Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm really disappointed that they didn't bother to come up with another cool title sequence. It also seems kind of a waste to hire Ramin Djawadi only to make him do the same score again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I can never tell good or bad either

Corly's kid's wig was really bad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why has Westeros been in medieval times for like 10,000 years? Their history is like three times as long as human recorded history, but there has been like zero innovation or cultural development.

There's a book called Hard to be a God where scientists discovers a planet that has been forever stuck in medieval times. One of the scientists comes up with a theory that every time their society is on the cusp on evolving some idiot rear end in a top hat comes along and ruins it.

quote:

Unless we’re meant to imagine that they have a poor understanding of their own history and just imagine that people 1,000 years earlier dressed just like them and were exactly the same, like medieval images of Caesar dressed in a suit of armor and poo poo.
That's actually a pretty solid theory, considering that that was exactly what medieval people did:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tristan Cole has to be the dumbest character in game of thrones history, and that bar is pretty high:
"the princess won't give up all her power and privileges to run away and become an average schmuck with me:qq:"

"I heard this weird rumour....."
"YES I hosed THE PRINCESS:byodood:"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

People do real dumb poo poo and make bad decisions. But I can see how you don’t want see that in your entertainment.
I honestly wish that Tristan Cole continue to make the dumbest decisions in season 2 until he dies by slipping on a banana peel, getting impaled on his own weapon and stumbling into the mouth of the nearest deagon.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MrMojok posted:

how Minas Tirith and the area surrounding it (at least as depicted in the films) doesn’t really work. There should be a lot of farms etc. instead of empty plains surrounding it.

I'm not a fan of this line of thinking honestly. In a movie you make and shoot what is necessary. You can't dedicate time and resources to explain gondorian agriculture to satisfy the tiny minority that would care about that, especially not in a movie that already is so dense as Return of the King is.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I do actually enjoy the blog. Especially the article that explains how badly Saruman hosed up and that every outcome of the war will end with his head on a spike.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah you can't tell me including a few CG barns and hayfields would have been a bridge too far for Weta Workshops. It's a valid criticism IMO, especially with how fantastical the imagery was for Minas Tirith itself. Adding outskirts, farms, and homesteads outside the walls would have grounded the visuals and made the world feel more plausible.

It's time and resources spent on a thing that only a tiny minority of the people who watches the movie will care about or even notice. Spending time on Minas Tirith makes sense because that's where the majority of the movie is going to happen. And once you go down this rabbit hole, where does it stop? Should Jackson have added shots of the sewer system? A city that big is gonna need that after all. What about livestock? Smithies? The kitchens that somehow have access to cherry tomatoes?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vegetable posted:

House of the Dragon got an Emmy nom for Best Drama but nothing else.

And that's extremely generous.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I thought CPR was extremely ineffective, but a little Googling says it might be very effective in drowning cases and very ineffective in heart attacks.

CPR is used to keep the oxygen circulating. It can't start the heart or revidert people. It's something you do to keep the brain from dying until medical personell arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s very silly, but I kind of believe it because how else could you have people named Circe without a connection to Earth culture? How else could you have people name Caitlin on a planet where French never existed?

How could you have people named Jon on a planet where cats doesn't eat lasagne?