Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Solid premiere. Honestly, as long as it never gets as bad/cornball as Game of Thrones from Season 5-8, I'm totally fine with it never being as good as Game of Thrones Seasons 1-4. Just being a solid decent show would make it better than like, 99% of television.
Seems like it could be a fine show, and I really like Paddy Considine. Get them checks, Paddy!!!

blue squares posted:

Also doctor who man is ridiculous casting for the malevolent badass. He is so unbelievable in that role
I took it more as a petulant sadist, I guess, who's good at jousting. Matt Smith seemed believable enough for me in that role, I don't know I never watched Doctor Who. I guess I mean he seemed believable enough as a whiny prince who's good at tournament fighting, the only other thing we saw him do was cut up people restrained by his goons.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The theory makes sense, Ned and Robert were White Walker quislings the whole loving time, which is why they had to be taken out first before the threat got any further south.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
the hands down best GoT show related media is fuckin BAAAACK. DEM THRONES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNLGWi4Knj0

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Moving a little too slow for me honestly. I wonder how long it can really hold onto casual fans without the sort of gut punches that season one of Game of Thrones had. I woulda preferred seeing Daemon's dragon appearing through the clouds at the very end, about to confront the crab-feeders. Like, at least that'd give the ending a little bit of an oomph rather than just seeing some generic guy looking around, and woulda gotten the ball rolling on that plot already.

PostNouveau posted:

Oh poo poo, Daegon's fiancee is the lady from Ex Machina, Maniac and Devs.

So she's not some rando off the street with a terrible accent like Shae.

Why in the gently caress is she doing that accent then? :psyduck: She's usually such a good actor.
it's such a bad choice. I'm sure she's a decent actress, but she's super not pulling off that accent and in a show with decent to strong performances her scene this episode stuck out like a sore thumb.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pennsylvanian posted:

I was extremely tepid on the first episode. It really felt like if a Season 7 GoT episode had better writing and production, what with so many characters stating obvious facts or talking about what the plot is doing.

The second episode has me much more interested. This really felt like it was supposed to be two episodes, but they cut the beginning off, stretched it out, and made it into the pilot.

EDIT: Yeah, that accent is not great. It really does remind me of Shae in a bad way.
It's funny, I thought the first episode was pretty solid and was more or less tepid with the second episode other than the confrontation at Dragonstone. Like, I kept waiting for compelling things to happen, and then I was like "Wait there's only ten minutes left."
Plus, plenty of stating of the obvious and talking about the plot in this ep too. Not that I mind really, I know it's necessary... but like, Corlys teaching Daemon what the Valerions are all about. Matt Smith shoulda given a Little Britain style "Yeah, I know"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

radlum posted:

It feels as if she was told to make an “exotic” accent to denote that she’s a foreigner but she chose such a weird and vaguely racist one that just takes me out of the show. I don’t recall Grey Worm, Melissandre or Missandei having such awful accents.
Honestly I don't recall anyone in game of thrones sticking out this bad with the whole funny accent thing, I can't even really remember what Shae sounded like but it definitely wasn't this comical

Snowy posted:

Any opening sequence more than a couple seconds just seems like a massive waste of time. Just flash the title and get on with the story imo
Yeah...I kinda wanted them to do their own original theme with a totally different opening sequence, but I guess I get why they just went with GoT redux.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, which is why I like the choice to make them friends around the same age. I'm not totally sold on HOTD yet but I do appreciate a lot of the choices Ryan Condal made to bring human drama/characterization to a loose fake-history outline without a lot of that explicitly detailed.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hoping the triarchy have some fun aesthetic flair cuz everything on the beach seemed pretty boring looking other than the horrifying eye catching (and eating!!) crab torture
Can they ride giant crabs???

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is that really something that makes Rhaenyra unsympathetic? I dont think characters need to be rational and consistent in their logic to be someone you can root for. She's a teenager.
I will agree there's way less levity, tho ill take dour n self serious if it eliminates the possibility of GoT's late seasons sense of "humor".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I remember Bronn in seasons 5-8 and all i can say gently caress no gtfo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

I mean it's not hypocritical or inconsistent at all. The reasons she's upset about Alicent marrying her dad don't exist in the little girl. She's okay with one situation and upset about another, different situation.
Oh yeah, agreed, it's a whole different dimension with her best friend and father seemingly contriving this secretly behind her back

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
the crabfeeder is so incredibly not interesting/memorable looking
he just looks like a bad guy in Ghosts of Mars or something lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Brienne book plot is better just because it has loving Nimble Dick Crabb

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So Rhaenyra swore on her mother and lied to her friend's face, right? I was totally cool with that, considering it's none of their drat business and she may love her mother but it's not like anything is gonna "happen"

But then watching the behind the scenes thing at the end, Milly Alcock was like "Ah, well, you know, technically she didn't lie because they didn't gently caress ;) " and I was kinda confused, like was that maybe an original intention in the script that got changed later on? That's not what she swore. She swore that her and Daemon never touched each other, which uhh, they did.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 14, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
oh ok cool that makes sense, I guess that's what I get for just skimming the lil bits after the credits. she is usually pretty funny in interviews.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
kinda wish we'd seen laena finding and taming vhagar...seems like a big deal

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I do kiiiinda wish we got another pre-skip episode before this one to flesh out Larys, Laena, and Harwin more though. Maybe even show us Laenor and Rhaenyra's early marriage life. I mean Larys only really had two scenes before this on-screen rise to pure villainy, and Harwin barely had poo poo. But I guess you can only do so much.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
is it even reasonable for Alicent and Larys to think this could result in Otto's return as Hand? What just cuz of his previous experience? He did get fired for his self-interest. Viserys is weaker than ever, and Rhaenyra now has an outright antagonistic political force on the Small Council against her so I guess I could see it.
I guess it's the easiest move but surely there's somebody else Vis could think of. The reason you fired him is still potentially active and valid, really more than ever.
Pick good old senile Beesbury imvho

I guess to be fair it seems like current Viserys has less power and decisiveness than ever

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 26, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Criston Cole has the kind of understandable resentment Monica Lewinski has for Bill Clinton more than like Nice Guy vibes.
And yeah, he was rejected, and he gave her an unrealistic offer considering she's the heir of Westeros, but it's more "Hey boss, how about we try having a real relationship instead of me being your gently caress thing under the constant threat of death or castration."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Barreft posted:

I never read F&B part 1 cause I knew GRRM wouldn't finish the story, so this is all a surprise to me. I like it
i read and enjoyed it (kinda fun reading what is basically a fake history of Rome but what if emperors had dragons) but remember almost nothing outside of the vague outline so all of these are nice surprises too lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"Stop! Who goes there?"
*taps pin*
"Oh, skulking bug guys. Alright, y'all can come in."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They oughta have the guts to start the next season off with an original theme.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Roman Reigns posted:

After season 8, GOT is gonna need to do a lot of wiggling to get at the top for me.

So far they are off to a good start
honestly seasons 6-8 GoT were just dour. I wasn't disappointed by the final season because by then it was already that level of piss quality and had been for a while, if anything by the final season I was used to it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I supported Criston Lewinski Cole but all I can say now is why is he NOT in jail

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

deoju posted:

Best episode of the season.

Best episode since (GOT SPOILER) bad pussy.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

covidstomper58 posted:

Personally, I felt this episode was garbage.
I did feel it was kinda rushed and mediocre but almost all the acting is good and convincing so it's hard
I cant help but feel a lot of events are just like "ok this is on the fire and blood checklist of events" without building characters to it in a way classic early GoT didnt feel
Like, i can clearly see the seams

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's funny to me that Larys is a baby level schemer, it's funny that Alicent and the show call it out but like...characters like Varys and Littlefinger you had difficulty perceiving their motivations early on whereas Larys will just stare at you at every public gathering all like :B if ur working together

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think I'd just assume the Lil boy got a DWI

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching this show assert how patriarchal and resistant to female rule westeros is just makes it 10000x funnier that cersei managed to blow up a holy building with like 100 beloved and important people and rule on her own without even an heir, all in an evil queen costume, and she wasnt just immediately overthrown

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly I know it had to happen for the plot but sending her second youngest son by Strong who was clearly not ready really made no sense. I get that she saw it as the easier mission, and sure it's easier than going to the North but Storm's End is also close to the capital where the guy riding the largest dragon in the world who really really hates you is.
"You, you'll be around Lord Stark's age, find common interests... YOU, well, you're like a 10 year old treating with a 40 year old Baratheon guy. Don't worry, he'll like you because Rhaenys (who isn't really your grandma anyway) has Baratheon blood."
How about just...send Rhaenys....

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My favorite theory has always been the one where like, Arya accidentally kills the post execution warged spirit of Ned cuz it's just so hilarious and stupid and cruel. Really want it to be real. I forget what animal he supposedly was.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like the idea that the cons of having Stark blood include having to die like 4 or 5 times in quick succession until you're finally just a cockroach and it's over

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I do wanna watch Succession but I dunno I find following a buncha rich people kind of boring unless they have dragons

That DICK! posted:

if i'm not gonna like any of the doggone people, you gotta put dragons or wizards around at least, or something. i dont give a poo poo about this chairman of the bored bullshit. zero bags
yeah this

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

guys my questions were serious and i would like some actual answers por favor :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-B_EICis8

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
For real though, my answer is "feh!"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wow, was really hoping Paddy would get a nomination at least. Always liked him since Dead Man's Shoes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So glad Pedro Pascal got a nomination for You've Seen This Character 10,000 Times Gruff Father Figure Protector With Little Girl in the extremely Mid Videogame Zombie Show.
I mean I don't think HotD was super amazing but Paddy deserves more recognition for his acting just in general

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hence why we'll be getting Sims/Monopoly movies from Margot Robbie.

Super Deuce posted:

Can I just call up HBO and say, “hey what if you just make a new show with Turtle from Entourage” and get paid?
You can just be that guy potentially but the key is you need to be a failson.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Missing out on Kit Harrington's deep acting chops is truly heartbreaking. I guess now he has to go back to living in the manor with ygritte (sp???) and saying stupid poo poo about Palestine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chemtrailologist posted:

I just wanted a show that was Qyburn and Jaime having adventures in Essos. No serialized plot, episodic darkly comedic content only.
tbh