Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I've only read the first 3 or 4 SOIAF books, does Cersei actually take the throne in later books, or was that an invention of the show?

There's an entire subplot involving a fake Aegon seizing King's Landing that was cut from the show. It probably explains Dany's heel turn much better, because she shows up to a pretender with an adoring city fully backing him and she loses it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
re: Criston Cole, maybe the strict Kingsguard oaths are an issue here? There's no potential for retirement, so you have Kingsguard members old enough to die in their sleep, which means of the 7 members there's maybe 2 or 3 at a time who are actually in their prime and able to fight.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah him being allowed to just peace out was weird, it felt very TV logic. I could easily buy that he just like ran off and in the commotion no one followed him though. "Ser Christen fled the hall, and the king's men who gave pursuit quickly lost him" etc

To me it seemed like, everyone who could do something was busy. None of the other kingsguard will stop him, no one else will mess with a kingsguard, and lover boy was busy wailing and being another layer of distraction.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Criston probably has Alicent covering for him now, as she works up political allies, and Rhaenyra isn't going to let Laenor banish her fuckboi in any case.

Daemon doesn't want a strong woman. His two stable relationships are with his niece, who he wanted to gently caress but backed off when he realized she was into it, and a prostitute who depends on him for protection.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 19, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Pennsylvanian posted:

The line about deaths at Dothraki weddings gets better every time we see a Westerosi wedding.

Let's be clear: the Red Wedding had the highest murder count on the show and Edmure and his bride were still together at the end of the show unlike literally every other couple we saw married on screen. They might even be the only surviving romantic couple left.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The irony is that Otto is manipulating the king for his own advantage, but in this particular instance that got him banished he was being completely honest and acting in the realms best interests.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Yeah, they did a good job with casting her. There's no real reason to change actresses

Allcock came into this as "girl who looks like Emma D'Arcy" and leaves it as "Emma D'Arcy better be able to hold her own against her". She deserves recognition for it, though it'd be hard to subtly work her back in this particular show.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

the Song of Ice and Fire tv universe is basically 100% on at least one member of any queer relationship getting killed

Nearly 100% of straight relationships lost one member in the original show: we established that just Sam and Gilly (and come from behind winner Edmure Tully +Bride) were left.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Odoyle posted:

I conjecture the Dragons House and Power Rings quality battle boils down to lighting and camera lens selection. Ring show looks like the Time Wheel show and that show looked like Princess Xena. The cinematographer(s?) chose a lens that didn’t open up wide enough to provide a challenging depth of field to isolate the subject from the background in intimate shots. Everything is therefore in focus and looks like it was shot on a cheap fixed-lens camera with a narrow f-stop. I guess they want their expensive digital mattes to look sharp on a 4K home display or something?

I know nothing about cinematography but this matches my feel of Wheel of Time. It looked expensive but seemed low budget in terms of how it was used.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Loop completely around and redo the original Game of Thrones plot once the history catches up, but better.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

pospysyl posted:

Great episode, you could cut the tension with a knife. Larys is such a goofball though. I feel like if you're going to kill your own brother you should do it for a specific goal, not an undefined favor. It's a big card to play, it's not like you can kill your brother twice.

I don't understand why he wants to mess with the great thing he has going: his father's the hand of the king, his brother is banging the crown princess, and he's a close councilor to the queen. Whichever way the succession plays out he's going to come out on top.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

She also was doing her "duty" for her dad and getting on goon king's good side and making babies for him despite his rotting body. No cheating with Spaniard Jake Gyllenhaal either.

I mean broadly speaking, there's very few true villains in the show. Cripplefinger is the outlier, but everyone else is doing their duty or coming from a fairly reasonable position (Cole turning spurned nice guy aside). They're just making very human mistakes along the way, rather than malicious intent, that increasingly build up the tension.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Haha yeah it's really funny that the first half of the episode was filmed with day-for-night somehow worse than what they had in a bunch of 40-year-old no-budget mst3k movies. Really feels like someone should have looked at the end result and said "okay, this isn't working, take the filters off and we'll just admit that it's daytime." There are visible shadows that look like it's 3 PM, the sun is clearly shining on people's hair, clouds and colors and contrast are all wrong.

Fun episode though.

It looked much better, you're not wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khF2KTyYx3Q

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Chemtrailologist posted:

I always assumed the vow of celibacy for the King's Guard was more or less the same for the Night's Watch. No sex allowed, but whore town is 20 minutes that way. wink wink

Technically not allowed, but if you're hitting up the brothel no one's gonna care that much.

In the original series we have confirmed sex-havers Meryn Trant and Jamie Lannister, and it's not hard to imagine the other non-Barristan Kingsguard were equally loose with their vows given their overall quality.

HoD Kingsguard are presumably a step up, but we have a sample size of two right now, one of whom just exists as a Scottish accent.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It needs to be said again and again that Aegon and Aemond's actors' age mirrors their characters: the actor for Aemond really is twenty, he just happens to look like a baller worthy of inheriting Matt Daemon's title as archtroll of the Targaryens.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The tea scene is great to contrast with Laenor's "murder" in both audience reaction and the presentation. Both show the rivals sympathetically, going out of their way to remove a thorny issue when murder would be the best solution.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

To be fair, Daemon still murdered someone for that solution.

I didn't elaborate but basically, Daemon definitely murdered a rando so a noble could get off, while Alicent went out of her way to try to help the girl and is portrayed far less flatteringly.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Like this is definitely leprosy, which is confirmed as the vibe theyre going for with the whole Baldwin-style mask he had going.

Early on I thought it was just infected wounds from the throne or gout. Gout would be a fun one.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah the issue there is the audience are idiots.

Dyana was clearly not murdered, even though we spent the whole scene expecting her to get merked. It's a GoT-style subversion of expectations, they're just the expectations we developed in the show itself.

What disease Viserys had didn't really matter, aside from the subtle implications the Iron Throne itself was hurting him, so much as the general idea that he is definitely dying.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

double negative posted:

daemon’s agelessness is way less egregious than criston’s, who at this point should be dealing with accusations of witchcraft

He's got Paul Rudd's skin care routine.

Honestly it's just been like twenty years, I know lots of people who don't seem to have aged from their twenties to their forties. It's especially jarring to me because I feel I added fifteen years when I shaved my head.

In Matt Daemon's case, I noticed some subtle wrinkles in the last episode, so there may be a little makeup work. And his body language as an actor is very different from earlier seasons, he definitely seems more mature than he did. It's especially contrasted with Aemond who has his old cockiness.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I mean I feel they needed to commit to Cole murdering beesbury. Toss him out the window.

Episode 9 was okay but kinda dimmed by expectations from the brilliance of episode 8.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Daemon wasn't hand because he is a psychotic bastard who hasn't found a problem he didn't want to murder. Laenor aside, which still technically did involve murder, that's been his go-to solution. That he's chilled out in his middle age doesn't mean he's any less psychotic cf choking Rhaenyra.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm down for some tapestries and mosaics showing the history of the Targaryens. Just flip through a bunch of those and maybe show them getting stained with blood as the season progresses.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Rory McCann a la Sandor Clegane was 6'6", so good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
A Jon Snow show would be dependent on there being some great mystery or drama to explore North of the Wall with the White Walkers, and it just really sounds like there isn't one. The creative well is dry and even Kit Harrington could recognize it.