Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
So, just to be clear, her uncle is about 20-30 years older than her right?

edit: wow that escalated quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Blue Nation posted:

Man I feel bad for these kids, everyone around them is poisoning the relationship between these cousins and now they straight up want to maim one another.

Someone with a better memory tell me if Alicent has worn only green since the wedding.

King Goon might be onto something with him spending so much time with his legos and leeches, man should already be dead but he just keeps on going willfully blind to the shitstorm brewing around him. And how did Otto get back his job as the hand? In the previous episode Vyseris drops a line on how self-serving Otto was, so I find him returning so soon a bit odd.

King Goon might be a little too inclined to forgiveness and is short on competent Hands.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'd say the reason for the show being so much better than the alternatives is because the writers seem to actually understand the concept of a tragedy. The characters are, by and large, doing what their society tells them is right and what they might even believe to be right, but they are all flawed and doomed in some way. Larys is probably the only real villain and he's obviously setup this as a side character who exists to encourage other characters to make terrible decisions. Except for him the characters have completely understandable motivations that might at times be self-serving, but are relatable and generally trying to do what their society says is acceptable or necessary. I don't really see why people refer to the characters as awful people, they are the products of their society and in most cases are actually generally trying to do what they think of as right. It's just they come from a horrible society of aristocrat warlords.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Things make more sense if you assume this is basically a game of Crusader Kings and all of your vassals are willing to rebel at a moment's notice during the first 5 years of a new monarch's reign. The people involved in your kid's parentage might not care if their kids are legitimate or not, but the various lords of the seven kingdoms are going to be very interested because they're the ones who are going to be willing to back a claimant to the throne in exchange for political favors when the new monarch takes over. "Hey, I got you onto the throne now please reduce crown law rating so I can usurp you more easily in five decades" or "Hey I got you onto the throne, please marry my daughter so I'm now part of the royal line". When Alicent and Rhaenyra go at it houses are going to have to pick who they want to back and having the appearance of being the legitimate ruler is better than not. Just the existence of competing claimants is a huge problem, even if they don't have any interest in the throne because someone somewhere might talk about putting the "right ruler" on the throne after Rhaenyra does something unpopular two years into her reign and then next thing you know you have a civil war or a rebellion which is something that Alicent had to explain to her dumb older son while he was jackin' it.

It would also solve things nicely if King Goon would go the Osmanli route and have his son's strangled before he dies, but that's probably not going to happen.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Who do we think got the Targ crazy, and to what degree? Here's my guesses:

Aegon - I think he's going to be a whiny twerp kind of like Dany's brother was but not super dangerous on his own.

Aemond - Here's the one I think is going to go full on mad and he has the biggest dragon now. He will be a huge problem.

I think you got these backwards. Not that Aemond won't be a problem for someone but generally insane people don't last long in an environment like this nor are they willing to put aside the loss of an eye for a dragon. Long term planning and wise judgement is not something that genuinely crazy people are good at. Aemond seems like his feet are actually grounded in reality. Reality sucks but at least he's seeing it for what it is. Aegon, on the other hand, is an idiot who would put Caligula to shame if he got on the throne and has no sense whatsoever. This is the exact sort of person that would allow someone like Larys Strong to talk him into a bloody civil war because he's too stupid, ignorant, and entitled to realize the consequences of his behavior or his short-sighted whims or that challenging Rhaenyra will kill him and everyone around him killed now that she has shored up her claim to the throne.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Ubersandwich posted:

I think the kids' attitudes have been poisoned enough after almost 2 decades of animosity between Alicent and Rhaenyra combined with their pretty deep personality flaws and interpersonal rivalries among themselves, that there is nothing Queen and Princess could do or could have done for quite some time to stop a pretty violent crash that we're heading towards.

Agreed, even if the moms buried the hatchet the kids would try to kill each other anyway because they all hate each other.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I took that to be a sign of the fact that Alicent was now wearing the pants in the family.

Yeah this is pretty much my read on it. This is pretty normal in monarchies anyway, when the ruler is sick power devolves to whoever is closest to the monarch and that can often mean the queen gets to rule.

Then again there have been plenty of monarchs who made terrible decisions about who to trust because of friendship or love of family.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

I don't get why Otto and Alicent have competing teams to go find Aegon who are now swordfighting in the street. They both want to drag him back and put a crown on him right?

Aegon is a really bad king. So bad that even he knows he shouldn't be king, which is saying something given that he's obviously a bit full of himself. It's clear that he just does whatever the last person to talk to him says because he has no real power base on his own. He has no loyal retainers, he has no friends, he has nothing but the fact that he's king. The most loyal retainer that Aegon II has is his brother - the guy who was like one-half second away from slitting his throat and taking his place. Being king might impress the gutter whores at the orphan fights, but people in real positions of power know that they rely on the consent of those below. Specifically, those below with swords (and dragons. Mostly dragons).

Also, someone should really do something about all the spies in the Red Keep.

edit: the last episode needs a kingsguard fight. A real fight. Hopefully between Cole and the guy who looks like a young Barristan Selmy.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 17, 2022

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

smoobles posted:

Would've been a huge lol to not only end the show at one season, but end it before the final episode

Still has to deal with Rhaenyra. And her five sons who I'm sure will all get along peacefully.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

motherbox posted:

Quoting my own post here because I keep thinking about it and trying to make sense of it. The most charitable interpretation I can give it is that the meeting between her and Alicent made her think Alicent is a kindred spirit and thus she resorts to a half measure, which thematically is the same mistake everyone else has made. The problem with that is it makes sense for the other character (Viserys wants his family to get along, Alicent has very deep-rooted memories of her incredibly platonic friendship) and it makes no sense for Rhaenys.

In short, themes are for cowards give me dragon immolation.

I'm going with the interpretation that she knows she has no legacy. Her children are dead. Her grandchildren are not her's. She's going full chaos mode and wants both sides to suffer because they keep making lovely plays for her allegiance and she's too old for this poo poo. So let them both kill each other.

edit: also she bonds a little bit with both Rhaenyra and Alicent. So, she doesn't want to kill them specifically, just their male children and fathers.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Sio posted:

She has two living real grandchildren that she seems to care for that she just had betrothed to her false grandchildren. I think she absolutely has a stake and allegiance in this.

Oh yeah.. guess I forgot about them. Also, it now occurs to me that they're set to marry Rhaenyra's sons which seems like she should probably want to end this little usurpation as quickly as possible because they're also going to get killed if the Greens win. Rhaenys hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Viserys is a good man with a lot of personal courage, who loves his family. He's also a terrible ruler who puts surface level familial harmony over the best interests of the realm. He's the type of character that game of thrones did well when it was a good show, and stopped doing when it became a terrible show.

In his defense, she's clearly a better ruler than her inept brothers and his belief in prophecy tells him that she should rule so he has some divine sanction to his decision. He's just really naive about his vassals and their loyalty to him because he's not enough like his warlord predecessors to recognize that their superficial loyalty is a mask for their greed and ambition.