Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ninurta posted:

When the Hand reported on Daemon's big speech in front of his men I bet one of the witnesses is the poor guy who got coitus interruptus in the middle of the room.

I thought they were gonna play around with an unreliable narrator there, but then Daemon just doesn't defend himself at all and pretty much cops to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

GoT itself was dripping in atmosphere and history from the first episode and this episode felt oddly generic despite all the blood, tits, butts and dragons.

It did not seem to set up a lot beyond the succession conflict. Like, Otto and Daemon hate each other, Alicent and Rhanerya are into Daemon and that Cole dude, the ship dude and the king's aunt or whatever probably resent the king.

It felt like the GoT pilot set up a whole lot of stuff, and this was a pretty standard court intrigue show that is not much interested in anything outside the court.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MLSM posted:

Is she a total nutjob or something?

Well, she's a Targaryen, so ...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

I like the change. The first few episodes of Game of Thrones has you trying to keep up with dozens of characters from different houses, which was a little overwhelming.

I did think it was a pretty good hour of TV. It's just gonna be a different kind of show than I was expecting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the bearded dude on the small council who was like "Girl leader? Bah!" a Stark?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Toplowtech posted:

Being the only one voting for a Queen at all succession party, which is easy for them because all the north already allows female succession so having a female ruler wouldn't cause succession troubles in his region while supporting male only succession may encourage troubles.
Also brutally decapitating people.

I've been watching some Preston Jacobs videos about Fire & Blood, and apparently, the Targs also allowed female succession until very recently (in relation to the current story). He goes through the succession rules, and the Queen Who Wasn't (Rhaenys) got super-robbed by that vote at Harrenhall that's briefly mentioned at the beginning. By all right she should have been named queen, but she got out-politicked, and the huge Harrenhall Council made up a "no girls allowed" rule on the spot. Before that, circumstance was the only reason they'd just never had a Targ queen.

Obviously Rhaenys and Rhaenyra's similar names are intentional, but this is really and Osha/Asha situation you gotta name one of them something else guys.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

Is this also sarcasm

I mean, I know what GRRM is going for here. The Targs make themselves seem otherworldly and godlike by having like 4 names and riffing little variations on them so there is never gonna be an Otto Targaryen or a Dickon Targaryen. It works fine on the page but just causes too much confusion in a TV show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

I agree; I've read all the books (including Fire & Blood though it was like 9 years ago when it was first published as a short story in another collection) and I don't remember them ever saying that the purpose of a joust or melee in this kingdom was to fight to the death. Sure, deaths would happen sometimes (like the guy The Mountain kills in S1 of GoT) but they were unfortunate accidents, not a forgone conclusion of the tilt. Especially since the participants are usually lords and knights of powerful houses, aka people that "count" in this world, not like the dehumanized citizens of Kings Landing you see in the City Watch raid.

Yeah, they don't give you anything about the guy Daemon killed, but it's wild to go crazy on someone like that when a lot of the combatants are related to the most powerful people in the realm. Make yourself enemies for life with an entire house by killing one of their sons or cousins. Good character-building for Daemon, really helps see why the small council is so afraid of him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Don't think Daemon killed anyone? He blatantly cheated against the Hand's son but that guy lived (and Daemon should've been DQ'd and had the victory handed to that kid), and he lost his other match. The murder melee was two other dudes, I'm pretty sure.

Oh I guess I'm just bad at watching TV. I thought he was the dude who got super pissed off and went ham on someone.

It seemed like it led to a montage of deaths as well? It was cut confusingly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know to what degree they expected Viserys to make a big public deal out of finalizing the succession, though -- I get the impression that what they wanted was for Daemon to get pushed aside and Rhaenyra slotted in pending Viserys taking another wife and hopefully fathering a son.

He pretty much had to make a big public deal out of it because it goes against the precedent that made him king. So he's getting public oaths from everyone that they're cool with this even though it's obviously hypocritical.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I get the feeling that Hightower is going to be the Littlefinger of this show. Obviously he's pimping his daughter out to be the next queen, but I think there's more. When the maesters find the baby is in breech, they go to him first rather than the king. The baby is last seen alive in the hands of a maester. The Hightowers have always had strong ties with the maesters and the Citadel, so it's possible he arranged for some tragedy to befall the babby.

Would be a very risky plan. What if the king doesn't like his daughter? What if she can't produce an heir if he does like her? Orchestrating the baby's death also puts Daemon right in line for the throne.

I don't think the maesters killed the baby. It was coughing and struggling right after its birth.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

And it is manifestly obvious that he has no goddamn business being on a throne.

It's even literally killing him

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Apparently they're introducing a lot more characters than were just in the pilot, but I can't tell from the media if it's more characters or just a big time jump that has different actors playing a lot of the characters from the pilot.

The show is definitely missing a breakout star so far. No one is as magnetic as Tyrion or Varys or Littlefinger yet.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sure okay posted:

Needs some Tyrion smacking the poo poo out of Joffery energy, but otherwise its fine. Just fine

If we're gonna get the kind of blunt, smart player that were the really magnetic draws of GoT, I think Corlys probably has the best chance. He has that demeanor of someone who gets the real power politics and his character is as close to a self-made man as a feudalistic society can produce.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe, as some have suggested, the Snow series is going to deal with the WW not truly being gone or something, and that's why they included it. Or maybe it's just an easter egg like the dagger.

Yeah, I saw a youtuber pitch that this show will be a Better Call Saul-style prequel that's got some sequel elements. One of the Targs starts getting visions of their own, the White Walkers weren't actually wiped out, it ties neatly into the Jon Snow show, etc.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

i liked the guards not flinching or shifting or anything at the 25,000 pound CGI dragon practically walking over them. i was yellin at the scream, woah buddy, you better take a step

Standing like 5 feet from the funeral pyre. I hope this dragon gets what she's asking for here

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

If the GoT finale had been better received I’d think that the last scene was a “look at how wrong the Targaryens are about their self importance, an unrelated teenager ended the big threat, not the Targs”

Since the finale was such a poo poo show I feel that they wouldn’t want people to relate it to this series, especially this soon. I don’t think they are retconning GoT, but I don’t think this is just a “remember this!” wink to the audience.

Just wait until spinoff #8 where we learn Arya was a Targaryen all along.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I've only read the first 3 or 4 SOIAF books, does Cersei actually take the throne in later books, or was that an invention of the show?

We'll find out in the Winds of Winter!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

thepokey posted:

Really wish they left the whole prophecy thing on the cutting room floor. Its hard not to sit there any think "yeah but don't worry about it because the whole thing ends in a giant wet fart where the army of the dead dont even make it past the first kingdom after the wall"

With the trailer featuring it even more, I'm starting to think they really will slip in something to reactivate the White Walker threat for the Jon Snow show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:rip: Winds of Winter

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

The opening sequence tries to mirror GoT so hard but serves no purpose. The original big map zooms were tailored for each episode to introduce us to the geography of the world and where the major story beats would take place. This is just a pale imitation that serves no narrative purpose.

They really should have gone for something drastically different.

Bring back the map but it's just:

Red Keep
*camera pulls back and swings around the world*
Red Keep
Red Keep
Red Keep

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Koirhor posted:

At least everytime a new star trek show comes out they make an effort to make the title theme music unique, nope not hbo just loving recycle that poo poo with very uninteresting graphics

Yeah, shoulda gone the exact opposite of what they did. New music, map intro

Apparently the blood is running down a family tree, which is super unclear.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 29, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, Daegon's fiancee is the lady from Ex Machina, Maniac and Devs.

So she's not some rando off the street with a terrible accent like Shae.

Why in the gently caress is she doing that accent then? :psyduck: She's usually such a good actor.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The king's like "They want to marry a 12-year-old? That's so hosed up. I'm gonna marry a 15-year-old."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sure okay posted:

This show needs s Cool Good Guy. Currently it's just Weak, Nerdy Good Guys and Cool Fashies.

They're all absolute monarchists. Cool Good Guy king had a conversation where he was like "I don't want to marry a child," and Otto was like "Hey man, you literally own everything. You can do whatever you want." And Otto was correct in that assessment.

The show definitely lacks some grounding by not getting out amongst the rabble as much as GoT and not having a guy like Tyrion with some street smarts. Everyone this show follows is way up their own asses with all the concerns over court poo poo. Corlys is probably the closest, but it doesn't really show other than he's a lot more honest, direct, and practical than everyone else.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 29, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hope every time they do a time jump they put it in relation to Dany, so the whole show (which will probably wind up having a lot of things more important than anything Dany did) will just be a big countdown to Dany.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
He's getting led around by the nose by Otto Hightower and the grand maester whose name I forgot, and he doesn't realize it. They talked him into thinking that he must marry right away and steered him to Alicent.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't necessarily think it's the wrong thing for the Viserys to get married ASAP. If he dropped dead, there would obviously be a huge crisis.

Should probably think about a few other candidates than a child and his daughter's best friend.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I bet they have a big normal battle with the crab people and then when it looks like things aren't going well Daemon shows up on a dragon and wins the day.

But that's just super wasteful. You gotta open with the dragon, save some of your soldiers lives.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe all the good characters will be after the time jump

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

People in old photos do look pretty boring, maybe it’ll seem all modern and cool when it jumps forward

Aegon III is always doing sick kickflips. Viserys II is a graffiti artist.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Darko posted:

How can you not root for Corlys. He's always right and tired of this poo poo as nobody listens to him.

He's probably the best they got, but he's simply more grounded and direct than the rest of the nobles. Like a somewhat more blue-collar hereditary lord. He doesn't seem to have any clever schemes in the works, and he's not funny.

He did just try to get the king to marry his 12-year-old daughter though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It's been a long time since I read the book but the king married Aemma when she was like 10 or 11 and got her knocked up when she was 12,, which probably explains why she had so many issues with childbirth.

I really dislike the whole concept in GRRM's world that girls are wife material as soon as they hit puberty. It doesn't track with what we know of medieval society. Betrothals and arranged marriage was common amongst nobility, but nobody was loving and making babies until both parties were in their 20s.

That's super interesting. I'll admit I let GRRM's medieval pastiche lead me to think this was how poo poo went down back then.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mirotic posted:

On the other hand, Margaret Beaufort (Henry VII's mother) had him when she was 13, and Catherine of Aragon (Henry VIII's first wife) was 15 when she came over to England. GRRM has been open about the Wars of the Roses (Margaret's era, and in living memory for Catherine) being a strong inspiration, too.

Whoa, pedo island did pedo poo poo back then? Crazy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

What are they going to do, ban the guy who’s using live Valyrian steel?

Get real.

It's OK because the dude using a real flail in a tourney beat him up by hitting him while his back was turned so justice was served.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vanilla Bison posted:

Her being 12 is weird even on the politics level. If the concern is having an heir pronto, marrying a child who hasn't even gone through puberty is a bad plan!

Yeah, I can see the argument that it would end the long-simmering resentment with that side of the family, but it most definitely does not solve the heir problem, which everyone is telling him is super urgent.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

What was up with Otto turning up at Dragonstone with a maester, some egg-touchers, and a dozen dudes in armour to stand down Daemon? Dude has a literal army holed up in one of the most defensible fortresses in Westeros and the biggest loving dragon imaginable who could sneeze and wipe out Otto's entire party. If negotiations failed were they planning to run up to the castle walls Monty Python Holy Grail style and start hacking at them with their swords?

They were most likely going to retreat if negotiations went badly. Otto has his guys put away their weapons before Rhaeneyra shows up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Quentyn Martell chapters in ADwD rule

Book Brienne is the most boring person in the world, and she becomes a POV character in AFfC. The show's Brienne is a million times better.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

Book Brienne is nearly identical to show Brienne except for the whole zombie Cat thing.

No in the book you can read her thoughts and they are super tedious whereas in the show she is constantly kicking rear end and doesn't talk all that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

I really don't have an eye for wigs at all... unless you can physically see the hair underneath or it looks like it's made of plastic I can't really tell a good one from a bad one. None of the ones in this show have struck me as particularly good or bad.

Yeah I can never tell good or bad either