Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: nvm, tangential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

grittyreboot posted:

Night's Watch is insanely ancient. Jon Snow was the 998th Lord Commander of the Wall. I wanna say this they're already in decline by this point.

The Night’s Watch was already decline during the reign of Jaehaerys and Alysanne in 48 AC.

She flies up there on her dragon Silverwing, sees that things are in a sorry state, and props them up somewhat with a couple of donations, but it’s all downhill from there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Targaryens had been hanging out on Dragonstone just off mainland Westeros for a dozen years prior to the Doom of Valyria, because they had a vision of the Doom, you see, and then they laid low there for another century before setting off to conquer Westeros because ???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: misread

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Corlys Velaryon’s writing has has problems, but Steve Toussaint has done a fine job with what he’s working with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bobjr posted:

I think there’s only 2 dragon riders right now? Daemon and Rhaynera and that’s it, since Viserys’s died.

Rhaenys rides Meleys.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fullroundaction posted:

Yeah they really did go out of their way to go “everyone feels bad about this”. They even dedicated multiple scenes of dialog to exactly that.

Does Corlys feel bad about it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Targaryen rules of succession are “whoever the departing monarch said was next, unless someone else has a bigger army”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CapnAndy posted:

They can send dragons literally anywhere in the world to melt whoever the gently caress they want. Aegon's failed "conquest" of Dorne taught them some valuable lessons, however: dragons can't hold castles, conquered territories don't necessarily stay that way, and as hard as it is to kill a dragon in battle, dragonriders die to treachery just like anyone else. They don't want war with the Free Cities, and that's absolutely who's bankrolling the Crabfeeder. Westeros is very much a sad little backwater compared to the combined Free Cities in terms of literally everything; art, science, finance, actual wealth, and military might. What keeps them safe is that the Free Cities are very much not combined and spend all their time feuding with each other.

The Triarchy is three of the Nine Free Cities. Surely Pentos, Braavos, and Volantis are fed up with their poo poo to varying degrees.

Volantis in particularly is not as reliant as the Seven Kingdoms on the sea lanes through the Stepstones, but they’ve all got to hate to see three of their rivals cooperate and grow strong together.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have zero investment in the fight with the crab people.

I hope it goes like that one battle where Tyrion was knocked out because there was no budget to film action sequences with a lot of actors in them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toplowtech posted:

LOL tons of dragons burning and eating dudes, killing each other; that's literally the theme of this show.

The Targs need to fight each other, not some nobodies. :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What are they going to do, ban the guy who’s using live Valyrian steel?

Get real.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Balerion (cat) is the rightful King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

I have zero investment in the fight with the crab people.

I hope it goes like that one battle where Tyrion was knocked out because there was no budget to film action sequences with a lot of actors in them.

:smaug::pipe:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tender Bender posted:

Something my friend pointed out is that Viserys's infected cuts seem to now have him missing two fingers. Love the metaphor of the throne cutting away at him, it's heavy handed but it works

They’re not missing. They’re just green. :laugh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

one of the king's advisors

Lyonel Strong, Master of Laws

He’s about the only person on the small council who is at least trying to give good advice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
She should have brought down that stag.

Neuter your rival’s nameday symbolism.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Disguise your ships as islands. Simple as.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The Dragons are that guy in WW2 that strapped bazookas to his Piper Cub.

Bazooka Charlie, Warden of the West

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He expertly set that trap for Otto.

He’s a master baiter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bloodless Worm

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pattonesque posted:

That drives me nuts lol. None of the major houses suck at fighting, they wouldn't be major houses if they did!

The Tyrells are really good at sitting outside of Storm’s End for two years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Admiral Bosch posted:

I really enjoyed this week's episode but I'm honestly surprised nobody else is talking about that stupid knife scene. Ripping off imagery from Lord of the Rings(hidden words revealed by fire) to ascribe after-the-fact meaning to the dagger Arya uses to kill the Night King... gently caress off. In the books the dagger is a red herring that Littlefinger uses to get people pissy at each other where it turns out Joffrey gave it to the hired thug because he thought it would give him some love from Robert.

The dagger plot is perhaps the most contrived in all the books, and it’s baffling to double down on it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mark Addy’s Robert Baratheon was pretty great even though he never made it out of the first season.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Surely it’s Maxwell Hill, bastard of the Westerlands.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hightower already has everything it wants.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tender Bender posted:

How many dragons are there at this point in HOTD and who has them? I kinda thought only the royal family did but then they showed the Velaryons have some too.

They're such a big power factor that it'd be helpful to have a clear idea

I believe that there are, at this point in the timeline, 4 dragonriders.

We’ve seen them all, Daemon on Caraxes, Rhaenyra on Syrax, Rhaenys on Meleys, and Laenor on Seasmoke

We know of at least one riderless dragon, Vhagar, former mount of the conqueror Visenya.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 16, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ruddiger posted:

There’s also a couple of riderless dragons chilling on dragonstone, like Aegon the conqueror’s dragon Balerion

Balerion is dead. Viserys rode him for like a single year. There’s a scene with his skull in the first or second episode.

Something that everyone in universe would know: Dragonstone does have more dragons, but I forget if the show revealed them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Dragonpit was a folly and should never have been built.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sheepstealer is larger than any dragon currently ridden.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toplowtech posted:

The Cannibal is bigger but yes not ridden either, dragons who don't stay in the dragon pits are bigger.

Vhagar is also larger.

You know, the one that Viserys’ prospective child bride asked him about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eUT2PLyx9o

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Giodo! posted:

They filmed the scene with the dragon following him on the boat while he throws rocks at it and cries until it eventually stays on Driftmark, but I heard it got cut for time.

I would not throw rocks at the murder lizard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CornHolio posted:

Might be a stupid question then, but where are the Velaryons from? Originally Valyria, I know, but are they just hanging out on Driftmark then?

They’ve been hanging out on Driftmark since before the Targaryens roosted on Dragonstone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a fictional universe, so cultural norms can be whatever the author wants them to be, but I do find it a little strange that the parentage of Rhaenyra’s children is a major issue.

Laenor had no objections, and the kids inherit their claims to the kingdom through Rhaenyra. Either of these ought to be enough to settle the issue. They’re not bastards in any sense that matters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

reignonyourparade posted:

and gently caress it the important ancestry is actually the mom in this case anyway

And also Robert was not known to be cool with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Viserys never should have fathered a child that could put Rhaenyra’s claim into jeopardy, but having done so, he ought to have planned to abdicate once Rhaenyra reached adulthood.

I’m not saying that this is ironclad, but it would have been relatively easy for him to do. He had years to plan it, and his health should have been an impetus as well as an excuse.

If there’s a new monarch on the throne, with the blessing of the old monarch, no one is going to start a civil war to seat a ten-year-old pretender who is also their oldest dragonrider.

In ten years, they’d be in a better position for a fight, but Rhaenyra would also be in a better position to defend, having sat as monarch all that time, building legitimacy, experience, and relationships with the nobles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t expect that Mrs. “But he’d be partial to me!” would care.