Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is it common in this Westeros era to have more than one wife? Seems like that’d be a thing for a king that hasn’t had a male heir in like 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s no way they’re going to actually feature the White Walkers stuff. That line was pure fan service. “Hey remember you saw that actually happen?”

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The GoT theme song gives me a shot of pure adrenaline from the show’s heydays and I can’t fault them at all for going with it. If anything I was disappointed we didn’t get more of it. D&D poo poo the bed but the theme song can do no wrong.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think they did enough to foreshadow the Alicent marriage. I mean they’ve been spending time together but this is clearly one of those major twists where it’s Love over Duty and they haven’t done nearly enough to signal the depth of the relationship between the two.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also I don’t understand how Gold Cloaks is like an actual mobile army that you can just up and move to Dragonstone. Aren’t they the equivalent of city police?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There really should be like some mention about the impact of an entire city’s police force going missing.

Or maybe this was the point all along. That they never needed the cops :shrug:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m pretty sure there’s gonna be an epic battle scene with crab people in about an episode or two and I can’t wait for Miguel loving Sapochnik to direct the poo poo out of it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Cristian Cole feels like a very GRRM name. Like the dude is obviously gonna be way more significant than his basic rear end name suggests.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol at how bad the battle was. I agree with the broad strokes. Pride gets Daemon into this mess but it also gets him out of it. Predictable, but pretty fun.

But the actual battle, holy poo poo was that awful. They described exactly what would happen before it happened. Thanks for the suspense?

And none of it makes any sense. How the gently caress do crab people not anticipate the arrival of a dragon, having battled it for literally months? How does an entire army reach the battle zone without being noticed from high-altitude archers? To begin, how does being holed up in a cave constitute a tactical advantage? If they can’t come out they can’t disrupt your ships, which was their whole MO. Just park some dudes at the entrance and starve them out. And then the final swordfight takes place off screen. Wow.

I still mostly enjoy the rest of the show but lol that a GoT show butchers a battle sequence so badly. I honestly don’t think there’s another GoT battle that’s been so bad. Maybe the Dorne stuff but everything beyond the wall, illogical as it was, was still heads and shoulders above this in pure entertainment.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Oh don’t get started about the editing. I guess it’s not noticeable unless you’re looking for the misc en scene or whatever. But I was shocked by how poorly scenes were stitched together and how jarring the segues were.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're gonna marry my best friend, huh? Well, how do you like me marrying yours??! *Rhaenyra marries Otto Hightower*
Viserys would probably be really happy with that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s not impossible that Daemon and the Sea Snake are losing the war. Hasn’t it been said that very few men in Westeros have actual combat experience? Active, savvy pirates presumably know a bit more on that front.

They’d still need to do a lot more to explain how a freaking Dragon isn’t giving them an insurmountable advantage. Maybe something about how Dragons can’t go underwater. Whatever. Thing is they never bothered to even explain it a little bit, and it runs completely against what we know from GoT — that Dragons are a superweapon that require either equal force or specialized tools to defeat.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Barreft posted:

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2010/06/09/a-casting-we-will-go/

It used to say 'current mood: horny' lmao

e: just noticed he had to mention 'young' women. cant just say twelve women. what a sicko
Creepy and responsible for an awful casting decision

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MrMojok posted:

Neither of them seemed to think about what would happen if someone walked by and noticed no kingsguard on duty in front of Rhaenyra’s door.
I don’t think many people walk around the castle that late at night, and also we’ve seen in GoT that kingsguards do enter and remain in their protectee’s chambers for conversation or whatever.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I did appreciate that they were more subtle about their actresses’ nudity, though I’d rather they swing the pendulum the other way by having, well, a bunch of swinging dicks.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s pretty funny that Otto gets exposed as a schemer as a result of him being honest. And Viserys uncovers the liar by, well, someone else lying to him. This was a good episode.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I did a big lol when they showed the King’s sore- and scab-covered body humping Alicent. Least erotic sex scene ever.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On average it’s about the standard of seasons 5 and 6, which is plenty good enough for a watch imo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The thing that also struck me about Rhaenyra’s scene with Criston is just how childlike she was. Normally what you see in these scenes is sultry conversation and seduction or whatever. But all she does is giggle and prance, seemingly incapable of verbal communication, like a literal kid. Until that point in the show she’s depicted as a pretty assertive woman. It made the scene all kinds of hosed up imo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I also definitely don’t remember and can’t distinguish seasons 4 to 6 so I may have been talking out my rear end when comparing this show to season 5. All I vaguely remember is that seasons 1 to 3 were great and then it got less great.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are people forgetting that Gerold Hightower was one of the kingsguard at the Tower of Joy? That’s the only time they mention that house’s name in GoT.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Couldn’t they have mopped up the blood and dressed the groom’s wounds before the ceremony lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

Maybe I’m a dumb dumb but why is the Queen so upset?
She probably feels a bit betrayed, although it’s not like Rhaenyra lied to her. I think she was spooked by her dad’s parting words.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

i say swears online posted:

royce guy confronts matt daemon over dead wife, calls it suspicious, makes an outright accusation

daemon mentions inheritance and that royce is now his vassal

royce is blindsided and sits down

if he's totally unaware of inheritance law, why does he find the death suspicious?? this is very stupid and seems like something that could have been written more skillfully
yeah agreed. that was pretty dumb. it’s continually a thing in this show that inheritance is at the front of people’s minds. this scene “just sort of forgets” that

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Chemtrailologist posted:

It says it outright on IMDB and Wikipedia. There've been season previews that show it and several articles have said it. I'm not sure how you've avoided it all this time.
Some of us just watch the show and not the entire media hollabaloo around it.

I too appreciate the use of spoiler tags. It’s really harmless. There’s a spoiler-friendly alternative thread after all.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Goofy rear end storytelling to have a dude narrating the significance of green in the moment though. Would be better if they breadcrumbed it by having that significance mentioned earlier in the episode. Then it’d be a real mic-drop oh-poo poo moment.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Starks posted:

I’m not trying to be hostile I’m genuinely confused. How is it a “gently caress you” if they take the time to explain the colour of her dress and what it means? Wouldn’t it be worse if they didn’t have that line in there?
If I recall the dialogue literally says nothing about a dress. A colorblind person would have to infer that the discussion about colors somehow relate to Alicent.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Llamadeus posted:

Alicent just entered and they're literally looking at her during that dialogue. I don't know how that can be interpreted any other way.
Maybe you could just accept that this colorblind person experiences the world differently from you and stop implying that they’re actually just really bad TV viewers.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can’t wait for Daemon to drop fools into the hole at the Vale. That was always a fun set.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

How on earth does Criston Cole stick around after that? I don't mean in the immediate aftermath, obviously the show just gave him a free murder in front of everyone pass. How does he stay at the Red Keep with Laenor around?
I assumed he slipped out amid the chaos but someone said he was brought out by guards so idk. In theory they don’t know what started the fracas and the deceased doesn’t seem to be from an important family so they could have just said whoop let’s deal with it later as well.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It was not my intent to harass, I just wanted you to think about why the writers put that dialog in. I can't think of a single other thing a typical viewer might interpret the reference of green to be, other than the dress. I could very well be wrong. But if you can't either, maybe revise your opinion instead of being so defensive about it?
It’s obviously odd that two people are suddenly talking about the color green. And yes, one might infer it has something to do with the character who just entered the room. But if you can’t actually see the color green how the heck do you know what specific thing they’re referring to?

I don’t think the creators did this as a gently caress you to colorblind people but you guys are really lovely to insist that obviously, clearly, definitively this was not confusing to a colorblind person. What the gently caress.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think the Larys scene kinda works. The latest episode is basically a major turning point in Alicent’s character arc. Last episode she trusted her childhood friend’s word — no questions asked — and inadvertently sabotaged her father’s career. This episode she operated in the shadows, interrogated witnesses, collected gossip, wielded political symbols and seized political moments. They’re depicting a loss of innocence, and it obviously culminates next episode in a literal recasting of the character.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

Rings of Power does a lot of fun stuff. It also does a lot of bad stuff. Parts of the world feel incredible to watch. Others feel awful. The only real issue I have with it is Young Ned Stark is an awful actor, but his scenes are fun because the the characters he has interacted with thus far are good. Dwarves are what I’m invested in so far. And possibly Galadriel again if she does something again. I really liked the snowy scene with her.

Versus this show, I also can’t stand Matt Smith, but the show has been better. Though I’m nervous the tone of the characters change too drastically with the actor swap. We’ll see soon.
Wait, that was young Ned? No wonder he looked so familiar. I’ve only seen two episodes of RoP but I loved that actor in the Tower of Joy sequences.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s like if warplanes stopped being a thing for 100 years. You’d be shocked and terrified to see it again. People are understating the terror of a giant thing in the sky.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

When did the previous winter happen? If the interim is like decades I could totally see a society, especially one as chaotic as Westeros, failing to prepare for winters in general.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That ending was whack! I loved the Harwin actor. Super charismatic. That death wrecked me. I’m slightly willing to believe the circumstances given that fire absolutely was an awful problem back then.

The recasting shook me at first. But Emma D’Arcy is absolutely terrific. Olivia Cooke, I’m still on the fence about. The performance was slightly one-note. I’m sure we’ll see more once they branch her beyond the sanctimonious wife character.

Overall I’m super into the show and excited that they haven’t wrecked this yet.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also lol that they got the Me and Earl and the Dying Girl actress. What a big jump this is gonna be for her.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ruddiger posted:

But seriously gently caress Alicent and her “oh but that’s not what I wanted!” bullshit
I dunno, based on the conversation we saw I don’t think she could reasonably expect the razing of a castle. It’s clear Larys just decided that forcing her hand was the way to go.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

“I will burn” is probably my favorite line from a character burning to death. So great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That scene raised all kinds of questions for me. If the baby is a Targ, they’d resist fore, so what we should have seen is a live baby covered in the ashes of their mother.