot”.

I can see the resemblance.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

zoux posted:

Hoping they hop back and forth so we don’t lose her and Paddy Consodine.

My dude is already down two fingers and his back is a solid 15% weird leprous sores.

2 more episodes and they can just recast him with with a half-eaten ham.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

MrMojok posted:

There is some resemblance between Alcock and D’arcy. This is not a spoiler, the casting is known

https://twitter.com/hotdsource/status/1568751776907808768?s=46&t=jymddOpbpBkK017mbxHHLQ

Who says "casted"? Is this like those monsters who say "lighted" instead of "lit"?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Brigadier Sockface posted:

GOT is back baby

Finally, we all have got hot d.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

I like that in the pov shots of her looking at the people loving, a lot of them notice and turn to look right into the camera, like “what are you looking at, weirdo? I’m busy trying to suck a dick here.”

Not a lot of privacy at that brothel. More like a swinger’s club, which is a fitting setting for your creepy uncle, admittedly.

Is Daemon’s girlfriend the White Worm, then? Or is that Otto’s spy name?

Daemon's the White Worm. He used to be The White Oak, but, y'know... it happens to a lot of guys.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

The show got pretty inconsistent with how close to total collapse society is in the later seasons. Does nobody oppose Cersei because they’re starving and there aren’t any armies free to take her on, or because they don’t care? The world really telescoped down to the core cast after a certain point, which was the point at which world-building and story growth stop and the narrative needs to move toward wrapping things up.

Did anyone ever ask how the hell people in Martin fantasyland have a given name derived from Circe, anyway? It’s just a coincidence, like how people who live in a world without French or Anglo-Saxon have names like Jamie and Caitlin?

It's entirely "take a name that sounds oldish, then spell it badly" with no thought given to making a cohesive whole. If you actually try to think about language in ASoiF it falls apart entirely.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

All that good stuff (which I agree is good) is also the franchise cashing out the goodwill it had built up in the previous 3 seasons. All those rely on caring about the characters/their impact on other characters, which was less of a thing in later seasons as newer characters were less impressive (and some older ones were lobotomized). Killing Tywin/Joffery is shocking, but it's not replicable.

Dawg did you just spoiler tag something that happened in a show 8 years ago in the thread for the prequel to that show.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

It was spoilered in the post I was responding to, so I reciprocated.

Fair point. Sorry.

It is in fact roomtone who is being silly, not you.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is consistent with Jon being an idiot who would absolutely want to go brood on a block of ice.

He's gonna go hang out at Cold-chella.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Typo posted:

realistically both the Dothraki and Unsullied would have stayed in Westeros and carved out their own fiefdoms, there's no real reason to go back, -they- are the strongest military power in this new land. So why go back? Now that Dany is dead her great Khalasar will split and be divided between various strongmen/warlords, at least some of whom will want to rule over portions of Westeros.

the Dothraki would probably have done something similar to what the Mongols did in China/Persia, which is to just turn themselves into sedentary ruling caste of a conquered land over the course of couple of generations

So no Bronn wouldn't have gotten Highgarden (lol wtf was that), some Dothraki warlord would have gotten the Reach and repeat the process by which the Andals intermixed with/displaced the First Men when they showed up

The whole season and ending sucks butts across the board, but the cherry on top giving me the middle finger will always be making Bronn Master of Coin, a job he is clearly and elaborately unqualified for, and then in the same scene talking about how they need to find someone to be Master of War, a job that he is supremely qualified for.

It's outright mocking the viewer for wanting well-written things. In the hands of a great writer that could be some kind of master judo subversion, but it doesn't work in the least and it's just tossed off so it feels extra insulting.

It feels like someone trying to play a prank on you, but they got drunk and they poo poo in your neighbors mailbox instead of yours. They hosed up being lovely!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Typo posted:

show Euron is just so fking wacky you just kinda have to love him

No. No you do not.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

What time does the new episode drop? Or are they postponing it due to Queen poo poo or something?

In 25 minutes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Raise your hand if Matt Smith reminded you of Spike from Buffy on this episode.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

In hindsight assigning the youngest hottest Kingsguard to spend lots of time alone with the horny teenager wasn't the best plan.

This might be related to giving the horny teenager hiring and firing power with minimal oversight, but alas there's no way to tell. Too bad there was no way to prevent this.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I'm actually kind of confused about this, because the original series is pretty explicit about kingsguard (Jaime in particular) not being able to retire, hold lands, inherit, etc. It's a major plot point revolving around both Jaime and Tyrion's relationship with their father. But I'm rereading Game of Thrones, and early on Robert tells Ned he's planning on making Jaime Warden of the East. Ned objects in part because Tywin is Warden of the West, so Jaime would eventually inherit that and be leading both the West and the East. But Jaime shouldn't actually be able to hold any titles or inherit at all. Maybe GRRM just hadn't fleshed that out in the first book?

Unless I'm misremembering (and you're rereading so correct me), Ned reacts with total surprise because this would be as out of protocol as what happened to Ser Barristan, no?

And I think the whole point is that the Kingsguard makes a certain amount of sense in a violent era where it incentivizes the poo poo out knights to die gloriously (what with them not having much to live for), but completely shits the bed in the peace time and just turns into weird political machinations. Which is, you know, the point. Thematically it shows how short-sighted the power structures in Westeros are and then non-diegetically it creates a poo poo ton of drama.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Hey so in that first scene with Daemon, that was him using some kind of minor magic right? Like, the implication is that he did some force trick/Witcher sign thing to frenzy the horse, right?

Best episode so far, this series is shaping up really well.

Glad young Alicent/Rhaenyra go out with a bang, the new actresses have some big shoes to fill.

Why are you assuming this?

Have you ever interacted with a horse? They're really not hard to scare. Like, bushes are terrifying and eldritch things from the point of view of some horses.

Pennsylvanian posted:

I'm not as down on the banquet scene as some people are, but there is some clunky writing in this episode. Daemon showing up as the hooded mystery man at just the right place and getting lucky in how his wife dies. Getting the significance of Alicent's dress explained to the viewers. Cristen being found out by a guess because he was the only Kingsguard not wearing a helmet. Then him being allowed to carry out a murder in public, then run away, then letting the Queen speak to him alone.

On the other hand, that last scene Alicent and Otto had together was really great.

The dress line was pretty bad, yeah. I loved the entire rest of that scene, and I totally understand needing to explain the color, but ooof that line just clunked. I feel bad for the actors who had to come up with some motivation for that because, seriously, what the gently caress would the characters be trying to accomplish with that exchange.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Starks posted:

What would the characters be trying to accomplish with reckless gossip about the stepmother of the bride? Have you been to a wedding?

Yeah, but it wasn't gossip, it was discussing something that to the characters was just world knowledge.

It'd be like me at a wedding asking someone if they know what Portugal's flag looks like. And yeah, obviously the in-universe thing is supposed to be him saying, "whelp, looks like she's getting ready to fight", but since their interlocutor obviously already has that information (since they answered the question), it's really weird to make it a question.

Tender Bender posted:

He is surprised and unhappy about it, but the objection he voices and the ones in his head are solely about the consolidation of power by the Lannisters, not the idea of a kingsguard having those titles. But yea regardless it wouldn't be out of line for the series if someone said "Well this kingsguard can inherit anyway."

Maybe the Warden title functions different than lands and castles, since it doesn't seem tied to any specific holding?

"It's Jaime Lannister, is it not?"
Robert kicked his horse back into motion and started down the ridge toward the barrows. Ned kept pace with him. The king rode on, eyes straight ahead. "Yes," he said at last. A single hard word to end the matter.
"Kingslayer," Ned said. The rumors were true, then. He rode on dangerous ground now, he knew. "An able and courageous man, no doubt," he said carefully, "But his father is Warden of the West, Robert. In time Ser Jaime will succeed to that honor. No one man should hold both East and West." He left unsaid his real concern; that the appointment would put half the armies of the realm into the hands of the Lannisters.

Whelp, never mind. Georgie is bad at writing?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O also, I did just realize that the dress thing was kind of a gently caress you to colorblind viewers.

I read the books so I guessed it was green, but I suppose I would've just been hosed without that.

Good job, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

roomtone posted:

They explain it via dialogue anyway so your anti woke joke doesn't even work

???????????????????????????

No I sincerely realized that I would not have been able to understand the plot without having read the book, which isn't exactly great even if it's a relatively niche problem at around 5% of the population.

They just say what color Oldtown uses as a war banner. Not what color her dress is.